IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those not familiar with county roads in Iowa or the midwest, I wanted to share some info in case it helps with the road naming/numbering and types of roads:

You've probably noticed county roads are laid out in a 1x1 mile grid. Most of these are gravel, and good enough condition for trucks or tractors year-round unless it's been really wet (which it wasn't). Every few miles there will usually be a paved road. I bring this up because of where he was stopped on paved roads - if the intention of stopping there was to go to a secluded area, there was a gravel option a mile in any direction that would have been far less traveled than the paved roads.

And just a note on naming conventions:
The names "D15" and "N14" are the old county road names that were around for as long as I can remember. Some time in the 90s, Iowa went to a "911" street numbering system for rural addresses, so every house could be easily found for emergencies. This meant new names for every rural road following a pattern. "Streets" were West-East running and were numbers starting at the north end of the county and increasing by 10 for every mile. "Avenues" are North-South running and at least in Sac County appear to be alphabetically named starting on the West side. So the intersection of N14 and D15 is more recently known as Union Ave and 190th St. There are exceptions, and it looks like some of the North-South Avenues also have numbers. I mostly wanted to point that out because it can get a little confusing when you go between counties - there could be a Union Ave and 190th intersection in many counties since the Ave names repeat.
I have an odd interest in street naming conventions and this post is right up my alley. ;)

jmo

The exit for Hwy 20 and Hwy 71 where David turned north is Exit 82 (mile marker 82).
David arrived at the Mile Marker 126 truck stop at 11:15 PM spending 16 minutes before leaving the truck stop, which would have put him on the road around 11:31 PM

It's 44 miles from mile marker 126 to mile marker 82 (Exit 82), which would take about 40 minutes to drive at 65 MPH, given a few extra minutes to get in the truck and back on the road, David should have arrived at Exit 82 around 12:15 AM. This is corroborated by the cell phone data which shows David arriving at the Hwy 20/Hwy 71 intersection (Exit 82) at 12:18 AM.

Factoring in the four miles drive time to the north where the truck was found put the time of arrival around should be 12:22 AM. But the data suggests the truck may have been parked where it was found since 12:40 AM on November 21, 2023.

What happened in the extra 18 minutes it took to drive the four miles from the Hwy 20/Hwy 71 interchange to where the truck was found?

Answer that question and we will know what happened to David.

I sure hope LE is getting a list of all cell phones that were pinging off the cell towers closest to the Hwy 20/Hwy 71 interchange at between 12:18 AM and 12:40 AM.

JMO

Last edited:
Mile Marker 126 Truck Stop - Marker 126 | Fort Dodge IA

LE doesn't say what he was doing for 16 minutes here? But my question is why it took so long to get to the loading facility in Eagle grove? Was he having trouble with his truck or trailer? He was the last truck loaded that night, we at least know that now.
Also know he was apparently supposed to go to Wieckman Hog Buying station (as we suspected) and from video obtained near by he never made it there. So that eliminates anything possibly happening there.

Mile Marker 126 Truck Stop - Marker 126 | Fort Dodge IA

Photo's of exterior here - Marker 126 · 2339 Poplar Ave, Duncombe, IA 50532

LE doesn't say what he was doing for 16 minutes here? But my question is why it took so long to get to the loading facility in Eagle grove? Was he having trouble with his truck or trailer? He was the last truck loaded that night, we at least know that now.
Yeah, we've never read if he had to pick up the empty trailer somewhere first, and if so, where.

I don't think the truck was parked right next to the farm entrance.

From the picture taken of the truck parked on the road with a Sheriff vehicle behind, that farm looks to be a ways off in the distance.

If the truck was that close farm entrance the barn and the field to the east of the barn wouldn't have been seen in the photograph.

I would estimate truck was about half way between the farm and the intersection of N14 and D15.

JMOView attachment 466931

I think the camera is as misleading in this photo as it was in the reporter's video, only in the opposite way.

Look at how huge the dials in the car are. IMO that's almost certainly a wide-angle lens with short focal length, which makes distant objects look smaller and further away than they actually are.

