Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashleyd8402 -

If you don't mind sharing (if not, it's ok, I'm just being nosy :floorlaugh:):

I'm just curious if your friend who lives by the lake has told you about any rumors/ info about the abduction she's heard around town?

I am honestly very surprised by the lack of chatter in the town. I live in a small town and if this happened here, every Tom, Dick, and Harry would have the mouths in the wind telling everything they've heard.

I know some are trying to protect the family but there is always people in town who chatter like a squirrel about everything, to make them look important and in the know.

Did your friends house get searched or did LE come to her house to ask about the girls? The reason I ask is that other people who posted wayyyy back in the early days who were locals did NOT get searched or even asked and they live very close to the lake too.

Just curious what (if anything) your friend has heard regarding that day. :(

I had some errands to run in Waterloo one day in January. I had a babysitter for once and I was alone. I decided to stop in Evansdale and check out Maiden Ln. I read these threads daily. I drive by the lake near daily. Before this case I didn't even know Maiden Ln existed. I needed to see it.

<snipped for space>

I also checked out the lake parking lot. I had never actually driven into it before. It was a weekday in January. It was bitterly cold. It was between 10am and 11am. There aren't any businesses nearby - just houses. Yet, there were two cars sitting there running. Each had one man in them. One man was watching me like a hawk. The other man was reading and smoking and didn't look up. What were they doing there? It was like they were killing time on a break from work or something. Everything from surveillance to possible perps has run through my mind. Is this a place where people commonly meet up to carpool? Is there a larger business close enough nearby that employees might seek the park out as a spot to sit during a break? My whole point is that, if there were guys randomly sitting in cars on this day in January, who might have been randomly sitting in a car on that day in July?

Thank you so much for the detailed first hand description of the area! Sounds like Evansdale is like so many areas where all it takes is a street or two to go from nice neighborhood to "yikes."

The part BBM - this is exactly why my husband doesn't eat his lunch at the very nice park near his work during the week. He has a few various places he goes, mostly busy strip mall type parking lots, or a "park 'n' ride" place (carpool meeting spot). It's probably smart, but it makes me sad on both sides - that parents have to be so concerned about their kids safely enjoying a day at the park, and that my husband has to be so concerned about being a male alone in his car at a park and being mistaken for something/someone he's not.

I do think it's a great question who might've been hanging around in the parking lot that day. Even if they're not a potential suspect, maybe they saw something or heard something and didn't even realize it was connected at the time? It's been so long now it'd be hard to go back that far on memory, but I keep hoping maybe someone did see/hear something and called in a tip that just hasn't been released to the public? We can hope.

They were both younger. I thought about drugs too. I've thought about a Craigslist meet-up. I've often met up with strangers in parking lots to sell or buy items from Craiglist. I've always done it in busy lots though - lots that would have cameras, like Walmart.

Haha! I thought about another Websleuther too! I do wonder if the area is under surveillance though. I know some perps like to revisit the scene of their crimes. Maybe LE has reason to believe the person who did this likes to relive it.

I too have sat in many parks and store parking lots with my car running. I used to be a home health aid with large gaps in my schedule. I would go park and take naps sometimes. I know that people do that for reasons that are totally innocent and harmless. What I wonder is if a less than harmless someone was doing just that when a crime of opportunity presented itself. I was surprised to see these men in their cars because of the location of the park. The area is residential. You have to drive to the end of a residential street to enter the parking lot. There are other parks that are accessible from the main drag where all the businesses are. Why drive back to the lake park? Maybe because you like the lake. That makes sense. It was so bitterly cold that day though and it's overall ugly this time of year. Why venture off the beaten path? Why not just park your car somewhere off the main drag? I'm trying to say, from the mind of someone who's done a great deal of sitting in parking lots with running cars, that I would not have picked that spot. I'm not saying that someone else wouldn't, I'm just curious about their reasons.

I do know and acknowledge that perps come from all walks of life. I have a degree in social work from UNI. I have a handful of experience in the field. I've worked with kids who have been abused. It happens everywhere. I do think the neighborhood around Maiden Ln is relevant though. Rarely have I seen meth houses in the news that looked like the ones that line the lake. Meth houses tend to look much more like the houses around Maiden Ln and to the East of there. No one can dismiss the connection that meth has to this case. Even if Lyric's parents have no real ties to this killer, he could still have been under the influence of meth. A significant portion of the crimes that happen in our neck of the woods are committed by people on meth.

This is going to be a "w" post: Ohhh Ashley... Wow, wow, and wow !! Welcome, welcome, and welcome!! And... you're a local to boot?!? <sorry.. I couldn't find a smiley that converts it to "wocal to woot">

IMHO, your first posts here are the "west" ever... :great::great::great:

Welcome aboard, Ashley!!!

In our town the parks are sadly known for areas of drug dealing and also "hoodlum activity" which is simply loitering...especially parks where there isn't a lot of traffic coming through.

<snipped for space>

I've never seen a girl or even a grown woman just sitting in the car at the park alone. They typically exit the vehicle (in the cases I've seen) and are on a bench, talking on their cell, or reading a book.

<snipped for space>

I always make sure the people who are just sitting in their car KNOW that I've seen them. Some will leave right away which makes me suspicious.

And I feel bad! I do! I don't want anyone to feel like they can't go to the park and just hang out...but if they aren't doing anything wrong they'd have no reason to bail...other than the fact that I clearly made them uncomfortable. :( This case has just got me on edge about parks.

I must be strange... I'm a grown woman and I do that all the time, go up to the park and stay in the car. I make sure I'm near the dog park or softball fields or something instead of the playgrounds, but I'll sit and read a book, use the phone, etc. Funny enough part of why is the first thing you mentioned about the "hoodlum activity" and the last thing you said about people quickly bailing. Part of why I DO stay in my car is that I figure I'm somewhat safer distracted reading a book there than distracted out in the open on a bench, and I can leave faster if something or someone questionable comes around.

I completely understand what you mean though. I'm way more cautious about parks and even moreso about bike trails now, so much so that I don't even use either one much anymore. :(

I know things will slowly get back to "normal" for people, but hopefully with just a little more caution than before. I'm sure that will be easier once the horrible person (if I must call him/her that) has been caught.

Hello everyone! I am sooo glad to be able to finally post on this thread. I have been been lurking in the shadows for months. I have tried numerous times to get registered with the forums but all I have are free email addys & apparently my email was kicking correspondence from the main websleuths address to my junk folder. Anyhow, I feel like I know you all so well because I've been reading you for so long. That probably sounds a bit creepy.

I am a local. I don't live in Evansdale, but I live in a town about 20 minutes to the East. I actually have a friend that lives right on the lake. I have a daughter that is around the girls' age.

My mom, grandma, aunt, and I were going out to lunch in Waterloo on the day the girls were abducted. We would have been driving right by the lake on 20 around noon that day. We didn't pay any attention to the lake because we obviously didn't have any reason to. I cannot stop wondering what I might have seen if I just looked over. Anything might have helped. We took the old hwy 20 home after lunch as construction back-up on the "new" hwy 20 was bad earlier. The killer would have had to cross old hwy 20 to take the girls to 7 Bridges. Could we have crossed his path? I wish I could go back in time and been more vigilant. This case absolutely haunts me. I think about it when I go to bed at night. I cannot get these girls out of my mind.

A cousin of my best friend from high school was murdered in December - within a week of the girls' bodies being discovered. Her case is unsolved but LE knows a great deal. LE is very tight-lipped in her case too. We were talking about both cases recently. She said, "The thing with these cases, I feel like the cops know more than they're releasing because they're waiting for people to say something and to bring notoriety to themselves. That case you're discussing is sick. That would bother me a lot too...but, the cops probably have some ideas, and they don't want to taint any evidence they have by people's meddling. It is scary to have kids, with both of these cases, and know nothing. But I'm sure they're onto something, just have faith."

I've read people say things to that effect on here too. Evelyn Miller's case was brought to a close because of a big mouth. Maybe all this time is needed just as it was in her case. I'm trying to bank on it but I'm so frustrated right now. I cannot believe we have no new developments. Every time I turn on the news it seems like someone has tried to abduct another child in our area. I can't even take my kids to Walmart without being a nervous wreck.

:wagon: Welcome Aboard AshleyD! Please don't beat yourself up about not being more vigilent. You did not know.

So sorry about your best friend's cousin. I hope LE solves her case soon too.

Totally understand how you feel regarding no new developments in the girls' case.

Anyway, glad you finally made it in to WebSleuths. Local perspectives are the best! :seeya:

I guess I am just spinning my wheels, because I just can't understand how after they found the girls murdered that they aren't releasing the warning that they need help solving this case.:waitasec:

Is it because they KNOW why the girls were killed? And they don't think this person is a threat to kill again? Who knows. I know we've been over it and over it and it just doesn't make sense to me as to why there just doesn't appear to be a sense of danger in the community after they find the girls murdered. Logically I would then wonder if someone in the family may be responsible, so LE knows there is no real threat to anyone else. It just doesn't make sense.:banghead:

Or the girls were targeted for a specific reason (revenge, retaliation, cover-up, ensure someone doesn't talk, etc) and that reason excludes the targeting or endangerment of other children. This motive would most likely be a message to family and friends to keep quiet about whatever it is...or else. In my opinion, a "random perp on the loose" would present a higher sense of danger within the community and more warnings and updates by LE.

A vague description of a person isn't going to convict anyone, but it would, hopefully, lead to more evidence. If it lead to a suspect? Or several suspects, then it would be narrowed down by checking alibis, getting search warrants and collecting more evidence. Remember in the very beginning, they said they had collected evidence from the lake. Other than the bikes, cell phone and purse, we haven't been told of anything else that they've found. I personally hold onto the hope that they have something, maybe of the perps, that will tie the whole case together. Tony Thompson was just on Tv the other night confirming that they are withholding some facts. I think thats a possitive sign.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

If I remember correctly they had a coffee mug from one of the quick shops in a bag.

This map shows the bike trails in the area, in red, and the route taken by the cyclist, in green. I understand that cycling from the Gilbertville Station to the lake would take about 30 minutes, so the entire trip would take about 1.5 hours.

biketrail.jpg

I only now noticed that the cyclist's stated route took him beside Mr. Carpenter's house during the time period Mr. Carpenter said he was watering his lawn and saw Lyric and Elizabeth. I wonder if the cyclist and Mr. Carpenter saw each other that day, too? :waitasec:

you mean a situation like this one, for instance:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/se...cle_502d7e4d-c4e1-51e6-89d4-a7f53cc37964.html

Not saying this is related to this case. Simply using him as an example of someone who was likely in the area during the girls abductions, left sometime after during the summer, and then was incarcerated in Texas, where he remains.

Jeepers, creepers! Where'd you get those peepers? Okie dokie! When are you guys gonna extradite him back to Iowa? I have to wonder though if he was discovered "not registered" during the interviewing of the "local SO's" including Waterloo. :waitasec:

Do you sit in your vehicle in a hat with the bill cocked over to the side, with the drivers side seat leaned so far back you can't see it, leaning against the console in the middle so juuuuusssttt your eyes peer out over the top of the steering wheel...all while wearing a white tank top with cigarette holes and smoke billowing out the windows of your car?

Because I'm gonna give you the stink eye if you do.

You must have seen me....:floorlaugh::truce:

We've been focused on drug dealers for while ... what about criminal deviants like Austin Sigg (equal rights etc.) ... are there any deviants in Blackhawk County that have gone under the radar because of youth, or who live in the area and simply haven't been identified? It sounds like Austin Sigg, at the age of 16/17, was involved with animal killings, pedophilia while playing some sort of hide and seek game with girls aged 10-12, attempted abduction of a 20 year old, successful abduction of a 10 year old, murder and dismemberment.

I think the people in Evansdale should take a careful look at the people that do business in Evansdale ... it is someone familiar with area, that much we know.

It appears that the Iowa Courts Online site only shows records back to the 1990s. Does anyone know if there's a way to look at earlier court records?

Ashleyd8402 -

If you don't mind sharing (if not, it's ok, I'm just being nosy :floorlaugh:):

I'm just curious if your friend who lives by the lake has told you about any rumors/ info about the abduction she's heard around town?

I am honestly very surprised by the lack of chatter in the town. I live in a small town and if this happened here, every Tom, Dick, and Harry would have the mouths in the wind telling everything they've heard.

I know some are trying to protect the family but there is always people in town who chatter like a squirrel about everything, to make them look important and in the know.

Did your friends house get searched or did LE come to her house to ask about the girls? The reason I ask is that other people who posted wayyyy back in the early days who were locals did NOT get searched or even asked and they live very close to the lake too.

Just curious what (if anything) your friend has heard regarding that day. :(

Her house was searched two or three times. She was also questioned. She was home with her two small children that day. It was very hot and they didn't venture outside. She said that LE hasn't been nice to her and her neighbors. They were accusatory. They asked why she didn't look out her windows that day as if there were something wrong with that. The neighborhood take on things early on was that LE was desperate for any info because they seem to have no directions to go in. Their questions didn't seem to specifically target anything. They were just very general.

People are talking about the case. I've heard strangers talking about it at the grocery store and while dining out. I hear rumors from friends and acquaintances often. Most of the stuff we were hearing before the bodies were discovered were that the girls had been trafficked and were overseas. Supposedly LE was right on their tail and they were going to be recovered any day. I've heard of local cops speaking about this. When there were announcements for the press conference on the day the bodies were found, we all assumed that LE had finally caught up with them in Europe.

I have a friend in high places that swears this is going to come down to Lyric's parents drug connections. I don't buy that but she does have connections.

I only now noticed that the cyclist's stated route took him beside Mr. Carpenter's house during the time period Mr. Carpenter said he was watering his lawn and saw Lyric and Elizabeth. I wonder if the cyclist and Mr. Carpenter saw each other that day, too? :waitasec:

They should have seen each other ... he also cycled quite a distance along Lafayette, so many people and CCTV should have seen him.

Jeepers, creepers! Where'd you get those peepers? Okie dokie! When are you guys gonna extradite him back to Iowa? I have to wonder though if he was discovered "not registered" during the interviewing of the "local SO's" including Waterloo. :waitasec:

I don't know, but cases such as the one I linked upthread, and the fact that not all SOs have been caught or labelled as such yet, make me go hmmmm. IT is why I still keep the possibility that this crime is motivated by a child predator in mind despite people continuing to insist that all RSOs in the area were "cleared:" by LE.

Lots and lots of SOs who are supposed to registers their locations do not do so. I remember when I first read about the case I linked (I found it on CVM FB page back when the story about this guy broke) I had a moment where I thought "see, this is what I mean about how the girls abduction could still involve a SO, either unregistered or unknown."

That is a quite interesting observation!

I don't know, but cases such as the one I linked upthread, and the fact that not all SOs have been caught or labelled as such yet, make me go hmmmm. IT is why I still keep the possibility that this crime is motivated by a child predator in mind despite people continuing to insist that all RSOs in the area were "cleared:" by LE.

Lots and lots of SOs who are supposed to registers their locations do not do so. I remember when I first read about the case I linked (I found it on CVM FB page back when the story about this guy broke) I had a moment where I thought "see, this is what I mean about how the girls abduction could still involve a SO, either unregistered or unknown."

:goodpost: 5 stars! * * * * *

Was this not the case with Jessica Lunsford? John Cooey (sp?) failed to register. He was a meth head too. I remember LE was not so nice to Jessica's father and grandparents. I recently saw Jessica's father on TV. He has been in Colorado advocating Jessica's Law. IIRC, 47 states have passed the law, but Colorado has not. He stated there was not much interest in Jessica's law in Colorado. I find that concerning especially in light of Jessica Ridgeway and Austin Sigg - although Jessica's Law would not affect that case in particular.

LE did state early on that (Evansdale) RSOs were cleared. If an offender was living in Evansdale and was not registered, that person would not be a Registered Sex Offender in Evansdale. LE would have been unaware that a sex offender who was supposed to register with them was living in Evansdale so that person would not have been cleared as an RSO. LE's statement that the RSOs had been cleared would not have included anyone who was not required to register nor anyone who might be a sex offender but has not been caught. I've never gotten the feeling that anyone felt this case could not be a sexually-motivated crime based upoon some RSOs being cleared. Rather, I believe people may have eliminated the Registered SOs withinin Evansdale as being the perp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine