IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone other than David's wife, Sarah, said the truck was heading in the wrong direction?

She made that comment in one of the earliest articles, and I wonder if there's a possibility that at that point in time she didn't know exactly where David's drop-off point was. I believe she said she was often unaware of exactly where he was going and when.

The reason I say that is because there are businesses on N14/D15 where the truck was found, and they have Sac City addresses. So technically, David still could have been delivering to "Sac City" even though he appeared to be driving away from the city.
Yes, there’s even a company, Scharn Trucking, right up in that area that a poster mentioned earlier in the thread.
I took a google walk on N14\Union St to see the lay of the land and the camera had actually picked up some kind of animal hauler crossing around the intersection with 190th St.
The Google map was dated November, 2021, so not too old and the same time of year. One thing that was obvious was the deep gully that runs along each side of the road surrounded by heavy brush. This is what folks have been describing as to why the big rigs can’t pull off the road in that area. Beyond that there is a barb wire fence that also runs along both sides of the road. Further in, the fields have died off and some have been completely plowed down. While not impenetrable, it would be very cumbersome to clamber over the barb wire. I really hope the searchers in this area paid close attention to the gullies and brush. I think it would be easy to overlook something here. I believe this is where David’s jacket was found.
Finally, although the area is very rural, as you mentioned, @Interested_But_Confused , there are some farms and businesses where David could have sought refuge.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpeg
    IMG_0127.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 31

Jake Rowley

Hi guys Jake here with United Cajun Navy and I want to give the update for search times and search party information for November 29th.

We will resume volunteer operations tomorrow at 10:30 am but we will be moving our command Post slightly closer to our intended search area the new command post and meeting area will be at the sac city hotel located at 103 Ash avenue Sac City Iowa.

Tommrow we will be searching a lot of new ground outside of Sac City heading east back towards highway 4
we have received a ton of property permissions today thanks to some amazing local volunteers that have connected us with local landowners and we can't thank you enough for your efforts.

Please consider joining us tomorrow morning at the Sac City hotel at 10:30 a.m. to be dispatched to an area that needs to be searched we hope and pray everyday that it will be the last day we need to respond to the area but we are committed to bring answers to Sarah and her family.

Thank you and God Bless!
I wonder if David did stop at Sparky’s gas station at 4 and 20 or the cameras caught his truck going by. The fact that the searchers are concentrating on the area between Sac City and Hwy 4 seems to indicate they think something happened to David quite a ways from where his truck was found.

There have been other cases here with similar circumstances. Of course each case is different, so I am not sure this exercise is helpful. But does anyone know which other case I'm thinking of: a truck driver called his wife, I believe to say he was being followed, and he's been missing since?

I also found this other case. The truck driver was found, unfortunately deceased, in the woods:

To be clear, these cases have nothing to do with David's case but are examples of truckers going missing in the middle of a delivery.

Yes! The missing loading clothes are critical, I think. Kinda surprised that didn't lead authorities down a foul play path immediately unless they thought someone who may not be in their right state of mind wouldn't care enough to take them off first and leave them in the truck.
Normally the job of the truck driver during the loading of the animals, cows, pigs, ect, is to be in the trailer and keep the animals moving. There are gates inside the trailers that need to opened and closed that make pens for the animals and also ramps the animals walk up or down to get to different levels of the trailer depending on how the trailer is configured. Trailers hauling pigs are set up with multiple levels to maximize the space of the trailer.

The trailers as you can imagine collect their fare share of nasty stuff you wouldn't want to walk through with your dress shoes. A trucker who care about their trucks (owner operators), will change boots or wear rubber boots over their regular footwear and also wear coveralls or change pants to keep the "nasty" off their cloths and out of their truck. These boots and cloths would normally be stored in a side compartment accessible from outside of the truck.

Big question for me is, was David's loading boots and clothing he would have been wearing while loading found in the truck? That would tell us if he was the one that drove the truck away from where he loaded.

If something happened to him at the farm where he was loading, I doubt his nasty clothing would have been put back in the truck.

JMO

I saw the rumor that was going around, if anyone didn’t it was basically one of those scare tactic stories about a trucker being followed & a car trying to force him to stop. Of course, it’s possible, but the person posting this supposed story was also being weird about the race of the person who was maybe pulled over in the incident?? So I’m taking it all with a huge grain of salt. It reminded me of those “don’t touch the zip tie on your car door” human trafficking stories, if you know what I mean.

This is such a weird case! I hate to bring this up again, but I’m still confused as to where exactly David’s truck was found. Was it on the narrow country road without shoulders, or a more developed highway? If his truck was found on the country road, it makes absolute sense that he hadn’t pulled over, especially if he was planning on getting back in his truck. There are no shoulders on roads like that, he would’ve had to pull into the muddy/fieldy area on the side of the road, and I can’t imagine it’s easy to get a semi out of that. If it was a more developed highway, I can see how it’s weird that he didn’t pull over, because there are shoulders. This point is important to me because I don’t want to focus on that aspect of the case if it’s really not that weird at all.

I will also say I don’t feel that self harm is at play here IMO. A psychotic break usually happens between 18 & 25, and it’s rare for psychosis to show up after age 40. Psychosis is also not something you’d be able to hide well from people you’re around a lot.. it’s easy to act coherent in small doses (i.e, when picking up hogs from a farmer) but i would imagine his wife would’ve noticed something off. Even if he is working all the time, when you know someone, you know something is wrong with them when they’re psychotic. JMO & JME, of course. I’ve been the psychotic one and the one witnessing psychosis. It’s scary. I don’t think that’s what happened here… but i also don’t really know what I *do* think happened here.

Hoping for answers for David’s family soon, and if David is still out there somewhere due to whatever circumstances, I hope he’s found safely and able to recuperate from whatever has happened.
If he HAD to pull over, there’s 4 miles between highway 20 and D15. Which means there were 4 gravel roads he could’ve pulled onto. There’s also a power sub-station at the corner of N14 & D15 which has more than enough room for a truck to pull into.

Normally the job of the truck driver during the loading of the animals, cows, pigs, ect, is to be in the trailer and keep the animals moving. There are gates inside the trailers that need to opened and closed that make pens for the animals and also ramps the animals walk up or down to get to different levels of the trailer depending on how the trailer is configured. Trailers hauling pigs are set up with multiple levels to maximize the space of the trailer.

The trailers as you can imagine collect their fare share of nasty stuff you wouldn't want to walk through with your dress shoes. A trucker who care about their trucks (owner operators), will change boots or wear rubber boots over their regular footwear and also wear coveralls or change pants to keep the "nasty" off their cloths and out of their truck. These boots and cloths would normally be stored in a side compartment accessible from outside of the truck.

Big question for me is, was David's loading boots and clothing he would have been wearing while loading found in the truck? That would tell us if he was the one that drove the truck away from where he loaded.

If something happened to him at the farm where he was loading, I doubt his nasty clothing would have been put back in the truck.

JMO
For those with experience, is it possible the driver doesn't help with loading and doesn't need load-in clothes? Or would that be very unusual? jmo

Was the truck still functional and in working order? I can see someone taking over the truck with not a ton of experience, trying to turn around and ending up not being able to continue... Could explain the truck facing the wrong direction.

I don't know exactly where on N14/Union Avenue the truck was found, but between 200th and D15/190th there's a bridge over a drainage ditch. Road signs on the approach to the bridge indicate only one vehicle should drive over the bridge at a time. That could be a logical reason for stopping the truck, but still wouldn't explain what happened to David.

DS4.jpg

Adding to my previous post, the approach to the bridge on N14/Union Avenue between 200th and 190th also has a "No Passing Zone" on either side of the bridge. I hope there wasn't a Road Rage incident:

View attachment 464571
Let's say it was road rage (not that it was, but to discuss possibility) and the drivers got in a physical confrontation that went bad. Then what? It's dark out there in the middle of the night. You'd think the other driver would just drive away, not go to the trouble of removing a body.

Somehow David (and/or another person) left the truck....how? Walk along that narrow shoulder at night? Go into the fields? Get a lift?

jmo

I don't know exactly where on N14/Union Avenue the truck was found, but between 200th and D15/190th there's a bridge over a drainage ditch. Road signs on the approach to the bridge indicate only one vehicle should drive over the bridge at a time. That could be a logical reason for stopping the truck, but still wouldn't explain what happened to David.

View attachment 464569
If there was some kind of trap going on, or road rage, I could see a person parking a vehicle across both lanes on the bridge so the truck would have to stop. The problem is, that still doesn't explain why DS went north on that road to begin with. I can try to find logical reasons for the truck going north, like maybe he had accidentally made a wrong turn/exit and was driving that direction until he could find a place to turn his rig around. Or possibly there was a detour, or he was trying to avoid a cop, or whatever. Otherwise, I think the truck was on that road for another reason, which we just don't know yet, but likely holds a lot of answers. JMO.

Last edited:
Adding to my previous post, the approach to the bridge on N14/Union Avenue between 200th and 190th also has a "No Passing Zone" on either side of the bridge. I hope there wasn't a Road Rage incident:

View attachment 464571
The warning sign is because of a weight limit on the bridge ahead. The weight limit of the bridge for a tractor trailer truck such as David's is 38 tons. The maximum legal weight of a tractor trailer like David's is normally 40 tons. Two trucks crossing the bridge at the same time would overload the bridge. The road does not narrow at the bridge. A car and truck would have no problem passing each other while crossing the bridge if they were going in the opposite directions. I doubt road rage played into this at that time in the morning.

Bridge.jpg

View attachment 464569
The truck was found further north of this bridge apparently on 190th St east of County Rd N14/Union Ave

Location of Truck.jpg

What are the odds that 2 males, in the same age group and same area go missing within a few weeks of each other? This is rural Iowa. I hope LE is seriously looking into a possible connection.

If he had his coveralls and boots on something happened to him either at the loading site or the unloading site before he had a chance to unload. Someone moved the truck to a different location to make it look like nothing happened at the loading or unloading site.

WHO???? I would be drilling everyone who was at both sites...someone knows or saw something.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member