IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some errands to run in Waterloo one day in January. I had a babysitter for once and I was alone. I decided to stop in Evansdale and check out Maiden Ln. I read these threads daily. I drive by the lake near daily. Before this case I didn't even know Maiden Ln existed. I needed to see it.

I was under the false assumption that all the of the houses around the lake were fairly expensive homes. As I previously stated, I have a friend that lives on the lake. Her home is very nice. I'd never ventured beyond her street before. I am not very familiar with the city of Evansdale. I'm not originally from this area and I usually just drive by Evansdale on 20 without giving it any thought. I was surprised to discover that the houses around Maiden Ln are not nearly as nice. They are very small and many aren't in the best shape. It seems like the crime statistics could change rapidly over a matter of just a few streets. That said, the police station is so close to the area. I was shocked to discover the police station was so close. This perp either thinks himself invincible or simply doesn't care if he is caught. Could this be a meth-head? Could he have gotten this far strictly on chance?

I also checked out the lake parking lot. I had never actually driven into it before. It was a weekday in January. It was bitterly cold. It was between 10am and 11am. There aren't any businesses nearby - just houses. Yet, there were two cars sitting there running. Each had one man in them. One man was watching me like a hawk. The other man was reading and smoking and didn't look up. What were they doing there? It was like they were killing time on a break from work or something. Everything from surveillance to possible perps has run through my mind. Is this a place where people commonly meet up to carpool? Is there a larger business close enough nearby that employees might seek the park out as a spot to sit during a break? My whole point is that, if there were guys randomly sitting in cars on this day in January, who might have been randomly sitting in a car on that day in July?

Hopefully they left some DNA cells on the cloths then.

Or if the perp handled Lizzy's purse, and maybe they got touch DNA from that. They just need to find the right sample to match it too.

I like Otto's idea of maybe we should start looking at other types of people who may be involved in this.

One thought that comes to mind is, maybe the reason LE isn't releasing any info to the public and/or asking for public's help is because someone has been arrested in another state and is currently being held in jail there and Iowa is making sure they have a case built (by gathering everything possible and getting their ducks in a row) and then also filing charges on the person in the near future?

Is there anyone from the area that has been arrested for a similar type crime in another state and is still currently jailed in another state? Or someone that's not even from the area but is jailed in another state for committing a similar type crime(s)?

Just some thoughts and maybe I'm crazy for even thinking this way....
I don't really know for sure what I think anymore :waitasec:

you mean a situation like this one, for instance:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/se...cle_502d7e4d-c4e1-51e6-89d4-a7f53cc37964.html

Authorities said Keith William McKay, 31, didn't update his registry information in Black Hawk County over the summer then left for Texas. There, he was indicted on federal charges of failing to register, and on Feb. 7, he was sentenced to two years and nine months in prison to be followed by 15 years of supervised release.

Not saying this is related to this case. Simply using him as an example of someone who was likely in the area during the girls abductions, left sometime after during the summer, and then was incarcerated in Texas, where he remains.

I had some errands to run in Waterloo one day in January. I had a babysitter for once and I was alone. I decided to stop in Evansdale and check out Maiden Ln. I read these threads daily. I drive by the lake near daily. Before this case I didn't even know Maiden Ln existed. I needed to see it.

I was under the false assumption that all the of the houses around the lake were fairly expensive homes. As I previously stated, I have a friend that lives on the lake. Her home is very nice. I'd never ventured beyond her street before. I am not very familiar with the city of Evansdale. I'm not originally from this area and I usually just drive by Evansdale on 20 without giving it any thought. I was surprised to discover that the houses around Maiden Ln are not nearly as nice. They are very small and many aren't in the best shape. It seems like the crime statistics could change rapidly over a matter of just a few streets. That said, the police station is so close to the area. I was shocked to discover the police station was so close. This perp either thinks himself invincible or simply doesn't care if he is caught. Could this be a meth-head? Could he have gotten this far strictly on chance?

I also checked out the lake parking lot. I had never actually driven into it before. It was a weekday in January. It was bitterly cold. It was between 10am and 11am. There aren't any businesses nearby - just houses. Yet, there were two cars sitting there running. Each had one man in them. One man was watching me like a hawk. The other man was reading and smoking and didn't look up. What were they doing there? It was like they were killing time on a break from work or something. Everything from surveillance to possible perps has run through my mind. Is this a place where people commonly meet up to carpool? Is there a larger business close enough nearby that employees might seek the park out as a spot to sit during a break? My whole point is that, if there were guys randomly sitting in cars on this day in January, who might have been randomly sitting in a car on that day in July?

In our town the parks are sadly known for areas of drug dealing and also "hoodlum activity" which is simply loitering...especially parks where there isn't a lot of traffic coming through.

Even in the bustle of summer there are always cars just "sitting" as you witnessed. And I too find it's typically males...actually YOUNGER male (teens) /early to mid 20's is who I see.

I've never seen a girl or even a grown woman just sitting in the car at the park alone. They typically exit the vehicle (in the cases I've seen) and are on a bench, talking on their cell, or reading a book.

But our town has had to up patrol big time in the evening hours of summer because the parks is where tons of drug hand offs were happening...right in the parking lot. Now, COPS drive through there so often (in the summer anyway) that the kids had stopped going there. I'm sure it goes on still...just not as much.

I always make sure the people who are just sitting in their car KNOW that I've seen them. Some will leave right away which makes me suspicious.

And I feel bad! I do! I don't want anyone to feel like they can't go to the park and just hang out...but if they aren't doing anything wrong they'd have no reason to bail...other than the fact that I clearly made them uncomfortable. :( This case has just got me on edge about parks.

:Welcome1:

Very good questions! Maybe the one checking you out was another Websleuther. :floorlaugh:

Actually, I think it is very common for someone that has extra time between meetings/appointments to stop at a park and relax for a little bit. My DH does on-site computer repairs and often has time to waste.

The question becomes, did someone that day take an extra long lunch hour, maybe miss an afternoon appointment or repair job?

For instance, I was looking at the website of an Evansdale business the other day that is currently for sale, including several vehicles (pick-up truck, cargo vans). So would a business like that have someone doing pick up & deliveries? Would anyone notice if their delivery guy had a couple of unaccounted for hours that day? And how many businesses are there in Waterloo/Evansdale that had folks out doing repairs/deliveries/etc.?

Very good questions! Maybe the one checking you out was another Websleuther. :floorlaugh:

Actually, I think it is very common for someone that has extra time between meetings/appointments to stop at a park and relax for a little bit. My DH does on-site computer repairs and often has time to waste.

The question becomes, did someone that day take an extra long lunch hour, maybe miss an afternoon appointment or repair job?

For instance, I was looking at the website of an Evansdale business the other day that is currently for sale, including several vehicles (pick-up truck, cargo vans). So would a business like that have someone doing pick up & deliveries? Would anyone notice if their delivery guy had a couple of unaccounted for hours that day? And how many businesses are there in Waterloo/Evansdale that had folks out doing repairs/deliveries/etc.?

BBM

And how many of these businesses had deliveries or workmen in the area of 7 Bridges? If one person had business in both places, it would fit in to my theory (and that of a lot of us) that the perp is local. JMO

:goodpost:

Thank you for this info. Especially the part bolded by me.

In our town the parks are sadly known for areas of drug dealing and also "hoodlum activity" which is simply loitering...especially parks where there isn't a lot of traffic coming through.

Even in the bustle of summer there are always cars just "sitting" as you witnessed. And I too find it's typically males...actually YOUNGER male (teens) /early to mid 20's is who I see.

I've never seen a girl or even a grown woman just sitting in the car at the park alone. They typically exit the vehicle (in the cases I've seen) and are on a bench, talking on their cell, or reading a book.

But our town has had to up patrol big time in the evening hours of summer because the parks is where tons of drug hand offs were happening...right in the parking lot. Now, COPS drive through there so often (in the summer anyway) that the kids had stopped going there. I'm sure it goes on still...just not as much.

I always make sure the people who are just sitting in their car KNOW that I've seen them. Some will leave right away which makes me suspicious.

And I feel bad! I do! I don't want anyone to feel like they can't go to the park and just hang out...but if they aren't doing anything wrong they'd have no reason to bail...other than the fact that I clearly made them uncomfortable. :( This case has just got me on edge about parks.

Gee, I have sat in my car in parks, many many times on break eating my lunch or reading. I hope nobody thought I was a drug dealer or perp.

Welcome to the group. I just want to add my few cents to your comment and by no way am I being snarky. Perps come in all forms and from different backgrounds from rich to poor, black to white, druggy to non-drug user. So I don't think a nice house versus a kinda runned down house means anything. JMO

Lat summer when I visited Meyers lake, I saw a woman sitting alone in her vehicle. It's a nice place to sit and relax.

I have been reading articles and watching videos from early in the investigation, back in July. LE keeps saying a jogger saw the bikes at the lake, yet deny the man on a bike seeing the bikes. I really think they are getting these two mixed up.

Oh ok sorry :) I read the heading the Lyric's name written and though it was about Evansdale, thanks.

I have been reading articles and watching videos from early in the investigation, back in July. LE keeps saying a jogger saw the bikes at the lake, yet deny the man on a bike seeing the bikes. I really think they are getting these two mixed up.

Why do you think that investigators would confirm that a jogger saw the bikes at the gate at 2:00 PM, yet really mean that a cyclist saw the bikes at 12:20 on the trail? All of the facts are different. The jogger has not come forward and talked with media, but I don't think we should assume that the jogger doesn't exist.

Given the police timeline, how could the bikes be on the trail and the girls somewhere else at 12:20?

12:15 - Children at Brovan near Elizabeth's house (video)
12:30 - information that children at Brovan (probably a tip)
12:30-1:00 - information that children at Elmer/Gilbert/Arbutus (Elmer/Gilbert is entrance to Meyers Lake parking lot, Arbutus leads to Maiden Lane)
2:00 - bikes at gate per jogger (tip)
3:40 - bikes at gate per volunteer firefighter search
3:58 - bikes confirmed at gate per investigators

12:28 - cyclist at Meyers Lake parking lot per cell phone (Elmer/Gilbert)
12:30-1:00 ish - cyclist at Elmer/Gilbert heading East on Gilbert and then North on Evansdale Nature Trail to Lafayette
1:00-1:30 ish - cyclist on East end of Meyers Lake heading South across pedestrian bridge

This map shows the bike trails in the area, in red, and the route taken by the cyclist, in green. I understand that cycling from the Gilbertville Station to the lake would take about 30 minutes, so the entire trip would take about 1.5 hours.

biketrail.jpg

They were both younger. I thought about drugs too. I've thought about a Craigslist meet-up. I've often met up with strangers in parking lots to sell or buy items from Craiglist. I've always done it in busy lots though - lots that would have cameras, like Walmart.

Haha! I thought about another Websleuther too! I do wonder if the area is under surveillance though. I know some perps like to revisit the scene of their crimes. Maybe LE has reason to believe the person who did this likes to relive it.

Gee, I have sat in my car in parks, many many times on break eating my lunch or reading. I hope nobody thought I was a drug dealer or perp.

I too have sat in many parks and store parking lots with my car running. I used to be a home health aid with large gaps in my schedule. I would go park and take naps sometimes. I know that people do that for reasons that are totally innocent and harmless. What I wonder is if a less than harmless someone was doing just that when a crime of opportunity presented itself. I was surprised to see these men in their cars because of the location of the park. The area is residential. You have to drive to the end of a residential street to enter the parking lot. There are other parks that are accessible from the main drag where all the businesses are. Why drive back to the lake park? Maybe because you like the lake. That makes sense. It was so bitterly cold that day though and it's overall ugly this time of year. Why venture off the beaten path? Why not just park your car somewhere off the main drag? I'm trying to say, from the mind of someone who's done a great deal of sitting in parking lots with running cars, that I would not have picked that spot. I'm not saying that someone else wouldn't, I'm just curious about their reasons.

Welcome to the group. I just want to add my few cents to your comment and by no way am I being snarky. Perps come in all forms and from different backgrounds from rich to poor, black to white, druggy to non-drug user. So I don't think a nice house versus a kinda runned down house means anything. JMO

I do know and acknowledge that perps come from all walks of life. I have a degree in social work from UNI. I have a handful of experience in the field. I've worked with kids who have been abused. It happens everywhere. I do think the neighborhood around Maiden Ln is relevant though. Rarely have I seen meth houses in the news that looked like the ones that line the lake. Meth houses tend to look much more like the houses around Maiden Ln and to the East of there. No one can dismiss the connection that meth has to this case. Even if Lyric's parents have no real ties to this killer, he could still have been under the influence of meth. A significant portion of the crimes that happen in our neck of the woods are committed by people on meth.

as to the nice houses in close proximaity to the more run down (not nice) houses:

I think the point I took from ashley's post about the differences in the homes in teh area is a good one and the crime rate, if looked at in that sort of small microcosm, would probably reflect the difference. The area of the neighborhood which appears more run down and less kept is more likely populated by people of less means, less means can often mean rental rather than ownership. Which in turn would suggest more transient population.

I got what was being said and I agree. In areas that are more financially depressed, IMO, crime rate is higher, residents tend to keep to themselves more and tend to come and go with more frequency. All possibly pertinent if Maiden Lane was somehow used in the carrying out of this abduction (as I and others have suspected).

Do you sit in your vehicle in a hat with the bill cocked over to the side, with the drivers side seat leaned so far back you can't see it, leaning against the console in the middle so juuuuusssttt your eyes peer out over the top of the steering wheel...all while wearing a white tank top with cigarette holes and smoke billowing out the windows of your car?

Because I'm gonna give you the stink eye if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy