IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching HLN and they had JVM talking about the case, she is going to have the grandma on tonight. The grandmother is saying it is very unlikely they would have gone swimming, they were very girlie and liked to keep their makeup, clothes, shoes, etc. looking nice. Also said they have went for bike rides a thousand times and were never gone more than 20 or 30 minutes. I think this is looking more and more like they were picked up long before getting to the lake.

I thought it had previously been said they were 'outdoorsy'.....????
makeup???

Okay so this shows they most likely would have been coming from the east, head west around the lake. So they would have just passed or approached the wooded area. That's creepy to me. Somebody could have been waiting there for sure. :(

I agree. I don't know why but I always assumed up to this point they were heading east. Wish we knew for sure which direction the bikes were heading. Maybe someone could ask that on the fb page and the tipster will answer.

What is closest to that wooded area? Houses? I need to zoom the map into that area.

Was watching HLN and they had JVM talking about the case, she is going to have the grandma on tonight. The grandmother is saying it is very unlikely they would have gone swimming, they were very girlie and liked to keep their makeup, clothes, shoes, etc. looking nice. Also said they have went for bike rides a thousand times and were never gone more than 20 or 30 minutes. I think this is looking more and more like they were picked up long before getting to the lake.

But if the timing is correct, how could someone abduct them and ditch the bikes in (less than) 30 minutes. Especially if the bikes were seen about 12:30ish. I wonder if gma really knows what time she saw them last? And even if they did make it to the lake, they would have had to haul *advertiser censored* to get there and be kidnapped immediately and totally out of the picture before Mr. Biker came along at 12:27 and swerved to miss their bikes and see nothing of a possible abduction at all.

Something is just not adding up to me.

Do we know what Lyric's brother was up to all summer? What about her father, DM? No word from him yet.

Well, we just went over to the spot on the trail near where the bikes were found. There is police tape blocking the trail from where the inside fence starts, so we couldn't get down to the narrowest part. I took some pics, nothing much to see though, except how the trail narrows there and goes into a tight, tunnel-like spot.

We also checked out the pump house. There has clearly been lots of activity around this spot, and the driveway is more visible than I remember. From the building (which is no bigger than a small garage), we could see the lake through the trees. We could barely see the trail as well. There is no spot in the driveway that we could not see/be seen from Arbutus, and the police station is about one block away as well.

We went to the park, which is across the lake from where the bikes were found, and could see, across the lake, a vehicle parked near the rock jetty, and more police tape blocking the trail there. There were police- uniformed and otherwise - at the park, some people who seemed to be maintaining a vigil (lawnchairs, cooler, etc) seated near the lake's edge, reporters and news trucks, and other onlookers.

We just got home to see they are draining the lake. The scenario of someone taking them while parked in that pump-house driveway seems much less likely having looked closer - the undergrowth is thick but the woods really aren't, so you wouldn't have the sense of being out of sight at that spot.

I don't like seeing some reports that the girls went missing after riding to the lake, since nobody knows that they actually rode to the lake. But, given Occam's Razor, I suppose finding the bikes there, etc, means it is the most-likely scenario.

Draining the lake is a wise idea. They actually just drained it about two years ago, after the major floods in the area essentially wiped out any decent fishing, etc, and it had taken a year or so to slowly re-fill. We saw the police in our neighbor's backyard when we were at the park, so we came home but have not seen any LE since.

Part of me is hoping they find something in the lake, part of me is hoping they do not.

Question, why are 8 and 10 year olds wearing makeup? lol
My girls didn't wear makeup until they were in middle school.

I find that info from the grandmother very telling........the girls didn't like to go swimming. HUMMM

I agree. I don't know why but I always assumed up to this point they were heading east. Wish we knew for sure which direction the bikes were heading. Maybe someone could ask that on the fb page and the tipster will answer.

What is closest to that wooded area? Houses? I need to zoom the map into that area.

Yes, me too. To the north in the woods there is what looks like a utility house with a little driveway leading to it. And then woods behind it. Before approaching the lake, it looks like the trail goes thru a neighborhood and possibly very briefly along the highway.

Per Nursebeeme's link above on the des moines register, the dad is saying that his daughter was very girlie but also rugged and liked the outdoors.

