IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the perp nailed a note to one of the trees? Or a piece of their clothing? Maybe the hunters didn't actually stumble upon the bodies...but rather there was something nailed to a tree that caught their attention?

Oh god...bleh.:sick:I really hope not. That is just sick if that is the case.

A note probably wouldn't have lasted this long on a tree though...but clothing probably would.

It certainly doesn't look like the trees were cut to me, and certainly not recently...but maybe because it snowed and the tops look wet? I don't know...
I am going to guess those trees were cleared for LE or for kindling until I hear otherwise...the cuts don't look fresh enough or clean enough for me to be convinced it was removed as evidence.:banghead:

after viewing the pics I am wondering what gives the photog the idea they are "freshly" cut. They do not appear so to me. But then I am getting older and my eyes aren't what they once were.

By not "freshly" I mean within the week (During crime scene investigation)

Yep. And also, even from the beginning it seems Lyric was the one most people suspected was responsible for the girls taking off for the lake (which IMO they did not do) and for hooking up with random guys on FB.

Thing is, Lyric really wasn't that much older than Lizzie. She was a big girl, and so looked older, but that does not make her a teenager. She was a little girl. :(

I suspect that the sins of the parents are (and have been) being visited upon the head of the daughter. And that makes me sad and angry.

I do not mean to start any trouble but the fact is that the murderer is the person responsible for the girls' death.

Thank you for recognizing that Lyric has seemingly been marginalized her whole life and now in death. :(

I agree with much of what you said. I don't however, feel that the fact that Elizabeth's parents would like to hold a celebration of life for their daughter marginalizes Lyric life at all. I think each girl deserves to be celebrated. I'm sure each of them had their own friends, hobbies, habits etc. My prayer would be that both families have a special time to celebrate the life of the lovely daughter they brought into the world. My prayers are with them.

I still can't get over the absence of warnings and alerts issued to the community...FROM DAY 1!

I guess in a community where 2 children were abducted in broad daylight, hidden for 5 months and murdered, with no reported suspect, one would expect LE to issue statements regarding neighborhood watches, safety and precautionary measures, potential threat for repeat abductions, etc.

It would appear to me that LE does not fear a repeat abduction!

WHY???????

Possibly...suspect is in custody already, suspect specifically targeted these girls and no one else is at risk, family connection?

One possible reason why is they thought the girls were still alive. We all kind of disregarded it, but in hindsight they said so more than once. I want to know what exactly it was that made them think that.

The FBI said it, later down the track someone from LE said it again, and went so far as to ask the public to imagine the girls with different hair colours and cuts.

They didn't warn of a possible murderer because they seem to have genuinely believed the girls were still alive and just being hidden, intentionally.

Reading between the lines and making huge assumptions, it seems from the discovery of the bodies, that this may have been true.

:cow:

Also...the area where the girls were actually found was very closed in and next to big tall trees (on the picture with the sheets)...I don't think this pic is from that area as this appears very open and with not very much ground cover. You could see where LE was standing in the sheet pics they were waist deep in bent over weeds so this isn't from the same area I don't think.

Could have been someone just cutting wood or kindling for the season, or perp used it for covering the girls, which I kind of doubt they went to all that trouble. Doesn't look like they used a saw tho. ??

The photographer missed the flags at half mast in this photo of the police station. This brought tears to my eyes. :(

50c28210c2739.preview-620.jpg

BBM

Maybe it's because it's official that Lyric and Lizzie are gone, but I am having a hard time dealing with my emotions today. Seeing the flags at half staff just breaks my heart.

I keep thinking about what these girls will miss out on, and what we will miss out on not having the girls around. Who knows what they could have accomplished in life, maybe they could have changed the world, or even just their own communities. Heather and Misty are missing out on seeing their girls graduate, marry, have children.

God, I get so angry when I think that someone felt their needs were so much more important that the lives of these two girls.

Could have been someone just cutting wood or kindling for the season, or perp used it for covering the girls, which I kind of doubt they went to all that trouble. Doesn't look like they used a saw tho. ??

I have to agree with someone cutting wood for the season. I'm sure people do this, as the cost of wood can be high.

It says the fresh stumps were seen by hunters last week. Hmmmmmm.

Is there any reason other hunters would have cut them off?

I'm beginning to think the perp may have camped at least overnight with the girls at that 'beach' area. I do think this park may have been where they were killed. The stumps could mean firewood, yes.

Or the trees may have held evidence that the girls were tied or chained to them :( I tie my dogs to trees exactly that size when I'm out in the gardens, so they can be close to me on long leads. They don't rip out because the trees usually have a much thicker top canopy part, so the kind of small diameter of the tree doesn't mean they aren't good to hold a 100 lb dog. They do show lead marks when I'm finished with them being there, btw.

I think they are referring to the hunters discovery of the girls last week and not that the hunters discovered the trees or stumps last week.

One possible reason why is they thought the girls were still alive. We all kind of disregarded it, but in hindsight they said so more than once. I want to know what exactly it was that made them think that.

The FBI said it, later down the track someone from LE said it again, and went so far as to ask the public to imagine the girls with different hair colours and cuts.

They didn't warn of a possible murderer because they seem to have genuinely believed the girls were still alive and just being hidden, intentionally.

Reading between the lines and making huge assumptions, it seems from the discovery of the bodies, that this may have been true.

:cow:

Or they were just horribly wrong. :(

I have to think, they didn't have any evidence to prove otherwise. If this does turn out to be the secondary crime scene, then that is why. Ugh! I really hate this and I wish we had more information. . .even just a crumb.

