IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting this. I hope and pray wherever Katie is now, her life is much happier than it was when she was young. No child should have to live like that, total failure of so many adults around her. My heart just aches and breaks for the Katie's in this often ugly world.

The people around her have been zealous about protecting her privacy.

Her lawyer did say that she graduated high school with honours, got her bachelors in psychology and had been accepted into law school.

I think it is safe to infer that her life is much better now.

Man, someone at Trapp Realtors needs to learn how to process images without all the Jpeg artifacts. I swear I have seen all of these photos before with much better quality, but everywhere I look now, they are all these crappy images.

I was at that Realtor's sit quite a long time ago, saw the same photos as cindersoot, and they were far from 'crappy' then. I would imagine, considering its location and all, they might be temporarily blurred due to an overload of site hits, calls, snoops... Sort of like many various listings, social media pages, videos and images have been altered, blurred, deleted. Doncha feel like a paparazzi? lol

I think that one thing to keep in mind is that allegedly Lyric was late enough coming home that it initiated a phone call to LE a few days before she actually disappeared. So, something was going on. MOO

Agreed, I think the previous coming home late and the girls disappearing July 13 are connected.
IMO

I never watched a movie of this type before, but I'm thinking it might let the viewer in on how a perp operates.

Strictly in my own opinion, Megan is Missing is some amateur's version of how he thinks perps operate. Written from the common horror movie adage "if you can't scare them, gross them out."

Personally, when I want to know how a perp might operate, I look for nonfiction by the experts in criminal psychology.

I don't see some of the discrepencies that some here are seeing in the family's recountings of that day. But, it is really hard to imagine that they would not have found the bikes, unless their timing is off and they weren't there as long as they think they were. I also can't imagine Aunt T. who I see as a very "zippy" kind of person not charging around the lake until she found the bikes. She has said that the man told her the girls were traveling west, but she has also said that the man said they were heading east. I am not sure if this is a discrepency so much as it is a reflection of her personality which is... well... "zippy". But, if she was in fact told that the girls were traveling west, and not that they were traveling east, then she may have went the wrong way and so she didn't come across the bikes.

I think AuntTB seems to have a lot of energy. I also think she has a natural preference to be as close to the centre of the action as she can get. I'm not saying that in a judgmental way, just in a "that's the way she is" sort of way.

If all the action was in the parking lot, I think that's where AuntTB would stay, rather than going off on her own all alone.

Okay, I just realised how to put it. I think Aunt TB is a classic extrovert who gains energy when in contact with other people. It's a difficult concept for this introvert to get but I have known other people like that.

Let's think this through. The house is empty and it is for sale. That would mean that there's a lock box at the house and that anyone could enter the home at any time without notice. How likely is it that someone related to the owner is going to take two children to an empty house that anyone can enter and offer them anything.

They cannot enter the house if the key has been removed from the lockbox. Of course, that would mean that someone who knew the lockbox code would be implicated. There could be several folks who knew the code: every RE agent around, anyone sent to the home to clean-up or make repairs, etc.

I'm curious to hear what made the police and the sherriff's dept all swarm to one specific place? Why send the manpower all to one place instead of spreading all around town looking? That wouldn't be the norm unless someone has seen something take place would it? If all they said was "the girls were riding round the block and now they're gone", wouldn't they go to their last seen area by grandma first?

I aLso agree, I think the timing is off somewhere, and something's odd. I think the police would have sent their officers all around the lake, and the bikes should have been found within minutes. Also, wouldn't the entrance the family took been the one closest to their home, and shouldn't they have found the bikes instead?

Also, if the Police headed straight to the lake, someone had to give some pretty convincing narrative as to why they thought they were there. So, if grandma and company were out driving around for a while before the girls were reported missing, what happened in between that made the lake the suspect area?

I know we're not privy to all info, but why don't they give us some good info to work with :floorlaugh: they're giving us just enough to chase our tails, getting nowhere.

Is there any evidence that LE went only to the lake?

So far as I know, there isn't. That LE "swarmed" the lake is an eye witness account from Aunt TB. Since she was at the lake, she has no way of knowing what else LE was doing.

Since the volunteer fire department was apparently deployed (we know because volunteer firefighter found the bicycles), that means other LE and volunteer firefighters could have been searching other places as well.

We don't know about it because Aunt TB didn't know about it. Since Aunt TB is apparently not omniscient, I think we can safely conclude that there may have been more going on with LE that day than she reported.

Is there any evidence that LE went only to the lake?

So far as I know, there isn't. That LE "swarmed" the lake is an eye witness account from Aunt TB. Since she was at the lake, she has no way of knowing what else LE was doing.

Since the volunteer fire department was apparently deployed (we know because volunteer firefighter found the bicycles), that means other LE and volunteer firefighters could have been searching other places as well.

We don't know about it because Aunt TB didn't know about it. Since Aunt TB is apparently not omniscient, I think we can safely conclude that there may have been more going on with LE that day than she reported.

Lol, could is the operative word. I sure hope LE searched other places.

If the guy that TB spoke with was right..then the question arises...what were the girls doing between 12:15 (19) and 2:30, when TB says he said he saw them riding West/East on the trail.
My guess is that they were doing the same thing that Lyric and her other cousin were doing in Waterloo when Lyric was late coming home from her "destination" a couple of days before the disappearance.
<snip>

What they were doing reminds me of when I was about 11 yrs old. My neighbor friend sneaked a few packs of her moms cigarettes. We tried them under a covered porch just two doors away. We both got sick and swore off them for life.

Not saying it's the case here but one never knows??

Run a malware program instead of an antivirus and see what it finds. Try malware bytes (the name may be off but you'll find it on google)

Thank you for the advice! Yep, 4 things installed when I tried to watch that Megan is Missing video. Ugh. Hopefully fixed now.

The people around her have been zealous about protecting her privacy.

Her lawyer did say that she graduated high school with honours, got her bachelors in psychology and had been accepted into law school.

I think it is safe to infer that her life is much better now.

Thank you. I am so happy for her.

Where was WC when Aunt T. spoke to the man? I wonder if she backed Aunt T.'s story up.

I don't know but from my admittedly limited experience with LE they likely separated any possible witnesses, including Aunt T. and "runner guy" if he was still there, as soon as possible. I've even seen it happen in a really bad car accident in front of my house. I didn't even see the wreck, just heard it, called 911, went outside, and still they separated me (and any other neighbors) from anyone else almost immediately. I would guess it's to try and decrease people influencing each other's statements but I don't know.

Assuming "runner guy" exists, I can see how it'd make sense for Aunt T. to say that LE knew who he was, if she was being interviewed by different LE officers at the time they got his info, and she later talked to media. I still think she sounded awfully suspicious of him in her statement to the media.

I wish I lived near enough and was independently wealthy so I could devote my time to WHERE the girls might be, instead of arguing and re-hashing over and over how they got gone! As far as I'm concerned, we're not going to get there with the info we have. Vital parts are missing, and I'm sure for good reason.

They're gone, personally i'm beyond that part, i don't need to be right about how it happened, so i'm not going to argue, but I'd love to sleuth places they could be. Houses with storm cellars, house plans with bunkers built underneath if we're following the lovely bones theory. Anecdotal info from the folks at the hardware store about how 'ole ........ Bought an awful lot of lumbar or concrete, and nothing looks different as his place that we can see..., or where has ole....been, haven't seen him around much lately.... Hey did you hear?.......

I just wish these two beautiful innocent sweet girls were home!

**Sorry if I stepped on any toes, don't mean to at all. I'm just a little frustrated that these girls aren't here, and wish I could do more to help. :(

:whiteflag:

Mahoolin, most Iowa homes have either a basement or a storm cellar because of the risk of tornadoes.

If some perp wanted to keep victims at their house, all they'd probably have to do would be soundproof their basement.

In fact... some Iowa farmhouses have not only a basement but an old root cellar not located under the house that was also used as a storm cellar. Or an old storm cellar that belonged to a house that was torn down for some reason and then a new house built on a different part of the property. I don't think it's common but since I know of 2 such situations, I think it's not necessarily completely rare, either.

What a depressing thought.

They cannot enter the house if the key has been removed from the lockbox. Of course, that would mean that someone who knew the lockbox code would be implicated. There could be several folks who knew the code: every RE agent around, anyone sent to the home to clean-up or make repairs, etc.

I still wonder, and apologize if someone already answered this, but I read from locals that this part of Iowa is sort of the "leave your doors unlocked" type of place. If that's true when someone's not home and they have a predictable pattern, i.e. work, it might not be that hard to "borrow" their house for awhile. Not to do anything violent but to possibly entice and keep the girls temporarily. "oooh let's play this awesome video game! it's brand new!"

If, IF, the unnamed witness isn't real , who is the last known person who saw the girls after the CCTV sighting?

As far as I know, no one.

If someone else saw them, they haven't spoken to the media and LE is not releasing any information about them.

To stop the scent at the water so that everyone asks which way did they go. People walk through streams and rivers to mask their scent when they are running away from something. I'm not a big believer in the abduction by paddleboat theory. MOO

Which is, by the way, a myth. Particularly in a hot scent situation, a subject following a watercourse isn't hiding anything from a dog. They only wish they were.

Strictly in my own opinion, Megan is Missing is some amateur's version of how he thinks perps operate. Written from the common horror movie adage "if you can't scare them, gross them out."

Personally, when I want to know how a perp might operate, I look for nonfiction by the experts in criminal psychology.

Not just your own opinion, if you don't mind if I share :) . I agree. I actually thought the first hour or so was scary but somewhat realistic, the last 20-30 minutes I wish I could erase from my brain. I didn't even think it was all that badly done until the "gross them out" part. Are there nonfiction books or movies you particularly recommend or got a lot out of? I'd be interested in checking them out. It's so unfathomable for me how these perps think but I'm interested in human psychology. I may not want to know, it's just so far out of the "norm" that it makes me think.

Wanted to separate this from my earlier replies: for some probably naive reason I still keep feeling like these girls are alive and being reasonably well cared for. I had that same dream I mentioned earlier again today, that they're unharmed and anxious but at least alive, at best not even physically harmed. I know absolutely nothing and don't claim to be a "psychic" or anything but I can't believe how often that picture has come into my head and dreams. I'm relatlvely new here so maybe I'm just living in a dream-world... I just really think and want to think they're ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member