IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voluntarily disappearing would be hard. Maybe even harder than being a fugitive on the run. Always wondering if someone will recognize you. Not like you could just go get a job and start working somewhere, IRS records would expose you quickly. Would almost need to start an entire new identity. How would someone make money to live, rent an apartment, buy a house, bank accounts, credit cards, loans, buy and register a vehicle without a new identity?

How many missing persons cases have turned out to be someone who walked away from their life? See threads on WS all the time with the title "Found Safe" but they usually turn out to be ones that were people who were just lost or out of contact for a while. A lot of those threads of people that returned get deleted too. I to would want to come back and read about what was written about me, by all of you. Although it may be interesting to see just how many outlandish theories there were and how accurate everyone was as to what really happened.

If someone knows of threads here on WS of missing persons who it ended up being a case of someone leaving on their own and walking away for a better life, with only the cloths on their back, please post a link here. I would be interested in looking at it or them. TIA

JMO
The warden's wife who left the prison grounds with convicted murderer Dial was found years later living on a chicken farm with Dial.

I had no idea he was 70+. Some senior citizens do commit crime but now I have an idea of why he wouldn't call or investigate further (old school, minding his business, I am guessing). Thanks for the info
I have never read about him being 70 either, I thought Les Brown was up in that range, but there is so much, I could've missed it. In fact, I didn't know her friend was a "he" until her youtube interview. Prior to that she just referred to him as "My friend". I assumed it was female.. My fault for assuming I guess.. :)

SFSBM

Lets say this goes on for a few years. Sarah is eventually going to either need to divorce David if she plans on marrying someone else. Or wait until David is legally declared dead. I think that takes seven years. Not sure how Social Security for the twins for David would work into this, but I would assume payments would start being made until they reach 18.

If divorced then David would be required to pay child support. If David used his same identity, the courts could seize his assets to pay back support, should it become known he is living his "happy" life elsewhere. Social Security would likely want their money back as well if any payments were made.

LE might also get really up tight about spending huge amounts of resources on people who are not actually missing and just off hiding somewhere because they choose to run away without telling anyone. For this LE may be wanting reimbursement for that as well.

It might not be in David's best interest to be discovered if he is living a secret life under the same identity without telling someone like LE if you know what I mean.

JMO
I'm not inclined to think he's going to be disappeared for long. Not sure that a good plan to do that is even possible.

Here is my only problem with that theory... It's really hard to drive an 18-wheeler, it's even harder to drive an 18 wheeler that was made in the 90's. I can drive manual pretty well, I don't know that I could start an 18 wheeler let alone drive one, the person would have to have a lot of experience, I believe David's was a clutch and probably a 10 speed. Does anyone have more info on the truck because I left this theory go based on the fact no one but a truck driver could drive his truck successfully. But I have a limited knowledge on trucks and if you tell me it was an automatic I'm 100% giving that theory more thought.
Idk. I'm a 46 year old woman who learned to drive a 10 speed manual truck at 17. I grew up on a farm. This is farmland.

@Seattle1 I don't think the supposed midnight appointment at Wiechman's linked in the Freightwaves article is correct.

There has been no other mention of an appointment time anywhere else and Freightwaves only lists this as what authorities have said, but does not include which authority or a quote from anyone. Most likely just poor reporting.

The manger of Wiechman's said this particular station is not used much and truckers will unload and place their paperwork in a box. Meaning there is no one there after hours, it's a self unload process and for this there would be no appointment times. Get there when you get there sort of thing. If there was someone there at midnight and David had an appointment, then someone would have noticed David did not arrive at his appointment time and notified the search for the missing baby pork chops to begin then, instead of the next morning when a worker noticed there were not as many piggy's in the pens as there should have been.

JMO

Even if there was nobody at Wiechman's to help unload the pigs (a scenario I find mind-boggling) I feel it would still make sense to have appointments.

Better to say, "Driver A arrives at 10:00pm, Driver B arrives at 11:00pm, etc." than to have drivers piling in at any time they feel like. I'd think it would also be better for the drivers to have a known schedule for ease of keeping track of deliveries.

But was he running late when he stopped at the at the Marker 126 Travel Center east of Fort Dodge, Iowa, on U.S. Highway 20 around 11:15 pm? His appointment at Wiechman's buying station was at midnight, and I think he was probably on target to arrive timely when he stopped at the Travel Center.
No, you're absolutely correct. Had he not stopped at Marker 126 he would have arrived at Wiechman's at approximately 11:55. If he had something on the truck he needed to check, he had time to check that and get right back on the road. That's what seems weird to me, he's not in any rush to get back on the road. He's not making any attempt to be on time.

Even if there was nobody at Wiechman's to help unload the pigs (a scenario I find mind-boggling) I feel it would still make sense to have appointments.

Better to say, "Driver A arrives at 10:00pm, Driver B arrives at 11:00pm, etc." than to have drivers piling in at any time they feel like. I'd think it would also be better for the drivers to have a known schedule for ease of keeping track of deliveries.
BBM… I’ll bet if you open the trailer door they can’t wait to run out. Loading, on the other hand, probably takes some talent to get them on board!!

Thank you, good to know I'm not the only one that finds it mind boggling.

BBM… I’ll bet if you open the trailer door they can’t wait to run out. Loading, on the other hand, probably takes some talent to get them on board!!
I respectfully disagree. As somebody who has actually loaded and unloaded pigs, you wouldn't believe how uncooperative those little buggers are!

while i can definitely appreciate ur theory -i feel like if this was the case dave would've just had them meet up with him at the truck stop. not on some desolate random road.
I think the very well lit area and the seemingly very clear camera would be discouraging.
Edit add:
From news accounts and LE investigation reports, drug deals; like rape and murder, are seldom committed in "public spots and/or in view of possible witnesses"

Last edited:
@Seattle1 I don't think the supposed midnight appointment at Wiechman's linked in the Freightwaves article is correct.

There has been no other mention of an appointment time anywhere else and Freightwaves only lists this as what authorities have said, but does not include which authority or a quote from anyone. Most likely just poor reporting.

The manger of Wiechman's said this particular station is not used much and truckers will unload and place their paperwork in a box. Meaning there is no one there after hours, it's a self unload process and for this there would be no appointment times. Get there when you get there sort of thing. If there was someone there at midnight and David had an appointment, then someone would have noticed David did not arrive at his appointment time and notified the search for the missing baby pork chops to begin then, instead of the next morning when a worker noticed there were not as many piggy's in the pens as there should have been.

JMO

I dunno, seeing the information from the linked source being attributed to both LB (Dave's broker) and Kevin Sievers (KS), Wiechman's assistant manager, I think it unlikely the author pulled 'midnight appointment' out of thin air. I also have more confidence in these two men providing information than I do the County Sheriff.

Since this is a smaller facility that received a couple of semi-deliveries earlier in the night, it may have been staffed with laborers during Monday evening. Nonetheless, we already know from KS that there's a provision for truckers to unload and leave the paperwork.

I also think management alerting LB first thing Tuesday morning was a reasonable amount of time given Sievers was clear that DS load was expected to be the last delivery on Monday night, 11/20, and we know that LB acted on the news DS did not show to unload without delay. IME, contact with the broker is not usually delegated to laborers.

This was hardly Dave's first rodeo. JMO

[..]

Sievers said the site where Dave was to unload the pigs is a smaller facility and had a couple of semi-loads arrive earlier that night.

“We don’t buy a lot of hogs there,” Sievers said. “ It doesn’t have hogs in it all the time — we just use it as necessary. A lot of drivers will drop off their pigs and they’ll drop off their load paperwork in a box and put them in the pens and leave.”

Sievers said Dave was supposed to be the last truck to unload that night.

[..]

Sievers said he has had little contact with law enforcement since Dave went missing 30 days ago.

“They [the Sac County Sheriff’s Office] called one of our facilities close by and talked to the guy there and asked if we had cameras at the Sac City facilities, and I told him we did not,” Sievers said.

He said the company is considering installing cameras at the facility that it has been overseeing for the past 10-15 years.

Sievers’ and Dave’s paths crossed over the years at the pig-buying facilities.

“He’s a good trucker,” Sievers said. “I never had any problems with Dave.”

Dave was expected to be the last truck to unload that night.

I’m curious if DS & Mark Reiger who is also missing, ever crossed paths . MR worked 2 jobs 1) at Bomgaars (like a Home Depot or Lowe’s) located directly across the street from Weichmans and 2) Essentia in Lytton a meat wholesaler (an 8 min drive down the same street). They are close in age 54 & 53, both 5’11”, both 180lbs . ..is it a coincidence they disappeared within a month of eachother?
This is just speculation. Apologies if it’s already been discussed.

I’m curious if DS & Mark Reiger who is also missing, ever crossed paths . MR worked 2 jobs 1) at Bomgaars (like a Home Depot or Lowe’s) located directly across the street from Weichmans and 2) Essentia in Lytton a meat wholesaler (an 8 min drive down the same street). They are close in age 54 & 53, both 5’11”, both 180lbs . ..is it a coincidence they disappeared within a month of eachother?

You’re right that it is very strange and that they may have had some contact given the location, but everything we’ve read so far has attributed Mark’s death to mental health issues and a suicide.

I respectfully disagree. As somebody who has actually loaded and unloaded pigs, you wouldn't believe how uncooperative those little buggers are!

My great-grandparents were farmers. My grandad grew up on the farm and my mum also lived on a farm before I was born. I have no personal experience but I've heard their stories.

If there's an opportunity for pigs (or sheep) to be contrary and make your life difficult, they'll take it. And it's only fair that they do, since we're planning to eat them.

We do cattle, not pigs, but we have had truckers deliver in the middle of the night and they handled unloading without an employee being there. We have only done that when the trucker said “no need to come in if you tell me which pen” but it doesn’t seem that crazy to me.

Mark Reiger was located deceased in his car Dec 1. Single gunshot wound to the head, foul play is not suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nycissa