But if the timing is correct, how could someone abduct them and ditch the bikes in (less than) 30 minutes. Especially if the bikes were seen about 12:30ish. I wonder if gma really knows what time she saw them last? And even if they did make it to the lake, they would have had to haul *advertiser censored* to get there and be kidnapped immediately and totally out of the picture before Mr. Biker came along at 12:27 and swerved to miss their bikes and see nothing of a possible abduction at all.

Something is just not adding up to me.

Do we know what Lyric's brother was up to all summer? What about her father, DM? No word from him yet.

I dont know how that could have happened in 30 minutes.

Just a thought...if no one saw the girls after/before the sighting at 12:15 or anything else out of place for that matter...its not impossible to think no one noticed someone staging the bikes, be it teenagers riding the bikes, other kids or some father looking figure carrying them..

I think things we do not deem out of the norm, are sort of put to the side of our memories. If I saw a man who looked like a father carrying two bikes, if that would stick out in my mind. If I saw a creepy looking man who clearly was not a dad, it might. If I saw two teenage boys riding girls bikes I would think they stole them and make note, but not every one will.

There is a reason you are told to shout "FIRE" when you are in need of help. Because its proven most people will not respond.

I was a victim of a brutal dog attack, a Rottie mauled my leg so badly I need over 300 stitches. I saw people coming out of their homes to watch (I was in the highschool parking lot across from my own home, and this was in a town of 2300 people....these were my neighbors!) and no one came to help me. Not one single person came over, my own dog ended up saving me...and I dragged myself into my house and called 911 myself...I moved shortly there after...as I knew most of my neighbors hunted and two that came out were volunteer firemen! And no I was not disliked, the police said afterwards, they just assumed I was ok because I wasn't screaming (I was trying to not make the dog more aggressive by making acts/noises that sounded like fighting back!)......

Just my humble opinion.

Question, why are 8 and 10 year olds wearing makeup? lol
My girls didn't wear makeup until they were in middle school.

I find that info from the grandmother very telling........the girls didn't like to go swimming. HUMMM

But, didn't we hear that the girls were good swimmers ? I could swear I read that.I think a family member said it... MOO

Just went back and rewatched it (gotta love being able to rewind live tv with Directv!) and it appears I added makeup in, she just said shoes, purses, etc. And it did appear from what she said that it was 12:15 when they left the grandmother's.

Even if they did like to go swimming I find it strange that they we would toss their purse with their phone across a fence before they went in the lake. Why wouldn't they just set it beside the bikes?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't had a good look at the map and the direction the girls were going. Could you tell me if the girls would have been heading east on the trail (towards the woods), or would have they been traveling west on the trail (would have already past the woods)? Thanks in advance.

TBH, it is entirely plausible they were traveling in either direcition. If they came down the trail where it passes most closely by their home/last known location, it is more likely they would have been traveling westbound on the trail, and came to the woods/end of fence first. However, having just returned from that area, it would seem their bikes were found farther down the trail, well past the end of the fence, as the police tape is tied off to the end of the fence in question. I would think if it appeared something happened right there, the tape would have kept us farther away.

I agree that taking the time to dump the bikes there seems odd, and would be risky. I'm sure that's why they're draining the lake. But the way no clothing was found (flip-flops), no signs of struggle at all anywhere near there, yet the bag was found over the fence, just seems to me that the location of the bikes/purse might not be any indication that the girls were ever there. It seems it would take multiple accomplices to get the girls secured and then move the bikes.

I can't escape the feeling that someone just came across the purse and tossed it over the fence. Or that some kids, maybe at the school or the skatepark, came across those bikes and rode them to that spot only to leave them there and now are afraid to come forward for fear of being accused of something they may know nothing about, or that they know more about but have been threatened.

My mind has also been going in that direction, that they possibly could have drowned in the lake, perhaps as an explanation much easier to accept than someone stalking children in this relatively small town, despite the number of SO living there.

MOO

Didn't LE say they have searched the lake and are satisfied they arent there?

imo

Looks like they are about to start the press conference. You can hear reporter chit chat. They were talking about the cell phone not being able to take calls - only to dial 911.

Many thanks to those who can transcribe the presser for those of us still trapped at work. :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech