IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea when we'll find out the autopsy findings?

According to locals, maybe never.

One thing strikes me - if someone is protecting someone because they have been told the girls are still safe and well, that someone might be mighty upset about now, to find out they've been lied to and the girls murdered.

Upset enough to start talking, I hope.

:furious:

Fields of brown: Drought conditions shaping up this year

July 15, 2012 3:00 pm • By MATTHEW WILDE, matt.wilde@wcfcourier.com
(0) Comments

WATERLOO, Iowa — There’s a brownout building in Iowa corn and bean fields.

It’s too early to say the Midwest is officially in the midst of a major drought, says Elwynn Taylor. But the Iowa State University Extension climatologist and agronomist said on Wednesday the long overdue weather calamity farmers fear is here...

...The National Weather Service in Des Moines forecasts continued below-normal precipitation and above-normal temperatures statewide for the remainder of the month. Unless a miracle occurs, Taylor expects the next USDA yield forecast will be below 144 bushels per acre.

“It adds up to be a widespread drought,” Taylor said. “Statistically we’re well overdue. We don’t anticipate normal weather.”

The last major drought engulfed the Corn Belt in 1988. One occurs every 19 years, on average, according to 800 years of tree ring data.

Taylor told farmers for years to expect another significant dry spell. In March, he hammered the point home during at seminar at the Hawkeye Farm Show in Cedar Falls, saying “this isn’t time to give up on crop insurance.”

Waterloo is short 5.2 inches of rain since Jan. 1, NWS data indicate. The U.S. Drought Monitor map on Tuesday shows a moderate to severe drought exists in Northeast Iowa, significant change from a week earlier when most of the region was considered abnormally dry.

Ken Eggena of Rural Cedar Falls said 15 percent of his corn, which is on light, sandy ground, is toast. The rest, on heavy, black dirt, which usually produces 200 bushels or more per acre, will be lucky to eke out 140 bushels, Eggena said. And that will only happen if it rains an inch or two in the next two weeks, he added.

http://wcfcourier.com/business/loca...cle_13bad400-ccdf-11e1-abc8-001a4bcf887a.html

How far does the nature trail that runs into evandale go? The trail that bikers take. Would it run as far north as that park?

No, it ends at Evandsale northwise, or goes down to Cedar Rapids southwise. There's a bike path in town too, but it doesn't go outside the city limit

No, I don't think you're wrong. After discussing the weather and water levels, I think we've concluded that they aren't likely to have washed up there.

You can find all the weather records including rainfall totals for that area
on Weather Underground or at NOAA ... if someone wants to dig that
out.

So I was looking at Iowa's Department of transportation website for information on the construction project on 380 and I came across the timeline of closures and from this information it appears as though you could access 380 from River Forest road. Can any local confirm if what the map is showing is accurate?

I had been under the assumption the entire time that this was not possible.

Here is my link. Click on the tab May-Fall 2012
http://www.iowadot.gov/i380/timeline.html

Fields of brown: Drought conditions shaping up this year

July 15, 2012 3:00 pm • By MATTHEW WILDE, matt.wilde@wcfcourier.com
(0) Comments

WATERLOO, Iowa — There’s a brownout building in Iowa corn and bean fields.

It’s too early to say the Midwest is officially in the midst of a major drought, says Elwynn Taylor. But the Iowa State University Extension climatologist and agronomist said on Wednesday the long overdue weather calamity farmers fear is here...

...The National Weather Service in Des Moines forecasts continued below-normal precipitation and above-normal temperatures statewide for the remainder of the month. Unless a miracle occurs, Taylor expects the next USDA yield forecast will be below 144 bushels per acre.

“It adds up to be a widespread drought,” Taylor said. “Statistically we’re well overdue. We don’t anticipate normal weather.”

The last major drought engulfed the Corn Belt in 1988. One occurs every 19 years, on average, according to 800 years of tree ring data.

Taylor told farmers for years to expect another significant dry spell. In March, he hammered the point home during at seminar at the Hawkeye Farm Show in Cedar Falls, saying “this isn’t time to give up on crop insurance.”

Waterloo is short 5.2 inches of rain since Jan. 1, NWS data indicate. The U.S. Drought Monitor map on Tuesday shows a moderate to severe drought exists in Northeast Iowa, significant change from a week earlier when most of the region was considered abnormally dry.

Ken Eggena of Rural Cedar Falls said 15 percent of his corn, which is on light, sandy ground, is toast. The rest, on heavy, black dirt, which usually produces 200 bushels or more per acre, will be lucky to eke out 140 bushels, Eggena said. And that will only happen if it rains an inch or two in the next two weeks, he added.

http://wcfcourier.com/business/loca...cle_13bad400-ccdf-11e1-abc8-001a4bcf887a.html

I love that Mr. Eggena used the word "eke". Good word, it is. Now, if they can eke out enough evidence for an arrest and conviction...

Good point. I think if an ATV came through there, they'd have left damage that would still be visible now.

Ah, ATV is the first "off road" that comes to mind nowadays. I guess I'm too "country"... what about a horse?

OMG I will never live down those dagnadbbed hogs

:rolleyes:

Now I think its funny! Precious little to celebrate right now so any little thing counts! BRING ON THE HOAGS! SUI SUI SUI - GO HOGS! :great::please: Maybe a team of smart hogs could track the perp! ??? I would be all for that ....

wouldn't it take at least an hour to ride an ATV from Meyer's lake to where the girls were found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eNeMeEe