GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, found deceased, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"The defense says they will need a full day to present their evidence and call witnesses, one of those being a man who claims a former cellmate of his confessed to killing Tibbetts."

I sure hope the prosecutors are ready for this. They have the evidence needed to shut this schitt show down. The original confessions are not possible according to the evidence revealed at trial.

"The defense says they will need a full day to present their evidence and call witnesses, one of those being a man who claims a former cellmate of his confessed to killing Tibbetts."

I sure hope the prosecutors are ready for this. They have the evidence needed to shut this schitt show down. The original confessions are not possible according to the evidence revealed at trial.
To clarify, I don't doubt that this guy confessed to the crime. The witnesses who came forward are likely telling the truth about hearing his confession.

But the guy who confessed is full of baloney, imo. It did not happen the way he claimed it did. The evidence points against it.

To clarify, I don't doubt that this guy confessed to the crime. The witnesses who came forward are likely telling the truth about hearing his confession.

But the guy who confessed is full of baloney, imo. It did not happen the way he claimed it did. The evidence points against it.

The "guy" has been identified as Jones and he denies his involvement in the murder of Mollie. Let the two cellmates-- Jones and the defense witness, face each other in court so the Judge can call them fools to their faces!

Reached by phone separately Friday by The Associated Press, Jones and Hansen said they had no involvement in Tibbetts' disappearance from her hometown of Brooklyn, about 50 miles west of Iowa City, or her violent death. They said they hadn't spoken with investigators but were eager to do so in order to clear their names.

"The cops haven't talked to me. No one has talked to me. You are the first person that has called me," said Jones, of Oskaloosa. "I wasn't involved in anything. I have alibis and everything. I am just waiting for someone to come talk to me."

He ended the interview without answering whether he had made prior statements about Tibbetts' death.
^^sbm

Will shorten this up a bit....

Tuesday, July 27th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Brooklyn; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24/now 27) arrested (8/21/18), charged (8/22/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond. No bond (5/28/21) pending sentence.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial began on 5/17/21 with jury selection & ended 5/18/21. Trial started on 5/19/21 & ended on 5/27/21). Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Scott County in Davenport. 12 jurors & 3 alternates (8 women & 7 men); Jurors: Hispanic/Latino/Spanish-3, White-12 (now 9-minus alternates), jurors ages range from 19 to 71. Jury instructions added 2nd degree murder, voluntary manslaughter & involuntary manslaughter.
5/27/21: Jurors started deliberations @ 1:30pm CT to ~4:30pm CT. Total: ~3 hours (+ 6 mins). 5/28/21: Jurors started deliberations ~8:30am CT to ~12:30pm (for lunch) (~4 hours). Started back @ ~1pm CT to ~1:10pm (10 mins). VERDICT Reached!
Total deliberations: ~7 hours & 16 minutes. Guilty of 1st degree murder. No bond pending sentencing. Sentencing was to be on 7/15/21 has been delayed.

Court hearings from 8/22/18 thru 5/13/21 & Jury selection (Days 1 & 2) 5/17 to 5/18/21 & Trial (Days 1-7) 5/19 thru 5/27/21 & Jury deliberations (Day 1-2) 5/27/21 & 7/8/21 see post #107 here:
GUILTY - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

7/14/21: According to court documents filed Tuesday, a search warrant obtained by the defense “corroborates the ‘trap house’ account” made by the inmate. The defense said the search warrant it received focuses on a sex trafficking ring allegedly operated by 50-year-old James Manuel Lowe out of New Sharon in 2018. A judge has delayed the sentencing of Rivera. He was set to be sentenced Thursday. Now the July 15 hearing will focus on a separate motion to compel prosecutors to turn over evidence (Defense lawyers want prosecutors to turn over more details about the investigation of the sex trafficking house in New Sharon & LE investigation of it) since the information about a nearby potential "trap house" could corroborate the new witnesses’ claims. And will pick a date to hear defense's argument for a new hearing that will focus on the defense's motion for a new trial. The second new witness came forward to a local sheriff’s office, claiming she was in a car with the same man (Inmate #2) a month earlier when he pulled a pistol & said, “that Mexican shouldn’t be in jail for killing Mollie Tibbett's because I raped her & killed her."
7/15/21 Update: Recap: The inmate, Arne Maki, said in November 2020, Gavin Jones–referred to “inmate 2” in previous court documents–confessed that he & another individual were involved in killing Tibbetts after seeing her bound & gagged in a “trap house” they were staying at. Maki & Jones were being held in Keokuk County Jail. Four hours after the inmate’s interview on May 26, Lyndsey Voss came forward to present corroborating evidence that other individuals were involved in Tibbetts’ death, stating Jones told her that he had raped & killed Tibbetts. Court filings show the defense believes an inmate, Gavin Jones, actually killed Mollie Tibbetts. Prosecutor is saying that when this information was obtained he shared it with the Defense & offered to stay the trial while it was investigated & defense attorneys declined. He claims they admitted that the statements were inconsistent with the defendant's case. Chad Frese responded that the state had a report in May 2019 about a woman claiming she had been sex trafficked from Brooklyn, Iowa (2 months before MT disappeared). Says that info should have been disclosed pretrial related to Rivera. Judge says he will issue a written ruling on the motion to compel. Motion hearing now set for the 7/27/21 on the motion for a new trial. Judge's ruling on today's request expected to be in by end of the week.
7/16/21 Update: In Friday’s ruling, Judge Joel Yates says the defense’s first request regarding evidence related to sex trafficking investigations involving James Lowe or others was overly broad & would likely “contain confidential information about a variety of people, and Defendant’s examination of those investigations would be nothing more than a fishing expedition.” The second request by the defense asked for evidence regarding any pending investigation of James Lowe from the time Mollie went missing to the present. Yates says “a motion for new trial is not an opportunity for the Defendant to investigate third parties unassociated with this case.” The final request by the defense requested access to any pending investigations involving Gavin Jones because Jones’ alleged confession is “newly discovered evidence.” Yates said in his ruling that “Further evidence regarding Jones would be a fishing expedition and unnecessary for this procedural mechanism.” All motions denied. Yates has ordered the hearing on the motion for a new trial & motion in arrest of judgment to take place at 9am on July 27, in Poweshiek County.
7/20/21: Application for Writ of Habeas Corpus by Chad Frese filed. 7/21/21: Filed by Poweshiek County Sheriff: Arne Maki served (7/14/21) & Mahaska County Sheriff: Lyndsey Voss served (7/21/21) & Cami Eslick served (7/21/21). 7/23/21: Motion to file under seal by Jennifer Frese. Other Order: Order approving Motion to file under seal by Joel Yates.

