IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 52 min interview linked here the other day, she said the jacket was an old orange one that should have been tossed. I’m curious to read it may have been newer.
I'm taking it as, the Orange coat that Sarah said should be tossed, is David's loading coat. The plaid jacket that Sarah said she gave him last Christmas is David's clean coat he would wear when "not loading"

Now the question I have is, which coat was found in the ditch and which coat, if any, was David wearing when seen on video at Marker 126?

Sarah said David was a man of the 80's and didn't even know how to use Email. I doubt he had a Fitbit or an Apple watch. Sarah said David was "scrolling" his phone at Marker 126 when seen on video, so I'm at least assuming his phone is a smart phone, but maybe not.

JMO
If they saw David was scrolling on his phone, was he out of his truck? What was he doing there? It doesn’t say he was fueling? Why stop there?

I've watched the Youtube interview and Sarah did definitely say David was wearing (and that LE found) a straggly old orange jacket that needed to be thrown out. That is different to what the Sioux City Journal article seems to say. I'm guessing the journalist did word it poorly.

What the journalist wrote:

Sarah said sobbing, as she clutched a plaid flannel shirt jacket that belongs to her husband. A similar jacket was found in a ditch on the side of the road opposite David's truck. She gave him that jacket last Christmas.

And what the journalist perhaps should have written:

Sarah said sobbing, as she clutched a plaid flannel shirt jacket that belongs to her husband. She gave him that jacket last Christmas. A similar jacket was found in a ditch on the side of the road opposite David's truck.

I've only seen two different jackets mentioned and both appear to be accounted for.

sheriffs mention of a K-9, which tracked David's scent to a "field drive", the SCJ photo (titled "North of the intersection of County Road N-14 and D-15") of the possible field drive is approx. 400 ish feet farther north of where the truck was found. If the Sioux City Journal's photo locations are to be believed as accurate, I find it interesting that David's scent had him traveling even farther north after the truck was parked to the field drive depicted. Could lead one to suspect an awaiting vehicle was parked at the field drive and the truck stopped when nearing the vehicle.
If a prearranged ride for a disappearance was waiting, I would think they would minimize any chance of being seen by leaving as quickly as possible, which isn't done with him walking at least 400 ft north on the road to a waiting car. One article noted that there were high winds in that area, but even without high winds, that many hours of delay in tracking, with other cars known to have been driven on the road that morning, it shouldn't be assumed that a track should continue for any distance or that the victim left in a car. Moo, but I have been at the scene of K9 trackings.

If a prearranged ride for a disappearance was waiting, I would think they would minimize any chance of being seen by leaving as quickly as possible, which isn't done with him walking at least 400 ft north on the road to a waiting car. One article noted that there were high winds in that area, but even without high winds, that many hours of delay in tracking, with other cars known to have been driven on the road that morning, it shouldn't be assumed that a track should continue for any distance or that the victim left in a car. Moo, but I have been at the scene of K9 trackings.
I also can’t picture a prearranged ride within eyesight of a house/farm. As we’ve all seen in Google Street View, the farms are spaced far apart on that stretch of N14 between 20 and 190th St, and there are other more remote spots on that route, with greater distances between buildings and with gravel side streets one could pull over onto.

I don't know.

This happened when Sarah had family visiting. David knew she wasn't going to be alone?

David had taken his twins with him for the first time over the summer. Giving them final good memories?

He ran out of the door without giving his son a hug or kiss. Couldn't bear to say goodbye?

Sarah says David grew up in Sac City and knows the area really well. Also knew how to disappear?

I try to fit the pieces together and keep coming back to this being his choice.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if DS might’ve suffered a PE from a DVT. The occupation fits. The age fits. And at least one symptom he described to his wife seems to fit.

It might also fit a scenario where a truck driver felt they needed to somehow immediately stop their truck to get out, possibly even ripping off their jacket to try to either relieve the discomfort or walk it off or call somebody or do something, anything, to get relief. Would likely be panicked and confused. The truck could’ve been left in the road and the phone left in the truck in a frantic rush to get out of the truck. Again, all speculation.

And none of that explains why he has not yet been found. I wonder though how far someone could walk while disoriented and experiencing acute PE symptoms such as shortness of breath and chest pain which perhaps didn’t immediately cause collapse.

Did his wife report that DS had mentioned any other physical problems / symptoms besides the severe (sounded like really severe) fatigue - such as lower (often left) leg swelling, lower leg warmth, lower leg pain, or discomfort in legs or chest after recent trips?

Just one possibility. Very sad. I hope they find DS soon.

All jmo

And none of that explains why he has not yet been found. I wonder how far someone could walk though, while disoriented, experiencing acHute PE symptoms such as shortness of breath and chest pain which didn’t immediate result in death.
Apparently, he wasn't even wearing a jacket, it would not take long for hypothermia to incapacitate him either way. He could go quite a way if he stayed dry and moving. But how long could he do that?
Some of those photos of the tall thick grass/hay in the fields say he could be anywhere. They didn't walk those fields shoulder to shoulder and he could be concealed from a drone's view too.

Temperatures for Nov 21, 2023 Sac County Iowa
High 42
Average 36
Low 24

Pure speculation, but I wonder if DS might’ve suffered a PE from a DVT. The occupation fits. The age fits. And at least one symptom he described to his wife seems to fit.

It might also fit a scenario where a truck driver felt they needed to somehow immediately stop their truck to get out, possibly even ripping off their jacket to try to either relieve the discomfort or walk it off or call somebody or do something, anything, to get relief. Would likely be panicked and confused. The truck could’ve been left in the road and the phone left in the truck in a frantic rush to get out of the truck. Again, all speculation.

And none of that explains why he has not yet been found. I wonder though how far someone could walk while disoriented and experiencing acute PE symptoms such as shortness of breath and chest pain which perhaps didn’t immediately cause collapse.

Did his wife report that DS had mentioned any other physical problems / symptoms besides the severe (sounded like really severe) fatigue - such as lower (often left) leg swelling, lower leg warmth, lower leg pain, or discomfort in legs or chest after recent trips?

Just one possibility. Very sad. I hope they find DS soon.

All jmo
I suffered a PE after a surgery in 2000. I was so short of breath I couldn’t really stand or walk, but I had zero chest pain through the entire thing. I’d called my surgeon’s office and the nurse told me it wasn’t a PE, but a panic attack and to call my psychiatrist. I called my psychiatrist (even though I’d had a million panic attacks over the past three decades and this was nothing like one) - luckily my psychiatrist told me to get to the ER asap! Needless to say, my surgeon wasn’t too happy with his nurse after this. I was lucky to get the help I needed. I was told in another couple of hours, I’d have been dead.

I typed out this novel only because I first thought about David suffering a PE as well, due to his job, but from my own personal experience, I don’t see how he could’ve gotten very far from the truck without collapsing. I’m having a hard time envisioning him suffering a medical event and not being relatively close to the truck. Plus I cant tie in the fact the truck was parked in the opposite direction of where he should have been headed to offload the trailer. If I didn’t feel well, or worse, I’d try as hard as I could to get to where help might be.

This one is really puzzling me, because I have no idea what to think about what might have happened. To me, a serious medical event would find him close by, and for some reason, this doesn’t feel like foul play to me. But then again, I also don’t feel like he self-harmed.

Prayers for his loved ones for answers and comfort. MOO plus a lot of my own nonsense.

I suffered a PE after a surgery in 2000. I was so short of breath I couldn’t really stand or walk, but I had zero chest pain through the entire thing. I’d called my surgeon’s office and the nurse told me it wasn’t a PE, but a panic attack and to call my psychiatrist. I called my psychiatrist (even though I’d had a million panic attacks over the past three decades and this was nothing like one) - luckily my psychiatrist told me to get to the ER asap! Needless to say, my surgeon wasn’t too happy with his nurse after this. I was lucky to get the help I needed. I was told in another couple of hours, I’d have been dead.

I typed out this novel only because I first thought about David suffering a PE as well, due to his job, but from my own personal experience, I don’t see how he could’ve gotten very far from the truck without collapsing. I’m having a hard time envisioning him suffering a medical event and not being relatively close to the truck. Plus I cant tie in the fact the truck was parked in the opposite direction of where he should have been headed to offload the trailer. If I didn’t feel well, or worse, I’d try as hard as I could to get to where help might be.

This one is really puzzling me, because I have no idea what to think about what might have happened. To me, a serious medical event would find him close by, and for some reason, this doesn’t feel like foul play to me. But then again, I also don’t feel like he self-harmed.

Prayers for his loved ones for answers and comfort. MOO plus a lot of my own nonsense.
Thanks for sharing your story! And I’m so glad you got the right help despite the initial incorrect guidance… yikes. I also agree he should have been found. They did say somewhere recently the immediate area has been re-searched three times but I do hope it was a grid search at arm’s length and not people zooming around on ATVs like 20’ apart.

Some of the searching was going on with snow on the ground!

There have been so many cases where missing people weren't found until much later, and it turned out they had been right under the noses of the people searching for them the entire time.

David may not be anywhere near where the truck was found. But if he is, I won't be at all surprised.

There have been so many cases where missing people weren't found until much later, and it turned out they had been right under the noses of the people searching for them the entire time.

David may not be anywhere near where the truck was found. But if he is, I won't be at all surprised.
Agreed to all you said.

I followed the case of the escaped convict Danelo Cavalcante, who broke out of a Chester County, PA prison, several months ago. He had been hiding toward the end of his stint in a log pile, right behind an active tractor business. Someone could embed themselves into a pile of hay or climb into a gray silo or crawl under a junk pile on an old farm, or shimmy under some old shed. There’s no way all of those and more could have been searched without any immense effort.

Well, some clarification over the last several posts. The knife, phone charger, and "towel" are simple. 90% of the truckdrivers and hunters carry some sort of knife, it is as common as a belt buckle. His truck may not have had a
USB outlet as modern ones do, nor he may not have bothered to adapt one. Simplicity, just carry it and plug in shore power while you load/unload. "Towel" was probably a shop rag used by mechanics/drivers all over. And are usually known as "Shop towels".
The info on the tracking to 400 feet onward and at a side field position, certainly lends credence to a pickup vehicle waiting, whether his order or perps who took him.
I wonder if he used paper logs or had an ELD on his truck
to account for his hours of driving time. The ELD would have recorded starts, stops, how long and at what distances as he left home and traveled to the loading site. Could clarify the "late" to pickup point question.
I think medical is out by now. Should have surfaced in some treatment center, regardless of how reached there.
A few more days and more info from LE may offer more
facts to fit to this.
A very interesting, confusing, and perplexing situation...

I agree that he'd likely be found close by.
Also, he'd probably use his cell phone and call 911 or his wife or the dispatcher or his business partner. If he was having shortness of breath and feeling scary symptoms, I do understand his urge to stop the truck. But the very next step would be to use the cell or the CB radio and summon help. JMO

I agree that he'd likely be found close by.
Also, he'd probably use his cell phone and call 911 or his wife or the dispatcher or his business partner. If he was having shortness of breath and feeling scary symptoms, I do understand his urge to stop the truck. But the very next step would be to use the cell or the CB radio and summon help. JMO

I've pretty much discounted the idea of a medical emergency, simply because of where David's truck was found. Why drive so far along the road in the wrong direction? Loring Hospital in Sac City is *closer* to the Hwy 20/71 intersection than where the truck was found.

Unless David was suffering some kind of mental problem which caused him to completely lose his bearings and drive the wrong way, I just can't see a medical reason being the cause given the available evidence.

FYI: If Dave was having medical issues he would not have turned right at the stop sign. He would have gone to the hospital which is close to his drop off location, south of Hwy 20

Per the hospital website:
www.loringhospital.org/about-us

Loring Hospital, located at 211 Highland Avenue in Sac City, Iowa, has long had a reputation for providing quality care with caring staff. The hospital is located one block off old 2-lane U.S. Highway 20, or 2 miles off new 4-lane Highway 20. Easy access, convenient parking and an easy to find entrance make Loring Hospital accessible for patients and visitors.

Loring Hospital is a 25-bed, full-service primary care critical access hospital providing service to the communities in Sac County and beyond - Sac City, Lake View, Wall Lake, Odebolt, Lytton, Early, Schaller and Fonda. Loring is a non-profit company.

The hospital’s medical staff consists of a variety of physicians and allied health professionals, along with a staff of more than 100 caring and professional individuals. From 24/7 emergency services to physical therapy; an independent living facility to minor and major surgeries, Loring Hospital is dedicated to providing top-notch service and exceptional patient care. Please see a full list of services on our services page.

Patient care has and always will be our top priority.

It makes you wonder when Sarah expected David to be home? Surely he wouldn't keep working all the next day so why wasn't she already looking for him by that point?
My uncle was a short haul drive like DS. Only my uncle hauled construction materials. He made it a point to be in line early in the morning for the first load because without fail things got behind on the loading or receiving ends of the trip, the trucks stacked up, and he made no money sitting and waiting. He tried to make three trips per day as well, sometimes going home with a loaded truck at the day's end (not an option for DS and livestock).
My point is, I don't think there is much, if any, regularity in his schedule. She might assume he got another load assigned and worked through the night. Or spent considerable time at pickup or drop off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7