GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, found deceased, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 3m
Defense begins hearing by calling Deputy Joe Meyer. Says he took a call from a man last night, complaining of harassment by Sarah - Xavior's mother. Xavior is a missing boy from Poweshiek Co. Also indicated #MollieTibbetts had been seen by people at a trap house.

Did he testify that 'people' saw Mollie? I just heard him say that Sara saw her. Who else?

Denise Hnytka [URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD']@DeniseWQAD [/URL]44s
Maki says he felt bad for Jones "a young kid (21yo) who needed some direction". They spoke about #MollieTibbetts "Yeah I killed her. The guy being charged for it right now, we set him up. A sex trafficking case gone wrong" Jones says he didn't believe it.
@wqad

Hunter Davis [URL='https://twitter.com/HunterDavisNews']@HunterDavisNews [/URL]2m
I am in Iowa today as we hear a motion for a new trial in the case of #MollieTibbetts. The defense filed the motion in light of two people identifying a killer in the case that is not Cristhian Rivera - who was found guilty of her murder back in May.

Denise Hnytka [URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD']@DeniseWQAD [/URL]4m
Maki served some time in Keokuk County Jail last summer, where he met Gavin Jones. Maki gave him $70 out of his inmate account to help him make bail. #MollieTibbetts @wqad

Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 3m
Defense begins hearing by calling Deputy Joe Meyer. Says he took a call from a man last night, complaining of harassment by Sarah - Xavior's mother. Xavior is a missing boy from Poweshiek Co. Also indicated #MollieTibbetts had been seen by people at a trap house.

Did he testify that 'people' saw Mollie? I just heard him say that Sara saw her. Who else?

Yes

========

Inmate Arne Maki age 46

DV sentence

Spent 3 mos in county jail, met Gavin jones

He was friends w/Jones for 21 day period

[technical issues ]

Do you recognise this photo?

Yes, it’s Gavin Jones

Objection—no foundation for this new info

D: you helped him bail out?

Yes, I gave him 70 dollars…

D: did the sheriff OK you giving him that cash?

Yes, but he tried to make sure I wasn’t being pressured…

D: did he talk about death of Mollie Tibbetts?

Yes, but he had no emotion, was just serious…

D:

He asked what sheriff said, I told him…

D:

He told me that the sheriff knows that I’m dangerous…

D: did it stop there?

He said I killed her…The guy that’s being charged for it, I set him up…My black friend that doesn’t speak English too well, I set him up

D: what else did he tell you?

He set him up, he did not kill her

He told me he was kicked out of his house at 13, and began living in trap houses, with Dalton, nicknamed Evil

He said Adam Clark arrested Gavin Jones in the trap house for trafficking and abducting girls

D:Location?

No, but he said the sex trafficker worked with Tama Police to help abduct the girls

D:Did he see Mollie in a trap?

NO

D: He didnt tell you he saw her in a basement?

Yes he did…

Saw her bound and gagged in a chair…but sex trafficker said he had to get rid of her and stabbed her…

Then set up the defendant…

I should say something, even if it’s not true…

CROSS:

Mr Maki you said the info you got was from the news, that he had a family and he didnt have a criminal record…

Did you watch any of the trial testimony?

No?

Gavin Jones told you he was kicked out of the house at 13?

Yes—

Did you know he was in state custody and then in rehab, then was in assisted living under supervision—

[during this time he was supposed to be living in traps?}

Gavin told you he agreed to steal cars for this sex trafficker? And that he got in a shoot out with police?

Yes

Was he ever charged with a shoot out:?

IDK

Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 9m
On cross, Poweshiek Co. attorney Bart Klaver asks Maki if he knew that Gavin Jones was in a rehab facility in July 2018, then went to another set up under supervision. Seems to imply that Jones couldn't be involved in trap houses at the time #MollieTibbetts disappeared @wqad

Denise Hnytka [URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD']@DeniseWQAD [/URL]14m
Maki says he gets nothing out of testifying today. No early release, money, promises, deals. 'Wanted to do the right thing" by testifying here. #MollieTibbetts @wqad

Denise Hnytka [URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD']@DeniseWQAD [/URL]15m
Maki says Jones claimed investigators were getting closer and they had to get rid of #MollieTibbetts @wqad Maki assumed Jones was lying until he saw Cristhian Bahena Rivera testify at trial, clips on Fox News.

Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 18m
Maki: Gavin Jones explained the concept of sex trafficking, how it worked, trap houses. Jones claimed Tama police were in on it. #MollieTibbetts @wqad

Kristin Rogers [URL='https://twitter.com/KristinRogersTV']@KristinRogersTV [/URL]42s
The defense calls Agent Trent Vileta with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. @KCRG He says they were getting around 100 tips per day in the #MollieTibbetts case.

Denise Hnytka [URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD']@DeniseWQAD [/URL]2m
Defense now calling DCI Agent Trent Vileta. Testified at length in CBR trial. Special Agent in charge of #MollieTibbetts disappearance and murder. @wqad

Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 5m
Judge excused Maki, who quickly said into the mic "just want to say my thoughts and prayers are with the Tibbetts family." #MollieTibbetts

Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 8m
Maki says Jones claimed Mollie's body had been "cut up". Klaver points out that based on trial evidence, that's not true. #MollieTibbetts @wqad

Last edited:
Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 50s
Another agent interviewed Mollie's friend, who "speculated" that she could have been the victim of sex trafficking. Agent Vileta says there was a lot of chatter because no one knew, lot of fears. Vileta seems agitated by this line of questioning. #MollieTibbetts @wqad

Denise Hnytka @DeniseWQAD 15s
Getting tense between defense attorney Jennifer Frese and Agent Vileta. Calls the allegations of sex trafficking "baseless". #MollieTibbetts @wqad

Denise Hnytka [URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD']@DeniseWQAD [/URL]15s
Defense says they are here to show #MollieTibbetts link to sex trafficking. Judge quips, "Go ahead and get there." @wqad

This witness being asked these questions by Ms Frese almost seems a bit annoyed, as it was an investigation and she is making a mountain out of a mole hill imo.

Can’t wait for prosecution to clear this up.

Major crime investigator of Mollie’s case is on stand

[he doesn’t look happy to be here]

Talking about tips that came in—lots were bizarre and psychics, etc

We looked into everything that came in

D: is it true that were multiple tips that said she wad a victim of sex trafficking?

No, not that I know of—

D: here is a transcript for you

W: [looking at transcript]

D tries to submit a document right now—major objection—from state

Asks judge to take Judicial Notice of it

Judge says NO

She pushes back—calls it a Brady violation for the state not to hand over the Lowe trafficking file

She says I am submitting it under seal—

Judge says I dont have enough info to do what you are asking

I am renewing my request to offer this entire document for submission

State—to move past this, put it under seal, as part of this case but give it the weight it deserves…

D: Brian Keagan gave you a lead, correct?

W: yes, he said he saw it on television

D: miss Beck also wondered if MT was a victim of trafficking

W: yes, she did say she wondered—but she gives no info about the possibility

D: what goes in a report and what doesn’t?

W: Ok, in the initial part of investigation we look at every possibility. It is merely speculation that you have put here in this transcript—you even put psychics in here I see

D: Ray Fierdler says there are people being kidnapped for human trafficking

W: I think you are misinterpreting

D: you are aware of the search warrant for James Lowe for sex trafficking

W: yes and I believe it was baseless, after being investigated

D: are you aware that 2 people have come forward saying they were sex trafficked by James Lowe

Objection

Sustained

Judge, let me get there..

J: Ok, hurry up then

D: Odd coincidence that another young girl went missing in the area—in Winchester Indiana in 2017, correct?

W: NO, I see no connection…

Major crime investigator of Mollie’s case is on stand

[he doesn’t look happy to be here]

Talking about tips that came in—lots were bizarre and psychics, etc

We looked into everything that came in

D: is it true that were multiple tips that said she wad a victim of sex trafficking?

No, not that I know of—

D: here is a transcript for you

W: [looking at transcript]

D tries to submit a document right now—major objection—from state

Asks judge to take Judicial Notice of it

Judge says NO

She pushes back—calls it a Brady violation for the state not to hand over the Lowe trafficking file

She says I am submitting it under seal—

Judge says I dont have enough info to do what you are asking

I am renewing my request to offer this entire document for submission

State—to move past this, put it under seal, as part of this case but give it the weight it deserves…

D: Brian Keagan gave you a lead, correct?

W: yes, he said he saw it on television

D: miss Beck also wondered if MT was a victim of trafficking

W: yes, she did say she wondered—but she gives no info about the possibility

D: what goes in a report and what doesn’t?

W: Ok, in the initial part of investigation we look at every possibility. It is merely speculation that you have put here in this transcript—you even put psychics in here I see

D: Ray Fierdler says there are people being kidnapped for human trafficking

W: I think you are misinterpreting

D: you are aware of the search warrant for James Lowe for sex trafficking

W: yes and I believe it was baseless, after being investigated

D: are you aware that 2 people have come forward saying they were sex trafficked by James Lowe

Objection

Sustained

Judge, let me get there..

J: Ok, hurry up then

D: Odd coincidence that another young girl went missing in the area—in Winchester Indiana in 2017, correct?

W: NO, I see no connection…

This whole thing is just a stall tactic courtesy of the defense. All these witnesses are not credible at all. They are grasping at straws and wasting everyones time. Rivera alone abducted raped and killed her end of story. Just get on with the sentencing

This witness being asked these questions by Ms Frese almost seems a bit annoyed, as it was an investigation and she is making a mountain out of a mole hill imo.

Can’t wait for prosecution to clear this up.
He is annoyed because they are being disingenuous. Putting on a smoke and mirrors show....he is angry about being pulled into it.

Like he said, one of the 'tips' they enthusiastically pointed to was from a guy that said he knows nothing about sex trafficking but saw tv show about it, and wondered if Mollie might be a victim of it.

And the defense just used that 'tip' as evidence in their defense of the guy who had her blood in his trunk.

The defense atty is going to whine and be rudely sarcastic and make him discuss every so called ‘tip’ in this file she brought in.

Pisses me off that the defense threw all ofd these witness testimony reverts at them this morning so they couldn’t prepare for Cross

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back