IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have given this case great thought since watching the program on Oxygen recently and this is what I think happened. JV invited Jodi to watch the birthday party video the night before Jodi was abducted: I think the nexus between them being together to watch that video and her abduction the next morning is significant.

There is a reason the FBI considers JV a suspect after watching that video. First of all Jodi was bubbly with a very outgoing and friendly personality: you can see how much fun she and John were having: you could even describe her as flirtatious that evening. I would imagine to her way of thinking her behavior was not flirtatious because she considered him a good friend and she believed she convinced JV that is all it would ever be; she believed he accepted that.

I believe JV misinterpreted her outgoing friendly and bubbly personality as her having feelings for him. In that video one of the things that struck me was the way JV lifted her up: his hands were all over her legs and butt and he lifted her up in an extremely almost intimate manner. He lifted her up like he owned her. The FBI person also mentioned something about that as well. The FBI person who viewed the video also described JV as looking "evil" when he watched her with other people on that video. I believe the FBI person described that John was watching her all night when she was with other people, in a way that demonstrated her did not like it.

I think that finally after months of yearning for her affection and realizing finally she was never going to return his affection in the way he yearned for, he lost it: he snapped: he went over toher apartment that morning, abducted and murdered her. I think his lady friend (whose name escapes me), isn't telling the truth (or she is telling only partial truth), and she is in denial.

People keep looking for complex reasons and strange people and situations to try and figure out who abducted her when it really appears to be much more simple: unrequited love and jealousy.

Of course I could be wrong- but that is my deep feelings about this case. JV now apparently has Alzheimer's and the truth may be out reach now: he will never admit it and by now who know how his mind is working----

I pray they find her body but I don't think that will ever happen.
I completely agree.

I have given this case great thought since watching the program on Oxygen recently and this is what I think happened. JV invited Jodi to watch the birthday party video the night before Jodi was abducted: I think the nexus between them being together to watch that video and her abduction the next morning is significant.

There is a reason the FBI considers JV a suspect after watching that video. First of all Jodi was bubbly with a very outgoing and friendly personality: you can see how much fun she and John were having: you could even describe her as flirtatious that evening. I would imagine to her way of thinking her behavior was not flirtatious because she considered him a good friend and she believed she convinced JV that is all it would ever be; she believed he accepted that.

I believe JV misinterpreted her outgoing friendly and bubbly personality as her having feelings for him. In that video one of the things that struck me was the way JV lifted her up: his hands were all over her legs and butt and he lifted her up in an extremely almost intimate manner. He lifted her up like he owned her. The FBI person also mentioned something about that as well. The FBI person who viewed the video also described JV as looking "evil" when he watched her with other people on that video. I believe the FBI person described that John was watching her all night when she was with other people, in a way that demonstrated her did not like it.

I think that finally after months of yearning for her affection and realizing finally she was never going to return his affection in the way he yearned for, he lost it: he snapped: he went over to her apartment that morning, abducted and murdered her. I think his lady friend (whose name escapes me), isn't telling the truth (or she is telling only partial truth), and she is in denial.

People keep looking for complex reasons and strange people and situations to try and figure out who abducted her when it really appears to be much more simple: unrequited love and jealousy.

Of course I could be wrong- but that is my deep feelings about this case. JV now apparently has Alzheimer's and the truth may be out reach now: he will never admit it and by now who know how his mind is working----

The fact that the PD still have him as the prime suspect means that they are quite convinced it was he, and they definitely have more information on him than they are letting on.

Why do you think LaDonna would lie, though? I wonder if there was a sort of love triangle involving her, JV and Jodi, which perhaps JV was "at the centre of" and Jodi didn't know about, but was accidentally "trespassing" on (from LaDonna's point of view)? If so that would have given her a motive to at least support JV in what he did, let alone the possibility of her somehow being involved (if only to provide him with an alibi).

I doubt AS (the anonymous informant/farmer's initials, I believe) was involved - to keep a secret between three for so long is very unlikely, especially without a vested interest, and also with the blame of LaDonna (and by extension JV) on him. However, on the question of where the body was hidden, AS claimed JV knew where he worked (presumably the locations of the oil wells he worked at). In that case JV may have disposed of her body in one of them (how many were there?) which would also implicate AS moreso than JV if her body was ever found.

What was marital/relational status at the time? I assume he was a bachelor but LaDonna insisted he was dating a friend of hers. If she wasn't lying then what sorta girlfriend/wife would allow their guy to party with three young women and become so intimate with Jodi?

I googled this case and found something i thought was interesting: can't recall if this was discussed on the Oxygen program. When they went into Jodi's apartment they found the toilet seat up-- that is really bizarre considering she lived alone. Women don't keep toilet seats up- what to make of that? The morning of her abduction was very out of the ordinary: first of all she didn't show up to work on time so she was called by her colleagues and she said she was running late---did she have male company? of course she didn't want to say that so she said she was just running late- if she had male company, could that have been JV who decided to pay her a
visit after spending time with Jodi the night before to show her the birthday video he had taken ?

Perhaps JV expressed to her his real feelings and Jodi rejected his advances and he lost it. It is obvious there was a struggle near her
car.

I googled this case and found something i thought was interesting: can't recall if this was discussed on the Oxygen program. When they went into Jodi's apartment they found the toilet seat up-- that is really bizarre considering she lived alone. Women don't keep toilet seats up- what to make of that? The morning of her abduction was very out of the ordinary: first of all she didn't show up to work on time so she was called by her colleagues and she said she was running late---did she have male company? of course she didn't want to say that so she said she was just running late- if she had male company, could that have been JV who decided to pay her a
visit after spending time with Jodi the night before to show her the birthday video he had taken ?

Perhaps JV expressed to her his real feelings and Jodi rejected his advances and he lost it. It is obvious there was a struggle near her
car.

Wouldn't she have appeared to be agitated on the call if she did have company? Also, I came across a suggestion with regards to the seat - perhaps she lifted it before vomiting from a hangover during the night?

I don't think she would have appeared agitated if John was there---but you do make a good point about her having a hang over- perhaps that is why she was late for work-- she could have lifted
the seat to vomit but i wonder if they would have found vomitus around the toilet if that were the case---

The fact that the PD still have him as the prime suspect means that they are quite convinced it was he, and they definitely have more information on him than they are letting on.

Why do you think LaDonna would lie, though? I wonder if there was a sort of love triangle involving her, JV and Jodi, which perhaps JV was "at the centre of" and Jodi didn't know about, but was accidentally "trespassing" on (from LaDonna's point of view)? If so that would have given her a motive to at least support JV in what he did, let alone the possibility of her somehow being involved (if only to provide him with an alibi).

I doubt AS (the anonymous informant/farmer's initials, I believe) was involved - to keep a secret between three for so long is very unlikely, especially without a vested interest, and also with the blame of LaDonna (and by extension JV) on him. However, on the question of where the body was hidden, AS claimed JV knew where he worked (presumably the locations of the oil wells he worked at). In that case JV may have disposed of her body in one of them (how many were there?) which would also implicate AS moreso than JV if her body was ever found.
If LD is lying... she either had romantic interest in JV or was friends with someone else who did. She could have told the lie initially to cover for JV, but maintained the lie over the years to save face. In a small fishbowl town in the midwest, she’d be subjected to harsh criticism, whispers, judgement, ostracism, etc., if she came clean after all these years. If she has something to come clean about- idk.

I’m not sure about the coworker & farmer dude on “Up & Vanished”- their stories about JV align. LD testimony/timeline conflicts with theirs as she recounts her “walk” w JV that morning. She states farmer dude was obsessed w Jodi & he’s lying. But why would the coworker- who would for sure be cognizant of news broadcast time- lie?

Sometimes the most striking part of these interviews is how uncomfortable EVERYONE seems in talking about this case. It’s worse than family members bringing up politics at Thanksgiving. What are they all afraid of twenty-five years later?! Do they all still live in Mason City? Jmo

I think that finally after months of yearning for her affection and realizing finally she was never going to return his affection in the way he yearned for, he lost it: he snapped: he went over toher apartment that morning, abducted and murdered her. I think his lady friend (whose name escapes me), isn't telling the truth (or she is telling only partial truth), and she is in denial.

100 percent agree with you on this. I too hope there will be closure but with his access to a boat...sadly doubtful.

100 percent agree with you on this. I too hope there will be closure but with his access to a boat...sadly doubtful.

It saddens me to think we may never know who was really involved in this. We all have our ideas about who it may be but we most likely will never know for sure: i feel most sad for her family. I think her mother passed away.

Here's the link to the Up & Vanished show by Payne Lindsey.

Some interesting parts here. I've since read that JV has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I wonder why there wasn't a full disclosure of that in the program when they go to JV's residence. OR did they find evidence that he did not have Alzheimer's?

Some interesting parts here. I've since read that JV has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I wonder why there wasn't a full disclosure of that in the program when they go to JV's residence. OR did they find evidence that he did not have Alzheimer's?

The last information i saw in an article was that a detective stated that JV had Alzheimer's so i am inclined to believe he does--

The last information i saw in an article was that a detective stated that JV had Alzheimer's so i am inclined to believe he does--
I thought for sure I read it. My concern is that the Oxygen program was going good till the end and then it flew off the rails. I believe I read where JV's wife is now legally his representative, so the person who shows up at JV's residence is talking to the person representing JV. If that was his wife. It appears he either did a very poor job of research and didn't realize he was speaking JV's representative or it was intentionally omitted leading to biased reporting. Neither of those are good. The reporter losing his temper didn't help matters either.

I saw some folks discussing this on social media this morning, and I came here to see if it had come up. I know when Jerry Burns was originally arrested, there were some questions/speculation, but this article raises a few more questions, IMO.

Jerry Burns shows little reaction when accused of killing Michelle Martinko

Denlinger, who taped the December 2018 interview with a small covert camera placed on his coffee cup, told Burns his name had come up in the cold case.

“Strange,” Burns said.

He said he remembered the Martinko case from the news when it happened. He also remembered seeing reports on Jodi Huisentruit, a news anchor for KIMT-TV in Mason City who went missing in 1995 and has never been found.

Denlinger never mentioned Huisentruit.

Of course, finding the body anywhere doesn't prove who did it.

Of course, finding the body anywhere doesn't prove who did it.

Correct, but my point was that locations are incriminating. If, for example, her body was found in a deep section of water then suspicion would immediately fall on JV, since he is the only (?) suspect with a boat. If it was found in the oil wells then AS (and perhaps JV) would appear to be the perpetrator(s).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back