Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new information from her mother in the DailyMail article, I do not believe that Mollie returned from her run. IMO it goes something like this...

- Mollie is dropped off around 5:30pm.
- She decides to do a little homework while she waits for it to cool off and go for a run.
- Leaves for run around 7:30pm, confirms with Mom what is for supper, and plans to end up at Mom’s house. This would explain the lack of planning for the next morning. She planned to see brother at supper and would figure it out then or possibly drive the car home that night.
- Clothes and running accessories were never located. Had she made it safe home, and taken in the morning, those clothes would likely be in the laundry. Had she made it home safe and been taken during the night, the dogs would have been out of the cages.

Therefore, I believe she was taken at some point during the run between BF’s house and the route to Mom’s house. Most likely a crime of opportunity. Unsure if suspect was known to Mollie. Sadly I think there’s less than 5% chance of it being a happy outcome.
Red shirt is a red herring.
But her mother didn't seem to expect her for dinner ... Seems like no one thought she was missing until the next morning.

I am leaning toward this scenario as well. She is dropped off at 5:30 p.m. Does homework while it cools off outside. Gets ready to run. Puts the dogs in the basement. Perhaps sends the Snapchat before she leaves as it has been said that it appeared she was "inside" in the Snapchat. She leaves the house around 7:30 pm. Perhaps she means to run to her mom's for dinner and she texts "okay" to her mom. At 7:45 p.m. she is sighted for the last time. I still don't know if someone physically saw her at this time or if this is the time the electronic timeline petered out. Since she normally ran for 45 mins., it could be she met harm fifteen minutes into the run. If she had returned home, the dogs would have been loose in the house.
I agree. I don't think she ever made it back and I think she was abducted on her route.

So, when exactly was the boyfriend cleared?
Some people already commented he was cleared.

This guy is sending a different public message here:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/03/cops-establish-solid-timeline-in-college-students-disappearance/

"Kevin Winker, director of investigative operations at the Iowa Department of Public Safety, refused to say whether they’ve identified any suspects in the ongoing case.

“We’re not in the position to say who is a suspect, who isn’t a suspect or if there are any suspects,” Winker told reporters at a press conference in Montezuma."

Please see page 1 of this thread.

Tesla and others, the rules are that unless a POI has been named by LE, we are not allowed to sleuth neighbors, family members, boyfriends, friends, or anyone connected with the missing person. Now, no POI has been named, no suspect has been officially named. So please if you feel the need to discuss your POI further, do so in private msg with whomever you'd like. But if they are discussed on this board, the board will get shut down. Unless and until LE clearly says "Joe Blow is suspected of abducting Mollie" then there is no stated POI and we are not allowed to discuss or sleuth people as suspects. I know it's frustrating, but it's done to protect those who are innocent from being dragged through the www mud. So please can we stop so we don't get shut down. We're learning some very interesting info right now and it would be a shame to get shut down now.
Thank you for making this point quite clearly. Please follow the rules as we finally might have rec'd some useful information to discuss.

Trying! I have hope she is being held alive as well, which may mean the kidnapper had a fixation on her and wants to hold onto her.

One thing I am trying to get my head around: with all the talk about the Fitbit data, and it was still be analyzed and this.

Neighbor Dave Collum, a retired maintenance director for the school district, said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening and made it home from the run safely. He said investigators told him she was doing homework on her computer later that evening.

Missing student mystery baffling
bbm

That ... 'information'... is in stark contrast to the link in the next post # 577.
Terribly frustrating for her family ! I'd be a mess if I were her parents.
Fear can make people become angry as well.

Well, investigators ?
Which is it ?

Off-topic... but the releasing of the footage of the pickup truck of the man who murdered (Mickey Shunick) helped to id the killer.
Any details would help right now as the window of time (if she's alive) is possibly growing short. Sorry to type that.

Last edited:
Mother of missing girl Mollie Tibbetts reveals perplexing new details

Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

WOW. From this article it seems LE has nothing. Looks like family is starting to open up over frustration. Lots of details I was unaware of that seemed to be verified in this article. LE’s tactics are not working. This was tough to read. They really have no idea it seems. I still think she could have left on her own and I say that because it seems like a perfect crime otherwise. Something is not adding up and is it really possible LE is this lost and confused? I think it’s someone’s very close to Mollie if something bad happened IMO
MT's father said that LE was not sharing much info with the family. LE may know a lot more than has been revealed.

I keep thinking about what the statement the Mom made in DM about MT not returning from run. I can't reconcile this idea with other limted information we have in terms of homework/working on computer. I also recall alot of discussion over the past few days about people being confused about MT run time only being 15 min vs her usual circuit of 45 min. Does anyone remember where we ended up on this confusion? Was the run cut short by weather, was the 15 min run time incorrect information or was she taken 15 min into run? I am quite confused about the issue of run and run/time, mother saying she didn't return from run and then working on computer later that evening. Lots to think about.

I am also confused by the various conflicting statements and I may just sit on my hands for a while.

If she did homework after her run, then she had to have arrived home after the run.

Maybe Mollie came back from her run and didn't change. Maybe she kept listening to music as she did her homework. She was a young fit healthy woman, so no reason to assumed that going for a run would leave her sweaty and smelly.

Maybe someone came to the house as she was doing homework, and maybe someone entered the house while she was running.

bbm

Yes -- as long as I wasn't sweaty, etc., I would probably keep the running clothes on and study -- I would have to walk the dogs/let the dogs out, so I would at least keep them on till then -- then, I would either go straight to bed or shower and go to bed. So, where are shorts, bra/top, running shoes/socks? Returning home/not returning home/someone rushes her as she's going into the house either after her run or when she lets the dogs back into the house/jogging to her mom's house with her work clothes with her the next morning? Or something else? :eek:

I've ruled out something happening the night before because yesterday - her neighbors were on HLN and said the dogs were found fed and watered.

How would they even know this? Even if they were fed in the morning, the food would likely be gone so there is no way to know if they were fed. Dalton said he found them locked in the basement, so regardless they would have probably been hungry and ready to eat even IF they had been fed in the morning.

Yep. And me too.
I don’t. In life you reap what you sow and the guy volunteered to be interviewed. His prior convictions are public record and they weren’t for driving without a license.

This is all my opinion only....I think she was harmed by someone known to her. Someone that knew everyone was away. Someone that the dogs knew. Someone that cared enough about the dogs to make sure they had enough food and water.

I’ve been involved in a missing persons case... the cell phone carrier can ping the phone. In this case, they could verify the phone was turning on/off since the victims last day scene alive, but it was never on long enough to provide a solid location. The phone was never recovered and the victim was found deceased. So doing the cell ping will tell them if it’s ever been turned on/off since day 1 missing.

A helpful reminder for anyone who might have missed it:
Hi Everyone,

We are not allowing discussions on people the police have cleared. This includes but is not limited to Mollie's brother and Mollie's boyfriend.

The last thing I want to do is issue time-outs but that is what is going to happen if people keep bringing up those who have been cleared.

Thanks,
Tricia

this case calls to mind the murder of the aussie ballplayer a few yrs back in Duncan ok. he was out running and randomly shot by thugs who pursued him in vehicle. similar rural midwestern. crime of opportunity? this is abduction I think however

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member