Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very small town, so there may be other factors that point LE towards someone like WC.

Like the possibility of family members being friends... etc

It would make a heck of a lot more sense if there was evidence. But I doubt LE is going to add anything in the presser tomorrow. Can’t wait to hear what they had for dinner.
So true.

That said, even if there is a lack of physical evidence, I do believe they have a trove of digital evidence, which is why they have spent so much time searching one area. I believe they are close to finding her or finding physical evidence to lead to her - if they haven't already found it.

True. I'm curious what led investigators to search that area. Was there a tip about a red t-shirt, or did cell phone data triangulate to that location? If cell phone data led police to that area, and they found her t-shirt, does that mean she is in that location?
I would really like to know why they’re focused on that area as well. As a local I’ll tell you it makes no sense. Anybody leaving Brooklyn and heading south might take Hwy 21 but they would just be passing through. There’s got to be a reason they’re focused on Hwy 21 between Guernsey and Deep River but I have no idea what that reason could be.

If she was walking towards her Mom's house early - say 6:30 or so, she may not have texted her brother because he might be sleeping and she'd be there anyway before 7:00 a.m.

She knew the car would still be there because it was so early in the morning and she hadn't confirmed one way or another that she needed it.

Just a thought why she may not have texted anyone yet - too early.

Plus she may have had her earplugs in for music. Her brother stated that she listened to music as she ran. Maybe as she walked too. Relaxing to listen to music while walking that early in the morning.

I guess I can’t buy her not doing ANY texts, emails or calls that morning...presumably she did not since there is and has been much confusion over when she may have disappeared. Just because of phone addictions most people have...

His history of stalking makes him no more a suspect than the two registered sex offenders in the area. I guess my feeling on him at this point is its way too obvious for it to be him and him to not already have been at least detained. They've been searching "non-stop" near that area for two weeks according to the reports today, they took pictures all over his house, they questioned him for 2hrs, and they had his phone at their disposal overnight, I would think all those experts get something out of all that by now if its him.

I don’t think it’s him either, but they may be waiting for a body to arrest anyone

If that red shirt ends up being hers it would be a game changer - the first piece of tangible evidence that something happened to her.

But until that’s confirmed we’ve got nothing.
If my daughter vanished into thin air, under these EXACT same circumstances. That would be all I need to KNOW that a crime was committed. Thank God LE seems to agree, and are pulling out all the stops to investigate this AS a CRIME.

I’m guessing suicide still can’t be ruled out? I’ve known people who have committed suicide that seemed fine on the outside. Had future (near and far term) plans scheduled. It would account for the dogs in the basement, her leaving on her own, no need for her wallet or glasses/contacts, maybe took her phone in hopes of it helping to locate her, no need to pick up the car for work... I’m sure it’s a very slim possibility but it just popped into my head

I don't see voluntary departure or suicide as plausible explanations for Mollie's disappearance. It seems that Mollie was at home, doing homework, going for a jog, and preparing for a special day at work. Sometime between maybe 10PM and the next morning, something happened and no one can figure out what it was, when it happened, where it happened, or why it happened.

This appears to be an abduction of a young woman from her home in the middle of the night in Brooklyn Iowa. Police information led to a search 15 miles S of Brooklyn, where a red t-shirt may have been found. Regardless of the red shirt, neither suicide nor runaway explains the tip that led police to the wildlife area.

If she is well known and has lived there, it could have been a familiar person who had bad intentions. She could have been a willing participant at first, because she knew and trusted the perp, then things went south very quickly and there was no turning back after she left the house.

JMO

I’m guessing suicide still can’t be ruled out? I’ve known people who have committed suicide that seemed fine on the outside. Had future (near and far term) plans scheduled. It would account for the dogs in the basement, her leaving on her own, no need for her wallet or glasses/contacts, maybe took her phone in hopes of it helping to locate her, no need to pick up the car for work... I’m sure it’s a very slim possibility but it just popped into my head

I don't think anything (or anyone) can be ruled out yet.

One of the main points in the press release on Wednesday is that they prefer that reporters reserve their questions for press release, and that they will be holding regular press releases going forward.

What questions should the reporters ask?

One question I would like answered is whether investigators think there is any connection to any other murdered or missing young women and girls in Iowa.

Otto;
I followed Lizzie and Lyrics missing case. I wondered if you had watched this video on KWWL of the area they were searching late afternoon today. Ive copied a quote of mine from the previous thread. The landscape appeared so similar of the location I remember where the cousins were found. Check it out.
and goodnight all

KWWL
Reporter is live at the search scene.
This one has sound.
That video is a flashback to the landscape where cousins Lizzie and Lyric were found. The cousins were found on a wildlife area, Seven Bridges. There was a gravel road and an area of trees and a creek. I doubt they are related but for those who follow both, its odd and scary. I'm worried for Mollie.
jmo

It is sad that most of us are now considering that Mollie is no longer with us. Up until tonight, I really thought she was still alive, but the activities of today lead me to believe she is not.

I’ve seen repeatedly that she was walking to her moms in the morning before work. I don’t think that we know for sure she did that. I recall her brother saying he texted her at 730 am to ask if she needed a ride HOME (which was another reason I initially thought the dinner plans were for Thursday). There was discussion that she already would have been at work by 730 am-so she must have made other plans to get there. But WHO? Prob not a co worker because I think we might have heard that they could not find her in the morning—not that she didn’t show up for work. I also think the contact lens thing is throwing everyone off. I believe only 1 source has indicated that she didn’t have them with her though I might be wrong there.

I thought her brother texted her to ask if she needed a ride to work.....since she shared a car with him.

Re: 2 - I think someone she knew was giving her a ride to work that morning, perhaps unexpectedly or perhaps not. Who, why and what happened afterward is the mystery.
I think she went missing without a ride to work. If she'd planned a ride with someone she would have 1) told her family she didn't need the car and/or 2) had some call phone evidence that she talked to someone about getting a ride. If #2, LE would have that person on the hot seat, and have a definite suspect, or that person would have come forward and helped solidify the timeline by saying they spoke to her (late night, likely) to plan a ride, but that she wasn't there when they showed up that morning to get her.

Going to do my old list of points. It just keeps me on point. Let me know if I don't have something right or I've missed something.
MT-20 yrs of age
Student at U of I
<respectfully snipped>
7/26- hog farm searched (possibly from a tip?)
8/3-Red tshirt found, possibly MT's, by lawn mower near hog farm. Hog farm searched for second time.

adding source Missing college student Mollie Tibbetts: A timeline

So it's possible that police searched the area due to a cell phone signal, and then they returned to the area a week later because of a second tip about a t-shirt?

Going to do my old list of points. It just keeps me on point. Let me know if I don't have something right or I've missed something.
MT-20 yrs of age
Student at U of I
Entering Soph year
Taking summer courses
Pysch major
avid runner
Father and mother divorced
Father lives out of state and was remarried in June (Mollie was "best man")
Mother lives in state
2 brothers
Boyfriend DJ
Regularly attends church
well known in the community
was dog sitting for boyfriend and his brother BJ
wears glasses (do we know her eyesight issues? farsighted, nearsighted?)
wears contacts
was supposed to go to Dominican Republic 8/1 for BJ wedding.
7/17-DJ and BJ travel to job site 100 miles away. (so first night MT spent alone in house)
7/18-was seen jogging at 7:30pm, texted with mom about dinner, snapchat to boyfriend at 10pm, studying "late".
7/19-dogs in basement, house undisturbed. wallet, glasses and contacts at home, red tshirt missing, phone missing, wears fit bit all the time, didn't show up for work and didn't return text from boyfriend or brother. Mother became worried and alerted authorities.
7/26- hog farm searched (possibly from a tip?)
8/3-Red tshirt found, possibly MT's, by lawn mower near hog farm. Hog farm searched for second time.

adding source Missing college student Mollie Tibbetts: A timeline
BBM. They went to different locations. DJ to a job site in Dubuque. BJ to visit his fiance in Ames. Dubuque is Northeast of Brooklyn (2 hours and 15 minutes) and Ames is West-Northwest of Brooklyn (about 85 miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams