IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, my name is Tyler Brunner and I'm currently working on a podcast that talks in length about the Jodi Huisentruit case. My family lives in Riceville, which is about an hour from Mason City, and my mother remembers the case vividly. Is there anyone that would know anyone that was apart of the case in 1995 or has any ties to investigators, homicide caseworkers, or anyone of the like? Thanks and I hope to find some items here to use in my podcast!

This is great news!! JH's sister, JoAnn Nathe would be a good one to contact. She lives in Sauk Centre, MN.

The Iowa attorney general's office isn't mentioned on Wikipedia:
Jodi Huisentruit - Wikipedia

The FBI, the Mason City Police Department, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and MAIS's investigators are all still actively working on Huisentruit's disappearance and the television show Nancy Grace: America's Missing spotlighted her case on February 23, 2011, and again on December 6, 2013. [22][23]

In May 2015, all 100 members of the Iowa State House of Representatives signed a letter asking for the City of Mason City to declare June 27, 2015, as Jodi Huisentruit Day in honor of her memory and that of all victims in unsolved cases.

In December 2016, retiring Iowa State Representative John Kooiker of Sioux County, Iowa, described his experience with the case as a member of the Iowa State House Public Safety Committee and suggested a cover-up by Mason City officials. His opinion piece was published in The N'West Iowa Review.[24]

In March 2017, a search warrant was executed against person of interest John Vansice seeking GPS data for two of his vehicles. [25]

As of 2019, Huisentruit has not been found, neither have remains ever been identified as hers.
As far as remains go, is the Evans Preserve area concealed enough for someone to have taken her there? If so, was GPR or any thing else done to search that area. The culprit may have been in a hurry and took her to an area close by such as this. Also, isn't it true that some of these killers like to place their victims in an area that they can see when they drive by? Could that area be such an area?

Hello again! I just wanted to share with all of you my trailer for my upcoming podcast, Lost and Found! I hope you all come back and listen to every episode, which will be streaming on Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Podbean! It would mean the world to me if you shared this podcast with your friends and family so that the story of Jodi continues to be shared and loved by everyone who listens! Lost and Found Trailer

I've never heard any mention of who she was dating. Even dateline didn't mention that. I've heard of married guys pretending to be single. Sometimes the lady he's dating doesn't find out the difference for months.
Why would anyone want to murder her? Was she having an affair with a married man?

Info below is from a timeline that Feldhaus did an excellent job putting together on Vansice. I’m able to share a few minor things but there are some that he made me promise not too as well which I have to keep.
—————————————————————————————
DATE: February 1996
EVENT: John VanSice demonstrates how he strangled Jodi

While drinking in a Clear Lake bar VanSice approaches a young woman from behind, places his hands around her neck as if to strangle her and says, "that's how I did Jodi". He then laughs.
———————————————————————-
DATE: Late Spring 1996
EVENT: VanSice's again incriminates himself

While drinking in a Mason City bar VanSice remarks, "we won't have trouble with Jodi this Summer".
Jodi Sue Huisentruit (born June 5, 1968 – declared legally dead May 2001) was a television news anchor for KIMT, based in Mason City, Iowa, in the United States. She went missing in the early morning hours of June 27, 1995, soon after telling a colleague that she was on her way to work. As there were signs of a struggle outside her apartment, she is believed to have been abducted, but extensive investigations have failed to uncover any clues to her disappearance.

On the day before she disappeared, Huisentruit participated in a golf tournament and, according to Mason City resident John Vansice, she went to his home to view a video tape of the birthday party that he had arranged for her earlier in the month.[4]

At about 4:00 am on Tuesday, June 27, 1995, KIMT producer Amy Kuns noted that Huisentruit had failed to report to work as scheduled, so she called Huisentruit's apartment. Huisentruit answered the telephone, explained that she had overslept, and said she was preparing to leave for the station. By 6:00 am, however, she had still not arrived, and Kuns filled in for her on the morning show Daybreak. At about 7:00 am, KIMT staff called the Mason City police.[5]

When police arrived at Huisentruit's apartment they found her red Mazda Miata in the parking lot, as well as evidence suggesting there had been a struggle near that car. Among other evidence, Huisentruit's personal items, including a bent car key,[6] were found strewn about the area and police reported recovering an unidentified palm print from her car.[7][8] (Wikipedia)
I wonder if the palm print came out clear enough to match it to someone? If anyone else ever used her golf clubs, perhaps a matching print could be there. Where would you advise them to look next for her?

From what I've read JV moved to Arizona and has lived there for some time. I read an article in the media a year or so ago stating JV was working in loss prevention for a grocery chain. Apparently he was involved in a serious scuffle with a shoplifter and the shoplifter died from his injuries two days later.

I agree that was a brutal interview. Last I heard Amy was a selling cars at a local car dealership.
I'll have to go to youtube and watch that video. After reading many articles, and watching several videos, I believe the person that did this was in a hurry. Everything is only guess work of course. My guess is that she was probably taken no more than 12 miles from her abduction point. That would give the culprit time to drive back and continue his day as he normally would. If he had to go to work, or someplace else where he would normally be seen by others, he certainly wouldn't want to alter his routine in any way. Only going a short distance would allow him to maintain that routine and not arouse any suspicion. Thank you for mentioning that video. I will look for it.

So, I'm trying to find the information on JoAnn Huisentruit Nathe. Does anyone have a copy of yellow pages with JoAnn's updated phone number or maybe an email? I would love to get an interview with her for my podcast.

They haven't solved this case in 24 years. They have an interesting POI but never made an arrest.

48 Hours and the other crime shows have done investigations, still nothing.

WWW.findjodi.com
In all these investigations, I wonder if they have ever reviewed any aerial photography of Mason City and surrounding areas? Another state did this and found vegetation and ground disturbances in a certain area. They started digging in that area and found several missing people. If anyone has aerial photos, then a comparative review could be done. I would look for photos of the year before and the year after the abduction. I would hope they may include the reservoir area where she went to water ski.

Interesting development - Lead Investigator Frank Stearns quietly retires. He was one of the 1st on the scene in 1995 and has been largely in control of the case for many years. There was nothing about this in the media until this week when he was mentioned as being hired by the county.

Cerro Gordo autopsies no longer to be done locally, extra cost could be $100K, September 10, 2019

"They also approved the appointment of Frank Stearns, a retired lieutenant with the Mason City Police Department, to serve as the medical examiner investigator, a new position for the county. "

Last edited:
Hello again! I just wanted to share with all of you my trailer for my upcoming podcast, Lost and Found! I hope you all come back and listen to every episode, which will be streaming on Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Podbean! It would mean the world to me if you shared this podcast with your friends and family so that the story of Jodi continues to be shared and loved by everyone who listens! Lost and Found Trailer
Hi Tyler, did you do a podcast on the Jodi Huisentruit case? Didn't see it at Listen To Lost and Found Podcast Online At PodParadise.com.

I always thought Jodi was the victim of some random stalker. Reading through this thread it opens up a lot of possibilities. The guy she was last with is really suspicious. If she answered her phone that morning was it under duress? Sorry if I'm reasking things. I'm just catching up on everything.

I always thought Jodi was the victim of some random stalker. Reading through this thread it opens up a lot of possibilities. The guy she was last with is really suspicious. If she answered her phone that morning was it under duress? Sorry if I'm reasking things. I'm just catching up on everything.
Your thought is very possible.

Yes. She was apparently abducted in the parking lot of her apartment at about 4;30 a.am. the next morning. Never seen again.

Was she investigating something that would have been unpopular with LE or politicians. Was her case badly handled. The van is suspicious. How much strength would it take to bend a key? Are the things by her car stillin evidence and did they check for DNA? I don't remember if touch DNA was around at the time. If she was fighting for her life her keys might have scratched her attacker even ifblood wasn't visible.
It sounds like JV might have Alzheimer's so if he has answers they need find them if they aren't already lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamadeadhead