IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also like to know who the 3 others were that were with him. Where are they from?

me too palamindodee, me too! Slippery kind of fellow too. Just slipped out the back door "as officers investigated."

Found out some interesting info in my research. I might need some help with this. The bike trail has a bridge that was under construction in July, so there is no way a cyclist could ride the distance from point A to point B without crossing that bridge. But they couldn't because the bridge was out.

The bridge at Evansdale was being used in June 2012 although it wasn't officially opened until sometime in July of 2012. I remember reading about it. I'll find a link.

Found out some interesting info in my research. I might need some help with this. The bike trail has a bridge that was under construction in July, so there is no way a cyclist could ride the distance from point A to point B without crossing that bridge. But they couldn't because the bridge was out.

The bridge at Evansdale was being used in June 2012 although it wasn't officially opened until sometime in July of 2012. I remember reading about it. I'll find a link.

Actually, it was in 2011.

From the WCF Courier, July 24, 2011:

Demolition of the Evansdale bridge by Peterson Contractors Inc. of Reinbeck started last summer. The new span was completed last month. The public has used it since then without permission, taking down or going around barricades, officials said.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...cle_49c494e6-b5ac-11e0-b50f-001cc4c002e0.html

Yep. It was definitely open this last summer. We've used it a lot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Yep. It was definitely open this last summer. We've used it a lot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

How long do you think it would take to cycle from the Gilbertville Station (I think that's what it's called) to Meyers Lake?

So both bridges were open then in 2012? I thought the article states that the McFarland bridge was NOT open. I haven't ridden the trail, so I don't know which bridge/bridges would be used to bike the route given the route the cyclist took. Makes me wonder how far the workers (if any) would have been from the lake (possibly taking a break) or would have been able to watch the girls at the lake.:waitasec:

I'm not familiar with which bridge the cyclist would have used from Gilbertville to the lake so any help understanding the bridges/route would be appreciated.

I see from Otto's map where it appears the cyclist rode, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know where the bridges are on the map.

Thanks!

So both bridges were open then in 2012? I thought the article states that the McFarland bridge was NOT open. I haven't ridden the trail, so I don't know which bridge/bridges would be used to bike the route given the route the cyclist took. Makes me wonder how far the workers (if any) would have been from the lake (possibly taking a break) or would have been able to watch the girls at the lake.:waitasec:

I'm not familiar with which bridge the cyclist would have used from Gilbertville to the lake so any help understanding the bridges/route would be appreciated.

I see from Otto's map where it appears the cyclist rode, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know where the bridges are on the map.

Thanks!

^^^^^^^I want to know also.

How long do you think it would take to cycle from the Gilbertville Station (I think that's what it's called) to Meyers Lake?

Google maps, punched in bicyling, says 5.9 miles, 29 minutes. Suggested route Cedar Valley Nature Trail.

O M G ! ! !... And:woohoo:

Btw, not to be snarky, but I believe the article actually said ledgers. I wonder which one LE "threw at him?!" :floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh: You are correct. It is ledgers! I wondered about that. Can the state use the ledgers to up the amount he is going to be fined or can they only fine him for how many grams (?) he had on him at the time he was caught? :great: He should have bought a tax stamp, IMO. :moo:

Thanks!

It is essentially where the Evansdale trail and the Cedar ValleybTail meet around Arbutus and 6th St.....going south to G'ville. You have to cross the bridge to continue on the trail under I-380 along River Rd.

Original bridge was built in 1912 and had to be replaced due to the 2008 flood. Info on page 29...and pics available on this PDF file. Originally big railroad bridge. See page 44 too.

The “Elk Run” bridge was the bridge that carried the WCF&N over the Cedar River near the confluence
of Elk Run Creek and the river. Today, this location is within the suburban town of Evansdale, with the
bridge referred to in more recent years as the “Evansdale Bridge.” That bridge was a concrete “Melan
arch” bridge built in 1912 and was also badly damaged in the 2008 flood. It was recently replaced as part
of the overall Cedar Valley Nature Trail reconstruction project (see Nagel and Rogers 2009). That bridge
was also built by the Gould Construction Co., with the contract let for that structure in May 1912. The

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Waterloo Reporter [/FONT][/FONT](May 17, 1912) noted the following

http://www.co.black-hawk.ia.us/conservation/Publications/McFarlaneBridgeDocumentationFinalReport.pdf

Remember the vacant house for sale across the lake where the bikes were found? I have been thinking that maybe the perp either made an appointment or called about that house just to make sure it was vacant. It just seems like it would of been a huge risk on the perps part to abduct the girls where the bikes were found because of that house. If anyone was at that house looking out the south windows on friday July 13th, they would have to of seen something suspicious. So...I think the perp knew that place was vacant. I wish I could call the broker and ask who called or made an appointment to see that house around that time.

Old link - Going down memory lane... I simply have no words...

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale_search/43c9b688-1aa1-11e2-9abd-0019bb2963f4.html

ETA: <snipped> listening to a Los Angeles police detective sergeant talk about the connection between drug use and missing children.

&#8220;This is ground zero for what&#8217;s going on,&#8221; Drew said, explaining why he, Heather and other members of their family made the trip to Des Moines to talk about their tragedy at the Preventing Abuse conference put on by the California-based Cedars Cultural and Educational Foundation. &#8220;A lot of people need to hear what&#8217;s being said here.&#8221;

Two days ago, authorities began another canvass of the area where Elizabeth and Cook-Morrissey were last seen on July 13 during a bike ride in Evansdale. Heather said she believes her daughter and niece are alive.

The conference itself was a mix of the stuff of parental nightmares &#8212; child abduction, sex slavery and drug abuse &#8212; and evangelicalism.
<snipped>

OT: for those following Dylan Redwine missing in CO, I just saw the preview, the parents will be on Dr Phil on Tuesday, looks quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Devon_SP