IA IA - Elizabeth Collins & Lyric Cook - Found Deceased - Evansdale - 13 Jul 2012 #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
In Memory of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook

20270787_BG1.jpg

"Our hearts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those precious little girls. The Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office pledges vigilance in our pursuit of those responsible and will extend every resource to concluding this case so that justice may prevail."
-Black Hawk County Sheriff Tony Thompson

Posted by the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office - December 10, 2012
Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office
UPDATE: Authorities dig through trash in search for Lyric and Elizabeth
http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/evansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls

Remembering Elizabeth and Lyric 4 years later

December 5, 2016

Four years later and still looking for answers.

On this day, four years ago, the bodies of murdered Evansdale cousins Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins were found at the Seven Bridges Wildlife Park in Bremer County. The discoveries came five months after the girls were first reported missing near Meyers Lake in Evansdale.

Despite countless leads, no arrests have been made yet in the girls' murders.

[...]

There is a substantial reward money being offered for anyone with information that leads to an arrest. Please share what you know with the Evansdale Police Department or Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers.

Media Maps & Timeline Thread

Scanner Thread

Case Map by poster hollye

Amandareckonwith's case archive

Thread #37
Thread #38

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

Linking to random podcasts or promoting personal websites is not allowed.

Also, sleuthing of random individuals who are not officially named by LE to be a POI or suspect is not allowed.

Have LE ever said they retrieved unknown DNA, from the girl's bikes or Elizabeth's purse and its contents? TIA

KCRG local news published a story on the 10th anniversary in July which provided this quote from Law Enforcement. Law Enforcement have not revealed anything publicly specifically about what forensic evidence they have or do not have:

“Time creates advances in technology, things that we’re able to do now that weren’t necessarily able to do back in 2012,” Reger said. He added private companies and labs have offered up new technology to help develop leads in the case. Reger would not elaborate on what type of technology.”

Have LE ever said they retrieved unknown DNA, from the girl's bikes or Elizabeth's purse and it's contents? TIA
As far as I know, investigators have always declined to say exactly what DNA evidence they have, if any, citing the need to protect the integrity of the investigation. Articles have clearly specified that investigators won't say whether DNA was recovered from their bodies; discussion of what was swabbed or recovered from their belongings has never been mentioned at all, to my knowledge. See this article: Investigators hope to decide next week whether Klunder involved in Evansdale murders

We don't want to reveal information that jeopardizes our investigation,” he said.

Investigators have kept secret whether DNA evidence was found with Elizabeth's and Lyric's bodies.

When investigators have worked to rule people out in this case (such as Michael Klunder), they will not say exactly what means they are using to do that and whether or not DNA is part of that process (see same link above).

However, investigators have also released recent statements referencing DNA like this:
Jason Ellison, a detective with the Bremer County Sheriff’s Office, joined the investigation in 2017. He said that investigators are "constantly evaluating what resources we could apply to assist our case."

"DNA technology along with forensic genealogy and electronic forensics have come a long way in the last three years or so," Ellison said. "So it's an exciting time in law enforcement for agencies that have
cases similar to this, where it's kind of that endurance investigation, and we're waiting for some technology or new information that will help us push the case forward."

Source: 'This case is not ... gathering dust': Investigation continues 10 years after Evansdale girls were killed

So I would ask, why even mention DNA technology or forensic genealogy in this context if there's absolutely no DNA and those methods don't apply at all to this crime? I would guess from these statements that investigators have something to work with, even if partial or degraded. However, that still doesn't answer the question of where the DNA might have been recovered from, IF it exists.

As far as I know, investigators have always declined to say exactly what DNA evidence they have, if any, citing the need to protect the integrity of the investigation. Articles have clearly specified that investigators won't say whether DNA was recovered from their bodies; discussion of what was swabbed or recovered from their belongings has never been mentioned at all, to my knowledge. See this article: Investigators hope to decide next week whether Klunder involved in Evansdale murders

We don't want to reveal information that jeopardizes our investigation,” he said.

Investigators have kept secret whether DNA evidence was found with Elizabeth's and Lyric's bodies.

When investigators have worked to rule people out in this case (such as Michael Klunder), they will not say exactly what means they are using to do that and whether or not DNA is part of that process (see same link above).

However, investigators have also released recent statements referencing DNA like this:
Jason Ellison, a detective with the Bremer County Sheriff’s Office, joined the investigation in 2017. He said that investigators are "constantly evaluating what resources we could apply to assist our case."

"DNA technology along with forensic genealogy and electronic forensics have come a long way in the last three years or so," Ellison said. "So it's an exciting time in law enforcement for agencies that have
cases similar to this, where it's kind of that endurance investigation, and we're waiting for some technology or new information that will help us push the case forward."

Source: 'This case is not ... gathering dust': Investigation continues 10 years after Evansdale girls were killed

So I would ask, why even mention DNA technology or forensic genealogy in this context if there's absolutely no DNA and those methods don't apply at all to this crime? I would guess from these statements that investigators have something to work with, even if partial or degraded. However, that still doesn't answer the question of where the DNA might have been recovered from, IF it exists.
Thanks Yemelyan, that was very helpful. I agree that's it seems they probably have some unknown DNA from somewhere, be it the girl's remains or items.

In August of 2017, ISP 1st Sgt Holeman stated in an interview that they contacted LE in Iowa for a possible connection to the Delphi murders and he stated they didn't find one. We've since learned that ISP and Carroll County have DNA in the Delphi case. So IF there is DNA recovered here I have to believe LE in both jurisdictions looked for a match between the two.

In August of 2017, ISP 1st Sgt Holeman stated in an interview that they contacted LE in Iowa for a possible connection to the Delphi murders and he stated they didn't find one. We've since learned that ISP and Carroll County have DNA in the Delphi case. So IF there is DNA recovered here I have to believe LE in both jurisdictions looked for a match between the two.
Lord let's hope so! I'm sure they have. Right? Right...? Ha. Just kidding (sort of).
I really hope the coward who killed these 2 innocent kids is found soon, I cant imagine their parents' grief.

10 years after Evansdale case, investigators inching closer to justice

A few lines, RSBM, that made my ears perk up

“Time creates advances in technology, things that we’re able to do now that weren’t necessarily able to do back in 2012,” Reger said. He added private companies and labs have offered up new technology to help develop leads in the case. Reger would not elaborate on what type of technology.“

AND

“In 2014, Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock ruled Klunder out as a suspect in the Evansdale case.

Reger did not rule him out, or in.

“Michael Klunder was a specific, that the timing of him being within nine months of this and the call to rule him out . . . those are decisions that were made by the investigators that had more to say than I would right now,” Reger said. “It would be inappropriate for us to comment on ruling in and ruling out, which I know is super frustrating.”

Woah so Klunder wasn’t officially ruled out? Just one investigator ruled him out? Am I reading that right?
An entire investigative team was assigned to figure out if Klunder could have done it. This article is very informative: Police: Klunder didn't kidnap Evansdale cousins

Smock would not discuss specifics on what the team did to investigate Klunder, but he did say the team "spent a great deal of time looking into his whereabouts on July 13." The team also analyzed information and ran tests, Smock said.

"We were running into dead ends with everything we were looking for," Smock said. Authorities determined Klunder was not in Evansdale on July 13 and was not involved in the girls' disappearance or killing. Police believe Klunder was in or near his home in Stratford when the Evansdale girls disappeared, Smock said.

"We never close the door fully, but we're very comfortable saying we're no longer interested in looking at him," Smock said.

Edit to say: Given the information in the above article, it is difficult to know if Reger is backtracking and saying "we now think Klunder could have been involved" or if he's just employing the same conservative strategy as, say, the Delphi investigators and refusing to "officially" rule people in or out.

Last edited:
An entire investigative team was assigned to figure out if Klunder could have done it. This article is very informative: Police: Klunder didn't kidnap Evansdale cousins

Smock would not discuss specifics on what the team did to investigate Klunder, but he did say the team "spent a great deal of time looking into his whereabouts on July 13." The team also analyzed information and ran tests, Smock said.

"We were running into dead ends with everything we were looking for," Smock said. Authorities determined Klunder was not in Evansdale on July 13 and was not involved in the girls' disappearance or killing. Police believe Klunder was in or near his home in Stratford when the Evansdale girls disappeared, Smock said.

"We never close the door fully, but we're very comfortable saying we're no longer interested in looking at him," Smock said.

Edit to say: Given the information in the above article, it is difficult to know if Reger is backtracking and saying "we now think Klunder could have been involved" or if he's just employing the same conservative strategy as, say, the Delphi investigators and refusing to "officially" rule people in or out.
Re: Edit
Yes, exactly!

Okay, I was thinking they were pretty confident he wasn’t involved but was confused by the latest phrasing. Makes more sense that they just don’t clear people, but no longer look at people when they’re not involved.

With the arrest of Richard Allen for the Delphi murders of Libby & Abby, many are still wondering if there is a connection to the murders of Elizabeth & Lyric - as well as other unsolved murders/crimes in the area over several decades.

RA’s daughter graduated High School in 2013 so it is quite possible that the family was looking at colleges over the Summer of 2012. Does anyone know if he may have been in the Evansdale area for this purpose at the time of the murders?

Another case that raises my suspicion is Jorden Sopher. Jorden (18 y/o) disappeared from Wabash, IN in May 2006 and her remains were found in a wooded area in Peru, IN in may 2009. At the time of Jorden’s disappearance, RA was living in Mexico, IN which is 17 mi from Wabash. Peru lies between the two towns, slightly south, and is only 5.6 mi from Mexico.

With the arrest of Richard Allen for the Delphi murders of Libby & Abby, many are still wondering if there is a connection to the murders of Elizabeth & Lyric - as well as other unsolved murders/crimes in the area over several decades.

RA’s daughter graduated High School in 2013 so it is quite possible that the family was looking at colleges over the Summer of 2012. Does anyone know if he may have been in the Evansdale area for this purpose at the time of the murders?

Another case that raises my suspicion is Jorden Sopher. Jorden (18 y/o) disappeared from Wabash, IN in May 2006 and her remains were found in a wooded area in Peru, IN in may 2009. At the time of Jorden’s disappearance, RA was living in Mexico, IN which is 17 mi from Wabash. Peru lies between the two towns, slightly south, and is only 5.6 mi from Mexico.
I'm especially curious about the Sopher case...

The place where Elizabeth's and Lyric's bodies were found would be almost impossible to locate for someone not familiar with the area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back