IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For long time followers of this ancient case, it is pretty remarkable what just happened yesterday. A licensed PI working the case went public with news that a case insider recently confessed a dark, long-held secret to him that could blow the case open. And the PI has taken the confessed info to LE.

Either the PI is blowing smoke, or local LE is corrupt, or the case may finally actually be resolved.

Last edited:
For long time followers of this ancient case, it is pretty remarkable what just happened yesterday. A licensed PI working the case went public with news that a case insider recently confessed a dark, long-held secret to him that could blow the case open. And the PI has taken the confessed info to LE.

Either the PI is blowing smoke, or local LE is corrupt, or the case may finally actually be resolved.
Perhaps reward funds could be used, in part, for attorney representation & immunity deal. I hope this witness is under protection. Killer will know who this is- if still alive. Mo

This is what the fam of Don Lewis is doing. They raised funding for free legal representation for the person who knows the info needed to bring justice in his murder after 23 years.

Wondering what if any specific change has happened recently for that person with a secret to come forward now?
-The person the case insider they feared /or was protecting, is now deceased or seriously ill?
-The case insider (C.I.) is now very elderly, sick or became religious?
-The C.I. is now estranged from someone whose secret they have been keeping , or they did not want that person to know what they knew ?
- Someone who had a clandestine affair/romance with JH but was married and/or worked for the same company or the competition?
-The C.I. is now in a position of authority or respect and no longer worries they will be seen as a guilty party?
-That person is already in jail and has nothing to lose?
-Now in a position to profit in some way from telling the truth?

Speculation, imo. for now.

Wondering what if any specific change has happened recently for that person with a secret to come forward now?
-The person the case insider they feared /or was protecting, is now deceased or seriously ill?
-The C.I. is now estranged from someone whose secret they have been keeping , or they did not want that person to know what they knew ?
- Someone who had a clandestine affair/romance with JH but was married and/or worked for the same company or the competition?
-The C.I. is now in a position of authority or respect and no longer worries they will be seen as a guilty party?

I’m guessing divorce or guilt. Investigation pretty much went cold but for the findjodi site & occasional article or anniversary. But with this new PI starting from scratch & reinterviewing & stirring things up, maybe regrets became bigger than fear of criminal charges- or of the killer himself. No idea, but that’s what I’m hoping.

Perhaps chatter here - prompted by the recent rediscovery of the Miata - about the seeming hinky nature of the Miata transaction may have spooked someone who'd had a hand in facilitating the transaction and may have misrepresented some element of it to investigators back in '95.

Do you have a link with this information?

Thinking it's 2, 3, or a combination of 2 and 3.

ETA:. What motivation would the PI have to "blow smoke", **if** that were the case? Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thinking it's 2, 3, or a combination of 2 and 3.

ETA:. What motivation would the PI have to "blow smoke", **if** that were the case? Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
I'm reluctant to criticize the PI, Mr. Ridge, because I admire a private citizen trying to help. And without pay. The cops didn't get 'er done, so why not us private citizens. However, in the KWWL interview posted last night, before it was edited down from 17 minutes to 1 minute, it contained a section in which the KWWL interviewer said something along the lines (not verbatim) of the following: 'I'm going to be very direct here - virtually everyone I talked to about you says I should not speak with you. But that just makes me want more to speak with you.' Ouch. Mr. Ridge took that blow with a smile. The suggestion was that there are those (LE?) who don't think Mr. Ridge is credible. So #1 - the PI blowing smoke and nothing will come of all this - seems like a plausible outcome. Yeah, I wouldn't know why he'd do that, either. But I think there's a good chance that nothing comes of this.... But also a fair chance Mr. Ridge plays a role in bringing the case to a close. Much hoping for the latter.

Spouse of killer?

Angela Johnson, Honken's partner in crime? She was certainly in a volatile and dangerous situation hanging with Honken after 5 murders.

A co-worker of Jodi's?

Whoever it is that supposedly 'confessed' to Ridge about having destroyed evidence in the case was, according to Ridge, interviewed by police one or more times in the wake of Jodi's disappearance.

Who all was interviewed by police at the time?
JV
Ani Kruse
Amy Kuhns
Key Apts. residents who heard screams, someone knocking at Jodi's door, etc.
Key Apts. manager, w/ access to Jodi's unit and perhaps to evidence?
Dealer involved with Miata transaction?
The seller of the Miata?
Who else?....

And then which of these may have found themselves in a dangerous and precarious situation after Jodi's disappearance?

Gettin' interesting!

If Ridge is holding onto info in the event that a grand jury convenes, does that mean that we could rule out Honken? He’s deceased.

Sounds like pretty specific evidence, what might it be - a weapon, a letter, dna, clothing, a photo, a recording- what else could be ''destroyed''?
speculation, imo.
Independent investigator claims big discovery in disappearance of Jodi Huisentruit
Sep 22, 2020 rbbm.
This person found themselves in a very volatile and extremely dangerous situation. Unfortunately, the evidence that they destroyed might have led to a timely arrest and conviction,” says Ridge. “This person told me that they have lived their entire life in fear having carried this dark secret for twenty-five agonizing years.”

“This information is so sensitive that it needs to be reserved for the secrecy of a potential grand jury,” says Ridge.''

Mr. Ridge took that blow with a smile. The suggestion was that there are those (LE?) who don't think Mr. Ridge is credible. So #1 - the PI blowing smoke and nothing will come of all this - seems like a plausible outcome. .

I think some people close to the investigation and perhaps on the Find Jodi website soured on Mr. Ridge. The thinking was along the lines of grandstanding and making it about him, perhaps for selfish gains. Anyone asking questions about a cold case is bound to ruffle some feathers. I'm glad to see some movement in the case. I am skeptical that the Mason City Police will respond though. I think the Police could have handled this case better. MOO

Hi all, long time lurker. Watched the “Up and Vanished” episode from February with this new Steve Ridge info in mind. It seems all arrows point to LW as the source who recently snapped. I recommend the rewatch.

Compare LW from the Frozen Truth podcast to LW in UaV when she is being grilled on the details of her story — a staggering difference (the host found conflicting accounts that suggested she was lying and she freaked out). We now know she might have been hiding something far more sinister...

So what really happened?

Something often overlooked in public discourse around this case is the timeline. What happened the night before? We know that Jodi was seen at the Golf Club as late as 8:00pm. We know that Jodi had a verified call from her apartment at 8:24pm. According to JVS, Jodi came over to watch a videotape that night. There are approximately 10 minutes of travel time from the golf club to Jodi's apartment. If we believe JVS, Jodi spent about 5-7 minutes watching the videotape— and then hurried home and called her close friend immediately upon arriving. Yes Jodi could have gone to JVS house after the phone call, around 9, but this would be reckless given her early call time. So JVS is likely lying about the night before. Watch the “Disappeared” episode on Jodi. A MCPD officer expresses heavy doubt on JVS account of this night.

So Jodi likely blew JVS off that night. And this wasn’t the first time. Was this enough for JVS to snap?

Having seen the videotape of Jodi's bright day party, I say so. To go a step further, let’s say there were in fact beer cans in the sink and the toilet seat was up and the bed was made as is often claimed...did Jodi blow off JVS for another man that night?

If we go with this theory, we understand why someone heard a banging outside Jodi's door “Jodi I know you’re in there” and why the suspect waited an hour for Jodi outside.

Back to LW. I believe from the Frozen Truth podcast that she was indeed close friends with JVS. So we can imagine that in all likelihood, JVS had been talking to LW nonstop about Jodi in the preceding weeks and venting his frustrations. On "that morning", LW got a piece of evidence. Knowing the oddities of JVS, he probably handed her some item of Jodi's or some "prize". And also a threat to not tell anyone or she would end up the same. We can surmise that LW has feared for her life since then, and perhaps feels guilt for not speaking up. Perhaps she encouraged JVS...

Just a theory for y'all -- as you were...

Hi all, long time lurker. Watched the “Up and Vanished” episode from February with this new Steve Ridge info in mind. It seems all arrows point to LW as the source who recently snapped. I recommend the rewatch.

Compare LW from the Frozen Truth podcast to LW in UaV when she is being grilled on the details of her story — a staggering difference (the host found conflicting accounts that suggested she was lying and she freaked out). We now know she might have been hiding something far more sinister...

So what really happened?

Something often overlooked in public discourse around this case is the timeline. What happened the night before? We know that Jodi was seen at the Golf Club as late as 8:00pm. We know that Jodi had a verified call from her apartment at 8:24pm. According to JVS, Jodi came over to watch a videotape that night. There are approximately 10 minutes of travel time from the golf club to Jodi's apartment. If we believe JVS, Jodi spent about 5-7 minutes watching the videotape— and then hurried home and called her close friend immediately upon arriving. Yes Jodi could have gone to JVS house after the phone call, around 9, but this would be reckless given her early call time. So JVS is likely lying about the night before. Watch the “Disappeared” episode on Jodi. A MCPD officer expresses heavy doubt on JVS account of this night.

So Jodi likely blew JVS off that night. And this wasn’t the first time. Was this enough for JVS to snap?

Having seen the videotape of Jodi's bright day party, I say so. To go a step further, let’s say there were in fact beer cans in the sink and the toilet seat was up and the bed was made as is often claimed...did Jodi blow off JVS for another man that night?

If we go with this theory, we understand why someone heard a banging outside Jodi's door “Jodi I know you’re in there” and why the suspect waited an hour for Jodi outside.

Back to LW. I believe from the Frozen Truth podcast that she was indeed close friends with JVS. So we can imagine that in all likelihood, JVS had been talking to LW nonstop about Jodi in the preceding weeks and venting his frustrations. On "that morning", LW got a piece of evidence. Knowing the oddities of JVS, he probably handed her some item of Jodi's or some "prize". And also a threat to not tell anyone or she would end up the same. We can surmise that LW has feared for her life since then, and perhaps feels guilt for not speaking up. Perhaps she encouraged JVS...

Welcome to WS @leftalonetowonder! Great post. I’ll go back & watch as you suggest. Sure has bugged me for years, the lack of justice. I really hope the “new info” leads to an arrest.

So what really happened?

Nice post. On 48 Hours taped in 2018 LW still totally has her one time friend JV's back. She cries for him, what happened to him in the public eye, the injustice. She looks completely relaxed

Here is link. FindJodi

It gets interesting at around 23:30 in, where the seller of the Miata is discussed (strangely, the vid locks up there for me, obscuring comments of the son of the dealer who facilitated the Miata transaction, and won't come back up until the topic has changed to LW (does it lock up there for y'all too?!). PI Steve Ridge says someone harboring a dark secret has recently confessed to hiding or destroying evidence that might have helped break the case. Based on the 48 Hours interview of LW, I for one find it very very hard to believe it is LW to whom Ridge refers. She absolutely appears to be very open and hiding nothing. If it is her, she deserves the Oscar for best female actress, and JV the Oscar for best male actor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back