Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you take selfies on Snapchat, it generally turns out to be mostly your head in view....unless you are some master selfie expert. Some teen girls practice a lot, Mollie doesn't seem to be quite on that level of self obsession, but can't say either way. Not sure you could determine the outfit, maybe the color.
If she was in shape she probably did sweat early, as it's a measure of your body's cooling efficiency so fit people generally sweat sooner during a workout, while out of shape or overweight people sweat more. In any case, I agree with the poster above who also doesn't take off their workout clothes right away. I box every evening, it looks like I stood in a rainstorm after (very sweaty). I do not take off my clothes and shower right away, that I do before bed. People are all different, and we have been given very little insight into her life, personality etc.

I just want to point out that in the new DM article, they’re not saying the computer was used in the “late evening” like they had been saying before:

“In a further intriguing clue, investigators are believed to have found evidence Mollie had been using her MacBook Pro laptop on the evening of July 18.

Calderwood said that a look at the internet history after it was retrieved from Jack's house suggested Mollie had been working on a homework assignment for her Roman Civilization class.

However, she warned that it was unclear exactly when the laptop was used and cautioned against drawing any firm conclusions.”

(BBM)
Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I'm having a really hard time with the sight tonight. Forgive me if I'm taking the convo off track. I wonder if she was taken from her run and her Fitbit showed she went past Casey's. (Or that was the only camera near where she took her run and they were hoping something would be on it?)
See map
I'd imagine its the only legit camera on her run but nothing has been confirmed.

About Snapchat...when I take selfies they automatically save in a folder on my iPhone...and then if I click on the picture in my photos it shows a location...Not sure if Mollie had her set up that way but that could be one way to find out her location of where and when the snap was taken...Just a thought!

Holy smokes, you guys. I've been very involved on Websleuths at times, but have been much more irregular until Mollie's story drew me back in. I just spent a good chunk of the last two days reading 12 threads on this case. I think it says a lot that this many people are taking an active interest in her well being. Well done!

I've also been saving up a few thoughts as I read and considered various theories presented over the 12 threads. I'm going to add a couple of them now in separate posts so this doesn't get ridiculously long.

I grew up in a town of 1,200 and I currently live in a different town of around 1,200. In my town, I don't think anyone would claim they know "every person." For example, there are always new people coming in and out of a community (moving in, visiting, etc.); there are strangers who come in to work and then leave at night; and there are also people who live on the margins (reclusive; shut-in; uninvolved).

But in general, there is often a (perhaps fraudulent) sense of familiarity about THE WHOLE TOWN. Because even the people you don't "know know," you are almost always only ONE person removed from them. They are so and so's uncle, you went to school with their cousin, their step-mom worked with your grandma and so on. In this sort of setting, crime rates are generally low and there isn't a lot of logical reason to live in fear. As a result, a resident's sense of "stranger danger" can be very dulled.

I say this because it speaks to several portions of this story. For example, in my hometown (whether back in my childhood or if I visited today), I would have no need to worry about scrambling to find a ride. There would be a TON of people who are naturally going to work at a similar time--people I went to school with and so on--who I could reliably expect to pick me up and drop me off. And even if I hadn't remained in close touch with the person, there's a good sense I would feel they were "safe" because they'd been a known fixture in the community as long as I had.

When I go back home, for example, I might small talk with a gas station attendant while buying a bottle of water as I pump my gas. I might recognize the person as someone who went to school with one of my siblings. We might have a seemingly innocent two minute exchange. In Mollie's case, she might say "So good to see you. Yeah, it's been a while. I'm in town for the summer, you know, before school. Dog sitting this weekend while I'm doing my classes actually..." and casually give out information in a very comfortable setting without even being aware she disclosed any potentially harmful info.

The reason I mention this is that people have shared some really fantastic tips for staying safe, not running alone etc. But I think even if Mollie was generally very alert to danger, those tips might not have prepared her to scrutinize someone she'd grown up seeing at football games on Friday nights, someone whose cousin she went to prom with, someone she worked with at a local restaurant or movie theater or whatever etc.

I'll share some more details on what I think are the most likely possibilities, but that includes the idea that when Mollie disappeared, she was in the presence of someone she would not have feared.

It’s definitely possible the captions are incorrect. However, I do know, from personal experience, that blood relation cannot be determined strictly via physical resemblance.
RSBM. I am fairly certain the caption is incorrect and they share Mollie's last name.

They already confirmed she was on the laptop after the run, late into the night.
Do you have a source you can share where this is confirmed?

I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Thank you for the education. I have a question -

Mollie is A. Mollie's friend is B. X is mystery third party who connects to B via Quick Add feature or any other way via snapchat.

Could X view things Mollie shared with her friend (B) via Snapchat and Mollie would have no idea X was even able to see anything of hers?

Did that make sense?

sorry if this has been answered already. If person x was mollies friends friend then no they wouldn't see mollies story.. unless.. When you post a story you have an option to post so that only friends can see it or there's an 'our story' option that will show up on the snap map for anyone to see! We can see stories from people all over the world if they choose that option.

Just finished watching the presser earlier today. Found it irritating and painful to watch. Purpose: limited, IMO. I did think the press asked some really good questions. They weren't given any answers (surprise), but at least they asked the right questions. MT's dad impressed me so much: what a strong and gracious man.

I need to ask: did anyone else want to hurl heavy objects at their screen when Ms. What's-Her-Face from the Iowa Missing and Endangered blah, blah, blah agency strode up to the podium and starting throwing out statistics and speaking in glittering generalities about Iowa's statewide missing persons data, or it just me?

I don't know why I had such a negative, visceral response to that presentation, aside from the fact that I was thinking to myself the whole time, "This pc is not about numbers and your useless state statistics. It is about one individual, Mollie Tibbetts, whose parents happen to be standing right behind you, lady." If I were one of her parents, it would have taken every ounce of energy in my body not to have lost it and screamed, "My daughter is not a statistic!"

Ariadne's_Thread - I am right there with you! When ptanddj set me straight today about Mr. Winkler/Winker being notihing but an Iowa's Public Safety's Public Affairs guy my perception about what was going on turned on a dime!

Today the State press agent said the buck stops with the Sheriffs. They are the one who are responsible for each missing person case and they send the information about their work directly to NCIC (FBI). And the State of Iowa's PUBLIC SAFETY DEPT (just the name of the dept irritates me today!) churns out an annual report in which they don't mirror the categories used by NCIC and their report is vague on specifics. But no matter how you view it - there are folks in IOWA who view missing people as numbers and one of them is the manager of the IOWA MISSING PERSON CLEARINGHOUSE. (also detest that name - several states adopted that title years ago. Morphed from Centers or Bureaus to Clearinghouse. That all seem to just be repositories where cases go to collect dust. There is rarely any updates to reflect anyone has even looked at some cases for decades!

IOWA State dept of public safety (URGH just writing it makes me irritated) are putting folks up there to project an image and nothing more imo. That is why that poorly constructed pdf 2018 missing person annual report was attached with notice of the first PC. And then today to get that Manager there to say something that is not actually in that report- I wish someone had challenged her to find the word RUNAWAY as a category in that report. Wonder if she wrote it? Using that term in this case feels irrresponsible. And with the family standing right there. CRUEL! Honestly why brag or bring up such sloppy work and pitiful numbers even if they are "inline with historical data"

I go back far enough when most all teens and young adults were labeled runaways! Come to find out many of those old cases were just wrong and these people were killed. I don't trust the stats on missing persons because for a long time localities didn't do reports at all, passed the case to a different jurisdiction, didn't consider them a big priority - hence the not being able to actually tell what category they belong, and didn't send all cases to the NCIC - they hand picked what would go and what would not.

We should be better than that now! And the folks who work in any dept called PUBLIC SAFETY should care about PEOPLE. The look on the family's faces as these two spoke today pained me.

I can one up you I think.

I reached a point today where I am wondering why in 2018 the SHERIFF and COUNTY COMMISSIONERS of Poweshiek County didn't make sure their towns were safe for girls like Mollie? It is that simple for me.

Our Government is supposed to take steps to ensure our public safety. I fully appreciate they can't preempt EVIL but they sure can put in place a system of checks and balances to aid LE in cases like this. I am way past the point where another person has to die before common sense measures force a change. We don't need another bill/law with memorializing another victim! Why aren't we proactive?

I can't think of any good reason for a town who can raise $52,000 to make an old house into a museum couldn't have realized cameras were a good thing, especially since there is no municipal police force.

Why not teach your children and community to LOCK your doors? Good Grief. This town sits right off two main road systems and only a few hours from one of the most crime infected cities in our country, Chicago - that is cause enough to make sure you have cameras in place to the city limit imo. Think about that for a moment. There is a tower directly across the street from the house where Mollie was staying. A camera could be mounted right there. And there could be one mounted where 170 or whatever that numbered gravel road that takes one to Route 6. Police Depts or Civic groups could offer home security systems like Fire Depts offer smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

The last time I checked Dalton's home is inside the City of Brooklyn. It may be on the line but it is inside. Not sure if those young men were being double taxed as we are where we live because we are in a municipality, but I personally think the City and County dropped the ball.

I truly believe public safety belongs on the front burner! And this case proves it doesn't matter how tiny a town is.

Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member