IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know that this was not done. We do know that the dog tracking was not covered by any news photographers because there weren't any pictures of it; that may well indicate that LE managed to evade the media that morning.

As to searching an entire town randomly, I can see a few problems with it. For one thing, dogs are animals and not machines. Casting for scent is hard work and, particularly in hot humid weather conditions, can cause a tracking dog to overheat. General practice is to take the dog or dogs to the victim's last known location and start from there so that the dog doesn't have to cover any unnecessary ground.

Another problem is that gas vehicles and their exhaust are known for dulling a scent dog's sense of smell. That's why handlers get to a location and then take 15-30 minutes to walk the dog around (carefully avoiding any possible areas of scent) before starting. I don't know of any reputable dog handler who will claim that their dog(s) are 100% reliable on tracking a victim that has been transported by vehicle. There are some flimflam artists out there that make such claims but let's ignore them.

Finally, I think what would have happened had this been done is that the dogs would have given mild alerts all over town. Anywhere the girls went in the previous week or so would have been alerted on. The problem with that is that it wasn't a question of whether the girls had ever been there. The problem was: where were the girls after their last known position?

Would it even be possible for dogs to track the girls if they were on their bikes? Without them having physically touched anything?

Just can't wait to get that maybe 10"+ of snow... then the wind/blizzard, lol. Of course Mr. Intelligent waited until last night to fire up (or rather try to fire up) the snow blower. Obviously it balked... weak/intermittent spark. So, off to the dealer it went today and we'll see if I luck out somehow that they'd have the ignition part in stock... and if so will they call me back today before it dumps on us. Oh well... such is life in Iowa. The wife said she wanted a white Christmas and figured it'd not happen. I told her to be careful what she wished for and to look at the mess we'll have!

Well...not really answering your question, but more of a comment. What HAS Abben answered? :waitasec:
Everything he was asked was answered with "I can't answer that", or "I am not aware of that"...so as far as I'm concerned his pressers were worthless. He gave us zero information or answers as far as I'm concerned. They ARE keeping this very close to the vest, which is why I think they haven't made an arrest. They keep asking the public for help (or did along the way until the bodies were discovered) but kept beating a dead horse. The people who had answers already had come forward...the rest who HAVE the answers aren't talking.

I think this is why I'm so frustrated. I was glued to the Jessica Ridgeway investigation and LE made no qualms about going after their perp publically and used the community to get their guy...and pretty darn fast. Granted, they did get the lucky cross dropped...but still, even before that, they were vigilant about the investigation and updated regularly with info.

Not here in Iowa...they are tight lipped. And that is fair, IF you have your guy and are going to make an arrest. Sadly enough, I think they are counting on those bodies to have DNA on them of an already convicted perp...otherwise they are back to square one. Just my opionion.

Cinder...as far as your question, I think the reason Abben didn't answer is because his sighting doesn't fit into what they THOUGHT happened to the girls. But him not acknowledging TG doesn't mean anything to me when he denied everything else right along with TG's statements.:banghead:

As much as I crave more information, I would much rather this be the scenario than everyone running around spewing "facts" that weren't "facts" like they did last week in Newtown. That has to be a huge lesson learned in what NOT to do. So many things were later found to be untrue, like the guys NAME for one, and that the mother was a teacher at the school. But listening to the ACTUAL press conference from ACTUAL law enforcement, he did not confirm any information that was later deemed false. At first, they had reported that the brother was dead, in another town, but he wouldn't confirm any of that, just that there was a secondary crime scene. Nor the name of the attacker. Even yesterday, Wolf Blitzer talked with a local law enforcement official who was the official spokesperson, and he said that he did not know that the computer the perp had was damaged,and that they were unable to get any info from it, and that any information on that would have come from him. And then later in the day, a reporter on CNN stated to Wolf that the computer was damaged and they couldn't get info from it. Well, I would have thought Wolf would have said "according to so and so, that's not true".... but he didn't.

So, in the case of our girls, as much as I want to know more details, I would hate for anything not concrete to be said that sends people in a tizzy, possibly turning their attention somewhere where it shouldn't be. IF they have a perp in mind, the last thing they want to do is tip off the public that they have their suspicions about this person, because an old fashioned lynch mob would likely ensue.

Thanks, I'll have to read the rules closely as I only skimmed over them. This whole ordeal is almost surreal to us. It's hard to see what Drew, Heather, and the kids (along with other family members and friends) have had to endure over these last five months. I've come to know Drew and his family over the last years after first meeting him when we needed a tree taken down. I was impressed at the quality of work he and his crew did. Then by a chance we both share a love for the same sport and ran into each other one night and have become friends since that time. I'd just be happy if they are able to find and convict whomever is responsible and have justice served. When you see things like this in the media you always say "wow, that's so sad" or something along those lines. We had it happen right here in our own metro area and it's devastating. On a brighter note it's been heartwarming to see how many people have rallied to support the families of both girls. In a way it doesn't surprise me... that's how we are here in Iowa.

I didn't realize until just the other day that we had used Drew's company to trim our trees a few years ago. We did the transaction over the phone - I never met him, but had a nice experience anyway. We had asked them to trim the tree, but then I called him - while they were working - and asked him not to cut off a particular branch, as it would make the perfect branch for a swing. So, they spared it.

Also, although I don't know the family personally, I know someone who is good friends with the family. She shared with me how much of a remarkable recovery Heather has made since her cardiac arrest. I definitely will be thinking about them the next couple of days. I hope everything goes well for them, as they've dealt with so much. I am friends on FB with her (she probably never turns down a friend request), because I find her posts inspirational. I am a "local", and she and their whole family has definitely had an impact on our entire community.

Just can't wait to get that maybe 10"+ of snow... then the wind/blizzard, lol. Of course Mr. Intelligent waited until last night to fire up (or rather try to fire up) the snow blower. Obviously it balked... weak/intermittent spark. So, off to the dealer it went today and we'll see if I luck out somehow that they'd have the ignition part in stock... and if so will they call me back today before it dumps on us. Oh well... such is life in Iowa. The wife said she wanted a white Christmas and figured it'd not happen. I told her to be careful what she wished for and to look at the mess we'll have!

My husband did the same thing - fired it up last night to make sure it works!!! Thankfully it did ! Now we are apparently making up for the lack of snowfall last year! That's ok - as long as I'm safe in my own house (which will be shortly), then it can snow 10 feet for all I care!

Now, if we only had a fireplace, life would be perfect...

The only upside is it's still under warranty for a year... like that's some consolation if they can't get it done yet today, argh. I'd imagine Drew and Heather will hit the road yet today to escape being caught in the storm. Now off to fix the flame sensor/thermocouple in the furnace that acts up each year until it's cleaned with a Scotchbrite pad. Not sure I want to see what fiasco the guys in my department have left for me after taking off this afternoon!

I found one more. Strip mall parking lot in front of downtown vacant businesses, view facing S.
Evans Rd.

I haven't heard one word directly from Mr G's mouth...he may have spoken on camera somewhere but I haven't seen it.

All I have heard is msm saying "LE have sightings" around the appropriate time, and fb rumours.

I believe Mr G, just like Mr & Mrs C, has been instructed by LE to be deliberately vague about the timing of what he saw.

I don't think the man he's wrong, or mistaken at all, and he's probably horrified that people think he walks around through life that confused.

:cow:

BBM

The sightings were reported to the public by Abben.

If there was a sighting on Brovan at 12:23, how can TG's 12:20 sighting be accurate?

I really doubt LE would have mentioned sightings at 12:23 and at 12:30-1:00 unless they felt these sightings were credible, IMO. LE has been so close-mouthed with info on this case that when they DO say something, I believe it is important.

ETA: Here is the exact quote from Abben about the sightings:

“Today marks two months since the disappearance of 11-year-old Lyric Cook and 9-year-old Elizabeth Collins,” Rick Abben, chief deputy at the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office, said in a statement Thursday. “Both girls were last seen on July 13 at 12:15 p.m. riding their bicycles away from the Collins residence in Evansdale. We have information that the girls were seen approximately 12:23 p.m. on Brovan Blvd. and between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert DR. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-missing-2-months-authorities-plead-for-help/

BBM

The sightings were reported to the public by Abben.

If there was a sighting on Brovan at 12:23, how can TG's 12:20 sighting be accurate?

I really doubt LE would have mentioned sightings at 12:23 and at 12:30-1:00 unless they felt these sightings were credible, IMO. LE has been so close-mouthed with info on this case that when they DO say something, I believe it is important.

ETA: Here is the exact quote from Abben about the sightings:

“Today marks two months since the disappearance of 11-year-old Lyric Cook and 9-year-old Elizabeth Collins,” Rick Abben, chief deputy at the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office, said in a statement Thursday. “Both girls were last seen on July 13 at 12:15 p.m. riding their bicycles away from the Collins residence in Evansdale. We have information that the girls were seen approximately 12:23 p.m. on Brovan Blvd. and between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert DR. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-missing-2-months-authorities-plead-for-help/

First of all, Mr G's sighting was only ever reported as "around 12.20".

Secondly, no where does Abben (or anyone really) confirm this time in relation to the sighting of the bikes.

Thirdly, I have watched the other witnesses on youtube(whos timing fits perfectly with Mr G's) and I believe they have been told to be vague probably by LE. Mr C goes to say something definite about time and Mrs C jumps in and gives the 12-1 timeframe.

Finally, we never did have confirmation that the bikes Mr G swerved around, belonged to the girls.

Of course, all opinion only.

Secondly, no where does Abben (or anyone really) confirm this time in relation to the sighting of the bikes.

Thirdly, I have watched the other witnesses on youtube(whos timing fits perfectly with Mr G's) and I believe they have been told to be vague probably by LE. Mr C goes to say something definite about time and Mrs C jumps in and gives the 12-1 timeframe.

Finally, we never did have confirmation that the bikes Mr G swerved around, belonged to the girls.

Can you post a link to the witness accounts on youtube?

Just MOO, but I really don't think LE would advise anyone to be vague about anything.

2012-12-19 13.21.30.jpg Looking forward at s evans rd to the right is vacant business. And left is convenience store

Sitting here watching the snow storm coming in. I like snow, but worry about all the stray kitties. That's just me.

The above is for those who haven't seen it. The picture I took from where the bikes were found, thru the gate looking towards maiden lane. purse was found here also.

Sitting here watching the snow storm coming in. I like snow, but worry about all the stray kitties. That's just me.

I know...me too. :( I saw a cat running across the road tonight and it instantly made me think the same thing...poor kitties and dogs who are left outside to fend for themselves in the bitter cold.

The above is for those who haven't seen it. The picture I took from where the bikes were found, thru the gate looking towards maiden lane. purse was found here also.

Going back to earlier thoughts with your pic...the gate was open (which is not apparently normal) shouldn't there have been foot prints of the girls on the sandy area? Was this taken during the draining of the lake? It looks like a much bigger sand area than I'm used to seeing at the lake.

If this was before the draining of the lake there still should have been foot prints of where the girls were, unless they stayed right there on the rock entrance by the drain pipe.

If the gates were unlocked, why? Did someone leave them unlocked or was that normal for it to be open to access the lake from the far side?

I've heard several people comment "well, I'd better go buy a shovel"... Uh, why don't you have a shovel?? You live in Iowa for cryin' out loud! Yes, the first snowfall is always interesting. The scanner will be popping, I'm sure. But then again, we have been the recipient of false "big storm" claims before, so let's see if this actually materializes.

BBM - Well, let's see:

#1 - You have recently relocated to IA
#2 - You have recently "flown the family nest" & set up a new household sans snow shovel
#3 - Your neighbor/in-law borrowed your shovel and never returned it ):
#4 - Etc.
Just sayin..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics