Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please share your opinion.

The only big issue I have, and I have by no means microanalyzed every bit of psychology in this case, I take exception to the HUGE coincidence of the court date being the next day or whatever.

That is a key for motive for me - outside of a sexual one.

(Back to banging my head. ..)

Respectfully asked: can you explain why the court date seems significant to you?

Has LE ever disclosed the cause of death? Also, you would think if the killer took the time to either kill or dump them where they were found, he would have taken the time to try to conceal the bodies to prevent discovery. MOO

As a lifelong Iowan, I have a general opinion on that.

The place the girls were found would have been what we call 'Iowa jungle' in the summer, with plant growth about 6 to 7 feet tall. Those plants are mostly varieties of grass and their interlocked roots form a mat that can be as thick as 15 feet deep in areas that have never been plowed. Digging through those mats of roots is difficult and takes a lot of time, involving not just a spade but usually a pickaxe and a machete. On a hot, humid summer day.

However, where they were left formed its own concealment. It is not a heavily trafficked park. In the summer, the heavy vegetation would have completely surrounded the bodies and even held in the odour of decomposition. A person would have to almost step on a body in order to find it in such areas and there are just not that many people in the park in any month.

As it was, LE said at the time that had the hunters gone just 5 feet to the left or right, they would not have found the bodies.

The cause of death has not been released.

Is this they type of boxy white SUV vehicle that police are looking for in connection with the abduction and murder of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook?

On the day that the girls were abducted, a vehicle similar to this was spotted on Arbutus near Lake Avenue, and next to the trees on the East edge of Meyer's Lake Park in Evansdale; a leech infested lake filled with household appliances and debris. How could anyone think that the girls were swimming in that lake? Surely the girls, and everyone else, knew better.

Maybe someone in Waterloo or Evansdale has a relative with a vehicle like this ... someone with this particular vehicle could be an important witness to the abduction of the girls.

It looks a bit like a short-bed Chev double seater truck with a camper top on the back. How many people in Evansdale and Waterloo bought a camper top for their short-back double seater Chev in the three years prior to the murder ... or maybe 5, just to be on the safe side? There's can't be that many.

Actually, that looks more like a Suburban to me. Like a pick up with the shell incorporated into the rest of the body panels on the assembly line.

HA! I see by the photobucket URL that it is indeed a Suburban!

Is this they type of boxy white SUV vehicle that police are looking for in connection with the abduction and murder of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook?

On the day that the girls were abducted, a vehicle similar to this was spotted on Arbutus near Lake Avenue, and next to the trees on the East edge of Meyer's Lake Park in Evansdale; a leech infested lake filled with household appliances and debris. How could anyone think that the girls were swimming in that lake? Surely the girls, and everyone else, knew better.

Maybe someone in Waterloo or Evansdale has a relative with a vehicle like this ... someone with this particular vehicle could be an important witness to the abduction of the girls.

It looks a bit like a short-bed Chev double seater truck with a camper top on the back. How many people in Evansdale and Waterloo bought a camper top for their short-back double seater Chev in the three years prior to the murder ... or maybe 5, just to be on the safe side? There's can't be that many.
Where did you get the description for the SUV? When I think of a boxy SUV...my first thought would be a Ford Explorer or similar. Not a truck.

'wI, too, am touched by this case. This is near my hometown and it is distressing to see a similar missing case receive the same preconceived investigation of 'who done it' as the Lyon sisters.These are both heart-breaking cases without an iota of evidence to aid identifying the perpetrator/s.

I'm concerned that this case will follow the path of the Lyon sisters because the local law enforcement is unprepared to provide the 'door-to-door' investigation necessary to gather the 'eyewitness' leads to produce a plausible scenario to follow.

I have nothing to give them but advice on what 'not' to do--don't let up on the public requests for witnesses. The Lyon sisters case has been hung for four decades because the Lyon family has insisted on 'No Publicity' to protect their family's privacy. That it both a protection for them and a curse on the girl's case. PUBLICITY is the only recourse to solicit witness and informant leads. And the Lyon's refused.

I suspect near unanimity by those involved that the cousins were victims of a drug culture retaliation to silence any testimony. The timing of their disappearance is coincidental but who would be so stupid as to kill the hostage prevent exposure?

I, on the other hand, am struck by three slivers of evidence that only make sense if connected. The first is their grandmother's comment on their bikes found at the pond--"they never rode their bikes so far away!" And the second, the video of them on their bikes as they passed by, with one in the lead, racing ahead and the other lagging behind. The third, is their bikes were found at the park with personal items nearby.

Were they just taken by being in the wrong place at the right time! Total coincidence?

Or just followed and grabbed by the bad guys for whatever purpose? Anybody?

Or were they taken by prearranged agreement with the wrong person/s? Unintended!

Having grown up in in Iowa, I'd put my chips on the last one...

I'd ask their teenage girlfriends to help by asking--did either have an interest in any boy say 14 to 19 or with a brother of that age?

It's the unasked questions without answers that need to to be asked in both cases that are the keys to their resolution.

There are no unsolved crimes! There are only unsolved cases where a witness has't been asked, "What do you know?

'wI, too, am touched by this case. This is near my hometown and it is distressing to see a similar missing case receive the same preconceived investigation of 'who done it' as the Lyon sisters.These are both heart-breaking cases without an iota of evidence to aid identifying the perpetrator/s.

I'm concerned that this case will follow the path of the Lyon sisters because the local law enforcement is unprepared to provide the 'door-to-door' investigation necessary to gather the 'eyewitness' leads to produce a plausible scenario to follow.

I have nothing to give them but advice on what 'not' to do--don't let up on the public requests for witnesses. The Lyon sisters case has been hung for four decades because the Lyon family has insisted on 'No Publicity' to protect their family's privacy. That it both a protection for them and a curse on the girl's case. PUBLICITY is the only recourse to solicit witness and informant leads. And the Lyon's refused.

I suspect near unanimity by those involved that the cousins were victims of a drug culture retaliation to silence any testimony. The timing of their disappearance is coincidental but who would be so stupid as to kill the hostage prevent exposure?

I, on the other hand, am struck by three slivers of evidence that only make sense if connected. The first is their grandmother's comment on their bikes found at the pond--"they never rode their bikes so far away!" And the second, the video of them on their bikes as they passed by, with one in the lead, racing ahead and the other lagging behind. The third, is their bikes were found at the park with personal items nearby.

Were they just taken by being in the wrong place at the right time! Total coincidence?

Or were they taken by prearranged agreement with the wrong person/s? Unintended!

I'd ask their teenage girlfriends to help by asking--did either have an interest in any boy say 14 to 19 or with a brother of that age?

It's the unasked questions without answers that need to to be asked in both cases that are the keys to their resolution.

There are no unsolved crimes! There are only unsolved cases where a witness has't been asked, "What do you know?

I can't think of any reason that someone would abduct and murder two young girls except for the obvious reason: a sexual predator who saw an opportunity. I'm inclined to believe that the girls had contact with their abductor prior to their arrival at the drainage ditch. It's possible that they spoke with him when he was parked along Arbutus - that he told them there was something special at the drainage ditch, so they went to explore. Maybe he moved his vehicle closer to the trees after suggesting that the girls go to the drainage pipe gate. Perhaps he first had contact with them at the shopping mall, and then spoke with them again on Arbutus.

I remember early on people mentioned that Meyer's Lake was a place where they went for lunch on a work day. Maybe the abductor routinely had lunch in that area, and saw the opportunity. There was also a lot of construction going on with the highway at the time of the abduction, although a migrant construction worker wouldn't necessarily know about Maiden Lane and 7 Bridges Park.

"investigators from the Evansdale Police Department and the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation traveled to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Virginia ... “Every single person in the room at the National Center remarked on the importance of Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in this investigation,” said Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock. “Elizabeth and Lyric’s remains were found in the Seven Bridges area.”

“Seven Bridges is extremely remote and you must know it is there to get there. We have no doubt the person or persons responsible for this crime are very familiar with Seven Bridges,” Smock said."

February 3, 2015
http://whotv.com/2015/02/03/evansdale-police-seven-bridges-wildlife-area-key-to-cousins-murder-case/

I believe that certain witnesses were wrong but I don't ascribe it to evil motivation.

It has been well established that eyewitness testimony is not very accurate. The less the eyewitness knows about the incident (the identities of the people involved, etc), the more inaccurate their testimony is likely to be. Accuracy also degrades with time, with an amazingly sharp drop-off in just 3 days; even delays as little as 4 hours show significant degradation.

Most significantly, the individual's certainty in their recall tends to rise with time, rather than reflecting the reality that their accuracy is degrading. Just the act of recounting an event to someone else is enough to raise the witness's certainty in the accuracy of their recall, even if their recounting had significant errors in it (there have been all sorts of studies utilising videotape to study this).

It seems to me that in any crime, it is important to divide the leads into two broad categories: those that are highly accurate and those known not to be highly accurate. Things like DNA, videotape and fingerprints go into the first category and any theory of the crime must account for all the highly accurate elements.

Things like eyewitness testimony, polygraphs (don't get me started), fibre and hair evidence, blood spatter analysis, etc, all of which have been well proven not to be reliably accurate should go into the second category. In coming up with a theory of the crime, I think it is important to drop various elements out of this second grouping as a way of checking the theory of the crime. Is the theory of the crime still possible if this first category 2 lead is dropped? What if the second is dropped? Etc.

In general I agree with everything you said, and it's certainly true that the eyewitness account that bothers me might fall into the category of inadvertent error. As I said, I'm probably just being too suspicious.

I thought this might be of interest to some, as we have mentioned Johnny Gosch on this thread:

For many local viewers, the film’s most poignant stretch will be when Noreen visits the family of Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, the young cousins who went missing from Evansdale, Iowa, in July 2012. Their bodies would be found in December that year, but Noreen spoke to the family while the girls were still missing.

http://www.omaha.com/go/film-chroni...248-5252-5062-a8c9-ccbcf9f9c7d0.html?mode=jqm

By the way, it is nice to have Otto joining us again! JMO

Do you have a theory on the Lyons case and this one being linked?

Thank you to everyone for their excellent posts. For some reason, my thanks function will only work on some.

It's hard to believe this case is nearing the three-year anniversary and very sad there are still no answers.

These are just a few theories in response to some of the posts above.

- perp aged 40-65, who works part-time or is retired and self-employed, works outdoors, but didn't work July 13 due to the hot temperatures. The perp may use equipment used to carry heavy materials, but not motorized. Other people in the perp's life would not find their absence suspicious, due to them working their own hours and could explain their absence quite easily for any given time.

- the bodies being approx. 50 ft. apart possibly because they were put there at night and rolled down the hill and as Grainne has told us, the grass is so long in the summer, the perp was unable to see exactly where the first body landed.

- the purse found on the lake side possibly because perp walked each bike down Maiden Lane and didn't realize purse fell off the handle bar and threw it, but didn't make it over the fence to the trail side.

- perp lives in EC's neighbourhood, watched the girls for quite some time, as they passed perp's home on their bikes on many occasions and got friendly with the girls by waving.

- the lure, a cold drink on that hot day

The above theories and IMO.

-

BBM
The Evansdale Nature Trail does not end at the parking lot, and it's really not possible to see someone with any clarity at the drainage pipe when standing at the parking lot.

The cyclist was at the drainage gate when the girls were between Brovan and Gilbert. It's not possible for them to be at Brovan at 12:23 and have parked bikes at the gate at 12:27. The cyclist statement has been excluded by police.

The Evansdale Nature Trail continues South, across Gilbert (not near Elmer), and would take the children directly to the drainage gate on the South side of the lake. They would not be seen at Elmer and Gilbert, or on Lake Ave. There would be no reason for them to turn off the Evansdale Nature trail if they were going to the drainage gate on the trail.

I have a map of the actual trail which should clarify - will post later this afternoon.

Sorry, I've been out of town for the 4th so catching up. According to google maps, the Evansdale Nature Trail most certainly ends right at the parking lot...which shows Elmer Ave. I don't see the trail continuing on next to Elmer back into Evansdale. If you could re-post the zoomed in map of the trail around Meyer's Lake, that would be great as I have zero map skills when it comes to putting them in a post. Thanks!

I don't see why it's so unrealistic for the girls to turn off of the Evansdale Nature Trail onto Gilbert - especially if someone told them to meet at Meyer's Lake. Why would the girls assume to continue on the trail to the drainage gate? We've already determined that VERY few people even knew Maiden Lane existed - let alone these children. So where would you go at Meyer's Lake to "meet"? Naturally, the parking lot. If they are coming down the nature trail towards the gate - they would turn right at Gilbert - and would go right by Mr. Carpenter's house. Gilbert intersects Elmer which is where they were spotted, and if you follow Elmer it goes right to the lake.

I guess I don't see why that is not a viable possibility. It makes more sense to me when it comes to accounting all of the various sightings - confirmed by LE or not. And I don't agree that they are necessarily "excluding" Mr. Gamerdinger's sighting, nor Mr. Carpenter's. They simply aren't confirming it during PR's. They haven't named ANYONE'S sighting as confirmed. They simply said they had "confirmed sightings" and listed the locations.

I truly feel they have the names and exact times of more than one person who can place those girls at different locations along whatever route they took - they just aren't going to name them in the media.

Maybe this link will work - make sure you are on Satellite view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4616404,-92.2922112,398m/data=!3m1!1e3

You can see where the Evansdale Nature Trail wraps back around the side of the lake, straight to the parking lot at Elmer.

It does appear the trail may also meet up at Gilbert, off the curve of the lake - and there is a Gilbert Drive Trail that runs right along Gilbert.

If you pan over and follow the Gilbert Drive Trail - it actually intersects with with the Evansdale Nature Trail right at the corner of the Phil Muehl Municipal Skate Park. So they wouldn't even have to be on an actual street. They can follow Evansdale Trail to Gilbert Drive trail from Layfayette all the way to Meyer's Lake and never even have to stop if no cars were coming at the crossroads of only the Evansdale Trail portion.

Also - just to clarify and stick to facts:

"He placed each of them in a shallow ditch in an area where the water levels rise enough to place the area where bones were found under water. Fortunately, their bones had not been scattered by a high river."

Their remains were not clarified as "bones", nor were they found in a ditch of any sort, nor were they found under water. If I missed confirmation that their remains were indeed bones, please correct me. For all we know, the bodies could have been wrapped up in small tarps, dismembered, or even kept for any length of time before disposal. We just don't know, as far as I can recollect. And due to the extreme drought that year, the water levels were exceptionally low, leaving that riverbed fully exposed, where it normally may raise to.

Yes, the area is well concealed due to the deep vegetation, but it's not a ditch at all. It's a flat stretch of land that meets the bend of the river. When I was there I can assure you that a quad could make it back there - it may take maneuvering around the trees, unless they literally followed the walking path to the curve of the river and THEN decided to enter the deep vegetation and dump.

Also-again, this is not correct:
"On the day that the girls were abducted, a vehicle similar to this was spotted on Arbutus near Lake Avenue, and next to the trees on the East edge of Meyer's Lake Park in Evansdale; a leech infested lake filled with household appliances and debris. How could anyone think that the girls were swimming in that lake? Surely the girls, and everyone else, knew better."

I believe you are confusing Meyer's Lake with Seven Bridges. Meyer's Lake isn't leech "infested" nor are there ANY appliances or debris. The appliances that I mentioned in my videos were at Seven Bridges, not Meyer's Lake. The lake is a beautiful area - surrounded by very nice homes. They certainly aren't doing this huge beautification project around a place where people just randomly dump unwanted appliances and debris. At Seven Bridges? Yes. But not at Meyer's Lake.
And as far as the leech "infestation" goes, I challenge you to find ANY lake in Iowa that doesn't have leeches. But to say it's leech "infested" is a gross mis-classification of the lake itself. It's not a cesspool body of water. It's a man made lake that is apt to have leeches, just as any murky bottom lake you're going to find here. Leeches actually prefer slower-moving bodies of fresh water as a habitat.

I promise I'm not picking on anyone - I am just finding that the longer this case goes along, opinions and assumptions are almost being portrayed as facts.

I'm not saying AT ALL that my ideas of what COULD have happened are any more realistic than another posters. I just want to make sure that what little we DO know stays straight...which sadly, isn't squat.

I just can't believe that in 6 days it will be 3 years and no resolution. :gaah:

Where did you get the description for the SUV? When I think of a boxy SUV...my first thought would be a Ford Explorer or similar. Not a truck.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/22671327/2013/06/24/evansdale

SBM:
Authorities on Monday morning said they have three separate witnesses who say they saw a white, older-model, full-size SUV-type vehicle -- similar to a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Bronco

IMO this description released by LE, causes conflict and confusion. Full size SUV and Suburban to me are almost conflicting terms. To me, an SUV is an SUV...not a Surburban. A Surburban is clearly much larger than a full size SUV, but obviously the witnesses weren't able to determine with certainty which the vehicle was. I can see a Suburban and a truck with a topper being confused though.

Another theory I have thought about is outdoor work being done in WC's neighbourhood in Waterloo.

The perp may have become familiar to LC working in the neighbourhood. WC and LC left the Waterloo residence a few days a week to help HC in Evansdale.

Did the perp follow WC and observe the girls' routine in Evansdale, i.e. the bike rides.

A question for Grainne: How long could the girls' scent last at Meyers Lake? Could their scent still be picked up from them being there a couple of days before? Thank you Grainne.

IMO

Also - just to clarify and stick to facts:

"He placed each of them in a shallow ditch in an area where the water levels rise enough to place the area where bones were found under water. Fortunately, their bones had not been scattered by a high river."

Their remains were not clarified as "bones", nor were they found in a ditch of any sort, nor were they found under water. If I missed confirmation that their remains were indeed bones, please correct me. For all we know, the bodies could have been wrapped up in small tarps, dismembered, or even kept for any length of time before disposal. We just don't know, as far as I can recollect. And due to the extreme drought that year, the water levels were exceptionally low, leaving that riverbed fully exposed, where it normally may raise to.

Yes, the area is well concealed due to the deep vegetation, but it's not a ditch at all. It's a flat stretch of land that meets the bend of the river. When I was there I can assure you that a quad could make it back there - it may take maneuvering around the trees, unless they literally followed the walking path to the curve of the river and THEN decided to enter the deep vegetation and dump.

Also-again, this is not correct:
"On the day that the girls were abducted, a vehicle similar to this was spotted on Arbutus near Lake Avenue, and next to the trees on the East edge of Meyer's Lake Park in Evansdale; a leech infested lake filled with household appliances and debris. How could anyone think that the girls were swimming in that lake? Surely the girls, and everyone else, knew better."

I believe you are confusing Meyer's Lake with Seven Bridges. Meyer's Lake isn't leech "infested" nor are there ANY appliances or debris. The appliances that I mentioned in my videos were at Seven Bridges, not Meyer's Lake. The lake is a beautiful area - surrounded by very nice homes. They certainly aren't doing this huge beautification project around a place where people just randomly dump unwanted appliances and debris. At Seven Bridges? Yes. But not at Meyer's Lake.
And as far as the leech "infestation" goes, I challenge you to find ANY lake in Iowa that doesn't have leeches. But to say it's leech "infested" is a gross mis-classification of the lake itself. It's not a cesspool body of water. It's a man made lake that is apt to have leeches, just as any murky bottom lake you're going to find here. Leeches actually prefer slower-moving bodies of fresh water as a habitat.

I promise I'm not picking on anyone - I am just finding that the longer this case goes along, opinions and assumptions are almost being portrayed as facts.

I'm not saying AT ALL that my ideas of what COULD have happened are any more realistic than another posters. I just want to make sure that what little we DO know stays straight...which sadly, isn't squat.

I just can't believe that in 6 days it will be 3 years and no resolution. :gaah:

I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate all that you do concerning this case. The very detailed information you provide us is very enlightening and helpful.

Yes, it is hard to believe its been almost three years with no suspect arrested for murdering these two girls.:(

But I learned to never give up hope. I almost did that on the Taylor Placker and Skyla Whitaker OK murder case when they were found murdered by the side of the road not far from Taylor's home. It went unsolved for several years just like this one. Sadly and so tragically it took the murderer killing another victim before all three cases were solved. If he had not murdered his girlfriend, I don't think that case would have ever been solved either.

I hope another tragedy doesn't happen in order for this one to be solved.

Keep up the great work. :)

IMO

Sorry, I've been out of town for the 4th so catching up. According to google maps, the Evansdale Nature Trail most certainly ends right at the parking lot...which shows Elmer Ave. I don't see the trail continuing on next to Elmer back into Evansdale. If you could re-post the zoomed in map of the trail around Meyer's Lake, that would be great as I have zero map skills when it comes to putting them in a post. Thanks!

I don't see why it's so unrealistic for the girls to turn off of the Evansdale Nature Trail onto Gilbert - especially if someone told them to meet at Meyer's Lake. Why would the girls assume to continue on the trail to the drainage gate? We've already determined that VERY few people even knew Maiden Lane existed - let alone these children. So where would you go at Meyer's Lake to "meet"? Naturally, the parking lot. If they are coming down the nature trail towards the gate - they would turn right at Gilbert - and would go right by Mr. Carpenter's house. Gilbert intersects Elmer which is where they were spotted, and if you follow Elmer it goes right to the lake.

I guess I don't see why that is not a viable possibility. It makes more sense to me when it comes to accounting all of the various sightings - confirmed by LE or not. And I don't agree that they are necessarily "excluding" Mr. Gamerdinger's sighting, nor Mr. Carpenter's. They simply aren't confirming it during PR's. They haven't named ANYONE'S sighting as confirmed. They simply said they had "confirmed sightings" and listed the locations.

I truly feel they have the names and exact times of more than one person who can place those girls at different locations along whatever route they took - they just aren't going to name them in the media.

I agree with everything you posted!

Feel free to make fun of my horrible mapping skills (Otto is by far the best "mapper" I've seen around here!), but here is a link you can copy into your browser that shows how Elmer meets the Meyer's Lake parking lot.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...2!3m1!1s0x87e54defa91a9aab:0x96499a7573a63f70

If you click the "forward" arrow as far as you can go, off to the right you can see where the trail meets the parking lot. It appears there is a bench, with a garbage can next to it along the trail there.

I'm going to do some more "map walking" to see more about this Gilbert Drive Trail...not sure if it's really a "trail" or more or less sidewalks. On Google Maps it identifies it as a trail though...

Here are two screen shots showing where the nature trail meets up at Gilbert - from the back side of the lake...not towards the parking lot area. This intersection is further down from the parking lot.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...2!3m1!1s0x87e54defa91a9aab:0x96499a7573a63f70

And here is a shot of where Elmer meets Gilbert.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.464...4!1sX3S_8RjtePUyyW4c76PNmg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you pan just to the right of this last link, you can see that the Gilbert Drive Trail is clearly marked as a biking trail, and not just a sidewalk...the bicycle sign is visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89