IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually thought it was a great description of how people think when on Meth, whether or not it was a misunderstood joke. Not from personal experience but from hearing others' experiences your bathroom painting scenario was exactly right! I think it's helpful that you gave such a detailed scenario.

Well, thank you.

I learned about it from watching my stepson struggle with it. He never tried to re-paint the bathroom but if he had, what I wrote is how it would go. We lived, we learned and we are now both able to laugh about the Christmas cookie disaster (meth and a teen who didn't know how to cook anything that didn't involve a microwave, not a good combination).

He has been sober for over 14 years now and although the path he chose is not where I would walk, it works for him. Since he's the one living his life, that is all that counts.

Since I commented on this, I just want to make it clear that I don't believe the reporter lied about anything myself, only that there is a very limited "quote", and that LE has not publicly acknowledged the reported sighting...at least not in this manner.

Also, I think you make an excellent point that if he was telling them he saw the bikes there that they would want to know where he saw them. It was not an "official" reporting of the incident..in fact, they were reportedly off duty..according to the reporter. MOO

BBM - I just wanted to clarify that they were volunteering their time to search and investigate Lyric & Elizabeth's abduction. They weren't just "off-duty" and hanging out at the lake.

BBM - THIS! So important to tag, especially when you and others have spent a long time trying to establish someone's exact quote or a specific fact. These debates tend to be cyclical and if you didn't tag it well when it first was debated or quoted, then you can pretty much rest assured you WILL be having the same debate or searching for the same darn thing three threads down the line :)

Uh oh, I'm off to research how to add tags...

BBM - THIS! So important to tag, especially when you and others have spent a long time trying to establish someone's exact quote or a specific fact. These debates tend to be cyclical and if you didn't tag it well when it first was debated or quoted, then you can pretty much rest assured you WILL be having the same debate or searching for the same darn thing three threads down the line :)
I totally agree! Tags are important if you're trying to find something later. I give up on using them to search the threads though. Usually the tags people choose are not helpful unless you're trying to search in Google to find any info at all. "Alabama", "missing girls", "abducted", "full names of family members", etc are not helpful when you're trying to search a thread as a WS member. IMO, JMO, MOO

If it helps any, Abben talked about the bikes leaning against the fence in the press conference on July 18, I think.

Ok, in this picture TG's bike is facing TOWARDS Arbatus. I firmly believe this pic was taken on the back side of the lake, where both fences are...but maybe up a bit from the exact section where the bikes were found. If he would keep riding in the direction he's facing he would come right up on Arbatus .

Based on the shadows, I have thought this photo was taken in the afternoon, with TG on his bike facing west (into the sun), with TG biking from the direction of the Cedar Valley Nature Trail. The CV nature trail meets up with the Evansdale Nature Trail east of Myers Lake. If this is the case, he would not need to have turned his bike around to talk with the officers, and the officers would be in the position of blocking traffic from the SE access point of the trail.

ETA: I thought the photo from the above quote would be included also ... sorry that it isn't. I don't know how to add it.

If it helps any, Abben talked about the bikes leaning against the fence in the press conference on July 18, I think.
That helps me. It also causes confusion for me as well, lol.
Abben saw the bikes against the fence.
An eye witness said he saw the bikes on the riders path.
Who moved the bikes I wonder.

moo

BBM - I just wanted to clarify that they were volunteering their time to search and investigate Lyric & Elizabeth's abduction. They weren't just "off-duty" and hanging out at the lake.

I didn't suggest they were "just" anything. I just said what was said in the article about that interaction. No one under these circumstances would assume they were "hanging out". Just sayin'. MOO

Uh oh, I'm off to research how to add tags...

truman, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page... it is right by bookmarks.. you click on edit tags and you can add tags to the box. If you want to highlight a post number.

example: say I want to put "map" in the tags... than you would put: map#3 (or whatever post number you are referring to) (you can put the post number for easy reference or you can just add the word)

Trueman... I just added bikes#428 as someone had linked an article about the bike position...

can you see it show up there in the tag box?

hth

so funny you guys are discussing tags and locating things. I was actually thinking about this as I fell asleep. We have all these great tools such as timelines and maps, and patti does her youtube archives, all of which are huge resources.

It occurred to me as I was dosing off last night that the next case I had real time to devote to, I want to create a resource containing only direct quotes by players and investigators in that case. I want it separated by person so that somehow, I could go directly to that person's spot and find every single direct quote ever uttered in relation to that case.

I haven't worked out the hows or the whens, but I really do think such a thing could be a huge resource and help many of us avoid pulling our hair out trying to repeatedly find quotes and statements we know we linked two weeks ago.

I just added one about the bikes laying on the path per witness as I quoted it yesterday on this thread.

But....But....Nursie... What happens when we are naughty and the post get deleted and the numbers change. than the post number is messed up and it messes up the tag number...

The difficulty with tagging is simply finding that balance between being too specific (hard to find without knowing specific wording that was used) or being too vague (searching for just "bikes" would bring up nearly every post in the thread).

Naming tags takes a little finesse but you don't learn til you practice.

One thing I can tell you is that you cannot always believe everything LE says to the public. They don't always tell the facts as they really are and its used as a strategy for when they do their interrogations to know if the person of interest is telling the truth or not. They are usually very vague in their facts and tend to omit certain things. With LE you have to learn to read between the lines. They have a tough job sorting through all the facts from fiction in order to put the pieces together. My son still cries over a 7 year old who died in his arms after a drunk driver crashed into the vehicle she was a passenger in. He's always telling me its tough when its involving a child.

I respectfully disagree with part of your posting, purely based on a recent personal experience. I think you can believe what LE says to the public and they do tell the facts without consideration given to rumors, media and public interpretation, or speculation. Media coverage, public interpretation, speculated statements and rumors SHOULD NOT be considered reliable.

I agree that LE is very vague in their facts and purposely omits information as part of the investigation, witness authentication, POI interrogation. I believe that reliable witness statements to LE are kept confidential and what a witness reports to the public may not be what was reported to LE. I do question why reliable witnesses would make a public statement, however I know about the persistance and tactics used by Media to get them to talk. Also, I believe when LE states that they have POIs that they are questioning and evidence that they have collected, they know ALOT more about the case than the public believes.

LE cannot just arrest someone WITHOUT EVIDENCE OR PROOF, which may take time. Just because information is not given to the public, it doesn't mean that they don't know what is going on in the case or don't have a supect, motive, etc. This I know for a fact!

This would be super helpful! I finally started keeping my own separate document about the articles I've had to look up multiple times, but I didn't know there was a way to tag the posts to make them easier to find. I'll try to figure it out and tag my future posts.

so funny you guys are discussing tags and locating things. I was actually thinking about this as I fell asleep. We have all these great tools such as timelines and maps, and patti does her youtube archives, all of which are huge resources.

It occurred to me as I was dosing off last night that the next case I had real time to devote to, I want to create a resource containing only direct quotes by players and investigators in that case. I want it separated by person so that somehow, I could go directly to that person's spot and find every single direct quote ever uttered in relating to that case.

I haven't worked out the hows or the whens, but I really do think such a thing could be a huge resource and help many of us avoid pulling our hair out trying to repeatedly find quotes and statements we know we linked two weeks ago.
That is an excellent idea.

I just hate that there are no pressers from LE --not that I've seen anyway. The silence is deafening. It truly scares me that 2 little girls have been missing going on 6-7 weeks and there is nothing!

Can you imagine how the parents, grandparents and other family members feel?
These little girls need to be found and brought home.

I hate the silence!
It has been nothing but active with the drama going on with the family and all of the O'Ding and arrests and shady people connected to the case.
You are so right about the LE.
They lost my faith in them from the start when they stated they felt that the girls were alive.
Why would you even think to say that and then come out and say
you do not know.

Now there is nothing but silence form them.
I get angry thinking about it.
At least come out and say you are on top of things or still checking on leads
or something.
Keep the the interest alive people even if you do not know if they are.
ACT like you know what the heck you are doing in this case!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz