IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, he did grab two little girls in broad daylight. He confessed to abducting and killing SammieJo White, 11, and her friend Carmen Cubias, 9.

He wasn't taken to trial because he was tried in the Groene case first, then the Anthony Martinez case and already had a couple death sentences.

For anyone who thinks that grabbing two girls from a relatively isolated spot would be too risky, consider Anthony Martinez. He was 10 years old, playing in his own front yard with a group of friends when Duncan approached asking for help looking for a lost cat. When the group refused to help, Duncan grabbed Anthony Martinez and forced him into his truck at knifepoint.

You'd think that with all those eyewitnesses and a partial fingerprint, Duncan would have been caught. But it was actually not until 2005, when bloggers made the connection between the composite sketch and the truck description with Duncan and his vehicle.

My point is, there's no such thing as "too risky" to a psychopath. There's only "can I do it?"

Absolutely to that last statement!

And let's not forget that JED kept a blog after his prior parole and on it, basically said he really wanted to rape and kill some more. I have forgotten the exact phrasing but it wasn't subtle.

I think if you search his name on Tru TV crime library there is a link to a cache of his blog posts. They don't come much sicker than that guy.

I just don't know what to hope for in E and L's case. None of the probable scenarios are very good, and we have such pitifully little to go on to suggest one scenario is more likely than another.

It is both heartbreaking and maddening.

My gut still tells me that the lake as a whole is a red herring. I just don't know why but I keep thinking back to those white sheds in the videos and how deserted the alley behind the stores was. It just seems more likely that they were scooped up off the street or alley and their bikes dumped off later at the lake. Not much later, but later.

It may have been a perp who was watching for a day or two and had seen the girls go to the lake before.

I also think the TG and the C's accounts may be muddying up the timeline, however well-intentioned. I honestly think we should clean our timeline of everything between 12:15 and 4pm, as bad as that is.

Sorry for the novel, and the above is JMO.

I hope LE and the FBI are monitoring Internet "dark nets" and on the lookout for the girls on inappropriate web sites. Some "dark nets" illegal guns, any drug imaginable, child *advertiser censored*, etc can be purchased and traded. This does seem more and more like something organized and the girls being alive = $$$ to the perps.

Man, I thought I was pretty savvy to the seamy underbelly of this world but I had NEVER heard of TOR or "dark net" until the Jun Lin murder/video by LM.

I agree, I hope LE and FBI are all over that stuff and are just keeping mum on their investigation. I would hate to have their jobs. :(

I'm really not sure what any of the responses have to do with what I had actually posted. What I said was that most sexual predators have a preference for a certain type, and that it would be a bigger hassle to abduct 2 girls than it would one.

I keep thinking about this, too.

If this perp was grooming one of the girls online through their FB accounts or Moshi Monsters or whatever, maybe he did not expect his intended victim to bring her cousin and had to act fast to nab both girls instead of the one.

OR.... if this was a "white van" grab, possibly the perp felt extra bold because he had been watching the girls for a day or two and figured he had a good chance at grabbing them since they rode down those pretty deserted areas by themselves.

OR....maybe he just didn't give a fig and grabbed them, not caring. Maybe he has an accomplice, which makes me think of a pedo/*advertiser censored* ring more than a assault situation.

Oy, I need more coffee.

I remember when Johnny Gosch went missing and the news was all over it for a long time. With this case it feels like it has gone stone cold after two weeks. I'm about ready to call my local news agency and ask why this isn't front page news. Two little girls are gone, it should be all over the local news at least. I don't care if they have nothing to report, just say something, anything.

Going west on I-380 past Evansdale, you're heading towards Waterloo and Cedar Falls. So there are gas stations not far heading west.

Going east on I-380 past Evansdale, I don't think so. At least, not before where you can turn south to follow the intereste to Cedar Rapids and eventually I-80 (which is what I do). If you keep going east on US 20, I have no idea how far the next gas station is.

EDIT: Let me add that Eastern Iowa is relatively well populated. I would imagine it would be hard go more than... twenty miles in a straight line between gas stations.

The very next exit to the east of River Forest Rd there are 2 large Truck stops.

just wondering .... does anyone know if they searched the mitchell sandpitts area or the hidden lake behind aspros?

They've been to the sand pits a few times, once with a voluenteer search party, and a few times based off of tips received. Idk about the lake behind Aspro.

I hope LE and the FBI are monitoring Internet "dark nets" and on the lookout for the girls on inappropriate web sites. Some "dark nets" illegal guns, any drug imaginable, child *advertiser censored*, etc can be purchased and traded. This does seem more and more like something organized and the girls being alive = $$$ to the perps.

Is that the google name, 'dark net'?

Just remember, this is not only about the missing girls, it's about all of our children. All of our children is at risk. That's why Im so furious that the news isn't broadcasting this everyday over and over. I feel like these perps allways get away with this evil. Sorry for ranting, I'm just so angry.

I remember when Johnny Gosch went missing and the news was all over it for a long time. With this case it feels like it has gone stone cold after two weeks. I'm about ready to call my local news agency and ask why this isn't front page news. Two little girls are gone, it should be all over the local news at least. I don't care if they have nothing to report, just say something, anything.

THIS is why I think the disappearance is more than a random "abduction" by an unknown perp. Combine the lack of MEDIA coverage with the lack of PARENT/FAMILY exposure and lack of LE/FBI updating during the last 2 weeks...doesn't make sense that there would be "nothing new to report" as the reason!

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_8082df22-e2e4-11e1-9b91-001a4bcf887a.html
Days21
Hours13
Minutes13
Seconds

* This ticker indicates how long the girls have gone missing. The ticker counts up from 12:15 p.m. on July 13, when authorities say the girls were last seen riding their bikes in downtown Evansdale"

"EVANSDALE, Iowa --- A vigil for missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, and Elizabeth Collins, 9, will be 7 p.m. tonight at Meyers Lake according to organizers and family members"

I'm praying for the girls tonight as always, but won't be posting... tears are flowing here for the Shunick family. R.I.P. beautiful lady. This world hardly deserved your beauty.

OT -

Body Confirmed As Mickey Shunick

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...037/Body-confirmed-Mickey-Shunick?odyssey=tab

:sigh:

Thank you for the link. This is what I call a mixed blessing, very sad for her family but also good that they can bring her home and give her a proper burial. My prayers for them in this difficult time.

New.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...nformation?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

"FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said authorities have leads that make them believe the girls are still alive, but Ceilley said it’s hard for friends and family to hear day after day that no new information is available.

“The FBI’s got nothing,” he said. “It’s the same story every time they meet with them.”

Breault said the most important thing is for people to keep providing information"

Just remember, this is not only about the missing girls, it's about all of our children. All of our children is at risk. That's why Im so furious that the news isn't broadcasting this everyday over and over. I feel like these perps allways get away with this evil. Sorry for ranting, I'm just so angry.

Agree! You would think that if it were a "random abduction", media, LE and even family would maintain media exposure to either alert or inform the public.

Early on in the disappearance LE stated that they didn't feel others were at risk. I haven't heard any updates on this, so...

If others STILL aren't at risk and the public has not been advised to look for specific suspicious people, activities, clues (other than the vague "white van") it would appear that there is a suspect, motive, or method that LE/family has knowledge of.

I really do applaud you parents who are keeping a close watch over your children and doing everything you can to protect them from the evil monsters out there. When stories like this are put on the news, let them watch it. MAYBE it will scare them enough that they will be careful. Kids seem to think they are indestructible and bad things won't happen to them. They need to be reminded every day that bad things DO happen when we let down our guards. It can happen anywhere, and it only takes a few seconds.

Positive thougths everyone. The weekend is upon us, more people are moving around in thier daily lives, hopefully some type of clues will surface.
I truly hope all sales in the area for duck tape, shovel, etc. were checked for the 13th. I hope every scrap of paper in the crime area was looked at carefully to see if the perp accidently disgarded it hoping for a clue.
Pray, think positive thoughts that these two little one come home safe.

New.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...nformation?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

"FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said authorities have leads that make them believe the girls are still alive, but Ceilley said it’s hard for friends and family to hear day after day that no new information is available.

“The FBI’s got nothing,” he said. “It’s the same story every time they meet with them.”

Breault said the most important thing is for people to keep providing information"

So LE is telling the family day after day that they believe the girls are alive?

I think it is hard for the parents to hear day after day that there is no new information available.

I don't think LE is making a point to tell family day after day that they believe the girls are still alive.

My gut still tells me that the lake as a whole is a red herring. I just don't know why but I keep thinking back to those white sheds in the videos and how deserted the alley behind the stores was. It just seems more likely that they were scooped up off the street or alley and their bikes dumped off later at the lake. Not much later, but later.

It may have been a perp who was watching for a day or two and had seen the girls go to the lake before.

I also think the TG and the C's accounts may be muddying up the timeline, however well-intentioned. I honestly think we should clean our timeline of everything between 12:15 and 4pm, as bad as that is.

Sorry for the novel, and the above is JMO.

SBM

Keep in mind that while the area in back of the stores looked deserted in that video, there is actually a row of houses facing the back of the stores. Elizabeth's house was just barely out of view, in fact.

The deserted looking area behind the stores isn't actually an alley. It's more like a loading dock zone.

I'm not saying that it would have been impossible to grab the girls from there but it would have been right in front of a row of houses with full views of the area, including Elizabeth's house.

I agree with tossing the sightings by TG and the Carpenters. Or, at least, not taking them into account at this time.

Makes me wonder what eye witness statements LE collected from people who chose (wisely) not to come forward to the media.

“There’s still someone out there that was in the area that day,” she said. “They may not think they saw or witnessed anything but we still want them to come forward.”

BBM

Ok, either this statement doesn't make any sense whatsoever or it's telling us a little tidbit.

1. "There is still someone out there that was in the area that day."

How do they know that? How do they KNOW there was someone there that saw something? Either they have a POI, someone that more than one person says they saw there, or they are going on the gross assumtion that "someone had to see something" which very well may NOT be the case.
It was in the middle of the afternoon in a very small community for cryin' out loud...it didn't happen in downtown Manhattan...there could very well be NO ONE who saw anything else.

2. “They may not think they saw or witnessed anything but we still want them to come forward".

Let's be honest...well meaning, innocent people who WOULD come forward have already come forward and given up any info they can.

I am growing more and more frustrated by LE with the "we want people to keep giving us information" yet they offer NOTHING as far as updates. People are NOT going to follow this story much longer (sadly). LE needs to give out something to keep this story alive - right now hearing "we have nothing" is sickening.:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member