IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaize that this is a small town...but are there any cameras anyplace downtown ?

I don't know that they've checked the cameras just because they were seen in downtown fine. I talked to someone about checking the interstate cameras already but they do not record, they're just a live feed.

Wouldn't it be pretty unusual for someone to have abducted both of them?? It seems like that's a pretty well-traveled area...someone must have seen something.
If the bikes were near an opening in the fence, could someone have put the bikes there? This case is bizzare and sad...I hope the girls are found soon!

nikki ~ So you're saying that the trail around the lake is fenced on both sides, with the exception of the area that I have outlined in red on my map? It appears to be about 23 feet or so based on my rough outline, so that would correspond with your thought of it being about 30 feet.

If that is where they drain and fill the lake, then is there a separate road that leads to that area or do they use the nature trail to drive to the area? It appears that there is an access road south toward the trail and lake at the area where South Evans Road and Arbutus Avenue meet. (Map is in my siggy)

If they were abducted, they could possibly have been pulled into the wooded area and to that access road to a waiting car and been taken from the area fairly quickly, IMO.
That small area is the only fenced on both sides area, right at the south east corner of the lake. It goes from the lake into a neighborhood on arbutus. There is a small amount of wooded area and the pump station but it only sits a small way back from the road. I presume if they need to get back there, they drive up onto the trail, there is no drive way area that I recall.

Where is Eagle Lake?
Eagle lake is just past elk run, maybe about four miles east of Meyers lake and sits on the other side of the interstate. The search I worked yesterday was the eagle lake and bikini beach woods. They were so very dense, I dont think anyone could have gotten back there easily, thats for sure.

Can a local tell me where Bikini Beach is?
Bikini beach is a private lake/pond near eagle lake. It sits very near a residence.

Wouldn't it be pretty unusual for someone to have abducted both of them?? It seems like that's a pretty well-traveled area...someone must have seen something.
If the bikes were near an opening in the fence, could someone have put the bikes there? This case is bizzare and sad...I hope the girls are found soon!

That's why I was thinking it's someone they know. Not necessarily personally, even a handyman, roofers in the area, etc IMO that's just my feeling. I do feel they were abducted sadly.

I think it would probably wouldn't be worth the time to put the bikes there. You would either have to pull into the ditch and take the bikes and put them on the other side of the fence. I think someone would notice that from the interstate. Otherwise you would have to go all the way around the lake on foot or drive on the trail, which once again I think someone would notice. This all leads me to believe that the bikes were not put there.

They went missing early afternoon Friday.

The highway beside where the bikes were found is under construction. Were there construction workers at that location on Friday?

12:!5 - the grandmother last saw them
12:15 (tip) - possible report girls riding bikes behind big n tall shop
12:27 (tip) - possible report that bikes at SE tip Meyers Lake trail
2:00 grandmother starts looking for them
3:00 grandmother contacts police
3:30 - 4:00 bikes located by police at SE tip Meyers Lake

If there were a bunch of construction guys on the road, wouldn't the girls have been safe? Only a deserted stretch of highway would be perfect for abduction. Have police started asking drivers to come forward if they saw anyone pulled onto the shoulder on Friday around noon? They should do a canvas of drivers at noon on Monday and record licences. A tire track match wouldn't be much use after 1100 people searched the area, but someone might seem suspicious.

If the highway is under construction, does that mean it's easier for a vehicle to pull off? Were construction workers in the area at noon on Friday? That seems to be the time that the girls vanished.

12:!5 - the grandmother last saw them
12:15 (tip) - possible report girls riding bikes behind big n tall shop
12:27 (tip) - possible report that bikes at SE tip Meyers Lake trail
2:00 grandmother starts looking for them
3:00 grandmother contacts police
3:30 - 4:00 bikes located by police at SE tip Meyers Lake

If there were a bunch of construction guys on the road, wouldn't the girls have been safe? Only a deserted stretch of highway would be perfect for abduction. Have police started asking drivers to come forward if they saw anyone pulled onto the shoulder on Friday around noon? They should do a canvas of drivers at noon on Monday and record licences. A tire track match wouldn't be much use after 1100 people searched the area, but someone might seem suspicious.

If the highway is under construction, does that mean it's easier for a vehicle to pull off? Were construction workers in the area at noon on Friday? That seems to be the time that the girls vanished.

This road is heavily traveled so canvasing drivers would be no good. The construction workers have already been spoken to.

I think that I have an idea of why the purse would be on the other side of the fence. If these girls were abducted, when they were being placed in a car or whatever they were driving, I bet the abductor saw the purse. When they looked in the purse they saw the cell phone or they just didn't want the purse to be with them and threw the purse off to the side.

I live within miles of the Evandale there are several private discussion groups being carried on...They are saying the phone was only used for games...That both the girls were outdoorsy and new how to swim..

