IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was some kind of trap going on, or road rage, I could see a person parking a vehicle on the bridge so the truck would have to stop. The problem is, that still doesn't explain why DS went north on that road to begin with. I can try to find logical reasons for the truck going north, like maybe he had accidentally made a wrong turn/exit and was driving that direction until he could find a place to turn his rig around. Or possibly there was a detour, or he was trying to avoid a cop, or whatever. Otherwise, I think the truck was on that road for another reason, which we just don't know yet, but likely holds a lot of answers. JMO.
It has never been reported that I have read, exactly where David was to deliver. Just Sac City. I believe this came from David's wife.

David's wife also said the truck was found parked, in the middle of the road on Hwy 71 five miles north of Old Hwy20.

As we are learning now, the truck was not actually parked on Hwy 71, but on a back county road. Perhaps who ever told David's wife where the truck was parked just assumes Hwy 71 continues north at the Hwy 20 four lane interchange or they were using Hwy 71 as a reference saying something like "if you followed Hwy 71 north from Old Hwy 20 road and kept going five miles that is where the truck was parked", and that is why we she is saying it was parked on Hwy 71. The media gets a lot messed up also when they write the story, so maybe that is to blame.

Knowing now where the truck was found, I can understand why no one thought it suspicious that the truck was parked in the middle of the road all day. They likely thought it just parked waiting to load at a nearby farm and drove around it giving it little thought.

JMO

What are the odds that 2 males, in the same age group and same area go missing within a few weeks of each other? This is rural Iowa. I hope LE is seriously looking into a possible connection.

This one sounds like self harm.

Normally the job of the truck driver during the loading of the animals, cows, pigs, ect, is to be in the trailer and keep the animals moving. There are gates inside the trailers that need to opened and closed that make pens for the animals and also ramps the animals walk up or down to get to different levels of the trailer depending on how the trailer is configured. Trailers hauling pigs are set up with multiple levels to maximize the space of the trailer.

The trailers as you can imagine collect their fare share of nasty stuff you wouldn't want to walk through with your dress shoes. A trucker who care about their trucks (owner operators), will change boots or wear rubber boots over their regular footwear and also wear coveralls or change pants to keep the "nasty" off their cloths and out of their truck. These boots and cloths would normally be stored in a side compartment accessible from outside of the truck.

Big question for me is, was David's loading boots and clothing he would have been wearing while loading found in the truck? That would tell us if he was the one that drove the truck away from where he loaded.

If something happened to him at the farm where he was loading, I doubt his nasty clothing would have been put back in the truck.

JMO
Thank you for taking the time to explain that. Makes perfect sense. Lots of navigation to do inside the trailer.

The warning sign is because of a weight limit on the bridge ahead. The weight limit of the bridge for a tractor trailer truck such as David's is 38 tons. The maximum legal weight of a tractor trailer like David's is normally 40 tons. Two trucks crossing the bridge at the same time would overload the bridge. The road does not narrow at the bridge. A car and truck would have no problem passing each other while crossing the bridge if they were going in the opposite directions. I doubt road rage played into this at that time in the morning.

View attachment 464573
Given that the pigs were young, do you think his truck would have been well under the weight limit?

There's even another weight limit warning sign a bit further south where that gravel road (200th St) intersects.

The Google Street view image was taken November 2021, so I imagine it's similar today with the fields plowed down, although if someone were lying flat, some of that scrubby brush could hide a person. Just wonder if they've rechecked that immediate area carefully. And, of course this is obvious - I hope they've checked under those small bridges.

Last edited:
It has never been reported that I have read, exactly where David was to deliver. Just Sac City. I believe this came from David's wife.

David's wife also said the truck was found parked, in the middle of the road on Hwy 71 five miles north of Old Hwy20.

As we are learning now, the truck was not actually parked on Hwy 71, but on a back county road. Perhaps who ever told David's wife where the truck was parked just assumes Hwy 71 continues north at the Hwy 20 four lane interchange or they were using Hwy 71 as a reference saying something like "if you followed Hwy 71 north from Old Hwy 20 road and kept going five miles that is where the truck was parked", and that is why we she is saying it was parked on Hwy 71. The media gets a lot messed up also when they write the story, so maybe that is to blame.

Knowing now where the truck was found, I can understand why no one thought it suspicious that the truck was parked in the middle of the road all day. They likely thought it just parked waiting to load at a nearby farm and drove around it giving it little thought.

JMO
That's one of my questions...are we sure which farm he was supposed to deliver at, and was his truck truly even heading the wrong way as the wife says? I'm not doubting her, I'm just double checking that she was correct in his destination.

Now they are searching near hwy 4. So was his truck on 4 or 71? I'm so confused.
Let’s try one more time. :)
The search seems to be centered on an area bordered by Hwy 4 on the east, Hwy 20 on the south, D15/190th St on the north, and Union Ave/N14 on the west, ( where his truck was found). Map below may help visualize this.
Also, remember, from what we know, David’s truck was actually found on Union Ave/N14, not on 71 which added to our confusion.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 37
We have heard that David's boss came to the house looking for him when he didn't make the delivery.
I would like to hear from anyone else he worked with, especially anyone that helped load the piggies with him.
Also, could there have been someone else with David in the truck at the loading point?

Let’s try one more time. :)
The search seems to be centered on an area bordered by Hwy 4 on the east, Hwy 20 on the south, D15/190th St on the north, and Union Ave/N14 on the west, ( where his truck was found). Map below may help visualize this.
Also, remember, from what we know, David’s truck was actually found on Union Ave/N14, not on 71 which added to our confusion.
Thank you! I do have it right then, I'm just letting the confusion go to my head. :)

Haven't reports said the truck was pointing north? 190th Street heads east-west so the truck couldn't be heading north on that road.
That what the wife said, but as we know now the truck wasn't even found on the same exact road (Hwy 71) as what she said.

In the news article linked below there is a video. Please watch it. The reporter actually went to the scene where LE was staging at a property on 190th St just east of Union Ave. In the video the reporter says "David's semi was found in the roadway near the intersection of190th St and Union Ave north with hogs still...." He doesn't specify which road, but I think if the truck was actually parked on Union Ave/N14 it would have been obstructing a lot of traffic and someone would have called that in.

On the other hand if the truck was parked on 190th St the truck wouldn't be noticed by that many people, and those who did likely thought the truck was parked, and the driver was waiting to load or unload at a nearby farm.

It would be really nice if the Sheriff Department or DCI would release some "official" information, but whether the truck was facing north or south, east or west is not importance information to release to the public. Apperantly nothing else is important either, other than debunking the car chase inciedent that happened earleier to someone else which they say has nothing to do with David, since LE has said diddly about anything else related to this case.

Last edited:
That what the wife said, but as we know now the truck wasn't even found on the same exact road (Hwy 71) as what she said.

In the news article linked below there is a video. Please watch it. The reporter actually went to the scene where LE was staging at a property on 190th St just east of Union Ave. In the video the reporter says "David's semi was found in the roadway near the intersection of190th St and Union Ave north with hogs still...." He doesn't specify which road, but I think if the truck was actually parked on Union Ave/N14 it would have been obstructing a lot of traffic and someone would have called that in.

On the other hand if the truck was parked on 190th St the truck wouldn't be noticed by that many people, and those who did likely thought the truck was parked, and the driver was waiting to load or unload at a nearby farm.

It would be really nice if the Sheriff Department or DCI would release some "official" information, but whether the truck was facing north or south, east or west is not importance information to release to the public. Apperantly nothing else is important either, other than debunking the car chase inciedent that happened earleier to someone else which they say has nothing to do with David, since LE has said diddly about anything else related to this case.

One thing I noted from this article is that a search dog was used, which led to the coat in the ditch, but the dog couldn't go any farther due to the wind. It's possible the dog simply smelled the coat from the truck, but it's also possible that the dog trailed his scent from the truck to the coat, and this is an indication that DS was the driver and was the one who got out, maybe as far as the ditch. Did the dog lose his scent then because of the wind, or could it be because DS was in another vehicle after that point? Just random speculating...

I didn't think I was confused, but it turns out I am! Is there one map that shows only the loading site and the truck location, with no other info? Please. I'm lost.
The whole thing is confusing. There's a time gap that's unaccounted for (it doesn't appear to take 8 hours to drive to Eagle Grove, load pigs, and get back to the Sac City area), the truck was apparently heading the wrong direction from the delivery location, DS was a last heard from in the early morning hours, and somehow they know the truck was there at 3:30am.

The video appears to be very similar to one that was posted previously. I, along with @Knox, first identified the location of the LE staging area on 190th St using that video:

I guess the truck could have been on 190th St, but the fact that it was incorrectly described as being on Hwy 71 makes me think it was more likely to have been driving north on the continuation of 71. Some muddling of road names is understandable, but it would be a pretty big muddle if the truck was on a totally different road.

One thing I noted from this article is that a search dog was used, which led to the coat in the ditch, but the dog couldn't go any farther due to the wind. It's possible the dog simply smelled the coat from the truck, but it's also possible that the dog trailed his scent from the truck to the coat, and this is an indication that DS was the driver and was the one who got out, maybe as far as the ditch. Did the dog lose his scent then because of the wind, or could it be because DS was in another vehicle after that point? Just random speculating...
I think the coat may have been thrown into the ditch from a vehicle that picked up who ever was driving the truck and that is why the scent ends there.

Whether that was David or someone else or someone else and David, that's the mystery.

The coat alone being in the ditch is suspicious of foul play. It's cold out and the wind blows across the open fields, no one would want to be without a coat in the middle of the night.

Still wondering why the DCI became involved. (Blood in or near truck, incriminating electronic info (David or his wife), inconsistencies with interviewees, lack of alibi, bank/credit card data, finger pointing)

JMO

The whole thing is confusing. There's a time gap that's unaccounted for (it doesn't appear to take 8 hours to drive to Eagle Grove, load pigs, and get back to the Sac City area), the truck was apparently heading the wrong direction from the delivery location, DS was a last heard from in the early morning hours, and somehow they know the truck was there at 3:30am.
BBM

David's cell phone data maybe be able to be used to know when and where the truck was at certain times.

BBM

David's cell phone data maybe be able to be used to know when and where the truck was at certain times.
Yes, I think LE probably knows the route the truck took, and when and where the phone was, at least up until it was last on. We don't know who or how he was "heard" from in the early morning hours, but LE probably does.

The coat in the ditch conjures an image of DS getting out of the truck with his coat in hand, planning to put it on. I'd like to know if the truck driver's door was open or shut...we only know it was unlocked. I could easily think he had gotten out to help someone, but again, it goes back to why he was going the wrong way to begin with. I'd like confirmation about the actual delivery destination.

Depending on where the cell tower closest to the location of where the truck is located. The data from that tower may be able to be used to determine who was in the area where the truck was located, at certain times.

I'm assuming the majority of cell towers in that area would be located along Hwy 20 and if the tower is located on the north side of the Hwy 20 the phones connecting to the tower that are traveling along Hwy 20 would show up in a different quadrant than the phones connecting on the north side of the tower.

Filtering just the phones which connected on the northern quadrant of the tower may lead to who was near the truck.

Yes, I think LE probably knows the route the truck took, and when and where the phone was, at least up until it was last on. We don't know who or how he was "heard" from in the early morning hours, but LE probably does.

The coat in the ditch conjures an image of DS getting out of the truck with his coat in hand, planning to put it on. I'd like to know if the truck driver's door was open or shut...we only know it was unlocked. I could easily think he had gotten out to help someone, but again, it goes back to why he was going the wrong way to begin with. I'd like confirmation about the actual delivery destination.
It was reported, that the truck (engine) was turned off. Truckers usually leave their trucks run if unattended for a short period of time, especially when it's colder. If David had gotten out to help someone I doubt he would have turned the engine off and it's unlikely he would have turned all the lights off as well being he would have stopped in the middle of the road to help someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley216