IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact Mark Riesberg went missing 3 weeks earlier within a mile of where David went missing from, on the same road (!) tells me something is going on.
Although his body was found and was allegedly suicide by gunshot, it does seem an incredible coincidence to have 2 people go missing in such close proximity in a hugely rural area.

Last edited:
There is no way a trained truck driver would stop in a situation, even a forced stop like that and not put on the emergency flashers. It's just second nature to them.
Dave may have put on the Emergency flashers if it was a forced stop. However, once he exits the rig and a person with a gun orders him to turn-off the vehicle, lights, flashers ... he obliged. j/s. Coat tossed and it appears the unk person(s) wanted HIM, nothing more.

Dave may have put on the Emergency flashers if it was a forced stop. However, once he exits the rig and a person with a gun orders him to turn-off the vehicle, lights, flashers ... he obliged. j/s. Coat tossed and it appears the unk person(s) wanted HIM, nothing more.

I find it hard to believe someone in a car would stop someone in one of these huge rigs.
Also, no attempt at 911 was made.

I don't think David was in that truck when it was driven there. His farm overalls are missing, so he may still be wearing them....which could mean whatever happened, happened at a farm while he was still in the overalls. Then someone else drove the truck there.

Would love to hear from the police if there were any other fingerprints on the steering wheel.

"According to the paper, the trailer wasn't pulled over off the side of the road but was not turned off. The pigs were also still inside the truck, according to the Journal, USA Today and the Associated Press."
People Magazine, December 8, 2023 - (inderlined & BBM) - new info or reporting error?

I think the fact Mark Riesberg went missing 3 weeks earlier within a mile of where David went missing from, on the same road (!) tells me something is going on.
Although his body was found and was allegedly suicide by gunshot, it does seem an incredible coincidence to have 2 people go missing in such close proximity in a hugely rural area.
Can you link to a source? I read Riesberg was from Rockwell City, and was found near Jolley, near the Sparky’s rest stop. Not even within 20 min of where David’s truck was found.

Last edited:
Right near where David’s truck was found near the intersection of N14 and D15, (Union Ave at 190th St), there is a power station that was mentioned in an earlier post. I am thinking that there are no cameras there as LE would likely have picked up some info as to what transpired when the truck was left where it was.
Suppose someone was parked there that night. Someone waiting for David so he could leave with them? So he could walk away from his life?
Or an accomplice of someone who hijacked David at the stop sign where he got off Hwy 20, or at Sparky’s? Because of a personal grudge? A road rage incident?

A close family member worked for, and retired from, a Rural Electric company. While it wasn’t in Nebraska, operations of rural electrics is fairly standard, and it is almost inconceivable that the electric substation did not have security cameras.

Maddening that the media can’t even get the man’s address correct.

This claims Riesberg was a Rockwell City resident.

Body of missing Calhoun County man found

This claims he lived in Lytton, off of Rt 20, just east of Sac City.

Missing Iowa Man, Mark Riesberg, located in Jolley | The Wright County Monitor

He has a WS thread:

A close family member worked for, and retired from, a Rural Electric company. While it wasn’t in Nebraska, operations of rural electrics is fairly standard, and it is almost inconceivable that the electric substation did not have security cameras.
Thanks, @windrower. That’s good to know. So I guess the truck wasn’t in the camera view. Still, I hope LE got something helpful from it.

Can you link to a source? I read Riesberg was from Rockwell City, and was found near Jolley, near the Sparky’s rest stop. Not even within 20 min of where David’s truck was found.
Regardless of proximity, I don't find any reason to suspect a link between David's disappearance and Mark Riesberg's suicide. Merely a coincidence, IMO.

From the article, it sounds like multiple items were found in the ditch near David's truck. It does not specify what other items, the article only mentions his winter coat.

Thanks @Ozzie! Finally a few tidbits from LE.

David’s family tells KTIV that some of his items were discovered in a ditch right across the street from where his truck was found. The family says one of those items was his winter jacket. The Sac County Sheriff confirmed the discovery on Thursday, but said all theories are still on the table in determining what happened to David.

“If there was some sort of nefarious act against Dave. Whoever is responsible for that is watching,” said Sheriff Ken McClure. “So we try to limit, you know, what we give out publicly.

The sheriff says his office has sent about a dozen search warrants, subpoenas and preservation letters. They’ve requested documents like phone records, bank records and social media records.

Many of those have yet to be returned, but should be available shortly, hopefully prying loose a lead.

No worries. I followed-up and asked them if anyone had requested the videos since that might make them available. Got some more info:

I went back into our archives and found footage requested by law enforcement for this case. There are two issues that I see with it. First off, the only footage that I have 11:30pm 11/20 – 2am 11/21. Secondly, since law enforcement tagged this footage as potentially being fatal, I am unable to release it to you without their approval. I have reached out to them and will let you know if I hear anything else. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Regards,

(name removed)
ITS Engineering CO-OP
Traffic Operations Bureau
Iowa Department of Transportation
That's good news that LE requested that video. Better them than us, unfortunately. Although I'd love to have it for us to look through, they have much more info to go on than we have. And I'm really glad that they followed through with it.

When I saw your 1st post, and I thought they had neglected to request the video, I was bummed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck