IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched hog/swine/pig events, conventions, seminars, etc. in July 2012 and came up with zilch. I did find a big, annual one in Des Moines the beginning of June.

Why would MJK be in E'dale at noon on 13-July? Was there any auctions going on at that time that would draw in an out of towner? I think I read they have auctions on Tuesdays, but what about Fridays?

Unsecured appearance bond is a type of bail in which the accused make a written promise to appear in court. The bond will also contain the accused's unsecured promise to pay a specified sum of money if the accused fails to appear as required. Generally, an unsecured appearance bond is used when there is little reason to believe that an accused will not appear as required. It is an alternative to personal recognizance.

I searched hog/swine/pig events, conventions, seminars, etc. in July 2012 and came up with zilch. I did find a big, annual one in Des Moines the beginning of June.

Why would MJK be in E'dale at noon on 13-July? Was there any auctions going on at that time that would draw in an out of towner? I think I read they have auctions on Tuesdays, but what about Fridays?

There is a Cornbelt Auctions place at 3520 Lafayette Rd and also there is a Lederman's Safety Footwear (a big and tall men and boys clothing store) located at 3524 Lafayette Rd. He could have visited either place or both of them.

Its a different crime.

We don't know if there was a sexual attack

If LE reveals the girls were NOT molested would everyone still be so sure this was MJK?

I don't have an opinion either way. There seems to be evidence pointing toward it. There's evidence pointing against it. I'll wait and see.

I am not following, they have 3 people who saw the vehicle there, on the day they went missing. If MK had access to that type of vehicle, and 3 people reported it there that day, that would be their connection.

Regardless if someone can't identify something "special" about it...3 people saw it there. HIS DNA would be in that vehicle so they could put him in that vehicle, and 3 people have that vehicle there. If they had the vehicle I would think they could bring those 3 people in (separately) and say "YES" or "NO" if that was the vehicle they saw.

They appear to be looking for something very specific about that vehicle, which would be something that would easily be able to link him to THAT particular SUV type vehicle if they know there is something so special about it...

???

BBM

They really NEED to place him at the scene of the crime. They NEED someone to come forward and ID Klunder as the driver. Without that, the description of the vehicle is far too common and circumstantial.

That happened in 1991 - here is the timeline of his crimes:

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_b448708a-db89-11e2-bf27-0019bb2963f4.html

Sadly, I wouldn't necessarily call him "inexperienced" since he's been committing crimes of violence/sexual assault since 1986 (15 years old).

One thing he has NOT been good at is getting away with much of anything (thankfully).

I am certainly not going to be "shocked" per se if he does end up being connected, but yes, it will surprise me that he was able to pull this one off with the girls. Somehow I just see him as a completely impulsive - non planning - attacker. I just feel that this situation with the girls was meticulously planned. Those girls didn't go to that lake (per their families accounts) and for them to be in THAT spot at THAT time with no way out just seems too coincidental for this to be a Klunder connection for me.

BBM . . . I disagree. I think Klunder planned his crimes, but the victim was just a crime of opportunity, I see this very much playing out in Lyric and Lizzie's disappearance. The crime was planned, the perp knew what he was going to do that day. . . .had a weapon, used zip ties, planned the details about the vehicle, knew where the crime scene was going to be, and had a good idea of the dump site. The only thing I think that wasn't planned was WHO the victims were going to be. I think that was based solely on opportunity. :(

MOO

BBM . . . I disagree. I think Klunder planned his crimes, but the victim was just a crime of opportunity, I see this very much playing out in Lyric and Lizzie's disappearance. The crime was planned, the perp knew what he was going to do that day. . . .had a weapon, used zip ties, planned the details about the vehicle, knew where the crime scene was going to be, and had a good idea of the dump site. The only thing I think that wasn't planned was WHO the victims were going to be. I think that was based solely on opportunity. :(

MOO

Agree 1000%!

the Black Hawk County Fair was held in late July 2012. Preregistration began on July 15, 2012; two days after L & L's abduction. The Swine exhibit and Big Boar contest are big draws for the fair..
MJK worked in the swine industry and may have manned a booth at the BHC fair for his employer..imo

Just wondering if the change in the Iowa Amber Alert criteria was due to the overlooking of the 3 tips on the boxy white SUV in the EC & LC investigation?

http://www.kwwl.com/story/22985419/...-updated-evansdale-family-pleased-with-change

AMBER Alert criteria updated, Evansdale family pleased with change

Posted: Aug 01, 2013 12:31 AM EDT
Updated: Aug 01, 2013 12:37 PM EDT

<sniped & BBM for focus>
BLACK HAWK COUNTY (KWWL) -
Three little letters -- the word "and" -- could have made all the difference to Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins, the Evansdale girls that were kidnapped just over a year ago.

When they went missing, an AMBER Alert was never issued. Officers had no suspect or description of the vehicle

Previously, Criteria Four of the code required "descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect's vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast will help."

Now, the "and" has been stricken from the code.

The new code also encourages law enforcement to interpret the code more broadly than before, erring on the side of caution.

Trelka has been advocating for change in the code for almost a year. He even attended an AMBER Alert conference with Drew Collins, Elizabeth's father.

Still, Trelka said the timing of this decision is amazing.

"To have the state come out with the changes in criteria, today on Elizabeth's birthday, just sends shivers down my spine," he said. "I mean, wow."

He said a clearer policy allows officers to act more quickly to save missing children, so the change is a move in the right direction.

Because time is of the essence in child abduction cases,

"What's sad is when a child is abducted, their chance of being murdered in the first three hours is significant," he said.

For Elizabeth's mother, on what would have been her daughter's tenth birthday, this change was the answer to her prayers.

"When I woke up today and I was praying, 'Lord, let something happen big today, even if it's not huge, huge, just something that will&#8230;" she said. "Just to show that what we're doing is what we should be doing."

Thank you Dr. Know!

They must've agreed that she needed some time to take care of her affairs....:truce:

Just recieved an update from Iowa Vinelink. Misty has bonded out. She had $130K plus the new charge filed that will be heard 12/16 for an additonal $15K.

12/9/2013

This e-mail is to inform you that MISTY COOK has been released from custody as of 12/9/2013. The release reason is: Bonded out. If you have any concerns about your immediate safety, contact your local law enforcement agency, or if you have an emergency, call 911.

For more information, contact the Fayette County Jail. The telephone number is (563)422-3234.

Her docket updated today. $50,000 unsecured bond. All about unsecured bonds at link below, it's a promise to pay basically.

ORDER OF ARRAIGNMENT STOCHL RICHARD D 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013
Comments: PTC 1/22/14 @10AM JTR 1/29/14 @9AM
OTHER ORDER STOCHL RICHARD D 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013
Comments: DEFENDANT RELEASED TO PRETRIAL SERVICES UPON POSTING $50,000
UNSECURED APPEARANCE BOND

MOTION TO WITHDRAW COUNSEL FOLTA THAIS ANN 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013

Also changing attorney's again...

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/SelectFrame

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initSearchForm.do?searchType=offender&siteId=16000

(she's listed as Misty Cook on Vinelink)

http://news.morningstar.com/classroom2/course.asp?docId=5404&page=3&CN=com

O/T but curious...Does anyone know what happened to Cedar Valley Mug Shots on FB? I haven't been able to find it for quite some time now.
Thank you in advance.

well, Merry Christmas!
Why on earth the courts allow a habitual drug offender out on bail is beyond me.
Do they really think they will stop while they are waiting for their trial??
LE probably already know who she is involved with.
I wonder who put up that amount of $$/collateral?
JMO

MOO

I would believe this if there was ANY evidence whatsoever that Klunder had ever been in Evansdale. There is no connection whatsoever for Klunder and Evansdale that I've read other than a bunch of assumptions that he COULD have driven through there, COULD have worked at a fair, etc. and the list goes on.

Those are assumptions that you could come up with for ANY person who did this. IMO that is making the suspect fit the crime and not the other way around.

Can someone point me to any sources that would link Klunder to Evansdale? Bremer county itself was the only connection I have found.
He was in a treatment facility in Waverly...which is approx 20 miles away from Seven Bridges which is 35 mins away from Evansdale. Is there any indicator that he'd ever been to 7 Bridges? Or is that just an assumption because he at one time he resided at a juvenile residential treatment facility in the same county? Yes some of the kids are allowed attend summer camp for 1 week a year but I thought I read somewhere that week is held at Cedar Bend county park...? From what I've read, there are locals who had never heard of 7 Bridges so it's not a well known park. :(

Just adding to my above post - this park where the girls were found isn't a well known park. When Klunder was in the treatment facility he would have been driven there by the administration of the camp...not drive there himself to remotely remember directions. He wasn't at the treatment facility very long, nor do we know if he EVER went to the "special program" which allowed SOME residents the week at camp. And like I said, from what I read it didn't take place at this camp. Is there a connection of Klunder to Readlyn?

My husband grew up going to Seven Bridges and hadn't been back for close to 15 years and still had to look up directions and we had to turn around more than once trying to find it (when I took the videos).

IMO this person knew 7 bridges like the back of his hand. They also knew Evansdale just as well. Enough so to deflect any detection or capture on CCTV.
I would expect this person to be familiar with either hunting/fishing and or partying at Seven Bridges and had been to the park on multiple occassions - knowing where these girls could be placed with little chance of detection.

I know everyone thinks I'm being stubborn and ignorant...and I will eat my shoes if Klunder ends up being the guy. But I have yet to see ANY evidence that isn't assumed to think that Klunder would know Evansdale, would have any reason to be there, and ALSO knows the terrain of Seven Bridges Park - let alone know how to get there.

:(

do I recall reading Klunder was involved in religious classes or services while in prison?
I cannot find the article that stated that...
wonder if he was a promisekeeper, they had a convention in CFalls that weekend.
I'm not leaning towards it being him, but you never know!

Just adding to my above post - this park where the girls were found isn't a well known park. When Klunder was in the treatment facility he would have been driven there by the administration of the camp...not drive there himself to remotely remember directions. He wasn't at the treatment facility very long, nor do we know if he EVER went to the "special program" which allowed SOME residents the week at camp. And like I said, from what I read it didn't take place at this camp. Is there a connection of Klunder to Readlyn?

My husband grew up going to Seven Bridges and hadn't been back for close to 15 years and still had to look up directions and we had to turn around more than once trying to find it (when I took the videos).

IMO this person knew 7 bridges like the back of his hand. They also knew Evansdale just as well. Enough so to deflect any detection or capture on CCTV.
I would expect this person to be familiar with either hunting/fishing and or partying at Seven Bridges and had been to the park on multiple occassions - knowing where these girls could be placed with little chance of detection.

I know everyone thinks I'm being stubborn and ignorant...and I will eat my shoes if Klunder ends up being the guy. But I have yet to see ANY evidence that isn't assumed to think that Klunder would know Evansdale, would have any reason to be there, and ALSO knows the terrain of Seven Bridges Park - let alone know how to get there.

I don't disagree with your basic point, but thought I'd mention that people have different levels of geographic memory. I can remember how to get to some places I visited 40 years or more ago. Not everything, but quite a few. I'm also pretty good at figuring out how to get to someplace I've never been from knowing some roads and the lay of the land. So if I knew 7 Bridges was on the river north and west of town, and that the roads make big rectangles, I could probably find it without too much trouble. I'm not saying Klunder has good geographic memory, but whoever killed the girls probably did.

Also, serial predators tend to keep an eye open for likely places to commit their crimes, including disposal sites if they're that kind of killer. They just don't think the same way we do. He might have a mental list of places he's been to that fit his requirements, maybe not even thought out. He might have gone to one of those farms, noticed the park, and filed it away for future use. Maybe even went back another time to scout it out.

I'm not saying it happened this way and all things considered you're probably right. But it's a honking huge coincidence that there would be two people with a penchant for abducting girls in pairs wandering around central Iowa at the same time. It could be just a coincidence. Stranger things have happened. But geez.

BBM

I don't think that at all. I agree with you about Klunder, for what it's worth!

I really think that by now, LE knows everything they need to know about Klunder, including where he was on July 13th and what vehicle he was driving. JMO.

I don't disagree with your basic point, but thought I'd mention that people have different levels of geographic memory. I can remember how to get to some places I visited 40 years or more ago. Not everything, but quite a few. I'm also pretty good at figuring out how to get to someplace I've never been from knowing some roads and the lay of the land. So if I knew 7 Bridges was on the river north and west of town, and that the roads make big rectangles, I could probably find it without too much trouble. I'm not saying Klunder has good geographic memory, but whoever killed the girls probably did.

Also, serial predators tend to keep an eye open for likely places to commit their crimes, including disposal sites if they're that kind of killer. They just don't think the same way we do. He might have a mental list of places he's been to that fit his requirements, maybe not even thought out. He might have gone to one of those farms, noticed the park, and filed it away for future use. Maybe even went back another time to scout it out.

I'm not saying it happened this way and all things considered you're probably right. But it's a honking huge coincidence that there would be two people with a penchant for abducting girls in pairs wandering around central Iowa at the same time. It could be just a coincidence. Stranger things have happened. But geez.

Thank you - and you're likely very right on Klunder's thought process and even the geographical memory. I guess I really shouldn't try to "understand" the thinking process of a serial killer...and the day I actually DO understand? :eek: I'm trying to make some sort of logical connection and I need to accept it probably isn't ever going to be there. But yes, the liklihood of the taking of two is VERY suspicious. Other than that piece of it, I am still struggling with it. And I guess you could add in that he left Kathlynn/DH 's backpack behind...as did L&L - however, that seems to me like a "logical" thing to do to deflect and have people look in the wrong area. I don't think it's uncommon for offenders to try to steer the search in a completely irrelevant location, is it?

BBM

I don't think that at all. I agree with you about Klunder, for what it's worth!

I really think that by now, LE knows everything they need to know about Klunder, including where he was on July 13th and what vehicle he was driving. JMO.

Thanks! :seeya: I agree with you. I think the inferrences by LE stating they have "nothing to link" Klunder to the murder, but they are keeping it on the table tells me they are just waiting on the DNA to rule him out 100%. :(

I wish he WAS the guy...how great would that be!? I just hope they don't linger for another year on ruling him in or out. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV