IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is just something fundamental about this case that defies logic. MOO

eta: it is also a possibility that the media quoted the officer out of context and they called them on it and so it was redacted. That happens as well at times.

the editor? The PIO for LE after reading it? Just some thoughts..It was a very awkward statement for sure... or rather awkward wording imhoo. Had to be a reason it isn't up there any longer and why the tweets now just are saying to call with any tips.

Ahhh, to be a fly on the wall in that newsroom. Wondering how that conversation went down. Editors don't take kindly to people telling them to take out quotes. My answer would have been, "You said it, you own it." Maybe the awkwardness of it was the reason why it was taken out ...

I had to take it up to 400% and search for a leash/lead. I can't remember when the first dogs were brought in. I want to say the evening of the 13th, but definitely could be wrong on that one.

Some dogs work on lead, others work off lead. Depends on the dog, the handler, the training and the environment.

Some dogs work best if they are having to pull the handler along a bit, it seems to increase their eagerness. Other dogs get distracted or they find the pressure of the leash uncomfortable, so they work better off lead.

Working dog people often have 30 inch leads that fold up nicely to tuck into a pocket. Who needs 6 feet, when most of that length is coiled up in your hand?

There is just something fundamental about this case that defies logic. MOO

I admittedly expected for them to be recovered from the lake in a swimming accident.

I cannot believe that they were both abducted in the middle of this little town. TWO little girls missing at the same exact time...

Kurt Warner, from CR and played football at UNI in Cedar Falls

What is the name of the good-looking man who just moved from Entertainment Tonight to the Hallmark Channel? I'm tired, can't think of his name, but he was on ET with Mary Hart for years. Doesn't he come from right around the area? I wonder if he would help? I wonder if the Hallmark Channel would help?

Ahhh, to be a fly on the wall in that newsroom. Wondering how that conversation went down. Editors don't take kindly to people telling them to take out quotes. My answer would have been, "You said it, you own it." Maybe the awkwardness of it was the reason why it was taken out ...

it was up and down so fast though! I am sure this is what happened.. either that or a newbie reporter printed an off the record exchange and it got the axe by the PIO (public information officer) asap?

Maybe it is just me, but that statement is very discouraging, IMO. To me, it reads as though they are asking for anything, no matter how small, that might provide a lead. I really feel that LE is in a jam here, that whatever they might have been originally following did not pan out.

'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'.

I can't, so I won't. Good night all! Hope these girls come home soon!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

"“We are still thinking of the girls. We are still wanting the girls home. We still plan on the girls being home. We are not going to stop searching,” said Heather Collins, mother of Elizabeth Collins." MOO

the editor? The PIO for LE after reading it? Just some thoughts..It was a very awkward statement for sure... or rather awkward wording imhoo. Had to be a reason it isn't up there any longer and why the tweets now just are saying to call with any tips.

This is a different story done by WCF Courier tonight, the edited story was by KCRG this afternoon.
It's the whole "regardless of involvment" statement that really makes me think there's more than one perp.
They even gave the person an out, by saying "unknowingly" along with a "minor part" then they might think they won't be in too much trouble.

it was up and down so fast though! I am sure this is what happened.. either that or a newbie reporter printed an off the record exchange and it got the axe by the POI asap?

Guessing it was just a convoluted statement so the copy editor or editor axed it after finally getting around to look at it (I've noticed more typos in the last few years from internet news sources ... as though they want to get a story up so fast no one is looking at it first). If it was off the record, oops, and thanks to the reporter for giving us something to ponder.

it was up and down so fast though! I am sure this is what happened.. either that or a newbie reporter printed an off the record exchange and it got the axe by the POI asap?

Yes, but now the statement has been printed in the WCFcourier article about the vigil. It was KCRG that took it out.

Yes, but now the statement has been printed in the WCFcourier article about the vigil. It was KCRG that took it out.

Ahhh ... so one axed it and one left it in? Hmmmm ... that just made this all the more interesting. Thank you, MotherOcean.

so if it stays:

it asks that all people come forward even if they only played a small part or saw something that was significant

and if it goes:

keep calling in tips

is that it in a nutshell?

this is where I disagree. I think they were lured.. sweet talked if you will.. There were two of them. Get aggressive the other runs.

