Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If David was having a problem with his lighting at MM126, just wondering, would he have made contact with his mechanic???

ETA: Just recalling, Sarah mentioned somewhere David wouldn't drive his truck to the house, he would park at his mechanics garage/shop.

Sarah also mentioned somewhere there was a chance David may have stopped to talk to his mechanic after he left home with deeper pocketed wranglers, but before he headed out to his delivery.
Maybe but it would depend on two things. If the problem was just a light being out absolutely not. An owner operator is not going to pay a mechanic to change a light bulb. However if he has a short or a wiring problem he might. Contacting the mechanic would depend on what hours the mechanic kept. If they were normally up then yes maybe depending on problem.

Maybe but it would depend on two things. If the problem was just a light being out absolutely not. An owner operator is not going to pay a mechanic to change a light bulb. However if he has a short or a wiring problem he might. Contacting the mechanic would depend on what hours the mechanic kept. If they were normally up then yes maybe depending on problem.

He wasn't an owner operator - his rig was a rental wasn't it, he paid a weekly / monthly rental on it IIRC? (from the mechanic?)

The truck he owned is the (yellow?) one his mechanic was doing up for him so he could become an owner operator.

JMO MOO

He wasn't an owner operator - his rig was a rental wasn't it, he paid a weekly / monthly rental on it IIRC? (from the mechanic?)

The truck he owned is the (yellow?) one his mechanic was doing up for him so he could become an owner operator.

JMO MOO
You are getting caught up on terminology. It it my understanding that he worked for himself correct?

David owned both the red and the yellow trucks. From what Sarah said, David was having the yellow truck fixed up, which was just about done, and was planning on selling the red truck. David would have been responsible for any repairs to the trucks. Yes David is an owner operator. If you search his US DOT number (1167714) you will find the trucking company is registered to David. DOT numbers are required of every trucking company/owner operator/business that operates a commercial vehicle.

David rented the trailer he used from Les Brown. Les Brown I would presume would have been responsible for any repairs needed to be done to the trailer. Unless Les had a mechanic he preferred to work on his equipment I would think David would have had his mechanic do any repairs to the trailer with Les's approval and then been reimbursed by Les or David's mechanic directly bill Les.

Pictured below is David's blue truck, parked at his mechanics shop, after it was blown in the ditch from the tornado. You can clearly read the DOT number on the side storage compartment door.

You can search by US DOT number here:
Blue truck.jpg

David owned both the red and the yellow trucks. From what Sarah said, David was having the yellow truck fixed up, which was just about done, and was planning on selling the red truck. David would have been responsible for any repairs to the trucks. Yes David is an owner operator. If you search his US DOT number (1167714) you will find the trucking company is registered to David. DOT numbers are required of every trucking company/owner operator/business that operates a commercial vehicle.

David rented the trailer he used from Les Brown. Les Brown I would presume would have been responsible for any repairs needed to be done to the trailer. Unless Les had a mechanic he preferred to work on his equipment I would think David would have had his mechanic do any repairs to the trailer with Les's approval and then been reimbursed by Les or David's mechanic directly bill Les.

Pictured below is David's blue truck, parked at his mechanics shop, after it was blown in the ditch from the tornado. You can clearly read the DOT number on the side storage compartment door.

View attachment 477904
I am just making a guess here but insurance would have paid for repairs, and this blue one got parts replaced and then repainted how he wanted/custom paint job (red and white with design he chose) since it would need done anyway. Or is the yellow one the old blue one?

You are getting caught up on terminology. It it my understanding that he worked for himself cor

View attachment 477904
Exactly what I was getting at. Even IF the truck or trailer wasn't paid in full or was rented/leased does not impact if he is an owner op or not :)

I am just making a guess here but insurance would have paid for repairs, and this blue one got parts replaced and then repainted how he wanted/custom paint job (red and white with design he chose) since it would need done anyway. Or is the yellow one the old blue one?
I think is blue truck was wrecked by the tornado, he bought the Red and White as a replacement to keep operating, and bought the Yellow truck as the one to keep. Planning to sell the red one.
Had the present circumstances not occured; and the escalation in the used truck market held, he would have made out like gangbusters overall... Insurance paid off the blue and maybe some left, bought the Red one "right", and sell it for a profit. Between the insurance gain, and the profit on the Red sale, he would have been in clover as an OO.
The used heavy truck market took a climb a year or so ago and was astronomical. Has come down some, but used trucks are still way overpriced. and highly desired by operators. Just my logic on how his planning may have run.

The used heavy truck market took a climb a year or so ago and was astronomical. Has come down some, but used trucks are still way overpriced. and highly desired by operators. Just my logic on how his planning may have run.

RSBM

If David took out a loan for the yellow (or red) truck when prices were still astronomical, and prices for trucks have since come down somewhat, it may be that the price he would have gotten for selling the red truck wasn't as much as he expected/needed it to be.

I think is blue truck was wrecked by the tornado, he bought the Red and White as a replacement to keep operating, and bought the Yellow truck as the one to keep. Planning to sell the red one.
Had the present circumstances not occured; and the escalation in the used truck market held, he would have made out like gangbusters overall... Insurance paid off the blue and maybe some left, bought the Red one "right", and sell it for a profit. Between the insurance gain, and the profit on the Red sale, he would have been in clover as an OO.
Sarah mentioned that David flew to California to pick up the red truck. She also said he flew out of Iowa on the day of the Derecho. That storm hit Iowa on August 10, 2020. She has also said the red Peterbilt is a 1999 model.

Effective January 2023, all diesel-fueled vehicles model years 2010 and older, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,000-pounds or greater, were banned from California. Truck owners in California were selling their older trucks very cheap back then. David needed a truck in a hurry to stay in business after the tornado incident and a California Peterbilt would have fit the bill and the budget very nicely.

The used truck market skyrocketed due to Covid and the lack of new trucks being built. Same as the used car market did. At the time when David bought the red truck the used truck market was just starting to increase and he likely bought the red truck for considerably less than he could have sold it for at current market conditions.

JMO

Sarah mentioned that David flew to California to pick up the red truck. She also said he flew out of Iowa on the day of the Derecho. That storm hit Iowa on August 10, 2020. She has also said the red Peterbilt is a 1999 model.

Effective January 2023, all diesel-fueled vehicles model years 2010 and older, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,000-pounds or greater, were banned from California. Truck owners in California were selling their older trucks very cheap back then. David needed a truck in a hurry to stay in business after the tornado incident and a California Peterbilt would have fit the bill and the budget very nicely.

The used truck market skyrocketed due to Covid and the lack of new trucks being built. Same as the used car market did. At the time when David bought the red truck the used truck market was just starting to increase and he likely bought the red truck for considerably less than he could have sold it for at current market conditions.

JMO
Aww, now I see where I was off on this. I kept reading about "custom" paint job for the red truck. Just had in my mind he himself had a custom paint job done. Makes sense he bought the red one with a "custom" paint job all ready done.

It definitely wasn't paid for (the red one) by his insurance because Sarah was very nervous about how she was going to make the $2,000 payment on it. So he must have bought the yellow one for a song and fixed it up and was going to get out from under that hefty payment with a sale. So sad that he was so close to that milestone moment - I'm sure that would have been a great quality of life improvement for them.

No, we had a crew at the home shop/terminal to put in the decks or wash and remove then service the trailers, re bed with fresh shavings. In all my years, I never hooked to a trailer loaded with livestock. Only once went out about 80 miles and hooked a load of cottonseed going on to Arizona. Driver that loaded it had broke down in Greenwood, MS.
You took out an empty, hauled the load and any back haul. I would on occasion have a trailer scooped out and washed out in Florida to bring back into Mississippi crated fruit.
These were the lanes I run from Waukesha, WI, to Miami. FL . I would load in WI, run to Huntsville, AL, unload in an auction barn, Let them rest and water. I would sleep, then load them back up and on to Miami. These were the big Holstein dairy cows for McArthur Dairies in Miami. Actually, that pic was taken on my way back from FL to Waukesha.
Over the years, there would occasionally be an outbreak of some disease and we would have to get a vet to disinfect
the trailer and provide a certificate of his treating it. Back then most cattle were healthy and facilities were roomy and clean. The hog producers are a completely different operation as so many confined and shuttled from barn to barn.
Any disease can run rampant thru the facility before it is fully realized.
Hogs picked up in E. St Louis were delivered to a meat packer in West Point, MS. Normal clean/wash out.

There is a big difference between the livestock handling back then and today. Mass breeding, feeding, packing,
delivery is an assembly line. Similar in poultry and catfish. The food supply chain is very important to each of us.
Thank you! Sounds exhausting and a little stressful.

You are getting caught up on terminology. It it my understanding that he worked for himself correct?

Well... using terminology correctly or as defined helps people communicate when all we have is the written word here on this forum so... dunno what to say to this.

However, no, I'm not sure he worked for himself at all, that was my point. We would need clarification / verification. It is my understanding (that could be completely mistaken) he was renting a rig on a weekly / monthly basis from someone (his mechanic?) and this costs thousands of dollars. So he had purchased his own truck which SS said is technically owned by the bank as he was making repayments and it was being refurbished by the mechanic. With the end goal being that DS would not need to rent a truck.

Secondly, who was booking his jobs in? SS said that she was notified of DS being missing when his 'boss' came calling because DS had failed to unload at Weichman's. So it seems that he had some form of boss? Was this person booking in DS's work - loads and unload slots - and also receiving payment and then passing it on to DS - in the form of wages? Or was DS strictly self employed and billing for his work and paying a percentage to the booker and also renting a truck?

It definitely wasn't paid for (the red one) by his insurance because Sarah was very nervous about how she was going to make the $2,000 payment on it. So he must have bought the yellow one for a song and fixed it up and was going to get out from under that hefty payment with a sale. So sad that he was so close to that milestone moment - I'm sure that would have been a great quality of life improvement for them.

Yes, the red truck he was driving, was costing $2,000 per <insert time period> this is what SS said, it was a rental. Now I know nothing about trucks whether that is $2,000 a day, week, or month.

He had purchased his own truck (yellow) that she described as 'technically owned by the bank' as he was making the repayments, on a loan, I assume. Being made good by his mechanic.

That is how I understood it.

The point of all that being that he could then be an owner-driver no longer having to rent his rig.

This is why when it was stated $2,000 was left in his wallet on the dash, I assumed he may have 'disappeared himself' whilst also leaving the payment due so as not to leave his wife in debt for the truck rental. I no longer believe that theory.

JMO MOO

I am watching a true crime series tonight where a Willard, Missouri couple “disappeared” from their home, no trace, gal’s keys left in her car, nothing stolen, nothing out of place, etc.
Locals were speculating whether it was (sound familiar?) a drug deal gone bad, drug dealer exacting revenge, the Mexican cartel, human trafficking, or this couple just walking away from their lives. Every outlandish idea that has been floated here, while we all grasp at straws.
What happened to them? Their bodies were found 3 months later, 80 miles away from their home, both shot and killed. By who? Family members over a land/money dispute.
Are we trying too hard with this? Homicide detectives say murders happen for love, money or revenge, that it’s always one of those three.
This, of course, assumes DS has been murdered.
*edited to add a detail.

Last edited:
Well... using terminology correctly or as defined helps people communicate when all we have is the written word here on this forum so... dunno what to say to this.

However, no, I'm not sure he worked for himself at all, that was my point. We would need clarification / verification. It is my understanding (that could be completely mistaken) he was renting a rig on a weekly / monthly basis from someone (his mechanic?) and this costs thousands of dollars. So he had purchased his own truck which SS said is technically owned by the bank as he was making repayments and it was being refurbished by the mechanic. With the end goal being that DS would not need to rent a truck.

Secondly, who was booking his jobs in? SS said that she was notified of DS being missing when his 'boss' came calling because DS had failed to unload at Weichman's. So it seems that he had some form of boss? Was this person booking in DS's work - loads and unload slots - and also receiving payment and then passing it on to DS - in the form of wages? Or was DS strictly self employed and billing for his work and paying a percentage to the booker and also renting a truck?
He rented the livestock trailers from his boss, Les Brown, who deducted that fee from his paychecks, as per Sarah in one of her many interviews.

And it’s my understanding that Les obtained the jobs for him… David didn’t do his own bidding.

I don’t know if we’ve heard whether the $2000/month payment was on the new yellow truck or the red one. Maybe the yellow one or else she would have mentioned two payments.

RSBM

If David took out a loan for the yellow (or red) truck when prices were still astronomical, and prices for trucks have since come down somewhat, it may be that the price he would have gotten for selling the red truck wasn't as much as he expected/needed it to be.
True. Depends on how far back he bought, what he paid, and market is still very good.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SPACECAT89
Back