IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they went SWIMMING every day, not necessarily to a beach. Certainly not to the swampy, leech infested lake (as described by the locals and in photos).

They might've made friends at the pool, but if they've been going to a beach, where was it? Who was there?

Where: George Wyth Park.

Who: the general public

Lyric was going there with her mother. It wasn't mentioned whether Elizabeth was accompanying them.

They updated this article from yesterday to show that Chelsea Beahr plead guilty today.

Online court records show one of those people was supposed to go on trial Tuesday in Waterloo. Chelsea Beahr was suppose to be in court Tuesday on drug charges, but decided to plead guilty. Her sentencing is set for October 1st.

She was arrested at the same time as Dan Morrissey and Jason Stolfus.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19152101/search-for-missing-girls-continues

Wouldnt there be fingerprints on the purse if a stranger had tossed it?

I’m hopeful there will be fingerprints somewhere: on the cell phone, purse or bicycles (handlebar, crossbar or under the seat) from repositioning them. Maybe on the gate or the gate latch, fence or a lock that was cut off (if there was a lock). Possibly from the paddleboat or the dock where the boat was tied up — if it was utilized as a vantage point to see who was on the trail… or as a lure.

I wonder if the gate opens toward the lake or toward the path (or swings both ways)? I’m thinking it could have been used as a blocking tool given that the trail is so narrow there between the two fences. Partial fingerprints on wire mesh maybe?

I feel the same way, and remember, there are two segments of a family here that each operate and socialize in completely different circles.

One has turned even more to their faith, the other seems to have turned to their coping mechanism. Because its not how we might do it, or because it might be self-destructive or seem non-caring to us, doesn't change the fact that its all they know; its how they deal with things. Frustrating, but not surprising.

I've heard many things around town lately that are very disheartening regarding how one of the families is coping, but ppl here know them, and are more saddened than surprised. Some, of course, are angry at the family, but that seems shallow to me. I would believe that if they knew a better way out of this situation, or a better way to deal with it, they would go that route.

Ollipop, the thank you button just wasn't enough.

I have a friend who turned to heroin after she survived a really vicious gang rape. She did manage to get off the heroin. She now feels great shame about it but the truth as I see it is that I am actually glad she turned to heroin. She couldn't cope with what happened to her and it was heroin or suicide. It's better she chose to live, even though she needed that crutch.

The people that are criticising the way some families members cope should be counting their blessings that they don't have such a horror to deal with themselves.

But where would kids hide two bodies?

And would parents really cover up not only two murders but also two bodies?

I think that way too. Thinking of a vagrant-type person attracted to the area because of the availability of meth and other drugs who might have relatives or "friends" nearby or a very secluded camp. Has a vehicle or access to a vehicle.

I have a friend who turned to heroin after she survived a really vicious gang rape. She did manage to get off the heroin. She now feels great shame about it but the truth as I see it is that I am actually glad she turned to heroin. She couldn't cope with what happened to her and it was heroin or suicide. It's better she chose to live, even though she needed that crutch.

The people that are criticising the way some families members cope should be counting their blessings that they don't have such a horror to deal with themselves.
I am saddened to hear about your friend. I hope she continues to be healthy.

IMO, if the young lady in the new article (BB) was having difficulty coping, she could have made an appointment with a health practitioner who would have prescribed Xanax in her own name and she wouldn't have been arrested. I don't think her behavior is "coping".

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

In all honesty, a friend and I were just discussing last night the "opportunities" we've had to make the same mistake that one of these families made years ago. For various reasons, we didn't get caught in the grip of drugs, but one seemingly innocuous decision at a party could have changed the path of our lives forever. And we'd both had multiple chances to make the same bad decisions. We didn't always make the smart one, but, luckily, we somehow got away unscathed.

Its not like someone wakes up one morning and says, "Today is the day I do something that will cause my life to spiral out of control." People make choices, based on their lives up to that point, that they honestly feel are good or safe or trivial. With hindsight, they might realize otherwise, but unfortunately that is sometimes too late.

One simple decision, often to go along with the crowd at that moment because you so desperately need to be accepted or liked, can have major repercussions. Once you step through the door, so to speak, you will experience things that may cause you to make ever-worse decisions. Unfortunately, many around you are not going to stop you, they are in the same trap. Misery loves company.

I don't know if anyone in this group could handle the Xanax properly tho. Good counseling sessions with a placebo. IMO

In all honesty, a friend and I were just discussing last night the "opportunities" we've had to make the same mistake that one of these families made years ago. For various reasons, we didn't get caught in the grip of drugs, but one seemingly innocuous decision at a party could have changed the path of our lives forever. And we'd both had multiple chances to make the same bad decisions. We didn't always make the smart one, but, luckily, we somehow got away unscathed.

Its not like someone wakes up one morning and says, "Today is the day I do something that will cause my life to spiral out of control." People make choices, based on their lives up to that point, that they honestly feel are good or safe or trivial. With hindsight, they might realize otherwise, but unfortunately that is sometimes too late.

One simple decision, often to go along with the crowd at that moment because you so desperately need to be accepted or liked, can have major repercussions. Once you step through the door, so to speak, you will experience things that may cause you to make ever-worse decisions. Unfortunately, many around you are not going to stop you, they are in the same trap. Misery loves company.

Agree, if you ever watch Dr Phil, he tells drug and alcohol addicted individuals that they my NEVER be able to go back to their city or home environment.

Most that do, go back to hanging out with the same groups/individuals that helped get them in trouble in the first place.

I grew up in the late 60s/early 70s. I never hung out with a particularly drug oriented crowd and I can't even drink alcohol myself (Korean drinking gene) but given the times, it's not too surprising that I knew lots of people who tried drugs. None of my close friends were heavy drug users but almost everyone I knew had tried something.

And the vast majority of the people I knew casually who tried drugs never became addicted, so far as I know. That would be because for most common drugs, more people try them once or twice than become addicted.

Part of the temptation, I think, is that there's a certain BS factor to the anti-drug education programs, advertisements, etc. When the official line seems to be "try it once and your life will be over" the reality most people observe is that they know people who tried it once and were fine.

It's kinda like being diagnosed with cancer; everyone knows intellectually it could happen but very few people think it could happen to them.

And so, everyone I have met who ended up with a substance abuse problem was surprised. They didn't start out to be drug addicts. It just happened and they never thought it would happen to them.

All I know is that what we, as a nation, are doing is not working except to fund giant criminal enterprises.

Agree, if you ever watch Dr Phil, he tells drug and alcohol addicted individuals that they my NEVER be able to go back to their city or home environment.

Most that do, go back to hanging out with the same groups/individuals that helped get them in trouble in the first place.

In total agreement too! Cliche', but drug abuse is a vicious cycle. Until the families and people in a community decide they have had enough of the drugs, that they are sick of their friends becoming addicted and going to jail, that they decide they don't want anyone else to overdose, and they don't want to see their children falling into the same cycle they did, and they don't want to see their innocent children abducted by God only knows who, then and only then will they be successful at breaking that cycle. It is gonna take a heck of a backbone to stand up to these druggies though. It means reporting ANYTHING you think might be suspicious regarding the sale of drugs, manufacturing, etc. al., That includes neighbors, good friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and so on. By the arrests that have been made, it looks like someone is making an attempt to clean up the town. At the rate we're going, sadly, it looks and sounds like the whole family could end up in jail with regards to drugs. Then who will be there for Elizabeth and Lyric when they come home?

Well, after watching that video on YouTube, I could use a Xanax.
Sorry.

is there any more info on this person? i really hope this person has been found and spoken to...

Here is something interesting to note regarding the above comment and Wyeth park...I found this post on craigslist.

It seems very similar in writing style to the pervie/puppy guy...

bike trail in george wyth - m4w - 30 (waterloo)

Date: 2012-07-12, 8:50PM CDT
Reply to: kbptj-3135922019@pers.craigslist.org

i passed by you we caught i contact, you were wearing a blue tank top and black shorts. you had glasses on. if this is you and you remember this happening tell me what color bike i have or something u noticed about me. i hope you see this cause i would like to talk to you
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 3135922019

its possible our pervie puppy guy was also at the park. He did say he was getting desperate.

Counseling would never be able to control anxiety attacks. Never.

IMO, JMO, MOO

As a person who has anxiety attacks, I agree.

P.S.: I love your signature. Poor little Sky! Beautiful child - where are you?

I grew up in the late 60s/early 70s. I never hung out with a particularly drug oriented crowd and I can't even drink alcohol myself (Korean drinking gene) but given the times, it's not too surprising that I knew lots of people who tried drugs. None of my close friends were heavy drug users but almost everyone I knew had tried something.

And the vast majority of the people I knew casually who tried drugs never became addicted, so far as I know. That would be because for most common drugs, more people try them once or twice than become addicted.

Part of the temptation, I think, is that there's a certain BS factor to the anti-drug education programs, advertisements, etc. When the official line seems to be "try it once and your life will be over" the reality most people observe is that they know people who tried it once and were fine.

It's kinda like being diagnosed with cancer; everyone knows intellectually it could happen but very few people think it could happen to them.

And so, everyone I have met who ended up with a substance abuse problem was surprised. They didn't start out to be drug addicts. It just happened and they never thought it would happen to them.

All I know is that what we, as a nation, are doing is not working except to fund giant criminal enterprises.

Wonderful post! I do think, however, the movement against the drug use in our nation must start at a grassroots level. It is going to have to be individuals and families who are sick and tired of the "crap" (attracting unsavory type characters, friends and family OD'ing, kids turning up missing, theft, arrests, addiction) that drugs bring into their lives, their communities, their towns and don't put up with any more. More people like Mr. Carpenter and his wife are needed, they get ouside and are familiar with their neighbors, the neighbors' children and the activities that are going on around them. To end it, you gotta stay on it like stink on a skunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876