But what crazy perp even gets it in his or her head to lure two at the same time.

Then I think back to the Shawn Hornsbeck case and realize there are people that really do think like this.

(guess you were right about that abyss thing GD... cause I cannot see into it at all.. hoping an fbi profiler is able to!)

Could have very well been lured. Just thinking at some point it changes from lure to grab. On that side of the fence it is hard to run and in that situation might be hard to think straight. Of course we don't know but it could explain the purse location. A toss of the purse from the other side of the 6-8' fence might have to be at a trajectory that lands the purse in the water. The unliklihood of clearing a fence and then drop makes me feel Elisabeth was on that side.

I'm not from the area. It's hard to tell. The picture taken on July 14 seems to show shoreline before the lake was drained. This is a close up cropped portion of the original photo.

meyersshorejuly14.jpg

I think it was MNDad that posted the picture a couple of days ago and said that it was from July 14, which was before the lake was drained. Here's a picture of the police with a dog ... also on the lakeside of the fence:

meyersshoredog.jpg

Your explanation makes sense, but I have read other posts that made it sound like "oh that is icky, no one would go that way"

I agree they could have gone along the shoreline, and that it appears to be easily passable, but remember that those bushes there aren't two-dimensional...they stick out over the water. From the angle in this pic, we can see the shoreline, but even standing there on the jetty, its not so obvious. And, while it is all the way across the lake, standing out on the other side of the fence gives you the sense that everyone at the parking area, everyone in any of the houses, etc, can see you. It "feels" exposed, vs the trail there, which is at least partially obscured.

I don't think we'll know, or it will matter. If they were there, they got out of there, and quickly, by either route. I think Maiden Lane is plausible, I think a car on Arbutus is plausible.

A couple of possibilities:

The girls laid the bikes down themselves, were out on the jetty when approached, and led away by the shore or the path, and Lizzie simply never picked her purse up from where she set it down.

The girls had been on the jetty, Lizzie had set her purse down, and they made their own way back to Maiden Lane - by shore or by trail and around the fence, and were approached back there. Maybe they had something secret they were up to, like smoking a cigarette or some other forbidden treat, or were lured.

The girls were on their bikes there on the trail when approached, the purse was tossed or dropped during the "getaway."

The girls were at some other location when approached, and the bikes found their way to the lake w/o the girls - by the perps, by someone aiding the perps, or by teens/bike thieves.

I think we all agree that the simplest scenario is the most likely.

At any rate, the details and evidence that may explain how it exactly happened elude us, however they left the trail or the lake area, so this question may never be answered, and even knowing the answer wouldn't change much.

I'm getting more and more hung up on what the FBI said about the passage of time not concerning them with respect to them strongly believing the girls are alive. What connotations would that have, considering this latest statement by LE, about "minor" or "unintentional" roles. I should think that anyone who thinks they are sitting on info is doing it purposefully at this point.

Just some late-night ramblin, MOO.

^^That second pic is taken after the lake has been partially drained.

I'm not being snarky here, I'm honestly confused.

There is no alley per se behind the stores where the video was shot. The street that the girls were caught on video bicycling down is the street Elizabeth lives on. The area with the sheds, etc, seen in the video is in full view of the houses on Brovan.

The house Elizabeth lives in was just barely outside the frame of the video.

The stores are more or less a strip mall set in the middle of the block. The area in front of the stores is used for parking; the area in back of the stores is used for deliveries and storage.

Anything that happens in back of the stores is more or less in full view of several houses.

So are you saying you feel there is something about Elizabeth's neighbourhood that is sketchy? Or is it something about that particular day?

I got a negative feeling when I saw the photo of the rear of the stores and the loading area. Also when I saw Ollipop's photo of the overgrown gravelly area that we now know as Maiden Lane. It may be something about that particular day in both spots that is giving me the sketchy feeling. Maybe something bad connected to the girls happened in both places?

I asked if is backyards of homes facing that street and loading area because I wondered if kids and adults may have been out in their backyards that day having lunch outside, playing in a backyard pool, sitting and relaxing, weeding the flower border, and seen or heard something suspicious happen in that loading area or on that street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ademith83