Maybe the perp nailed a note to one of the trees? Or a piece of their clothing? Maybe the hunters didn't actually stumble upon the bodies...but rather there was something nailed to a tree that caught their attention?

Oh god...bleh.:sick:I really hope not. That is just sick if that is the case.

A note probably wouldn't have lasted this long on a tree though...but clothing probably would.

It certainly doesn't look like the trees were cut to me, and certainly not recently...but maybe because it snowed and the tops look wet? I don't know...
I am going to guess those trees were cleared for LE or for kindling until I hear otherwise...the cuts don't look fresh enough or clean enough for me to be convinced it was removed as evidence.:banghead:

Not that I think your theory is driven by novocaine, at all...:D

A perp nailing messages to trees goes against the laws of KISS, in my view, but I'm right with you on everything else.

Wait, I think my reading comprehension was off:

...Several freshly cut tree stumps surround the area where officials investigated the finding of the bodies of missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, that were discovered by hunters last week, in Seven Bridges Park in Readlyn, Iowa on Monday, Dec. 10, 2012. (DAWN J. SAGERT / The Waterloo Courier)....

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...ion_12862912-cdd5-11e1-a9b3-0019bb2963f4.html

That's the actual quote. Originally, I took it to mean that the stumps were there last week before the cops arrived, but I think I just read it poorly.

I'm still wondering why the bodies were so darned close to that beach instead of being closer to where you'd have to enter the area. Surely they'd be hidden well before getting to the spots chosen?

I do think something is up with that, and it may be because the perp wanted to spend time in a nicer spot (the beach). I know that sounds hideous, but perps have all kinds of hideous fantasies for how to make the awful crime pleasurable for themselves :(

A girls size 4 is the same as a woman's size 6. I have an 11yr old daughter. Sometimes I buy her women's size small for slippers, flip flops, etc instead of the girl's x-tra large, because they are easier to find.

According to the early descriptions, these are the flip flops Lyric was last seen in. . .

MuppetFLIPflopsMENS.jpg

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/07/16/missing-iowa-cousins-vanish-while-riding-bikes

I don't think we can make generalities based on our experiences about shoe sizes. I am 53 years old and wear a girls size 3 1/2 shoe and, occasionally, a size 4 is not too big. No adult women's size shoe has ever fit my foot. They are all too big. Size 5s fall off my feet. I teach school. It is not uncommon for even upper primary age girls to wear adult size shoes. I have spent my entire adult years searching for shoes to wear that don't look childish.

and pic one states "A pile of removed brush remains at the scene where officials investigated the finding of the bodies of missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, that were discovered by hunters last week, in Seven Bridges Park in Readlyn, Iowa on Monday, Dec. 10, 2012."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...ion_12862912-cdd5-11e1-a9b3-0019bb2963f4.html

Which would tend to suggest the brush did need to be removed as some part of the LEO forensics investigation or for ease of access.

I don't think we can make generalities based on our experiences about shoe sizes. I am 53 years old and wear a girls size 3 1/2 shoe and, occasionally, a size 4 is not too big. No adult women's size shoe has ever fit my foot. They are all too big. Size 5s fall off my feet. I teach school. It is not uncommon for even upper primary age girls to wear adult size shoes. I have spent my entire adult years searching for shoes to wear that don't look childish.

Totally agree.

My ex husbands feet were huge, but everything else about him was small.

:p

It says the fresh stumps were seen by hunters last week. Hmmmmmm.

Is there any reason other hunters would have cut them off?

I'm beginning to think the perp may have camped at least overnight with the girls at that 'beach' area. I do think this park may have been where they were killed. The stumps could mean firewood, yes.

Or the trees may have held evidence that the girls were tied or chained to them :( I tie my dogs to trees exactly that size when I'm out in the gardens, so they can be close to me on long leads. They don't rip out because the trees usually have a much thicker top canopy part, so the kind of small diameter of the tree doesn't mean they aren't good to hold a 100 lb dog. They do show lead marks when I'm finished with them being there, btw.

Where does it say the stumps were seen by hunters last week? It says

Several freshly cut tree stumps surround the area where officials investigated the finding of the bodies of missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, that were discovered by hunters last week...

I take that to mean the girls were discovered by the hunters last week. Not the stumps were seen.

Someone posted up-thread that Grandma Cook stated that Lyric wore a woman's size 9. Those flip flops came from Walmart, and as far as I could find, only came in men's sizes. Now if the flip flop found was one of these? Who knows. I just had always thought the girls were taken in that direction because of the reported flip flop. . .and they were found in that direction. . .so it makes me wonder.

I still can't get over the absence of warnings and alerts issued to the community...FROM DAY 1!

I guess in a community where 2 children were abducted in broad daylight, hidden for 5 months and murdered, with no reported suspect, one would expect LE to issue statements regarding neighborhood watches, safety and precautionary measures, potential threat for repeat abductions, etc.

It would appear to me that LE does not fear a repeat abduction!

WHY???????

Possibly...suspect is in custody already, suspect specifically targeted these girls and no one else is at risk, family connection?

He was asked by the media the first week about safety precautions for the public and he replyed to stay vigilant....as you always should.
You can talk about the precautions to your kids till your blue in the face, but they're kids, and forget ...heck I found myself with my guard down a few times and gave myself a good talking to. ie: ("You idiot") lol

It's really is sad and a shame that we can't be that helping and nice person we all want to be at times; and I'm furious I can no longer go walking or "wogging" on the trails any longer and have to breath the fumes of urbana along with it's noises. No longer enjoy the smell of honeysuckle, the fresh dampness or the chirping of birds amist the silence of the woods. :furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz