IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't caught up with today's posts, but wanted to respond to the news of Dan's hearing, and his comments. However, I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't be in violation of TOS.

Well, I guess I can make a couple of comments. Dan looks haggard, IMO. And I was glad to see he was wearing his pink t-shirt for the girls.

I don't think this is what happened to these two girls either. But the topic of human trafficking has come up in a lot of different threads on missing kids as well as young women. It's not a new concept, but apparently some people just refuse to believe it exists.

I think most of the kids who are stolen are probably kids from broken homes, or from drug addicted parents, or kids who are allowed to roam the streets with no supervision. But I imagine there have been some stolen from playgrounds or other places where a parent may not be paying attention.

I don't think there is a 'catalog', at least not one in print. There is a network of people who negotiate these orders by untraceable phones or word of mouth, possibly websites with their own servers that go through multiple proxies in order to prevent them being traced. The FBI employs some pretty smart hackers and I have no doubt they have cracked a few of these, but more are out there.

I am throwing in the towel on this topic:banghead:

I haven't caught up with today's posts, but wanted to respond to the news of Dan's hearing, and his comments. However, I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't be in violation of TOS.

Well, I guess I can make a couple of comments. Dan looks haggard, IMO. And I was glad to see he was wearing his pink t-shirt for the girls.

I think this is the link from today. He's wearing a different t-shirt this time, not pink...and he has a smile on his face.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19605749/dan-morrissey-appears-in-court-friday

MOO

It has given predators a new venue to troll for victims and the assumption of secrecy may have pulled in some borderline predators but sexual crimes against children are nothing new. In fact, unless my memory is failing me, sexual crimes against children have been dropping since 1992.

http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/factsheet.html#3

When I grew up in the late 60s and early 70s, there were just as many sexual crimes against children but no one talked about it. If a girl was victimised in such a public way that it could not be hidden, then the most common response was to move her elsewhere so that she could "start over." The implication was that she would be too ashamed to face her peers after such a crime. That's what happened to one girl I knew who was jogging with her sister before school when a perp popped out of the corn field they were passing with a gun, coerced them both into the field with him, pistol whipped her sister so badly that she died and raped the girl I knew.

Most of the girls I knew back then were victims of a household member or a trusted authority figure, as I was (junior high school guidance counsellor). Just standing up and saying "I was raped" in public was a revolutionary act. Literally, in the sense that the feminist movement hoped that if rape victims spoke up, a revolution would then ensue that would end rape.

Sadly, many of us did speak up but the revolution never happened.

Or maybe it is happening in slow motion. At least it is no longer regarded as an unthinkable act to say "I was raped." Although people who stand up are often accused of lying, etc.

It is hard to say. What seems to me to have happened is that freedom of movement for women is much more curtailed now under the pretext of avoiding sexual assault.

And there are still men who think it is okay to make rape jokes.

The more things change, the more they remain the same...

Sending you a big hug, GrainneDhu!

Good morning sleuth friends. Everytime I come here my heart skips a beat hoping for good news. It's such a bummer when there isn't.

I know, cindersoot, I know. But I guess no news is good news.

I know, cindersoot, I know. But I guess no news is good news.

(Just for a quick smile in this heart-sinking reality: One day I had WS open and decided to purchase some music on iTunes. So I pull up the store in front of my browser and start sampling music and realize your little cat is bopping to the sounds in the corner. Made my morning. :))

The music lovin' cat in my avatar looks exactly like one of my two cats, so I get a kick out of seeing him bopping back and forth!!

http://globegazette.com/news/iowa/v...cle_397d1826-fd11-11e1-88a2-001a4bcf887a.html

"Lyric and Elizabeth's Cans of Hope" is/was today. I'm not sure how "official" the FB page is for this so I'm not posting the link, but in a nutshell it's a fundraising effort where people have been collecting cans and bottles, and are encouraged to bring them to the Cattle Congress (I'm not sure what this is but I gather it's some type of fair like thing). The money's going towards the Missing and Exploited Children's Organization.

I'm looking for more MSM info on it, but there's some at the link above. From looking at pics and updates on one of the search pages for the girls, it looks like it's been super successful. There were already pics of a garage full of bags of cans, and another with both a truck bed and trailer filled with even more, before the official event even started. Wow! As of about 2 hours ago (per FB) they'd filled one "U-haul" type truck already, and they're working on filling another one.

So inspirational! I don't know how many involved with the can drive are also members here but I would guess quite a few.

THANK YOU!!!!!

for all of your hard work in the search for these girls, and the fundraiser to help "our girls" and future kids in need.

http://www.fox28iowa.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kfxa_vid_12709.shtml

WATERLOO (CBS2/FOX28) – Jamie Mangrich knows the value of bottles and cans, and not just that they’ll net you 5 cents each at the redemption center, but how quickly it’ll add up.
"I used to work at the redemption center,” he said filling a giant plastic bag with cans. “Nobody thinks that their cans are going to amount to anything so you get a lot of people that just throw them away."

It's so sad not to see a lot of people on here anymore.

I'm still here. (if it matters) just dont know what to say!

I'm still here. (if it matters) just dont know what to say!

I'm still here, too, Simp...and I don't know what to say either. <sigh>

It seems I've spent the last two days going back and forth from here to trying to Google-up something new. It would appear that we've done a good job of covering everything that's out there! :)

BTW, has anybody heard anything new from MCM? We heard from DM today and not long ago there was a short video of HC and DC, but what about MCM?

I'm still here, too. :(

I just check in and read, tho. Not much to say that hasn't been said.

I'm still here, too. :(

I just check in and read, tho. Not much to say that hasn't been said.

Thanks guys. I don't have anything to say either. Just sad in the middle of the night and no one else is here and I have to logoff. Feels like I'm leaving our girls all alone in the dark. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Relentless85