Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing. Dan Rassier was interviewed, interrogated, suspected, harassed and accused for years because he lived right off the road from where Jacob was abducted. Who else would have been on that road late at night in small town Minnesota except for someone who lived there? It ruined his life as a music teacher, they dug up his farm, and he lost most of his friends. And............he had nothing to do with the disappearance and death of Jacob.
There was never any evidence pointing to Rassier, and only the biggest idiots ever suspected him. (Unfortunately, that included some cops.)

There is one significant difference, however: Rassier did not have two convictions for stalking. WC does.

MG, I'm a little slow on the uptake today, can you elaborate on why this makes you skeptical of it being Mollie?
I’m skeptical because authorities were able to determine the victim’s age to be within such a small window (early to mid 20s). I think that would be unlikely in the case of Mollie, who would likely be in an advanced state of decomposition by now.

Do you know anything about the nature of the vandalism at the True Value in town the night Mollie disappeared? Trying to determine if windows/doors broken vs. graffiti. TIA
Prolly just some innocents looking for some summertime fun

So question - on the link for missing persons, under incident type, there are three that stuck out to me: (1) Endangered/Physical; (2) Other adult missing; and (3) Involuntary Disappearance. Any idea why MT is listed as #2 "Other adult missing"?

Jmo but if the body is Mollie’s at least her family will soon know. If the body belongs to another woman, that does not change Mollie’s situation...just means she has not been found yet. And that another woman is dead.

Since location is close to Missouri I wanted to bring back this article of a recent attempted abduction of a jogger in Missouri. She got away and the guy driving the black van is still on the loose.

May not have anything to do with either Mollie or the body found but since Missouri has been mentioned I wanted to bring this up again. It sounds so scary what he tried to do.

Man tries to abduct young female in Miner, MO, still at large

So question - on the link for missing persons, under incident type, there are three that stuck out to me: (1) Endangered/Physical; (2) Other adult missing; and (3) Involuntary Disappearance. Any idea why MT is listed as #2 "Other adult missing"?

Because they don't now for sure if she is missing involuntarily.

We also don't know the condition of the body. As hard as it sounds, could be beyond recognition. LE may not be willing to confirm anything until further DNA testing.

Although I do find it strange LE would give us a hint at all that it it's not believed to be Mollie. Not sure if we should take this as gospel or be skeptical.

Either way, it's a dead woman; tragic. Heart goes out to the family and friends.

If it was beyond recognition, they wouldn't be able to identify it as female, or at least not by age.

Exactly and is why I would never voluntarily take one ever. They are not reliable. Period.

And also for other reasons like has been said numerous times that LE will sometimes lie to a suspect during interrogation. So you cant even trust LE with telling you accurate results of the test they are giving you.
You may have passed it with flying colors and they could lie to you and tell you that you failed.

And if there is a leak to the news media (also known to happen) of lied about test results then you could have your life ruined by lied about test results.

Nope. No way would I ever voluntarily take one no matter how innocent I am.
They don’t ask everyone to take a poly. As usual LE keeping info close to the vest as to not jeopardize the integrity of the investigation. I believe they have something other than the stalking charges. I bet
Pure speculation, he may be afraid incremental crimes may be uncovered in addition to what he has been charged for *in the past*. (Taking Mollie's disappearance out of the equation for the moment).
In addition, he may just be flat out scared.
Or he may be involved

I find the refusal to take a polygraph highly hinky, given how apparently accommodating he has been with all other LE requests.
I'm trying to get caught up before I reply but I had to chime in here, I think that is the EXACT reason I would have declined if I were him...he did everything they asked, was never told he was a suspect yet the next thing he knows he's being crucified on the internet for everything from his bald head to his socks. Honestly if I were him I probably wouldn't have just declined I would have outright laughed at them too.

Look I'd love to be wrong because it would mean closure for this case has come, and I don't discount that they have been brought to that property for a good reason. But I don't see it being him even if the last ping-that's-not-really-a-ping was from his property. It could be as simple as say she willingly got into the car of a friend who had ulterior motives, and somewhere on the way out of town she realized things were not as they seemed and she goes for her phone to call 911 and he throws it out the window near this guy's property. No its not been found, but there were storms and high winds right after and its natural rugged terrain so it could be buried or carried away by stream, etc.

Now the little tidbit brought up about some mutual connection he and MT share is interesting, I wish I knew more on that and maybe that changes things.

We could go back and forth forever on polygraphs, but if 20 people took one, and only one failed....there could at least be a direction.
You used the same word I also do, "direction". I have always said I consider polygraphs good "directionally". IMO, a poly is only as good as the examiner administering it. If it's one of the agency polygraphs, you can be assured it's going to get some solid "directional" results.

I've been away for a few days but had time to think about some loose ends, stuff that keeps nagging at me and a handful of factors that make this case unusual:

1. Growing up in the Midwest and being something of a crime-watcher even as a youngster, I used to see families put up rewards in cases that were obviously hopeless. Maybe it's a way of "taking action" when all else seems lost.

On the other hand, LE sometimes uses reward posting as a tool to manipulate the behavior of various POIs. Who seems nervous when a $100k, for example, reward is announced? Who leaves town? Who tries to hire a 3rd party to call in the tip and collect the reward (in hopes of splitting it later on)?

Other times, a reward is just a reward when there are no solid leads and LE hopes an otherwise reluctant citizen will come forward (a non-documented immigrant, or an ex-con who knows his/her past will be publicized, even if he/she had nothing to do with the crime in question.

In Missouri and Kansas back in the 1970s, there were numerous mob-related killings where reward money brought out otherwise fearful (of reprisal) people to report suspicious happenings. Money can be a powerful motivator in situations like the MT case, and large rewards can bring frightened, camera-shy (for whatever reason) people out of "hiding."

<modsnipped- sleuthing non poi social media>

3. Initially, there was a lot of confusion and word-play on the part of the MSM and others about MT's clothing. It changed from "black running bra" to "running top," to "pink running top," to several other permutations of those words. Odd, that. I own running tops and bras and never confuse their colors or names. In the non-running community, the term "bra" is often misunderstood, which is why I suspect MSM was dabbling in a bit of word manipulation so as to "clean up" an unintended initial impression.
<modsnipped>

6. Has there been any comment/discussion about MT's attitude toward marriage? Was she looking forward to the trip for the trip's sake, or also for the fact that her BF's brother and fiance were getting hitched? Weddings (and funerals) bring out some pretty weird behavior in certain people, especially if they're already in a difficult place in their lives.

7. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe this will not end well, and that someone close by knows all the answers. If you are of the praying kind, please join me in doing a bit of "knee time" for MT's family today. They deserve all the help we can give them, even if it's just a whispered prayer or two to the Almighty, asking to bring them comfort during this painful ordeal.

[[ Edited to remove a stray word ]]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. Latest Des Moines feed to my inbox also not thought to be Mollie. WTHeck is going on out there???

Sadly, with the nationwide opioid crisis, the body found could very easily be a drug overdose death of someone perhaps homeless or transient who had not been reported missing. Perhaps the body clearly did not match the physical description of Mollie, but the wording certainly leaves open the possibility that it could be Mollie, but stated as it was because it has not been positively identified yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!