IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The humidity is what makes the day muggy, and so being inside in the air conditioning is so much better.

There was light rain that stopped before 9 AM and the humidity was not especially high. From the looks of it, July 13 was one of the best days for being outside in Evansdale during the month of July.

Not clear, but are you insinuating that someone is lying about the heat?

Not at all. What I'm saying is that given the facts about the temperature and humidity on July 13, if someone suggests that it was off the charts hot and off the charts humid, they are probably mistaken ... because the facts suggest the opposite.

I just watched the youtube video again called, Missing no more: Readlyn man hunted near site where Evansdale cousins were found. By Anelia K. Dimitrova from 2 months ago.

Shows you how remote 7 bridges wildlife area is. Very sad yet creepy.

I don't specifically remember the weather on July 13th. It was hot and disgusting all summer. I was pregnant, 7 months along in July. I was miserable. Despite having another little one that was very eager to get out, we avoided going outside pretty much all summer. I think many people just got in a habit of avoiding outside activities this summer.

I do specifically remember the weather when there were organized searches going on for the girls. The heat was really bad that weekend. I wished I could participate, but that wasn't possible given my state at the time. I honestly wondered if I would have participated even if I hadn't been so pregnant. It was miserable that weekend.

I miss Gran too! Can't remember how to spell it either, but love reading her posts.

Good to see Marilyn! :)

Thanks, I just needed a couple of days off.

I've also been wondering about GrainneDhu. Maybe she's just taking a break from WS.

Her house was searched two or three times. She was also questioned. She was home with her two small children that day. It was very hot and they didn't venture outside. She said that LE hasn't been nice to her and her neighbors. They were accusatory. They asked why she didn't look out her windows that day as if there were something wrong with that. The neighborhood take on things early on was that LE was desperate for any info because they seem to have no directions to go in. Their questions didn't seem to specifically target anything. They were just very general.

People are talking about the case. I've heard strangers talking about it at the grocery store and while dining out. I hear rumors from friends and acquaintances often. Most of the stuff we were hearing before the bodies were discovered were that the girls had been trafficked and were overseas. Supposedly LE was right on their tail and they were going to be recovered any day. I've heard of local cops speaking about this. When there were announcements for the press conference on the day the bodies were found, we all assumed that LE had finally caught up with them in Europe.

I have a friend in high places that swears this is going to come down to Lyric's parents drug connections. I don't buy that but she does have connections.

I'm so sorry because it sounds like your friend was being harrassed. Makes LE look like they are grasping at straws. I am glad to hear that people are talking about the case. Sure some are angry that there has been so little information has been released and two little girls are dead. It makes me want to scream, "WHERE'S THE ANGER THAT TWO INNOCENT LITTLE GIRLS ARE DEAD?" I want to hear from the parents like we heard from Somer Thompson's mother, Diena Thompson!!! I mean hell should have no fury like that of a murdered child's parents IMO. Maybe they are just good at keeping it inside. I would not be able to keep silent! :furious:

When Evansdale had their town hall meeting and only 8 people showed up, I was like :waitasec: God bless those 8 that did turn out for the meeting. Five investigators still on the case -Oh! That's great! But, wait, does that mean they have this case under control or they still have so many leads they don't know which way to turn???

Not sure how I feel about there being a connection with Lyric's parents. I feel more that whoever did this was involved with meth and not necessarily through the parents. Although, I'm sure if we played 6 degrees of meth separation with M&D or H&D, we would find a connection. Same goes for RSO or an unregistered SO. :banghead:

Again, thank you for your posts!

I don't specifically remember the weather on July 13th. It was hot and disgusting all summer. I was pregnant, 7 months along in July. I was miserable. Despite having another little one that was very eager to get out, we avoided going outside pretty much all summer. I think many people just got in a habit of avoiding outside activities this summer.

I do specifically remember the weather when there were organized searches going on for the girls. The heat was really bad that weekend. I wished I could participate, but that wasn't possible given my state at the time. I honestly wondered if I would have participated even if I hadn't been so pregnant. It was miserable that weekend.

I was thinking along the same lines. The perceived comfort/ discomfort in summer temperatures is quite subjective. Some may like it hot...others, not.

Thanks, I just needed a couple of days off.

I've also been wondering about GrainneDhu. Maybe she's just taking a break from WS.

I totally understand about taking breaks!! :grouphug: This case would test the "patience of Job."

The day of the abduction, I recall reading that most people were indoors due to the humidity and also air conditioning was discussed and that this may have been the reason there were not a lot of people who saw the girls, as most stayed indoors that day.

Just going from memory though, this may not have been July 13.

IMO

Regarding the trafficking theory, do you mean that investigators were openly discussing this theory as plausible? I was always under the impression that this was perhaps wishful thinking on behalf of the parents ... a way of keeping open the possibility that the children were alive.

I heard of a Cedar Rapids cop saying this. I also heard of a cop in my hometown saying this. I don't believe that either of them would have been privy to the actual investigation. I think everyone just wanted it to be true and cops talk just as much as the average Joe.

It was 94 degrees on July 15, when the searches were being conducted ... 11 degrees higher than when the girls vanished ... so I believe that it was too hot for many people to be hiking and searching. I remember reading that search and rescue teams were overwhelmed with having to look after searchers that were unprepared for the weather conditions, so too much time and money was spent looking after them (water bottles, food, dehydration).

"The search party swelled to about 1,100 Sunday afternoon, officials said. Keeping volunteers and emergency workers safe as they trudged through timber, cornfields and river edges was a top priority for medical personnel.

Heat-related problems were a concern with temperatures soaring past 90 degrees. Medical officials at the Evansdale Community Response Center, the search headquarters, said nobody was seriously injured or became ill.

Local people and businesses have donated pallets of water, tons of ice and truckloads of food for the effort.

About 60 people searched around the BMC Aggregates sand pits a few miles northwest of Gilbertville Sunday afternoon."

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Sear...k-County-for-Two-Missing-Girls-162494926.html

Darn! It won't open for me. Can we make a list?

1. Wrestling event.
2. Religious convention.
3. Convict escaped from Black Hawk County Jail.
4. ? Was something going on with "The Depot"? Can't remember.

Help?

Bootsctr, it is very long and detailed, but iirc, there was something going on at the Depot also (around that date).

I've tried to go through Dan's current charges and I'm not seeing the charge of manufacturing meth as a charge. Possession of all of the drugs needed, there's also a a possession of lithium charge. That stuff is dangerous if not monitored. Not sure what's going on with the domestic violence charge against Misty either.

If you get a chance anyone, check out both please on Iowa Courts Online. tia

I'm clueless. Are we talking about lithium, the "mood stabilizer drug" because it is my understanding he has some mental issues, or we talking about lithium batteries? I think Fox posted a link (?) with stuff you could make meth from and I should have saved it but I did not. It was quite "enlightening!"

I'm clueless. Are we talking about lithium, the "mood stabilizer drug" because it is my understanding he has some mental issues, or we talking about lithium batteries? I think Fox posted a link (?) with stuff you could make meth from and I should have saved it but I did not. It was quite "enlightening!"

They use the lithium from batteries.

Regarding the possibility that the perp has some connection to illegal drug addiction ... I'm wondering how someone in high places rationalizes the scrambled brain of a drug addict with the apparent well planned, and executed, abduction and murder of two children.

I'm not entirely convinced that this was well-planned and executed. A part of me thinks that this was a crime of opportunity and someone just got really lucky. I can see how the two girls might have been exploring Maiden Ln on their own. I can see how it could have happened quickly enough that no one happened to witness it. Maybe someone who knew them saw them venture back there and followed. Maybe that someone was able to convince them that there was an emergency and that they needed to get in a car and go somewhere quickly. They could have said, "Grandma's in the hospital. Just leave your bikes here. We can come back and get them later. We have to go now!" If Elizabeth had already dropped or tossed her purse, she probably wouldn't have bothered to get it. The killer(s) could have snatched them very quickly and without a trace.

That said, people in all walks of life have had connections to the meth world. A few years ago, there was a doctor from Cedar Falls that was making meth or paying someone to make meth for him. I can't remember the specifics of it, but when it all came down this doctor was very connected to the meth world. I've always heard that the best drug dealers don't use their product. I do think that this murder could have drug connections and still have been well-planned and executed.

temperature, dewpoint, and rainfall are all very measurable.

A person's reaction to and feeling about how hot or humid a day is is subjective and tied directly to that person's tolerance or liking of same.

What seems normal or not terribly hot and humid may feel unbearable to another.

Given those facts I fail to see how debating a third party's recollection of how they felt about the weather in Evansdale on July 13, 2012 accomplishes anything except being argumentative.

MOO

I'm not entirely convinced that this was well-planned and executed. A part of me thinks that this was a crime of opportunity and someone just got really lucky. I can see how the two girls might have been exploring Maiden Ln on their own. I can see how it could have happened quickly enough that no one happened to witness it. Maybe someone who knew them saw them venture back there and followed. Maybe that someone was able to convince them that there was an emergency and that they needed to get in a car and go somewhere quickly. They could have said, "Grandma's in the hospital. Just leave your bikes here. We can come back and get them later. We have to go now!" If Elizabeth had already dropped or tossed her purse, she probably wouldn't have bothered to get it. The killer(s) could have snatched them very quickly and without a trace.

That said, people in all walks of life have had connections to the meth world. A few years ago, there was a doctor from Cedar Falls that was making meth or paying someone to make meth for him. I can't remember the specifics of it, but when it all came down this doctor was very connected to the meth world. I've always heard that the best drug dealers don't use their product. I do think that this murder could have drug connections and still have been well-planned and executed.

It sounds like the potential meth connection is so loose that it could also be said that the perp has a church connection.

I agree with both of your theories. And I remember the good doc.... in fact, he performed a medical procedure on me!! Yikes! But that was long before his mess began. At least I hope so!! :(
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

temperature, dewpoint, and rainfall are all very measurable.

A person's reaction to and feeling about how hot or humid a day is is subjective and tied directly to that person's tolerance or liking of same.

What seems normal or not terribly hot and humid may feel unbearable to another.

Given those facts I fail to see how debating a third party's recollection of how they felt about the weather in Evansdale on July 13, 2012 accomplishes anything except being argumentative.

MOO

No one is debating anyone's opinion about the weather on July 13.

The reason that I want to look at the facts regarding the humidity and temperature on July 13, 2012 in Evansdale is so that we don't have to rely on personal perceptions about the temperature ... we can look at the facts. 83 degrees with normal humidity does not strike me as so extreme that people would stay indoors because of the temperature, particularly in the context of normal temperatures for July in Evansdale and the temperatures for the rest of the month.

Indeed, some people may perceive 83 degrees and normal humidity as uncomfortable weather, but I don't think we should assume that the weather that day was so extreme that everyone was indoors. In fact, July 13, 2012 was one of the cooler, and probably more pleasant days, for being outside that month.

The bottom line is that any suggestions that no one was outside on July 13 because of the weather really aren't supported by the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NVWoman