IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the map I don't think there are any towns in the direction David's truck was traveling that would have a hospital. Storm Lake has a hospital, but the route to get there would have been continue further west on Hwy 20 and then north on Hwy 71, not the road David's truck was found on.

If David was trying to get to a hospital, why stop in the middle of the road and go walking off so far no one can find him? Medical emergencies and long walks just don't go together in my mind. If David was unable to drive the most logical thing to do would have been staying close to the truck until a passing motorist could assist him.

Medical emergency also doesn't explain why David was traveling in the wrong direction from where he was heading according to what David's wife has said.
And that is what cell phones and CB radios are for----medical emergencies....I really think he'd have called 911 or his wife if he was suddenly feeling sick enough to stop in the road.

A close family member worked for, and retired from, a Rural Electric company. While it wasn’t in Nebraska, operations of rural electrics is fairly standard, and it is almost inconceivable that the electric substation did not have security cameras.
Using Google Street View there appears to be no cameras at the electrical substation site at the intersection of N14 and D15 that I can see.

Sub Station.jpgSub Station 2.jpg

From the recent article interviewing the Sheriff, there is a photo of David's truck parked on the road. this photo was likely taken by Sarah while at the location. You can see certain landmarks such as a telephone pole, a group of trees, a barn and the double yellow line on the roadway. Using Google Street View I believe I was able to find the same location where this picture was taken on N14. Using Beacon, I was able to measure the distance from D15 to the farm seen in the back ground of the truck photo and measure from D15 to where I believe the truck was parked. (see picture for measurements)

That should solve the mystery of the location of where the truck was when located.

Article with photo of truck location: Sheriff: No theories ruled out after Siouxland trucker vanished more than two weeks ago

Truck Pic 1.jpg
Truck Pic 2.jpg

Truck Pic 3.jpg

Last edited:
From the recent article interviewing the Sheriff, there is a photo of David's truck parked on the road. this photo was likely taken by Sarah while at the location. You can see certain landmarks such as a telephone pole, a group of trees, a barn and the double yellow line on the roadway. Using Google Street View I believe I was able to find the same location where this picture was taken on N14. Using Beacon, I was able to measure the distance from D15 to the farm seen in the back ground of the truck photo and measure from D15 to where I believe the truck was parked. (see picture for measurements)

That should solve the mystery of the location of where the truck was when located.

Article with photo of truck location: Sheriff: No theories ruled out after Siouxland trucker vanished more than two weeks ago

View attachment 466859
View attachment 466860

View attachment 466861
Has it been noted yet that there is no shoulder or place to pull off road? I have semis deliver horses to my farm periodically and the drivers have told me they're too heavy to turn around on grass. It is likely David could not have pulled off this road.

View attachment 466859
View attachment 466860

View attachment 466861
If this is accurate, he was even farther north than we thought, past the intersection where he would have turned to the nearby pig farm. Wonder where he was going?

Has it been noted yet that there is no shoulder or place to pull off road? I have semis deliver horses to my farm periodically and the drivers have told me they're too heavy to turn around on grass. It is likely David could not have pulled off this road.
There is not much of a shoulder along the road, but there is some. You can see some gravel in the picture courtesy of Sarah. Street View shows mostly grass. Occasionally the county maintenance crews will grade the shoulders which will turn up the gravel, this must have been done since the Street View images. I don't think the truck would have been all that heavy with a load of young pigs to be worried about pulling slightly off to the side of the road onto the shoulder and having a problem with getting stuck if David had experienced a mechanical issue or actually parked there.

I think it's more of a situation of a vehicle parked in the center of the road which David come upon, he then stopped behind that vehicle to see what was going on. Given the time of day there would be little traffic so stopping in the middle of the road wouldn't be that much of an issue. This is all of course figuring David was driving and that he had purposely taken this route. Both of which I have my reservations about.

JMO

There is not much of a shoulder along the road, but there is some. You can see some gravel in the picture courtesy of Sarah. Street View shows mostly grass. Occasionally the county maintenance crews will grade the shoulders which will turn up the gravel, this must have been done since the Street View images. I don't think the truck would have been all that heavy with a load of young pigs to be worried about pulling slightly off to the side of the road onto the shoulder and having a problem with getting stuck if David had experienced a mechanical issue or actually parked there.

I think it's more of a situation of a vehicle parked in the center of the road which David come upon, he then stopped behind that vehicle to see what was going on. Given the time of day there would be little traffic so stopping in the middle of the road wouldn't be that much of an issue. This is all of course figuring David was driving and that he had purposely taken this route. Both of which I have my reservations about.

JMO
Does anyone know or has it been discussed if DS had a CB radio in his truck? If he did, that could have been his way of communicating with another trucker or someone and that communication couldn’t be traced, correct? Maybe a way of getting him to turn off his route to help someone out? Set up? JMO, another theory.

View attachment 466859
View attachment 466860

View attachment 466861
Thanks so much for those images.

Again I wonder - how far north of the truck did they search?

While I agree with the shippers not turning around on the grass, no shipper would stop in the middle of the road

Does anyone know or has it been discussed if DS had a CB radio in his truck? If he did, that could have been his way of communicating with another trucker or someone and that communication couldn’t be traced, correct? Maybe a way of getting him to turn off his route to help someone out? Set up? JMO, another theory.
A photo of his truck from July 22 shows 2 CB antennas on his truck, so I assume, yes.

An earlier photo of the truck in January doesn't appear to show them, but I might be missing them due to the darkness and low photo quality. Another thing to note is the bars in front of the grill appear to have been added between Jan and July along with the antenna, so I don't think the antennas were left there from a previous owner, they were likely installed along with a radio.

Some truck drivers are also amateur radio operators, and they could be antennas for that, but I checked the FCC database and couldn't find a license for David in Iowa. I was hoping he had one and ran APRS (a position beaconing system) as that might have given a location but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I posted to a truck driver group and asked them what they thought happened. The general consensus was that someone had a car or were standing in the road staging an emergency. David got out of the truck to see and they tried to rob him at gunpoint. When they realized he did not have phone and wallet, they panicked that he could get back in the truck and report them. It's a pretty good theory

For those not familiar with county roads in Iowa or the midwest, I wanted to share some info in case it helps with the road naming/numbering and types of roads:

You've probably noticed county roads are laid out in a 1x1 mile grid. Most of these are gravel, and good enough condition for trucks or tractors year-round unless it's been really wet (which it wasn't). Every few miles there will usually be a paved road. I bring this up because of where he was stopped on paved roads - if the intention of stopping there was to go to a secluded area, there was a gravel option a mile in any direction that would have been far less traveled than the paved roads.

And just a note on naming conventions:
The names "D15" and "N14" are the old county road names that were around for as long as I can remember. Some time in the 90s, Iowa went to a "911" street numbering system for rural addresses, so every house could be easily found for emergencies. This meant new names for every rural road following a pattern. "Streets" were West-East running and were numbers starting at the north end of the county and increasing by 10 for every mile. "Avenues" are North-South running and at least in Sac County appear to be alphabetically named starting on the West side. So the intersection of N14 and D15 is more recently known as Union Ave and 190th St. There are exceptions, and it looks like some of the North-South Avenues also have numbers. I mostly wanted to point that out because it can get a little confusing when you go between counties - there could be a Union Ave and 190th intersection in many counties since the Ave names repeat.

View attachment 466859
View attachment 466860

View attachment 466861

Later in the video from the article the reporter is standing where the truck was reportedly found. He's pointing to where the jacket was found, so he's standing in the southbound lane looking south:

DS10.jpg

Even later in the video there's a closer view of the N14/D15 junction near where the truck was found:

DS11.jpg

This is an old street view from 2009 so the trees etc. have probably changed a bit, but to me it looks like the reporter is standing here looking south towards the N14/D15 junction:

It's between 180th St and D15/190th St. but really close to the junction.

Last edited:
Later in the video from the article the reporter is standing where the truck was reportedly found. He's pointing to where the jacket was found, so he's standing in the southbound lane looking south:

View attachment 466896

Even later in the video there's a closer view of the N14/D15 junction near where the truck was found:

View attachment 466897

This is an old street view from 2009 so the trees etc. have probably changed a bit, but to me it looks like the reporter is standing here looking south towards the N14/D15 junction:

It's between 180th St and D15/190th St. but really close to the junction.
In your last image above of from KTIV, of the intersection that shows a car in it, why does it look like there's a huge dip in the road, whereas the 2009 and 2021 Google Street View images show it as super flat. I can't imagine the terrain would have been altered for some reason in 2 years... ?

In your last image above of from KTIV, of the intersection that shows a car in it, why does it look like there's a huge dip in the road, whereas the 2009 and 2021 Google Street View images show it as super flat. I can't imagine the terrain would have been altered for some reason in 2 years... ?

I wondered that myself, but there's the blue sign indicating D15 crossing from left to right, so it's presumably the correct road. Unless it's not N14...

I posted to a truck driver group and asked them what they thought happened. The general consensus was that someone had a car or were standing in the road staging an emergency. David got out of the truck to see and they tried to rob him at gunpoint. When they realized he did not have phone and wallet, they panicked that he could get back in the truck and report them. It's a pretty good theory
I’ve been thinking this is the case too. I just recently thought about the case from Bardstown, KY where someone put branches in the road to lure Jason Ellis, a police officer, out of his car, and he was shot multiple times when he got out. Obviously David wasn’t killed in the road, but this type of scenario is the only one that makes sense in my head. JMO.

I think sometimes we try and look too far into the “why” - why would someone transport David somewhere else? Why not just kill him and leave him in the road? Why would someone attack a random 53 year old pig hauler? All valid questions, of course, and we should keep thinking on them, but people who kill/harm other people aren’t thinking the way we are. People who have urges to hurt others aren’t always thinking of a specific victim, sometimes they just want to hurt someone and maybe David was in the wrong place at the wrong time. JMO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferM2017