How close they are is difficult to judge, but I think Sarah's car (and David's truck) are much closer to the farm than they appear to be.

Also know he was apparently supposed to go to Wieckman Hog Buying station (as we suspected) and from video obtained near by he never made it there. So that eliminates anything possibly happening there.
Yes! But correcting the spelling of the facility from the Press Release, it's - Wiechman Pig Company! Domestic Markets, International Exports, Live Roaster Pigs, Boxed Fresh, Frozen, All Weights, Sizes, Underweights, Hogs
The Sac City location is number 4 on the map at link.

The exit for Hwy 20 and Hwy 71 where David turned north is Exit 82 (mile marker 82).
David arrived at the Mile Marker 126 truck stop at 11:15 PM spending 16 minutes before leaving the truck stop, which would have put him on the road around 11:31 PM

It's 44 miles from mile marker 126 to mile marker 82 (Exit 82), which would take about 40 minutes to drive at 65 MPH, given a few extra minutes to get in the truck and back on the road, David should have arrived at Exit 82 around 12:15 AM. This is corroborated by the cell phone data which shows David arriving at the Hwy 20/Hwy 71 intersection (Exit 82) at 12:18 AM.

Factoring in the four miles drive time to the north where the truck was found put the time of arrival around should be 12:22 AM. But the data suggests the truck may have been parked where it was found since 12:40 AM on November 21, 2023.

What happened in the extra 18 minutes it took to drive the four miles from the Hwy 20/Hwy 71 interchange to where the truck was found?

Answer that question and we will know what happened to David.

I sure hope LE is getting a list of all cell phones that were pinging off the cell towers closest to the Hwy 20/Hwy 71 interchange at between 12:18 AM and 12:40 AM.

JMO
If David left the house between 7-7:30 pm that night. It's roughly 88 miles to Eagle Grove from his Wall Lake home.
Giving him 30 minutes to get to his truck, fuel, hook up to trailer, then ninety minutes to arrive at the loading facility. He would arrive around 10:00 pm, leaving fifty minutes to load and leave by 10:50 pm. I guess there is nothing suspicious about that time frame. Had to walk through it to get it straight in my mind.

Detectives from the Sac County Sheriff's Office and the Lake View Police traveled to the Eagle Grove area and with assistance from the Wright County Sheriff's Office, located the hog confinement that Schultz was scheduled to load from. Load crew members were interviewed, and load records were obtained. Investigators learned that Schultz had picked up his load but had been late to arrive and he was the last truck loaded. Schultz left at about 10:50 PM.

Hmmm. We now know with certainty where David was supposed to be heading, but the difference between heading north or south is as simple as turning right instead of left when coming off Hwy 20. I assume David had done this delivery before and wouldn't have gotten lost.

Something made him turn the wrong way. And then continue driving for 4 miles instead of turning off onto one of the gravel roads and heading back in the correct direction.

It would be strange (and risky) for an attack or abduction to happen so close to a farm, when there is so much wide open space all around.

More information isn't really answering questions, it's making it weirder.

Hmmm. We now know with certainty where David was supposed to be heading, but the difference between heading north or south is as simple as turning right instead of left when coming off Hwy 20. I assume David had done this delivery before and wouldn't have gotten lost.

Something made him turn the wrong way. And then continue driving for 4 miles instead of turning off onto one of the gravel roads and heading back in the correct direction.

It would be strange (and risky) for an attack or abduction to happen so close to a farm, when there is so much wide open space all around.

And if it was a random attack, ala the style used in Jared Bridegan’s case as mentioned above, although Jared was targeted, of course, what if the car or truck being forced to stop in the dark, no street lights, was full of 4 burly men with guns and knives? I think the attackers would have wished they’d never done such a thing.

I think the camera is as misleading in this photo as it was in the reporter's video, only in the opposite way.

Look at how huge the dials in the car are. IMO that's almost certainly a wide-angle lens with short focal length, which makes distant objects look smaller and further away than they actually are.

How close they are is difficult to judge, but I think Sarah's car (and David's truck) are much closer to the farm than they appear to be.
The photo you are referencing being taken using a wide-angle lens with short focal length IMO was taken from Sarah's cell phone. The dead give away is, and don't ask me why, the blurred sides on the photo seen in a lot of photo's people post that are taken with their phones. I think it's the stupidest thing ever.

JMO

And if it was a random attack, ala the style used in Jared Bridegan’s case as mentioned above, although Jared was targeted, of course, what if the car or truck being forced to stop in the dark, no street lights, was full of 4 burly men with guns and knives? I think the attackers would have wished they’d never done such a thing.
I think both random and targeted attack can be excluded. If it was random, his body or other evidence would be found. If it was targeted, how would they know he was going to drive the wrong way. He could have been attacked by someone he had a disagreement with but he drove North for some reason.

Yes, given the fact that David should have turned south off Hwy 20 I think it's fair to assume that if something happened such as David being attacked, kidnapped, hijacked, held at gun point, happened at the Hwy 20/Hwy71 exit.

David arrived at this exit at the time he should have given the driving distance and time his cell phone put him there. He should have turned south, but didn't. It took almost 20 minutes to drive norht 4 miles. Something very fishy happened there. Just to bad there was no camera to capture it, like the camera at Hwy 20/Hwy 4 interchange.

JMO

I think both random and targeted attack can be excluded. If it was random, his body or other evidence would be found. If it was targeted, how would they know he was going to drive the wrong way. He could have been attacked by someone he had a disagreement with but he drove North for some reason.
Some have suggested he was targeted and forced to stop at that intersection of 20 and 71 and he was taken away from there, and someone else drove his truck north so it wouldn’t be found right away. Perhaps someone followed him from his loading point or the truck stop where they’ve told us he stopped. I don’t know… it’s all bizarre and with so many miles between the truck stop and 20/71, that’s a long time to follow someone or be hidden in their cab.

Yes, given the fact that David should have turned south off Hwy 20 I think it's fair to assume that if something happened such as David being attacked, kidnapped, hijacked, held at gun point, happened at the Hwy 20/Hwy71 exit.

David arrived at this exit at the time he should have given the driving distance and time his cell phone put him there. He should have turned south, but didn't. It took almost 20 minutes to drive norht 4 miles. Something very fishy happened there. Just to bad there was no camera to capture it, like the camera at Hwy 20/Hwy 4 interchange.

JMO
It would be visible from 20, which is basically an interstate, someone would have seen something.

JMO
Wonder if it took 20 minutes to travel four miles because someone else was trying to figure out how to drive the truck??

idk. I'm honestly stumped.

jmo

In a news release, Sac County Sheriff Ken McClure said the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation has assisted with a forensic search of Schultz’s phone and confirmed the missing man has "not legally gone through a U.S. border crossing" to leave the country.

“Cellphone (data) shows Schultz’s phone arrives at Hwy 20 & 71 at about 12:18 a.m. The data shows the phone traveling north to where the truck was found. Data suggests the truck may have been there since 12:40 a.m. on November 21, 2023," the timeline shows.

Video surveillance from "an area business was obtained near Wieckman Hog Buying station,“ the Sac City facility where Schultz was to deliver his load.

"This video shows that David Schultz never made it to Wieckman’s. Law enforcement has searched for additional video footage from Eagle Grove to Fort Dodge but has not located any."

When they said he arrived late at the pick up location and was last to load, do they mean he was later then he said he would be or do they mean it was just late at night. I wonder if he was the last load, if any of the workers clocked out right after and followed him

Attacked before he turned north. Flagged down as he rolled up to the stop sign. Truck then driven off to a more remote location towards the north, somewhere less likely to be spotted by passing vehicles than a busy 4 lane highway interchange. Somewhere David could be transferred to another vehicle and then taken somewhere else. Likely killed.

Who ever, and it would have taken more than one, could have driven away in any one of four directions from where the truck was found. D15 east or west, N14 north or south.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member