IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read alot about this case, but wouldn't they have already considered and ruled out DH given that photo of Jodi and her friends is one of the main public images? I can certainly see similarities between the man in the photo and DH, but surely this would have already been considered by her friends/family and LE? If it is was an obscure previously unknown photo I would think it could be something, but IMO not for an image that is out there so much?

This later article ties it to Jodi’s case.

(News Source) - An eastern Iowa woman serving life in prison for conspiring to murder three adults and two children in the early nineties says her accomplice likely knows who abducted popular Mason City morning television anchor Jodi Huisentruit in 1995.

Angela Johnson was the first woman sentenced to death by a federal jury in more than fifty years back in 2005. Johnson spoke with cold case investigative journalist Steve Ridge from the federal correctional institution in Waseca, Minnesota. Ridge says Johnson corresponded with him both by e-mail and telephone, eventually calling him three times.

In those conversations, Ridge says that Johnson told him that her accomplice, drug kingpin Dustin Honken, who is scheduled to be executed in four months, spoke with her about the Huisentruit’s abduction. Ridge says Johnson mentioned one specific potential suspect. Ridge says Johnson said she had never discussed the abduction with anyone but Honken, and that she would deny having told Ridge about that conversation. However, Ridge says he was able to capture the conversation.

Honken’s execution had been on hold until new federal guidelines singled him out as one of only five convicts now set to be executed. Honken is considered the mastermind behind the cold-blooded execution style murder of his former drug lieutenants, Terri DeGeus, Greg Nicholson, Nicholson’s girl friend, Lori Duncan and her two children, six year old Amber and ten year old Kandace.

Ridge says that he also managed to contact Honken, and that an investigator from the federal public defenders office in Philadelphia who represents Honken recently traveled to Iowa to meet with him. Ridge believes Honken’s attorneys might petition to have his execution delayed in exchange for him being forthcoming about the Huisentruit disappearance.

In his original drug trial, the charges against Honken were dropped after the two key witnesses, DeGeus and Nicholson suddenly disappeared. Honken was released from prison a matter of days before a good friend of Huisentruit, Billy Pruin, was murdered. Ridge says Pruin’s former fiancé told him that Pruin became very worried about something the day Honken was released. Two weeks later Pruin was dead. Twelve weeks later, Jodi Huisentruit disappeared without a trace.

Ridge speculated that Honken attorneys might seek a delay in the execution in the interest of solving other murders. Although Honken’s post-conviction remedies have been exhausted, Ridge says a petition citing extraordinary circumstances might be possible. Ridge observes that the day Honken is executed, “his secrets die with him”.

Ridge says that he has already shared this information with authorities. Ridge is Chief Operating Officer of media strategy firm Magid. His company coached Huisentruit throughout her brief career.

I haven't read alot about this case, but wouldn't they have already considered and ruled out DH given that photo of Jodi and her friends is one of the main public images? I can certainly see similarities between the man in the photo and DH, but surely this would have already been considered by her friends/family and LE? If it is was an obscure previously unknown photo I would think it could be something, but IMO not for an image that is out there so much?
I would think LE would have considered DH whether he hung out with Jodi or not. Perhaps they were unable to rule him in or out.

Snipped for focus...
This later article ties it to Jodi’s case.

“Honken was released from prison a matter of days before a good friend of Huisentruit, Billy Pruin, was murdered. Ridge says Pruin’s former fiancé told him that Pruin became very worried about something the day Honken was released. Two weeks later Pruin was dead. Twelve weeks later, Jodi Huisentruit disappeared without a trace.”

Anyone know who Billy Pruin was, how he died, and what was the nature of his connection to Jodi? Or who his fiancee was & if she’s still alive today?

So, photos seem to suggest that Jodi may have been socializing with DH circa 1994-1995. When was DH incarcerated? DH was released in late March 1995 (because witnesses had disappeared - not known till years later they'd been murdered, and by DH) two weeks before Pruin died, possibly by homicide, on April 4, 1995. Pruin expressed worry about something the day DH was released. Jodi was friends with Pruin. If as photos suggest Jodi was socializing with DH, was she aware of his rap sheet, of his meth dealing? Might she have unwittingly in casual conversation mentioned to DH, after Pruin was found dead on April 4, 1995, that she was investigating Pruin's death? Three weeks after Pruin died, Jodi was attacked and presumably murdered. I wonder if JV knew DH.

Last edited:
Hi CuriousJournalist, Welcome to WebSleuths!

I didn’t quote your post because we aren’t allowed to post entire articles and it doesn’t work name the source. Where was this published?

TOS requires that we only post articles published in MSM, with a link to the article included in the post.

Last edited:
So, photos seem to suggest that Jodi may have been socializing with DH circa 1994-1995. When was DH incarcerated? DH was released in late March 1995 (because witnesses had disappeared - not known till years later they'd been murdered, and by DH) two weeks before Pruin died, possibly by homicide, on April 4, 1995. Pruin expressed worry about something the day DH was released. Jodi was friends with Pruin. If as photos suggest Jodi was socializing with DH, was she aware of his rap sheet, of his meth dealing? Might she have unwittingly in casual conversation mentioned to DH, after Pruin was found dead on April 4, 1995, that she was investigating Pruin's death? Three weeks after Pruin died, Jodi was attacked and presumably murdered. I wonder if JV knew DH.
New information from two Iowa killers could solve multiple cold cases

wow- i just read in that article that Jodi was investigating Billy Pruin's death--
that sounds pretty significant - i was not aware of anything like that until now.
Perhaps somebody didn't like what she was doing.

I'm not sure how much this publicity this photo has had. It never hurts for law enforcement to take another look at old items. It's like that old saying "When all else fails, work backward."

I sent findjodi an email with the pictures and DH a couple years ago.
Any idea who made these two group shots that appear to show DH and Jodi together? Any idea as to who the girl is next to Jodi in both shots - appears to be the same girl in both? Would be interesting to hear from that girl as to who the guys in the photos are, how they got to know Jodi.
edbf1628-25df-4765-8585-655526ebfdd3-jpeg.205634
jodi-friends-pizza-620x375-jpg.205688

Ha- yep! That’s what happens when a case drags on so long. Old info reviewed & rehashed. I guess it’s better than going completely cold & silent. I just hope it gets cracked wide open one day- soon!
Yeah, what is weird is that these pics have been out there for years. There are locals in Mason City, including the cops, who'd know if that is Honken in the pics with Jodi (I'll eat my keyboard if it isn't - would be too weird for it to be a dead-ringer). I've followed this case for quite a while, yet I've never heard if it has been confirmed that that is Honken in the pics, proving that'd he been socializing with her and perhaps monitoring her.... Perhaps it was confirmed, is old news, and I just missed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli