Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contacted the GRUNDY COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE and gave them the info of the arrest.
See comments - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ly_comment_id=1459724760721557#f16cf7a1e47d3b

CEDAR FALLS — Cedar Falls and Grundy County authorities are investigating a possible connection between a series of reported child abduction attempts in Cedar Falls and the Dike area.
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cr...cle_aebabca6-c66d-54cb-84a4-be9647d4d250.html

Thank you so much Foxfire! I am stunned that they were unaware of the arrest. In a sense my blinders have been lifted and I am much more aware that WebSleuthers can and do make a difference! :heartbeat:

Contacted the GRUNDY COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE and gave them the info of the arrest.
See comments - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ly_comment_id=1459724760721557#f16cf7a1e47d3b

CEDAR FALLS — Cedar Falls and Grundy County authorities are investigating a possible connection between a series of reported child abduction attempts in Cedar Falls and the Dike area.
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cr...cle_aebabca6-c66d-54cb-84a4-be9647d4d250.html

I had sent an email to Evansdale PD giving them a heads up on this suspect but did not get a reply.

(Call, leave a message, maybe ask to speak to a detective to please make sure someone reads your email.)

I was just thinking of asking you to take a look at this guy. You read my mind! lol! I thought of you and Jessica Ridgeway as I was looking at the map and wondering about this perp's awareness space! :tyou: margarita25

I was just thinking of asking you to take a look at this guy. You read my mind! lol! I thought of you and Jessica Ridgeway as I was looking at the map and wondering about this perp's awareness space! :tyou: margarita25

Looking at the map of those crimes related to where he lives, that certainly looks like a typical awareness space, and Evansdale is on the circle too.

Fwiw
http://www.popcenter.org/learning/60steps/index.cfm?stepNum=16
The paths that people take in their everyday activities and the nodes they inhabit explain risks of victimization as well as patterns of offending. This is why the Brantinghams and other crime pattern theorists pay so much attention to the geographical distribution of crime and the daily rhythm of activity. For example, these researchers generate crime maps for different hours of the day and days of the week, linking specific kinds of crimes to commuter flows, school children being let out, store closing hours, or any other process that moves people among nodes and along paths. Pickpockets and some shoplifters seek crowds, while other offenders pay closer attention to the absence of people. For example, the flow of people to work generates a counterflow of burglars to residential areas, taking advantage of the commuters' absence. The flow of workers home at night and at weekends produces a counterflow a few hours later of burglars targeting commercial and industrial sites.
attachment.php

Kim Rossmo prepared this diagram to represent the Brantinghams' theory. It shows an offender's activity space (residence, work, recreation, and the travel routes between them), the buffer zone close to the home in which offenders do not usually commit crimes, and five potential target areas (for example, parking lots). Where an offender's activity space intersects a target area, this is where crimes happen (crosses). Note that in this example no crimes occur around the offender's workplace, because there are no suitable targets there. Also, there are two target areas with no crimes in them because this offender is not aware of those places.

Attachments

• step_16.gif
    step_16.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 884
He lives in Ankeny, arrested in Onawa, related crimes in Dike and in Grundy County. Onawa is approximately as far from Ankeny as Dike/Grundy/Cedar Falls, about 2.5 hours.

That would lead me to think that Omaha, Iowa City, Mason City, Fort Dodge, among others would be likely places to look for similar crimes.

https://goo.gl/maps/vvzhgrrZD4H2

Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
See comments - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...f16cf7a1e47d3b

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cri...647d4d250.html

I had sent an email to Evansdale PD giving them a heads up on this suspect but did not get a reply.

(Call, leave a message, maybe ask to speak to a detective to please make sure someone reads your email.)

Thank you watwcher9! :heartbeat:

Looking at the map of those crimes related to where he lives, that certainly looks like a typical awareness space, and Evansdale is on the circle too.

Great advice to call and demand to talk to a detective. When I called the Grundy County IA Sheriff's Office last evening, it was sheer luck that I reached the detective working the case. He was very appreciative of the info and we all know the communication issues with jurisdictional linkage blindness... Thank you watcher9...

He lives in Ankeny, arrested in Onawa, related crimes in Dike and in Grundy County. Onawa is approximately as far from Ankeny as Dike/Grundy/Cedar Falls, about 2.5 hours.

That would lead me to think that Omaha, Iowa City, Mason City, Fort Dodge, among others would be likely places to look for similar crimes.

https://goo.gl/maps/vvzhgrrZD4H2

If you search Iowa Courts Online, you'll see he has a ticket for speeding in Webster County in March 2012, just 3.5 months before our girls were taken...Fort Dodge is in Webster County....

Has anyone heard an update on Jeff Lee Altmayer or his hearing?

From your link,
Altmayer appeared in court Thursday, and his bond was set at $50,000, court records show. His next court hearing is scheduled for Nov. 28.

I was unable to get a response from my attempt so if you are inclined, please feel free to contact Evansdale Police Dept and/or Black Hawk Sheriff's office to discuss this perp. You are very good at being able to contact the right people in various cases. I would think by now that every LE in the state are well aware of Jeff Lee Altmayer and are checking through their cases to see if there is a link but sometimes info falls through the cracks.

Hey, guys, I'm so happy to find so many new posts!

I think about the girls so much this time of year.

Is it well-known that there is hunting at Seven Bridges. Would a non-hunter know, in other words? I'm no hunter and was surprised recently to learn that there is hunting permitted in a park I frequent.

If it weren't"t for the hunters, the girls' remains may never have been found. If the perp didn't know about hunting in the area, he may have thought he'd committed the perfect crime.

I just wondered if we should think about a non-hunter, someone who knows Seven Bridges only as a party spot rather that someone who knows it as a hunting spot.

It probably makes no difference, but I have WAY too much time on my hands and these random ideas pop up from time to time!

Hey, guys, I'm so happy to find so many new posts!

I think about the girls so much this time of year.

Is it well-known that there is hunting at Seven Bridges. Would a non-hunter know, in other words? I'm no hunter and was surprised recently to learn that there is hunting permitted in a park I frequent.

If it weren't"t for the hunters, the girls' remains may never have been found. If the perp didn't know about hunting in the area, he may have thought he'd committed the perfect crime.

I just wondered if we should think about a non-hunter, someone who knows Seven Bridges only as a party spot rather that someone who knows it as a hunting spot.

It probably makes no difference, but I have WAY too much time on my hands and these random ideas pop up from time to time!

That's an interesting question.

I know that as someone who has lived in Iowa for 60 years and used to love hiking in the woods, I always checked out what activities were allowed in a given area if I intended to use it in the fall or early winter. The overwhelming majority of hunters are responsible and careful but it only takes one irresponsible or careless hunter to ruin your day or your whole life. I learned that when I was 19, riding my horse in an outdoor arena and came very close to being shot in the head by a shotgun blast. If my horse, who never shied, hadn't shied at that exact instant, it would have been unpleasant, to say the least. To this day I wonder why Martin shied that day because he had been everywhere, done everything and never shied before or after that incident (I had him for over 10 years). How did he know?

If it isn't the common hunting seasons (deer, pheasant, duck), I don't check. There are poachers but they are way more scared of me than I am of them.

Before the girls were found, I did believe that they would most likely be found either by hunters or perhaps by a farmer during the harvest.

My personal feeling is that the perp knew of 7 Bridges because it was a party spot but I really have no way of knowing.

Then again, rationally, Martin had no way to know he should speedily remove us from that one particular spot but he was right. (I miss him so much)

Attachments

• 54d126ab48944.image.jpg
    54d126ab48944.image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 406
Great advice to call and demand to talk to a detective. When I called the Grundy County IA Sheriff's Office last evening, it was sheer luck that I reached the detective working the case. He was very appreciative of the info and we all know the communication issues with jurisdictional linkage blindness... Thank you watcher9...

Missing you Foxfire!
Fox's last post on this thread.
:goldstar::goldstar::goldstar::goldstar::goldstar:

Hello friends, its been awhile. My heart and soul is still with this case. Waiting.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95