IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah said it was his 2nd or 3rd load that day so I think it’s safe to say he already had the trailer.
Ah, good point, thanks. I assume all the loads were for Brown, too, it would make sense. There's a remote possibility he'd need to pick up a different trailer but if he was hauling pigs and dropping them off all day he probably had it with him still.

That's true, I agree that she needed to figure that out. But it was so quick, the way she suddenly began giving her venmo, and posting her grandson's clothing sizes, setting up Go_fund__ , all within 48 hours. It seemed like her priority before we even knew if Dave was coming back or not. JMO
I agree. Fundraising would have been the last thing on my mind within the first few days of a loved one going missing. You are frantic and afraid but all your effort goes into finding them as soon as possible. You want to find out if they are hurt or ill or in danger of self harm. Time is of the essence. You figure out finances later.

I just watched it as well. Some important points:
Dave did not shower before leaving
Dave was late to Eagle Grant for pick up because he had another load.
Potential crime scene is now contaminated

In my opinion, it's odd that it happened days after their anniversary, days before thanksgiving, and while family was in town. At one point she says that Dave didn't tell her much about what he was doing. She mentioned that he had prior run ins with the sheriff but his oui/dui were in the early 2000s. Would it still be the same sheriff?
Seems like we just have more questions. And Sarah is adamant that certain things didn’t happen, but let’s be honest, sometimes we think we know someone and we may not know them at all. It sounds like to me he would have had to be under financial stress. His truck payment is $2000/month and he has another truck in the shop? He works long hours, misses events….Jmo, but I would have some stress.

Very random thought….. and maybe not realistic…. What if he had a medical crisis, and a wild animal…. I don’t really want to say it, but in a respectful way I’ll say, let’s say moved him. Is that a possibility? Not sure what wild animals would do that to a human, I doubt there are alligators but just a random thought on maybe why he hasn’t been found but then again I’d imagine he’d call for help if he was having a medical crisis and maybe there would have been evidence of wildlife doing something nearby. MOO

Seems like we just have more questions. And Sarah is adamant that certain things didn’t happen, but let’s be honest, sometimes we think we know someone and we may not know them at all. It sounds like to me he would have had to be under financial stress. His truck payment is $2000/month and he has another truck in the shop? He works long hours, misses events….Jmo, but I would have some stress.
It's also very strange that she said he begins each week with a few thousand dollars cash, and is usually down to a couple hundred dollars at the end of week. The wallet was "Monday cash, full". So definitely no robbery, at least for that, and if he willingly walked away, wouldn't he need that cash?

Plus her comments that the loading site in EG was not searched for 4 days. She said her brother and a few others went there themselves and were told by a sheriff they had no permission to be there.

I think there’s no doubt that the family depended almost solely on DS income.
And as many , or most, today’s families live paycheck to paycheck…If his wife’s primary concerns were to provide for their family /children ,what can she do? You tell me.

So, as a mother with your husband / primary breadwinner missing, and having no income, you know you still have to take care of your babies. What would you do?
How would you pay the electric bill? Pay for groceries?
Oh, and Have you noticed how expensive groceries have been lately?

IDK, I’m just saying, I have no idea what happened to this man. But just put yourself in her shoes, she still has to see her family is taken care of. JMO
I completely agree, but I think the point was its sheer timing. Within 48 hours of someone missing you'd think one would still be very hopeful of his return let alone still be in such shock. I don't feel one way or another toward that pointing to any guilt there but it certainly does stick out as a little odd to be doing so quickly.

And if they were living paycheck to paycheck and felt the need to be asking for money right after he went missing it is somewhat understandable but again just stands out a bit because this has turned out to have really gone nowhere leads wise. That being said I feel for her and completely understand having to provide for your family but doing that right after the fact almost leads you to believe she doesn't think he will be coming back which is either suspect or completely heartbreaking...heartbreaking either way I suppose.

It's also very strange that she said he begins each week with a few thousand dollars cash, and is usually down to a couple hundred dollars at the end of week. The wallet was "Monday cash, full". So definitely no robbery, at least for that, and if he willingly walked away, wouldn't he need that cash?

Plus her comments that the loading site in EG was not searched for 4 days. She said her brother and a few others went there themselves and were told by a sheriff they had no permission to be there.
I know things are expensive these days, but that seems like a lot of cash to spend in a week. I would assume he uses a debit card for fuel. Being an owner/operator you’d want to track fuel purchases for book keeping purposes. Seems like cash fuel purchases would be a hassle. If all he does is work, what does he spend money on besides food?And now that $2000/month truck payment doesn’t seem so bad.

Very random thought….. and maybe not realistic…. What if he had a medical crisis, and a wild animal…. I don’t really want to say it, but in a respectful way I’ll say, let’s say moved him. Is that a possibility? Not sure what wild animals would do that to a human, I doubt there are alligators but just a random thought on maybe why he hasn’t been found but then again I’d imagine he’d call for help if he was having a medical crisis and maybe there would have been evidence of wildlife doing something nearby. MOO

I thought about that, too, but that wouldn't explain why he was on the wrong road. I'd asked upthread if, perhaps, that wrong road led to a hospital or medical facility, and that perhaps he'd tried to drive himself there rather than call for help, but it seems like the answer to that question was negative.

This case is completely baffling. I'm leaning toward either foul play or a willing disappearance, but it sure seems there are more questions than answers!

I know things are expensive these days, but that seems like a lot of cash to spend in a week. I would assume he uses a debit card for fuel. Being an owner/operator you’d want to track fuel purchases for book keeping purposes. Seems like cash fuel purchases would be a hassle. If all he does is work, what does he spend money on besides food?And now that $2000/month truck payment doesn’t seem so bad.
That's a good question. Sarah said that "Les, his employer, pays David a paycheck and takes out trailer rent." She also said that David has a debit card but he doesn't use credit cards. You're right that paying cash at a pump is a hassle, but that's the only thing I can think of that could account for at least several hundred dollars a week going into a huge rig.

That's a good question. Sarah said that "Les, his employer, pays David a paycheck and takes out trailer rent." She also said that David has a debit card but he doesn't use credit cards. You're right that paying cash at a pump is a hassle, but that's the only thing I can think of that could account for at least several hundred dollars a week going into a huge rig.
Some gas stations around where I live have cheaper fuel if you pay with cash… wonder if Iowa has the same and maybe that’s why?

I mean I don’t think it’s a significant decrease but could possibly explain it.

Alligators in Iowa. Got a chuckle out of that. There are no wild Alligators in Iowa roaming the farm fields.

An animal would eat on the spot. Not many animals in Iowa big enough to even move a human. Few brown bears but they are smaller, not huge Grizzly bears like you think of, when you think of bears. Only animal I can think of that is common in Iowa that would possibly attack a human is coyote or maybe wolf, but they are not big either. No bigger than a German Shepard dog. Most animals are more afraid of humans than humans are of them.

Seen a Gorilla at a zoo once. Wouldn't want to get in an argument with one of them. They could toss a human like a basketball. But luckily, no wild Gorilla's in Iowa either.

Some gas stations around where I live have cheaper fuel if you pay with cash… wonder if Iowa has the same and maybe that’s why?

I mean I don’t think it’s a significant decrease but could possibly explain it.
Stations in Iowa do offer a discount if paying with cash. Cash discount I have seen is usually $0.05 per gallon. The price per gallon for diesel is around $4.00 per gallon. David's truck holds roughly 250-300 gallons. So filling the tank could run as high as $1200.00. A full tank of fuel would last about 1500-2100 miles depending on fuel mileage, idle time.

If David purchased fuel at the Marker 126 station early in the morning when he spent 16 minutes there and the store was closed, he would have needed to use a debit card. Many pumps when using cards will only allow for a certain amount and then shut off. I have had pumps shut off when $100 is reached before. I think this could have been avoided if David made arrangements ahead of time with the station if that is where he fueled often.

$1000.00 cash wouldn't go very far when buying fuel for a big rig.

Police said his wallet was located in the truck but did not say if anything was missing from it. They still have the wallet

Stations in Iowa do offer a discount if paying with cash. Cash discount I have seen is usually $0.05 per gallon. The price per gallon for diesel is around $4.00 per gallon. David's truck holds roughly 250-300 gallons. So filling the tank could run as high as $1200.00. A full tank of fuel would last about 1500-2100 miles depending on fuel mileage, idle time.

If David purchased fuel at the Marker 126 station early in the morning when he spent 16 minutes there and the store was closed, he would have needed to use a debit card. Many pumps when using cards will only allow for a certain amount and then shut off. I have had pumps shut off when $100 is reached before. I think this could have been avoided if David made arrangements ahead of time with the station if that is where he fueled often.

$1000.00 cash wouldn't go very far when buying fuel for a big rig.
Didn't she say something about not knowing why he would have been at the truck stop at that hour?

I finished watching the interview with David's wife and it's pretty much everything we already know. I'm guessing he did not get fuel at the mile marker 126 truck stop because she says in the interview that Dave is on his phone and also looking around his truck on the outside of it in the video.

Something I found interesting was towards the end of the interview, Sarah said how she was traumatized by the interview she had with LE. She said it seemed like LE were trying to paint David as a different man. Sarah said it was of sexual nature or something and that traumatized her. Also not being interviewed by a female officer was traumatizing for her as well.

I finished watching the interview with David's wife and it's pretty much everything we already know. I'm guessing he did not get fuel at the mile marker 126 truck stop because she says in the interview that Dave is on his phone and also looking around his truck on the outside of it in the video.

Something I found interesting was towards the end of the interview, Sarah said how she was traumatized by the interview she had with LE. She said it seemed like LE were trying to paint David as a different man. Sarah said it was of sexual nature or something and that traumatized her. Also not being interviewed by a female officer was traumatizing for her as well.
I just finished listening to it too. I thought those comments were interesting. I thought maybe they were leaning towards another women and asking those kind of questions at first. And she said she was uncomfortable being asked by a male, but why not tell them that and request a female officer be in the room? Just my opinion.

Also, they were talking about the other gentleman that was missing and found deceased, when asked about DS's mental health she replied that he had high pressure and was high strung. Not quite the same there. I dunno....kind of a strange interview in my opinion.

I find it very odd that the DCI has not been in contact with her at all. If they think this could be foul play, wouldn’t the family be the first ones to be interviewed. I know the sheriff talked/interviewed her, but seems odd DCI hasn’t. Just weird to me.

I just finished listening to it too. I thought those comments were interesting. I thought maybe they were leaning towards another women and asking those kind of questions at first. And she said she was uncomfortable being asked by a male, but why not tell them that and request a female officer be in the room? Just my opinion.

Also, they were talking about the other gentleman that was missing and found deceased, when asked about DS's mental health she replied that he had high pressure and was high strung. Not quite the same there. I dunno....kind of a strange interview in my opinion.
BBM above. Yes, but then she mentioned a bit more that goes along with the emotional state question. I took some notes yesterday as follows:

"He has high blood pressure, a real high strung guy, but excited about the new yellow Peterbilt. Excited about spending time w/my family, had plans to shoot clay pigeons, not depressed. Dave’s too conceited to kill himself. I know it wasn’t suicide, it’s a sin."

I've yet to come across anything definite about whether he had one and/or if it was found.

I think the G-F-M was opened by a relative, but Sarah had a Venmo in existence that she posted herself.

I also think her posting her grandson's sizes were because he needed a coat for his extended unexpected stay and she was asking if anyone local had something he could borrow. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

There is alot of information provided directly by her in that 52-min interview linked above.
What intersection do they have a photo of him. I got the feeling she was told not to talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member