Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They absolutely would have as standard procedure. Perhaps the question was asked by the media, and not answered, like all the other questions LE has declined to answer.

We assume LE would investigate, they likely did in this case but results typically are revealed. I believe media would report a "no comment" or "can not comment" response.

LE, for whatever reason, wants to present to the public that they believe MT is still alive. A "no activity" report would defeat that narrative.

Generally speaking if I go to the kitchen or loos at work and leave my phone at my desk, or when I go outside with the dog for a quick pee, my Fitbit looses the connection to the phone. As soon as it is back within reach, it will reconnect without any action required on my side.

Only certain Fitbit devices are wifi-enabled, such as their 'watch' products. Other Fitbit devices communicate via Bluetooth. The devices are small and battery-powered so power is limited.

Bluetooth has three class designations:

Class 1 device is 100 meters @ 100mW power.
Class 2 device is 10 meters @ 2.5 mW power.
Class 3 device is less than 10 meters @ 1mW power.

Usable range depends on transmission power and surroundings. That, and being small-battery powered means Fitbit communication range is typically less than maximum defined range. Assume ~10 meters or less range and you're golden.

So the Fitbit has to be in a limited wifi range of 10 - 100 metres (33 - 336 feet) from the cell phone type of wifi device for the data to transmit?

Generally speaking if I go to the kitchen or loos at work and leave my phone at my desk, or when I go outside with the dog for a quick pee, my Fitbit looses the connection to the phone. As soon as it is back within reach, it will reconnect without any action required on my side.

Yes, but that is only after the Fitbit device has been manually configured to pair with your phone.

So the Fitbit has to be in a limited wifi range from the cell phone type of wifi device for the data to transmit?

Wifi and Bluetooth are both wireless communication standards. If signal integrity is not adequate neither will allow for a connection.

Also, a wifi-enabled Fitbit device does not require a wifi-enabled phone. It can connect to any wifi-enabled device using the same communication protocol, such as 802.11n, and necessary application designed to process Fitbit data.

Wifi and Bluetooth are both wireless communication standards. If signal integrity is not adequate neither will allow for a connection.

Also, a wifi-enabled Fitbit device does not require a wifi-enabled phone. It can connect to any wifi-enabled device using the same communication protocol, such as 802.11n, and necessary application designed to process Fitbit data.

Bluetooth is wearable tech to device, and wifi is device to network?

Does the Fitbit have to connect to a bluetooth device, or can it connect to a wifi network?

Do we know for certain that her boyfriend was going to propose to her in the DR? For some reason, I haven't come across this in the news articles I've scoured.
Mollie and Boyfriend were traveling to DR to attend Dalton's brother's wedding. First, the Groom (brother) made a comment to media that he had teased his brother Dalton about proposing to Mollie in the DR. Mollie's Dad was next to fuel the rumor when he made a comment to media that he liked Dalton very much, and hoped Mollie would make him his son. And that's how the "proposal" rumor grew legs...

Last edited:
Isn't pairing devices pretty much the first step with a new device like a Fitbit?

Yes. Pairing is configuring a device to communicate with another, specific device... think of it as the device being configured to 'log on' to another device. For this purpose, the 'log on' occurs automatically and data is uploaded by Fitbit (syncing) when the devices are within range of each other and successfully connected. Range extenders would increase the maximum range but that is a whole another topic.

Bluetooth is wearable tech to device, and wifi is device to network?

Does the Fitbit have to connect to a bluetooth device, or can it connect to a wifi network?

Bluetooth technology can be used in non-wearable applications as well, such as wireless Bluetooth headphones may be configured to connect to a Bluetooth-enabled desktop computer (which is not 'wearable' device).

Wifi is not for only 'device to network'. Peer-to-peer (device to device) is also part of that standard.

Wifi-enabled Fitbit devices (such as their watch product) connect to another wifi device.
Bluetooth-enabled Fitbit devices connect to another Bluetooth-enabled device.