The "guy" has been identified as Jones and he denies his involvement in the murder of Mollie. Let the two cellmates-- Jones and the defense witness, face each other in court so the Judge can call them fools to their faces!

^^sbm
I knew that Jones has been denying that he ever confessed. But I still think it is possible that he was trying to build up his street cred and puff himself up, by making bogus claims.

Was it his ex-gf that said he threatened her once, and claimed he had killed Mollie ?

I knew that Jones has been denying that he ever confessed. But I still think it is possible that he was trying to build up his street cred and puff himself up, by making bogus claims.

Was it his ex-gf that said he threatened her once, and claimed he had killed Mollie ?

Yes, I agree and Jones did not confirm or deny to AP that he made any statement to his cellmate. It was also Jones ex-gf that made the allegation.

Hansen is Jones childhood friend also associated with the alleged crimes but not accused of making murder statements by the defense witness.

Last edited:
JUL 27, 2021
Hearing Tuesday on Cristhian Rivera’s motion for a new trial in Mollie Tibbetts’ murder | who13.com
[...]

A motion filed by the defense that affidavits in the case involving alleged abuse by Jones to an infant child and another claim of domestic violence be sealed to protect the identities of the victims has been approved by the judge.

The state has filed a motion to quash subpoenas the defense has made to multiple local law enforcement officers and agencies that are in relation to sex trafficking investigations. In its efforts to gain a new trial, the defense has claimed that Tibbetts’ murder is linked to sex trafficking and even said it could be connected to the disappearance of Xavior Harrelson. The judge has not yet ruled on this motion.

[...]

Update:

EXHIBIT - PROPOSED FRESE JENNIFER JO 07/26/2021 07/26/2021 07/26/2021
RETURN OF SERVICE ON SUBPOENA MAHASKA COUNTY SHERIFF 07/26/2021 07/26/2021 07/26/2021
Comments: SUBPOENA SERVED 7/26/2021
MOTION BROWN SCOTT DEAN 07/26/2021 07/26/2021 07/26/2021
Comments: MOTION TO QUASH
RETURN OF SERVICE ON SUBPOENA POLK COUNTY SHERIFF 07/26/2021 07/26/2021 07/26/2021
Comments: SUBPOENA SERVED 7/23/2021
RETURN OF SERVICE ON SUBPOENA GRATIAS SCOTT 07/26/2021 07/26/2021 07/26/2021
Comments: SUBPOENA SERVED 7/25/2021

State resists both of the motions

Defense calls Sheriff Deputy Joe Meyer:

Was not involved in Mollies case—but received a report last night mentioning her—Scott Carter called in , a sex offender from local trailer park, complained that Sara was calling him a pedophile…Xaviers mother

One of Saras friends Sam said Sara had seen Mollie at a trap house in New Sharon…

Indicated When or where? NO

George was a member of the Mexican Mafia—he was tight with Sara

George told Sara to keep her mouth shut about X

CROSS:

We just got this info this morning from you—somebody is saying someone else heard something

Scott Carter has called in several times to complain about harassment

Has anyone met with Scott Carter? NO

So just a phone call last night?

Yes

3rd hand information, correct?

Yes

Denise Hnytka [URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD']@DeniseWQAD [/URL]1m
Defense calls Arne Maki. Serving time for domestic violence. Getting out in December. He’s the inmate who came forward after Rivera testified at trial.b@wqad #MollieTibbetts

Kristin Rogers [URL='https://twitter.com/KristinRogersTV']@KristinRogersTV [/URL]2m
The defense now calls Arne Maki, he's the prisoner that came forward during Bahena Rivera's trial and said that his cell mate told him that he is the one who killed #MollieTibbetts @KCRG

Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 3m
Deputy says no one met with the caller, just talked on the phone yesterday afternoon. Long line of “he said, she said” information here. @wqad #mollietibbetts

[URL='https://twitter.com/KristinRogersTV']Kristin Rogers [URL='https://twitter.com/KristinRogersTV']@KristinRogersTV [/URL][/URL]5m
The defense calls Deputy Joe Meyer with Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office. He says a man from the trailer park where Xavier Harrelson lived came forward last night saying Xavier's mom Sarah reported seeing #MollieTibbetts at a trap house in New Sharon. @KCRG

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back