IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered that myself, but there's the blue sign indicating D15 crossing from left to right, so it's presumably the correct road. Unless it's not N14...
Yeah... it doesn't seem to match up at all. In this 2021 shot, there are no trees and no farm on the left up ahead. Even the power lines are very different in the 2 shots. The electric substation is on the right just past D15 looking south in this screenshot:

ds-map-1.jpg

I wondered that myself, but there's the blue sign indicating D15 crossing from left to right, so it's presumably the correct road. Unless it's not N14...
In your last image above of from KTIV, of the intersection that shows a car in it, why does it look like there's a huge dip in the road, whereas the 2009 and 2021 Google Street View images show it as super flat. I can't imagine the terrain would have been altered for some reason in 2 years... ?
Later in the video from the article the reporter is standing where the truck was reportedly found. He's pointing to where the jacket was found, so he's standing in the southbound lane looking south:

View attachment 466896

Even later in the video there's a closer view of the N14/D15 junction near where the truck was found:

View attachment 466897

This is an old street view from 2009 so the trees etc. have probably changed a bit, but to me it looks like the reporter is standing here looking south towards the N14/D15 junction:

It's between 180th St and D15/190th St. but really close to the junction.
I believe he's a little further north:

Based on 2 things: there appear to be about 5 poles between him and the intersection, and he's standing just north of the rumble strip. Rumble strips always come in 3 and if you look at the other 2, there aren't enough poles on the right.

I think the camera lens is making it look closer or further away as well. In the other shot with the car they are really zoomed in, compressing the background and making the hills look bigger. (That being said, Iowa is not flat lol, ask any RAGBRAI rider )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231209-095502.png
    Screenshot_20231209-095502.png
    483.7 KB · Views: 19
I believe he's a little further north:

Based on 2 things: there appear to be about 5 poles between him and the intersection, and he's standing just north of the rumble strip. Rumble strips always come in 3 and if you look at the other 2, there aren't enough poles on the right.

I think the camera lens is making it look closer or further away as well. In the other shot with the car they are really zoomed in, compressing the background and making the hills look bigger. (That being said, Iowa is not flat lol, ask any RAGBRAI rider )

D'oh! You're right, there is a dip in the road near the junction when you look at it from further north.

Wow, that's some impressive foreshortening on the news camera lens. It looks like he's standing close to the junction when he's quite a bit further down the road.

I'm quite familiar with optical illusions from cameras, but this one got me.

D'oh! You're right, there is a dip in the road near the junction when you look at it from further north.

Wow, that's some impressive foreshortening on the news camera lens. It looks like he's standing close to the junction when he's quite a bit further down the road.

I'm quite familiar with optical illusions from cameras, but this one got me.
I'm also familiar with the camera illusions, and this one got me as well.

Now I'm even more perplexed.

Where the reporter is standing, there appear to be three utility poles between him and the dip in the road:

DS10.jpg

According to Google Earth, that means he was standing around here based on the position of the poles:

Which means David's truck was parked right next to a farm entrance. Not in the middle of nowhere with nobody around and nowhere to go to get help. Red is the approximate truck location, blue is roughly where the reporter is standing:

DS12.jpg

Now I'm even more perplexed.

Where the reporter is standing, there appear to be three utility poles between him and the dip in the road:

View attachment 466906

According to Google Earth, that means he was standing around here based on the position of the poles:

Which means David's truck was parked right next to a farm entrance. Not in the middle of nowhere with nobody around and nowhere to go to get help. Red is the approximate truck location, blue is roughly where the reporter is standing:

View attachment 466908
I noticed that, too. Could it be that’s where the jacket and mystery items were dumped? That is, several hundred feet north of the truck location?

For what it's worth. There are six telephone poles between the N14/D15 intersection and the first farm house north of D15 on the east side of N14 as seen by the shadows on the Google satellite image. This does not include a seventh pole located directly across from the farm house in which the electrical service for this property is attached with a wire running over the road (N14).

Poles.jpg

I noticed that, too. Could it be that’s where the jacket and mystery items were dumped? That is, several hundred feet north of the truck location?

The reports have all said the jacket was in a ditch across the street from the truck, not a few hundred feet down the road. To me it sounds like they were very close together. But descriptions of locations in this case have been less than reliable, so who knows.

For what it's worth. There are six telephone poles between the N14/D15 intersection and the first farm house north of D15 on the east side of N14 as seen by the shadows on the Google satellite image. This does not include a seventh pole located directly across from the farm house in which the electrical service for this property is attached with a wire running over the road (N14).

View attachment 466909

The dip/hump in the road is almost exactly inline with the third pole in your drawing, and the reporter was standing somewhere past the third pole after the dip in the road. That puts the reporter between the fifth and sixth poles (probably closer to the sixth) on your drawing.

From other information, I think it was on Union Avenue (or 71 (kind of)) between 190th and 180th. This location also coincides with the LE release asking property owners to search their properties in NE Sac County.

The farm that he picked up from let them search all over outside but didn't want them in the facility, which is understandable because they are afraid of bringing disease in. I'm guessing, but I don't think anything happened at the pick up point.
They searched Brushy Creek (which is near where I grew up) for a reason. I suspect LE pointed them toward there and now they are searching west of Ft. Dodge and North of Rockwell City.

Personally, I think he will be found a few miles from the truck. All JMO.
The location of the truck was available very early on from comments from a woman that lived nearby and was helping search. <modsnip: No source to information stated as fact>

Last edited by a moderator:
The reports have all said the jacket was in a ditch across the street from the truck, not a few hundred feet down the road. To me it sounds like they were very close together. But descriptions of locations in this case have been less than reliable, so who knows.
It could have been something I read on SM. Although this article from Nov 22 describes it being found by a search dog, which I think also led me to think it wasn’t right there in eyeshot of the truck. But who knows.

“A search dog was used to look for David Tuesday, which had led them to his jacket in the ditch, but couldn’t go further due to the strong winds Sarah said. On top of the search dog, other authorities have been searching including a plane with thermal imaging, drones, and other searches.”

The location of the truck was available very early on from comments from a woman that lived nearby and was helping search. In addition to his jacket, there was one muck boot and (I think) his gloves.

I didn't remember it was you, but I kept thinking someone had said the truck was found between 190th and 180th. For some reason I couldn't find your post again, and nobody ever mentioned it again, so I thought it must be wrong.

Being parked up right next to a farm entrance, on a lesser-used part of N14 (Hwy 20 to D15 seems to be the busier portion) doesn't sound accidental.

I don't think the truck was parked right next to the farm entrance.

From the picture taken of the truck parked on the road with a Sheriff vehicle behind, that farm looks to be a ways off in the distance.

If the truck was that close farm entrance the barn and the field to the east of the barn wouldn't have been seen in the photograph.

I would estimate truck was about half way between the farm and the intersection of N14 and D15.

JMOTruck Pic 1.jpg

So David wasn't at the Sparky's on Hwy 4, he was at a truck stop further east, a mile or so east of Ft Dodge.

Marker 126 Truck Stop is the name of the place. Must be fairly new, doesn't show up on Google Satellite view.

LE doesn't say anything suspicious happened there.

I’m blown away by all of the details they provided to the public.

I wonder what he was doing for 16 min at the rest stop. Possibly just filling his tank. Did he go inside and buy anything? Does their footage show him getting into his truck alone?

More info, but yet more questions.

I’ve been thinking this is the case too. I just recently thought about the case from Bardstown, KY where someone put branches in the road to lure Jason Ellis, a police officer, out of his car, and he was shot multiple times when he got out. Obviously David wasn’t killed in the road, but this type of scenario is the only one that makes sense in my head. JMO.

I think sometimes we try and look too far into the “why” - why would someone transport David somewhere else? Why not just kill him and leave him in the road? Why would someone attack a random 53 year old pig hauler? All valid questions, of course, and we should keep thinking on them, but people who kill/harm other people aren’t thinking the way we are. People who have urges to hurt others aren’t always thinking of a specific victim, sometimes they just want to hurt someone and maybe David was in the wrong place at the wrong time. JMO!!
Jared Bridegan was lured from his vehicle by placing a tire in the road, sadly this method to get someone to exit their vehicle works.

It could have been a random situation as you point out, wrong place at the wrong time. But he also could have been targeted. I've stayed away from guessing about possible targeted reasons because we have next to nothing to work with. But yesterday LE said “If there was some sort of nefarious act against Dave. Whoever is responsible for that is watching,” said Sheriff Ken McClure. “So we try to limit, you know, what we give out publicly".

Even though Sheriff McClure said all theories are on the table, it doesn't sound like he thinks David is voluntarily missing. It also doesn't sound like they have the cell phone records back yet. They also requested bank and social media records. David didn't have much on his Facebook page, so I thought that particular request was interesting. But maybe most of his posts were private?

He most likely had a computer or there is one in the home - did LE seize it? I wonder if he generated/tracked his own invoicing on a computer, sent and received emails? If he was using paper logs, maybe not. But someone likely did his business taxes, so what did he hand over at year end? A quickbooks file or a box full of papers?

So David wasn't at the Sparky's on Hwy 4, he was at a truck stop further east, a mile or so east of Ft Dodge.

Marker 126 Truck Stop is the name of the place. Must be fairly new, doesn't show up on Google Satellite view.

LE doesn't say anything suspicious happened there.

Here it is on Street view. Found an article that says it was built last year.

Sac County Sheriff's Office

Press Release
For Immediate Release
P.O.C. Sheriff Ken McClure
Date: December 9, 2023

SAC COUNTY, IOWA: November 21, 2023, at 2:23 PM, Sarah Schultz after learning that her husband David Schultz had not dropped a load of pigs off at Wieckman’s hog buying station in Sac City as scheduled that day called the Lake View Police and reported her husband missing after she was unable to make contact with him by telephone. David Schultz left his home around 7:00 PM on the evening of November 20, 2023. Schultz was scheduled to pick up a load of pigs in the Eagle Grove area and transport the pigs to Sac City.

At 3:04 PM on November 21, 2023, a Sac County Secondary Road employee reported to the Sac County Sheriff's Office that there was a semi-tractor-trailer parked on the traveled portion of the road at the intersection of D-15 (190th Street) and N-14 (Union Ave.). It was reported that this semi had been sitting there since early morning. Responding deputies determined that it was David Schultz’s. The semi was shut off, and inside deputies found David Schutlz’s wallet and cell phone. David Schultz’s driver's license was in the wallet. Investigators would later learn that nothing was missing from the wallet.

Over the next several hours, law enforcement searched the immediate area on foot and with a K-9. The Sac County Sheriff’s Office requested assistance from the Iowa State Patrol airwing unit. An airplane was dispatched from Iowa City that was equipped with forward-looking infra-red (FLIR). A state patrol pilot flew the surrounding area and did not detect a heat signature that would be consistent with a person. For the next two days, law enforcement, area firefighters, and volunteers expanded the ground search on foot and with the use of drones. Nothing of significant value was located.

Detectives from the Sac County Sheriff's Office and the Lake View Police traveled to the Eagle Grove area and with assistance from the Wright County Sheriff's Office, located the hog confinement that Schultz was scheduled to load from. Load crew members were interviewed, and load records were obtained. Investigators learned that Schultz had picked up his load but had been late to arrive and he was the last truck loaded. Schultz left at about 10:50 PM.

Investigators obtained video footage of David Schultz at 11:15 PM on November 21, 2023, at the MM126 truck stop east of Fort Dodge on Hwy 20. Schultz is there for 16 minutes before leaving the truck stop. He is then seen on a DOT camera on Hwy 20 west of MM 126 truck stop heading west. This was the last time David Schultz was seen. Cell phone data obtained from David Schult’s phone corroborates this timeline.

Cell phone data also shows investigators that Schultz travels across Hwy to the intersection of Hwy 20 & Hwy 71 junction. There was not any usable video from the DOT camera at Hwy 4 and Hwy 20, and there is no video of Schultz stopping at the truck stop at Hwy 4. Cell phone shows Schultz’s phone arrives at Hwy 20 & 71 at about 12:18 AM. The data shows the phone traveling north to where the truck was found. Data suggests the truck may have been there since 12:40 AM on November 21, 2023.

Video surveillance from an area business was obtained near Wieckman Hog Buying station. This video shows that David Schultz never made it to Wieckman’s. Law enforcement has searched for additional video footage from Eagle Grove to Fort Dodge but has not located any.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation has assisted with a forensic search of David Schultz’s phone. They have also confirmed that David Schultz has not legally gone through a US Bordering Crossing. Information was received that a person named David Schultz had a one-way flight from Minneapolis to Phoenix, AZ on the late afternoon of November 21, 2023. Working with Minneapolis Airport Police and the airline, it was determined after viewing video footage of the gate and receiving ticketing information, that it was not the David Schultz that is missing. DCI continues to assist in the examination of other digital evidence that has been obtained or requested through a subpoena or search warrant.

Over 100-thousand acres have been searched by the United Cajun Navy and many volunteers. As of the time of this press release, David Schultz has not been located.

Agencies that have assisted the Sac County Sheriff’s Office, Lake View Police Dept., and Sac County Attorney’s Office are the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, Iowa State Patrol, Wright County Sheriff’s Office, and Minneapolis, MN Police.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Sac County Sheriff’s Office at 712-662-7127 or your local law enforcement agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234