Yes. Pairing is configuring a device to communicate with another, specific device... think of it as the device being configured to 'log on' to another device. For this purpose, the 'log on' occurs automatically and data is uploaded by Fitbit (syncing) when the devices are within range of each other and successfully connected. Range extenders would increase the maximum range but that is a whole another topic.

It sounds like Mollie had an ordinary Fitbit, and she probably synced it with other devices. If I understand correctly, that Fitbit has a limited bluetooth range of up to 1oo metres. As long as the Fitbit and device are within 300 feet, pulse rate and cell phone location can be tracked (wifi : device to network)?

Bluetooth technology can be used in non-wearable applications as well, such as wireless Bluetooth headphones may be configured to connect to a Bluetooth-enabled desktop computer (which is not 'wearable' device).

Wifi is not for only 'device to network'. Peer-to-peer (device to device) is also part of that standard.

Wifi-enabled Fitbit devices (such as their watch product) connect to another wifi device.
Bluetooth-enabled Fitbit devices connect to another Bluetooth-enabled device.

Thank you. So what is the probability that Mollie's Fitbit would continue to transmit after it was more than 300 feet from her cell phone?

Isn't pairing devices pretty much the first step with a new device like a Fitbit?

Yup, it makes no sense to wear an unpaired fitbit.

Also, if you want to sync ie read the data the fitbit has collected, you need to have the fitbit or log in data for the dashboard. But the latter will only show the data until the last sync.
I cannot just go and tell my phone to connect to nearby fitbits and read the data.

It sounds like Mollie had an ordinary Fitbit, and she probably synced it with other devices. If I understand correctly, that Fitbit has a limited bluetooth range of up to 1oo metres. As long as the Fitbit and device are within 300 feet, pulse rate and cell phone location can be tracked (wifi : device to network)?

Fitbits use a relatively newer Bluetooth technology: BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). The classifications do not necessarily apply to BLE but the ranges are typical since a Fitbit device is not capable of high power communication (read: small-range).

Note that distance is not the only factor. "Within 300 feet" is not all that is required. Is that line-of-sight? Are there other electronic devices in the area that might interfere with the signal? Is battery power sufficient?

Thank you. So what is the probability that Mollie's Fitbit would continue to transmit after it was more than 300 feet from her cell phone?

I know this question wasn’t for me but I’ll chime in...

I do not have a Fitbit but I do have an Apple Watch and they work the same... the Fitbit info would not transmit info to the cell phone until it gets back within range. Example: if I take a walk without my phone but wear my watch, my steps/pulse/exercise activity will not update onto my phone until I get back within range.
Wanted to add: it will only transmit the info to whatever device it has been paired with + only if it’s powered on. Also, you cannot pair it to any device without having both the Fitbit/watch and the phone at the same time because you have to allow the connection.

The Fitbit waits for an available Bluetooth signal. If it detects a signal it attempts to read identity information. If the signal is from the device to which it was paired then it will attempt to connect. If it is not the paired device it ignores it. It will do so for as long as battery power allows.

Last edited:
Yup, it makes no sense to wear an unpaired fitbit.

Also, if you want to sync ie read the data the fitbit has collected, you need to have the fitbit or log in data for the dashboard. But the latter will only show the data until the last sync.
I cannot just go and tell my phone to connect to nearby fitbits and read the data.

The Fitbit device does not have to be paired to record information from the person wearing the device but it does have to be paired to sync / upload data.

Fitbits use a relatively newer Bluetooth technology: BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). The classifications do not necessarily apply to BLE but the ranges are typical since a Fitbit device is not capable of high power communication (read: small-range).

Note that distance is not the only factor. "Within 300 feet" is not all that is required. Is that line-of-sight? Are there other electronic devices in the area that might interfere with the signal? Is battery power sufficient?

Thank you! What about this for the search area scenario on July 26 : the digital signature places Mollie near Geurnsey based on wifi device triangulation. Was Fitbit bluetooth data, such as Fitbit pulse sensor, updated after she was abducted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member