IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the Cedar River specifically, but in the Midwest rivers tend to be polluted due to farm runoff and stuff. Swimming is normally done in lakes, if that was the intent.

Are these sort of accusations normal? Intense interrogations I understand, but at this point in the game do they out and out accuse parents to try and get information out of them? Just trying to understand what is going on.

During a taped police interview, all tactics are possible. Yes, to outright accuse someone is a valid tactic. The father was no stranger to the police, so surely they have talked to him before, and I would not expect him to have a sunny disposition towards LEO, and I would expect their respect was mutual. To directly accuse in a somewhat heated manner would be a way for the accused to slip up, since even a good liar has to work harder under pressure.

I don't know about the Cedar River specifically, but in the Midwest rivers tend to be polluted due to farm runoff and stuff. Swimming is normally done in lakes, if that was the intent.

there is some swimming in the Cedar River in some areas where people pontoon boat and such. there are quite a few sand bars and sandy river bottom, but those are mostly the northern part of the river (Cedar Falls/Shellrock) There are a few lakes for swimming but Meyers Lake is a no swimming lake and pretty much everyone in the area knows that.

If the girls went into the lake voluntarily, they would have removed their shoes and left those on shore.

Normally, I would agree with that, but now that I'm older and live in a lake community, I always wear some kind of shoes when I go in the lake just because it's gross and mucky on the bottom.
Now when I was a kid and we had a summer house on a lake, I never cared about what the bottom felt like, but even still my kids always wear those swim shoes in the water because you never know what you might step on.

One would think so. The girls I know around that age wouldn't jump into a lake without their swimsuits on either which would mean their clothes and shoes would be removed first.

this really add nothing to the case, but brought back a memory of me & my best friend. the summer we were 12 we jumped in a lake off a dock running full speed ahead fully clothed, shoes & all. & it was a blast.

such a fun innocent time in one's life to play & be silly & enjoy summer.
sigh, i so hope these girls are ok.

Normally, I would agree with that, but now that I'm older and live in a lake community, I always wear some kind of shoes when I go in the lake just because it's gross and mucky on the bottom.
Now when I was a kid and we had a summer house on a lake, I never cared about what the bottom felt like, but even still my kids always wear those swim shoes in the water because you never know what you might step on.

I agree... i might wear shoes too, but def not flip flops! they would get sucked into the mud too easily

IMO I would NOT lawyer up if I had nothing to hide. I have been on here sticking up for Misty and this pains me to hear.

Not that I've ever heard about. I can't find anyone who's ever witnessed a person in the water there. I can remember occasionally seeing a fishing boat out on the lake, but its rare.

The thing with that lake is that it is shallow by the shore, it very gradually slopes from anywhere you can approach the water easily, and that gradual slope is muddy. My kids are 9 & 4, I have no problem with them approaching the water's edge (except it smells and is green and murky and gross) and falling in, because even laying down 3 ft into the water they'd likely not go under the surface. It would take several muddy steps for me to get out deep enough to get my hair wet, obviously much less for children, but as the lake has drained, the shoreline has been revealed, and we haven't heard of any prints or disturbances of the bottom anywhere near the shore, which I would think would be all but impossible to avoid in order to get to a deeper spot.

One local resident interviewed in The Des Moines Register said that there are leeches in the lake.

Is this common knowledge?

http://www.DesMoinesRegister.com/ar...tigators-bring-dogs-search-missing-Iowa-girls

Because I've been following these cases for so many years, I know I'd have lawyered up before I even took the polygraphs just so I could have one sitting with me. I'd still take the polygraph(maybe) and answer LE questions, but you can bet your sweet behind, I'm not going down for something I had nothing to do with because some small town cops want to solve a case quickly.

There are lots of good reasons, all of which are eloquently stated in this video:

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube
Well, I can't take almost an hour to watch this video that you post to me, do you have some bullet points that you can share instead?

It's always been my opinion that I would always cooperate and answer any and all questions any LE has for me no matter the situation.

(The original point of my post was that I didn't think they HIRED an attorney. I think that some attorney is giving them random free advice. My second sentence "If you have nothing to hide, why should anyone stop talking or taking poly's?" was my own personal thought. I guess I should have said IMO, JMO, MOO as every time I don't someone jumps all over me.)

I do realize that HC has some health issues, and I believe I read to they are at an undisclosed location...but is it known if they have obtained a lawyer or been advised by one? Is anyone speaking on their behalf?? ......it may just be me, but I sense a disconnect of sorts between the couples.

Being a member of WS has forced me to, painfully, reflect on what I would do if my child went missing. I honestly believe that if, God forbid, my girl was taken, I would be so desperate and feel so helpless, I would throw myself willingly at the police. I would do whatever they said, blindly, without any thought of future repercussions or accusations. I sincerely believe I would allow them to strap me to a chair and pull out my fingernails, if I thought it would convince them I knew nothing and make them refocus their attention on the real perp. Rationally, logically, I know that this is not the smart thing to do, but my need to have ANY and ALL help from people who may be able to bring her home would be so overwhelming that my own welfare would become a moot point. However, I have not had any previous run-ins with LE so I cannot say how I would feel if past interactions had left me with a bad taste in my mouth or with a less than steller impression of LE's competence. Eventually, if she were not found safely soon, I may start to doubt their ability, especially if they continued to focus their attention on me (and I knew I was innocent), but it would take time for me to hire a lawyer. While I agree from a purely objective stance that hiring a lawyer in these cases is a smart thing to do, I have to say, it does cast doubt in my mind.

That being said, I don't think, from the surface, mom or dad had anything to do with the girls' disappearance. I think the police are doing what they need to in order to rule them out. And, I think that the parents alerting MSM to their past legal troubles speaks volumes about their desire to bring the girls home safely.

I also think that in these cases the parents feel so unequipped to handle the situation that they begin taking advice from well-meaning relatives and friends telling them that the police have no right to do such and such and that they need representation. I think at this point the parents are floundering, looking for anything to hold on to, and hiring a lawyer may not have been their initial instinct.

The less you say to police, the better off you are. They may be caught making inconsistent statements or may have failed some part of their polygraph tests. Or the police, could just really be focused on the parents due to their criminal histories and they are playing the statistics.

Good point. But I would assume these kids were wearing tennis shoes or sandals when riding a bike; I would expect a girl would not want a dressy sandal to get wet and muddy, and a sandal would come off the foot instantly in mud. Riding a bike with wet/muddy tennis shoes is not fun.

Boys would go in with shoes and socks on , but girls would not want to get their shoes wet. Overall, I kind of doubt they went in the lake, with clothes on....this was not a sandy-bottom lake, but a mucky bottom lake.

The big issue in my mind is that the downtown, where they were spotted, is a considerable distance from the lake, so on a very hot day that is too far for a young girl to ride a bike.

The parents of one of two Iowa cousins missing for nearly a week have consulted an attorney amid fears that investigators are targeting them due to their criminal records, an aunt of both girls said Thursday.
Tammy Brousseau told The Associated Press that Misty and Dan Morrissey, parents of 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey, are being treated as suspects. Both have spent time in prison, mostly for drug charges, according to court records reviewed by AP.
She said the attorney the family consulted had advised the parents to stop talking to the media and giving polygraph exams, though she said she's not aware that either had failed one.
Brousseau said one male family member briefly walked out of a police interview in frustration earlier this week. While she didn't identify the man, the girls' grandmother Wylma Cook told The Des Moines Register it was Dan Morrissey, who was upset after police accused him of killing the cousins.
"They've been cooperating with the police 100 percent, but because police don't have a silver Cadillac that tore off with the kids, they don't have no leads," Brousseau said.
Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben said Wednesday he's not sure why Dan Morrissey feels like a suspect.
"I haven't talked to him so I don't know why he feels that way," he said Wednesday. "We expect 100 percent cooperation from everyone."
When asked if authorities have any reason to suspect family members, he replied: "We have no reason to go that route at this time they have been very cooperative with us."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...IUu9sw?docId=bef8f243028f4bef8cfd3a5a8bd13ff2

bbm:

it is Aunt Tammy telling the reporters this stuff... The police are saying differently

I think right now it would be a good idea for the family to perhaps get a spokesperson that is neutral to the situation.

I personally don't think the attorney bit means anything but these reports with Tammy saying things are not going to help in the long run imhoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thecovert