I think that I have an idea of why the purse would be on the other side of the fence. If these girls were abducted, when they were being placed in a car or whatever they were driving, I bet the abductor saw the purse. When they looked in the purse they saw the cell phone or they just didn't want the purse to be with them and threw the purse off to the side.

Either the girls tossed the purse/phone "away from the bikes" because they planned to "cross the fence", or they crossed the fence towards the highway with the purse/phone and the person that grabbed them tossed the phone towards the bikes.

A perp wouldn't want the cell phone in case of GPS tracking or pings.

It's possible that the girls threw the purse/phone over the fence towards the lake, then tried to enter the lake just after the fence ends with the intention of swimming to the dock.

SE_Meyers_Lake_Fence.jpg

2 young girls, riding their bikes together, I wonder why the bikes were at two different spots. If you are out together and you stop for something, you would stop in the same spot, imo. That, to me, says that someone grabbed the girl in the back first and when the one up front stopped they moved up to grab her too.

jmo

I want to add that s. Evans and arbutus are residential areas with many homes. Right after you exit the are where there is fence on both sides, you are at the location where s. Evans curves into arbutus. At that curve, you can come out of the trail. So that part is wooded, there isn't a house there, and it's only about as deep as a regular residential lot size. I would think if someone did dump the bikes, they would have done it from that side. They could have drive right backup the fence area, though that might be more suspicious, or they could have parked curbside and been under the cover of trees basically from the roadway all the way back to where the bikes were found. I do imagine though that most of the people living near there were at work at that time of day though so it might be easy to not be spotted. It's a short walk from the road to that spot.

I live within miles of the Evandale there are several private discussion groups being carried on...They are saying the phone was only used for games...That both the girls were outdoorsy and new how to swim..

Welcome to WS!

:welcome:

As far as the 12:27 bike sighting on the trail- I have searched diligently for the original post that was on a FB page re the missing girls- BUT I can't for the life of me find it now! Did any one else see it last night?
It was something about a girl that posted her Dad was biking the trail from Gilbertville to the lake, and he saw two bikes on the trail, but no kids. He had gone to a restroom at some point very soon after & spoke to her by phone. Apparently he did not call the tip in until later, after learning the girls were missing, and knew the app. time based on his call to the daughter. she had stated that LE did not ask him for contact info in case of needed followup.
Did LE ever confirm this tip??

All civilian volunteer searches are suspended until media releases as of 7*15*12 @5pm according to Kent Smock Evansdale Chief of Police. Confirmed at 8pm 7/15/12.

If you have information you feel would aid the OFFICIALS in finding Lyric and Elizabeth, please contact Evansdale Police at (319)232-6682, Black Hawk County Sherrifs at 319-291-2515, or CALL 911. Your efforts and positive intentions are truly appreciated but should not be posted to this event page.*

These girls have been missing since 12:30pm Friday July 13, 2012. The search parties including; helicopters, diving teams, foot searches and door knockers haven't been able to locate these girls. The search will resume about 8 am meet at Meyers lake, the location they were last seen.

Lyric Morrisey is 10 and Elizabeth Collins is almost 9. Lyric is the daughter of Mysti Cook Morrisey and Dan Morrisey & Elizabeth is the Daughter of Drew Collins and Heather COOK Collins. You may know Drew and Heather from Johnsons Bakery & Planetary Tree Service. Both Families attend Vineyard Churches and are active in the community.

This is completely out of character for either of the girls and time is running out to bring them home safely. At this time, it appears to be an abduction. But there are really no more details. It isn't believed that the girls are off with a friend and or got lost.

Please continue to share this and bring as much awareness as you can so that if they are spotted you know to call 319*291*2515 or 911.

Did anyone see about the physic that gave a place downtown Waterloo? She said she keeps seeing them in a building but the man refuses to let the police search and a judge won't issue a warrant. I find it strange that this man won't let them if he is innocent.. but it is Waterloo. Is anyone sees this on facebook please send me the link. I saw it early this afternoon.

As far as the 12:27 bike sighting on the trail- I have searched diligently for the original post that was on a FB page re the missing girls- BUT I can't for the life of me find it now! Did any one else see it last night?
It was something about a girl that posted her Dad was biking the trail from Gilbertville to the lake, and he saw two bikes on the trail, but no kids. He had gone to a restroom at some point very soon after & spoke to her by phone. Apparently he did not call the tip in until later, after learning the girls were missing, and knew the app. time based on his call to the daughter. she had stated that LE did not ask him for contact info in case of needed followup.
Did LE ever confirm this tip??

I did see about that but he didn't call the tip in until after he heard about the girls. I'm not sure if the tip has been confirmed.

Perhaps it was only used for games by the 8 year old. It was her phone. The 10 year old may have given out the number. The phone was given to the 8 year old most likely as an emergency contact ... but it didn't work. Still, it could have been used to lure the girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member