IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, a teen would be far less intimidating. Also keep in mind that Lyric had a teen brother so for her a teen male could easily fit into the "nonthreatening" category because such an individual would seem to her eyes to be a peer of her family member.

In addition I cannot help but remember the time with older cousins when hanging at a park and did not return home at the time expected (shortly before the abduction). This suggests that Lyric in particular may have been exposed (innocently or not) to older teens while hanging with sibling and older cousins. Again, I would think that would make teen males appear to be less threatening than they might present to a young girl who was not used to seeing them around and possibly hanging around them in loose groups of friends and family.

Wondering about the aftermath of the abduction and murders of the girls.
Are kids worried about being kidnapped, have parents lost trust in others?
How about E and L's parents and the rest of the family?

Wondering about the aftermath of the abduction and murders of the girls.
Are kids worried about being kidnapped, have parents lost trust in others?
How about E and L's parents and the rest of the family?
I've wondered about that too. I don't know if local kids are afraid they'll be kidnapped, but I imagine they learn about "stranger danger" at school with Lyric and Lizzy being used as an example. JMO.

IMO, parents may have been less trusting at first, but by now that has probably changed.

As to the parents, Heather and Drew seem to be doing what they can to stay strong and do positive things. I get the impression Drew has hardened a bit. With Heather, it's hard to tell.

We all know where Dan and Misty are. And I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to the impact this has had on them. They have so many issues to deal with.

Poor Wylma. I always feel so sad when I think about her. I think she has suffered greatly and probably misses the girls every day.

Regarding the siblings, I imagine their lives changed forever. Life after July 13, 2012 probably bears little resemblance to the life they used to have. JMO.

So many people have been forever changed by the abduction and deaths of these two little girls.

There are Christmas lights at Angels Park. I saw Lindsey Nichols dad talking about it on the news the other day, but can't find a link. Pink trees.

COLD CASE SPOTLIGHT: Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook

Investigators with the Evansdale Police Department say that although it's been two years since the girls' bodies were found, the case is ongoing and they receive between five and 10 new tips each month. In August of this year, local police with help from the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit launched a new website to provide updates on the case and provide a character profile of any possible suspects.

According to the website, police believe "the offender blends in with and may be part of the Evansdale, Bremer and surrounding communities. It is unlikely that the offender is a transient or someone who was merely traveling or 'passing through' the area."

more at link
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/cold...potlight-elizabeth-collins-lyric-cook-n268191

Maybe, they should start checking out some of the social media tips or email tips like mine? Or yours? Maybe they have. gah. I'll send mine in again if I can find all the info. It was on JJB. I was never sold on the thought, sadly I did think of the parents too knowing at least why though. Lyrics parents. jmo

Latest Information on the suspect

The FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) has been involved in the case since July, 2012 and has offered it's assistance to investigators throughout the past two years. The below listed information as opinions based upon information available up until July 17, 2014 and assumes that the information provided in the case is valid and complete. Certain aspects of these opinions may be subject to modification or change, depending upon any new information that becomes available in the future.

The following items are possible characteristics the suspect may have, however should not be considered factual and the suspect or suspects may or may not possess one or all of the characteristics described here.

The offender most likely acted upon an opportunity to abduct Lyric and Elizabeth when they were seen in the Evansdale area.

The offender is familiar with both Meyers Lake/Angels Park in Evansdale and Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County. The offender specifically chose Seven Bridges Wildlife Area because of the offender’s familiarity with the area and the fact that it afforded the offender privacy needed to commit the crimes with limited risk of detection by others.

The offender likely used some form of “quiet coercion” to garner Elizabeth and Lyric’s initial compliance in leaving the park. This could have involved communication of a ruse or threats of violence.

The offender blends in with and may be a part of the Evansdale, Bremer and surrounding communities. It is unlikely that the offender is a transient or someone who was merely traveling or “passing through” the area.

The offender may have experienced stressors in the offender’s life in the time period leading up to July 13th, 2012. These stressors may have included legal problems, psychological/mental health difficulties, conflict(s) with their significant other or spouse, employment difficulties or financial strain.

The offender is likely following any media reports regarding the investigation but may deliberately avoid discussions with others about the case or any public display of interest about the investigation.

The offender may have attempted abductions in the past and these attempts may have involved minor or adult victims.

In the time period following July 13, 2012, the offender may have made attempts to alter the appearance of the offender’s vehicle. This may have involved cleaning the interior or exterior of the vehicle or permanently changing the appearance through painting or re-upholstery.

In the time period following July 13, 2012, the offender may have made attempts to alter the offender’s physical appearance to include, changing hair style/color, growing/removing facial hair, etc.

BAU case experience indicates that the vast majority of these types of offenses are committed by one offender. However, there are cases in which more than one offender was involved in some part of the criminal act. Therefore, the public is strongly encouraged to contact law enforcement with any suspicion involving a single offender, multiple offenders or any individual they are suspicious of -- whether or not the person possesses any of the characteristics mentioned above.

This information is being released to the public in hopes it will assist the public to remember specific activities/characteristics of individuals around the date of the girls abduction and report it to investigators.

The public is warned to take no action on their own based upon these characteristics but are asked to report their suspicions to law enforcement so they may be properly investigated and individual’s rights protected.

Wondering about any high school/college students working at a summer job in the area..

Someone who may have had reason to be in the area....we know there was the lake and park, so someone who was already there because they were fishing, or exercising? What other places are around that area where someone would have reason to be there in the middle of the day? Don't get mad :) I'm mentioning the day care again. Dropping a child/grandchild/niece/nephew/child of a friend off. Maybe someone who was not the regular drop off person. But then again the child would be dropped off in the morning. Someone who knew the routine of walking the children in the park every day. The day care was a home based day care. (Thanks Marylin, I had to go back to 2012 and you provided a link I needed). Are there any doctor offices in that area or how far is the nearest convenient store? Or maybe this person just knew they would find kids in a park during summer vacation in the middle of the day.

That FBI analysis is a whole lotta words to state what seems obvious to me lol!! "Crime of opportunity, went where he was familiar, doesn't want to talk about the crime, may have changed his appearance and appearance of his car."

Most obvious reason to be there: lives in the immediate area.

Walking, running, biking, jogging on the trail or on the roads around the lake.

Bird watching, fishing, having lunch.

Visiting a friend or relative who lives in the immediate area.

Also could include -
May not live there, but works in area
construction worker (including interstate work)
repairman
delivery person
salesman
and
camper

Or simply...predator!

I have always thought this was a crime of opportunity. I think some guy saw the two girls, faked them out somehow to get them near his vehicle, then likely grabbed Lizzy to make Lyric cooperate and forced them in.

I've also always thought he kept them somewhere for a while and abused them. Such as a basement, shed, storage facility. Then he either got tired of the stress of worrying about being discovered, or maybe someone was coming around where he had them - like maybe someone who lived with him coming back from being away.

I may have missed it but I've always seen it reported that their "bodies" were found rather than their "remains". To me there's a difference, meaning they weren't badly decomposed when found, which they should have been if left in the elements for several months. Which is why I think someone kept them a while.

I figure someone will eventually figure it out, or someone will confess, or someone will finally tell on someone they suspect. But I don't think it had anything to do directly with any of the drug activity.

I thought they meant that they think the person wasn't there because he was a predator. He had some other reason and then as you say took the opportunity.

I don't think the bodies versus remains means anything. People around here tend to say remains because they think it sounds less harsh than body. Same as they say passed rather than died. Which is not to say your theory is wrong.

Hello Websleuth friends!! I have a question for you. Does anyone remember in the beginning of this case is a vehicle was spotted at the lakethe day the girls went missing? And wasn't a man and boy spotted fishing?

Hey, Cindersoot! Good to see you :)

Man and boy in a boat on the lake, is what I remember.

I thought they meant that they think the person wasn't there because he was a predator. He had some other reason and then as you say took the opportunity.

I don't think the bodies versus remains means anything. People around here tend to say remains because they think it sounds less harsh than body. Same as they say passed rather than died. Which is not to say your theory is wrong.

Aw come on Carbuff, we should spend a few hours arguing about why theories neither of us can prove are right/wrong!! ;)

Hello Websleuth friends!! I have a question for you. Does anyone remember in the beginning of this case is a vehicle was spotted at the lakethe day the girls went missing? And wasn't a man and boy spotted fishing?

Vaguely, I remember that on the day that the family went to the park to look for the girls, they spotted a boy fishing at the lake. They talked with him and maybe he saw the bikes cycling around the lake, and in the direction of the candy store (where a white van was later seen in surveillance video). The white van was identified, and the driver was ruled out. If the girls continued cycling around the lake, not going to the candy store (they weren't seen there), then they would have arrived at the gate. The cyclist must have ridden along within minutes of their disappearance to have seen their bikes, but not them. It's possible that they were in the nearby trees, exploring. It's possible that they met someone with a paddle boat. A paddleboat was in the water at the time the family was searching the park. The paddleboat was identified and ruled out. A vacant house along the shore was loosely associated with the mother of one of the children, but nothing came of it.

The timeline and route for cycling around the park (fishing boy story) is consistent with the location of the bikes (cycling man story), and the home of Elizabeth's good friend (man watering lawn location). A suspicious van was later reportedly parked near the grass section next to the fenced, treed (city water pump station) lot ... between the gate (where their bikes were found) and Elizabeth's friends house (near the lawn watering man's house).

The girls were probably grabbed/attacked/overcome at the lake gate. They were marched through the treed area, and to the van. From there, they were most likely driven to the abandoned nature park twenty miles away, secured 20 feet apart, raped, and murdered.

Are there any similar cases in a 200 mile radius, or did it stop after the other two girls were abducted, one escaped, the suspect shot himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Name Here