IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"At this point, because they're being harassed so badly, they've been advised by an attorney to stop doing any polygraph tests, to not talk to the media anymore... they've been advised to not talk to the police," Brousseau said.

"They have accused (Dan Morrissey.) They said they have evidence. Well we all know if that was the truth they'd already have Dan locked up."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120719/NEWS/120719019/1001/news/?odyssey=nav|head

This reminds me of the '48 Hours' shows where LE lies and says they have the evidence against someone trying to get them to confess. I know LE can say anything they want to but I can see if the dad isnt guilty and being accused of this it would be highly upsetting.

Mark Lunsford was highly upset with LE when they were concentrating on his parents rather than out looking for who really had kidnapped Jessica.

imo

Looks like the parents have been advised by attorney not to speak/take any further poly tests. What does this mean?:waitasec:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_8e1533ec-d128-11e1-af57-0019bb2963f4.html

That they talked to their lawyer or lawyers and were advised not to speak or take any more polygraphs.

Since they have both had legal problems, it's not too surprising to find out they have a lawyer or lawyers. And no lawyer worth anything is going to say "go ahead, keep talking, keep on taking polygraphs!"

Beyond that, I have no idea what it means.

It appears that the FBI may have interrogated Dan again last night:

Federal Bureau of Investigation agents last night again interrogated Dan Morrissey about his involvement in the girls' disappearance, Brousseau said. Agents started beating at the door of a hotel room the family had checked out in an attempt to get some rest, she said.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...19/1001/news/?odyssey=nav|head&nclick_check=1

If what the family is saying is true about LE's treatment of DM, then I think it's safe to say that they aren't just focusing on the lake and a possible drowning.

I feel for LE in these cases because there are very few clues as to what happened; however, I don't know how browbeating the parents (if that's what LE is doing) is going to help find them.

Even if DM were to confess to something, it would probably be easy to throw out later as a coerced confession.

Another thing LE said that I find extremely baffling was that all RSO were "cleared" (and that was within the first 24-48 hours of them missing, I believe in one of the first press releases by BHCS).

How can that be possible in such a short time frame? I find it extremely hard to believe that LE was able to not only question, but VERIFY close to 240 RSO's alibi's in less than 48 hours.

However...if they had no reason to believe it was abduction they really wouldn't have had to verify anything. :waitasec:

If you look at the map of RSOs in that area, there are 8, two are pedophiles, and there are three on the same street, Marshall Ave, which is between downtown and the lake.

Looks like the parents have been advised by attorney not to speak/take any further poly tests. What does this mean?:waitasec:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_8e1533ec-d128-11e1-af57-0019bb2963f4.html

thanks for the heads up. I hope the families hired this attorney and it is not just a talking head giving his or her opinion on what the parents should be doing.

and I see I'm not the only one who thinks this.....

from link ===
Cook also expressed some frustration with the Evansdale Police Department's continued focus on the Meyers Lake, from the first hours through the end of day six.

"They insisted they were at the lake.

If what the family is saying is true about LE's treatment of DM, then I think it's safe to say that they aren't just focusing on the lake and a possible drowning.

I feel for LE in these cases because there are very few clues as to what happened; however, I don't know how browbeating the parents (if that's what LE is doing) is going to help find them.

Even if DM were to confess to something, it would probably be easy to throw out later as a coerced confession.

If the girls went into the lake voluntarily, they would have removed their shoes and left those on shore.

Ok… somewhat new here again…. And I am have been on and off of here so someone may have brought this subject up before…
The thing that just hit me like a ton of bricks is….
How dry is it up in that area??? Although I do realize that we do still have a few ignorant people in this world that water their lawns in the middle and the hottest time of the day… But a middle age to older gentleman would know not to water his lawn at that time…. Just seams odd to me.

Bingo! Exactly my thinking as well. When you water at the hottest part of the day, most of it evaporates before it gets to the roots and the person holding the water hose gets a sunburn!

I've wondered if the most likely abductor might be someone who lives or works within eyesight of the lake. Perfect set-up for sitting back and waiting until the perfect circumstances...two little girls alone and no one else around to see you take them. If anyone sees you just act normal and no one knows the difference, after all, you belong there, it's your neighborhood!
:moo:

"At this point, because they're being harassed so badly, they've been advised by an attorney to stop doing any polygraph tests, to not talk to the media anymore... they've been advised to not talk to the police," Brousseau said.

"They have accused (Dan Morrissey.) They said they have evidence. Well we all know if that was the truth they'd already have Dan locked up."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120719/NEWS/120719019/1001/news/?odyssey=nav|head

I must say, LE is using interrogation techniques and strategies here and I totally get it, but even so, were it me facing those sorts of techniques and strategies about my missing child - I would be hiring an attorney pronto as well.

Think what you will, say what you must about cooperating with authorities, understanding that it is part of the investigative process, etc etc. If someone accuses me of killing the child I have asked them to help me find and further tries to tell me they have evidence of same when I know damn well I have not done what they are accusing me of - I would be a fool NOT to seek legal advice. Period.

hitting thanks was just not enough. I have been cringing at the amount of public appearances this family has been making, and thought they should have had a lawyer from the get-go. Cooperate, yes. Cooperate without legal representation? NO NO NO.

Great point. Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten how serious DCS is or can be.

Would six feet of water really be a problem? I could see if they were going down 50'... So if one flies to a vacation spot, they should not use the hotel pool for 24 hours after arriving or before departing?

If the girls went into the lake voluntarily, they would have removed their shoes and left those on shore.

One would think so. The girls I know around that age wouldn't jump into a lake without their swimsuits on either which would mean their clothes and shoes would be removed first.

If you look at the map of RSOs in that area, there are 8, two are pedophiles, and there are three on the same street, Marshall Ave, which is between downtown and the lake.

but there are over 200 in waterloo which would put them in a 10 mile radius

I must say, LE is using interrogation techniques and strategies here and I totally get it, but even so, were it me facing those sorts of techniques and strategies about my missing child - I would be hiring an attorney pronto as well.

Think what you will, say what you must about cooperating with authorities, understanding that it is part of the investigative process, etc etc. If someone accuses me of killing the child I have asked them to help me find and further tries to tell me they have evidence of same when I know damn well I have not done what they are accusing me of - I would be a fool NOT to seek legal advice. Period.

I completely understand your statement. I may react the same way. And I totally understand why Dan would storm out as well. I have always said that I would do the same if anyone ever questioned me like that. Hour after hour of "we know it's you", thinking in your mind minute by precious minute that police are SO INCOMPETENT that they haven't found a lead and have nothing to go on (and therefore focus on you).
Feeling as if they are wasting precious time grilling the parents - and giving the abductor/perp even more lead time. I may just snap and storm out as well. Simply because YOU KNOW they are wasting time on a fruitless effort.

Is this often required or even seen in other states? I thought it was one of those "crazy Californian" things but I could be wrong. (I do live in CA so yes I'm calling myself crazy too)

In Maryland, helmets are mandatory for bike riders up to 16, and for all motorcycle riders. Strangely, however, scooters (the electric or gas "moped" style) seem to be exempt, and do not even require a drivers' license to operate.

I'm so far behind... this thread is moving fast! (awesome if it helps the girls) When did Grandma say they didn't know the way to the lake? I thought before I saw she said they wouldn't go that far but it seems like they'd know the way there?

If you look at the map, the lake is the only thing to the South of the city, other than the freeway, so the girls would likely know the way, if you follow the river, you get to the lake.

To me it seems odd that they would rush to the lake unless they had specific information about that....there is a river that borders the whole area....why not rush there??

Ollipop...I have to disagree with you on Waterloo's perspective...i lived 25 yrs in Cf (born, went to school and college there) and move to Waterloo 25 yrs ago because the houses were cheaper(we were a young family looking to buy) CF definately has it's nose slightly in the air when it comes to Waterloo, but Waterloo from what I have seen doesn't feel that way about Evansdale. Infact I think there may be a tiny bit of jealousy that for being basically "attached" to Waterloo, Evansdale has held on to it's small town charm and low crime that we do not have in Waterloo...not only that, for the most part children in Evansdale go to elementary and middle school in Evansdale and then high school in Waterloo. So many of the teen from Waterloo have friends in Evansdale and vice versa.

I certainly appreciate your view, and totally understand it. My opinion is based on having lived in CF while in school, west of CF in a rural area, and now in Evansdale. I think I lived in Waterloo for a total of maybe 6 mos of 10ish years in the area, so my interpretation of what W'loo "thinks" of E'dale is obviously limited. I do know that for years I told people I lived in CF and never noticed a reaction. Nowadays, when I mention I live in E'dale, there is a palpable cringe from some. I work part-time in a bar in W'loo, much closer to CF than to E'dale, and I get that reaction consistently.

Something else my wife and I discussed recently: We'd mentioned to in-laws who have moved out of E'dale in the last few years that our kids were walking around the block and playing outside, they were shocked that we'd let our kids play outdoors, unsupervised, in Evansdale, as if it was dangerous. We laughed and mentioned that a girl from Evansdale had recently been shot, in the street, in the town where they'd moved, in broad daylight, I think. (Jesup, IA - small town to the east). The point was that bad things happen anywhere and everywhere, and the best you can do is be prepared and teach your children how to be prepared. Sheltering them isn't going to teach them how to respond in moments of danger or stress. Of course, now we feel foolish, and our yard has not been played in for a week, our kids bikes have not left the garage, and they haven't ventured outdoors unless accompanied buy us. Sigh.

Federal Bureau of Investigation agents last night again interrogated Dan Morrissey about his involvement in the girls' disappearance, Brousseau said. Agents started beating at the door of a hotel room the family had checked out in an attempt to get some rest, she said.

It does appear that DM and MCM are being targeted. After all, they confiscated computers and searched the attic where MCM was living, but no mention of them doing this at the Collins residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025