Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many are getting invested in the fit bit and what information that provides. Let’s not forget she had her phone ( I7) take a look at your own apps. Unless she had locations turned off which is highly unlikely because she had a fit bit and used it daily , numerous apps have location. Standard for data retrivial for marketing. I have NO doubt that LE knows exactly where her last location was before phone went dead or tossed. It was around the pig farm. That doesn’t mean that’s where she is but that’s the last vicinity of her known location.

I would direct you to yesterday evenings Daily Mail article for that information.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. A quick google search turned up way more interesting information than I anticipated. Based on what I just dug up, I'd imagine that LE has been all over that already.

So the bar closed at midnight on July 18th. What time does the hardware store ( True Value?) close?

Saturday 8AM–5PM
Sunday Closed
Monday 8AM–6PM
Tuesday 8AM–6PM
Wednesday 8AM–6PM
Thursday 8AM–6PM
Friday 8AM–6PM

PR, I'm a Luddite, so I value your expert knowledge r/t tech. Question: Assuming MT had both with her up until the point of her disappearance, would the info from MT's Fitbit and phone yield the same type of info and the same level of detail r/t her locations and times? Or would one of those devices give LE a better/more detailed picture as to her movements than the other?

I know this was not directed at me but I can try to help as I looked up a lot about how Fitbits work with the phone. It gets complicated and so take with a grain of salt but I think I have it down.

In a nutshell both the Phone companies database and the Fitbit servers database information will be helpful to LE. And what would be even better is if they find one or both of the devices. Here is why.

The Fitbit database will have more than just location pulled from the phone and the fitbit will have her heartbeat rhythm and other important things that LE would be looking at. So both are important for different reasons.

Basically the model of Fitbit she had means she downloaded the APP that uses the Phones GPS information. The Fitbit device itself will always pull the latest GPS information from the phone but the Server database that LE is looking at will only see the latest "syncing". The Fitbit Server used by the company is the part that is involved with Syncing.

"Syncing is the process that transfers the data your device collects to your Fitbit dashboard. " (link below has much more).

So without the actual Fitbit device, then LE is only looking at the server information which would be the last time the Fitbit was synced. Syncing is setup by the user when they want it synced.

So if LE finds the actual Fitbit device on side of the road then they can sync it themselves and get even more information so long as it was near her phone. Even if it was not near her phone and she still had it on her wrist then the Fitbit device will still be logging heartbeat and other things so its still important to find the device itself.

The phone of course will have GPS turned on and so LE can also use the Phone companies servers to try to get as much information as possible from the phone information. They can get location of the phone in two different ways.
1-One is the GPS location so long as she had GPS turned on and likely she did because she used it with the Fitbit.
2-they can also approximate the phones location based on which towers it was pinging off of.

So bottom line is both devices and both companies computer servers are important to get information from. Finding the Fitbit device itself and the phone itself is also important because then they can get even more current information in addition to the obvious reason which is where that device is found.

Hope this helps.

Fitbit Help - How do Fitbit devices sync their data?

Last edited:
Trying to remember - were search dogs brought in on any of the searches of WC's place?

I'm not sure how many of you followed the Cosmo DiNardo case, where and and his cousin murdered and buried four young men. The dogs brought in were able to locate at least one of the young men, even though they were buried approx. 10 feet underground.

Where I live, we have an app called Nextdoor for neighbors and community to share information.

We do too, and it is a mixed blessing. There are legitimate alerts that are posted such as a recent string of car break-ins in a few nearby neighborhoods. There were warnings to park in your garage, lock your vehicles, hide valuables, etc.

There are also many posts that are made when a stranger parks in front of someone’s home, especially if that person is of a different color or driving a vehicle that is older, damaged, has a donut tire, etc. Alerts are sent out and usually the dangerous stranger turns out to be someone hired to work on the lawn, or visiting someone at the residence.

Wonder if most female runners would even notice a stalker? All the ones I see have on headphones and are often even trying to text...one woman (extremely skinny...I mean maybe 80 lbs ) goes along as if in a trance near my apt, many times a day. I have had a stalker...like most cases, an ex. I do think stranger stalkers are more rare, making for better TV plots.

I have had 2 stalkers. One was known to me ( school bus driver) I reported him to my principal... nothing done. Thankfully I got my license and didn't have to take the bus anymore. Second in college, never found out who it was although I have a couple ideas. It is very scary and unsettling, and this was way before the days of social media. Poor Mollie..

Wonder if most female runners would even notice a stalker? All the ones I see have on headphones and are often even trying to text...one woman (extremely skinny...I mean maybe 80 lbs ) goes along as if in a trance near my apt, many times a day. I have had a stalker...like most cases, an ex. I do think stranger stalkers are more rare, making for better TV plots.

I absolutely do notice everything around me when walking. I don't use headphones and am not texting on my phone. I just walk, observe what's around me, and enjoy myself.

I've been thinking about the timing and place of the abduction.

I was favoring an abduction after 10pm and before 7.30am, but I'm now changing my mind to before Mollie returned home from the jog.

In the house there are two powerful dogs who are likely to be protective of Mollie. Who would know the dogs would be in the basement right at the time Mollie is abducted? Yet it's very convenient for an attacker that the dogs were in the basement.

There's also been talk on here that it could be someone who knew Mollie's bf and his brother and fiancee were out of town. But if Mollie is taken while on the run no one needs to know that the house is otherwise empty of humans and that they'll have extra hours before Mollie is missed.

So this could point to someone with a lesser connection to Mollie and a lesser knowledge of what's happening in her life that week and that particular evening. It could still be a peripheral character in the town, or the local towns, and what I'm seeing in G maps of the roads suggests to me that is more likely than a complete outsider, but an abduction while still out on the run reduces so many 'problems' and 'coincidences'.

This explains the jogging clothing being the main outfit LE have mentioned in connection with Mollie. It explains why we don't really have any solid claim of someone having a text or snapchat 'conversation' with Mollie after 7.30pm. The snapchat sent to DJ could have been sent earlier, the suggestion that it was a 'goodnight' snap seems to have disappeared lately so if DJ thought Mollie was going on the jog at 7.30 and didn't even check for more messages from Mollie after that, she might have sent one more to him between 7.30 and 7.45pm that he didn't pick up until 10pm. This explains why Mollie didn't go to her mom's for dinner or even leftovers. The only thing it doesn't explain, that I can think of, is the part about Mollie returning and doing homework after the run, but the homework could have been an error or a fishing expedition by LE.

I agree that this may be someone that may not have a strong connection with Mollie, but could still be a peripheral character in the town, or the local towns. Perhaps someone had business or personal reasons which placed them on the road she jogs, and just happened upon her while she was jogging. JMO

In regards to WC, I'm not even remotely looking at him. Here's what I assume happened, can't prove it, don't have sources, just imo. Mollie is missing and people in the area all know who THAT guy is, the one who raises the hackles of women in the area. So someone calls in and says "hey, probably nothing, but this guy has a history of issues with women, and he lives on a pig farm that he was raised on". Any LE is going to do a thorough check and bring the man in for questioning, it's part history of the guy and a CYA move. There's nothing about WC, including his history, that would link him to this kind of thing. He's nervous, and rightly so, it's a small town and girl is missing and he until she's found and the abductor admits it, he's in the crosshairs of every resident in that town. Personally I think he was promised by the reporter if he gave an interview they'd help him clear his name, he got flustered when he realized where things were going and couldn't stop the interview without looking even more guilty. Seems like a bit of a curmudgeon, definitely has boundary issues, but I don't see him going from his previous crimes to abduction. It doesn't fit. He and Mollie weren't in a previous relationship, and his previous issues were with women he was in relationship with.

Agreed.

Look, just because he's 'stalked' an ex doesn't mean he's a psycho killer. Frankly, WC probably hasn't had a long list of gfs in his life and, when a relationship(s) has ended, he's had a difficult time letting go. I'm not saying he's an innocent man. Who, among us, IS? But I *am* saying that his past does NOT make him guilty of kidnapping (and, likely, killing) anyone. Perhaps LE does have damning evidence against him...but, at this point in time, all we here at Websleuths know is that he has been fully cooperative (aside from possibly declining a polygraph, which I would also do, and I'm infamous for not even killing insects).

Was the BGM High School football team undergoing two-a-day practice or weight lifting on the evening of July 18th? Their first scrimmage is next week, so they must be practicing. Does anyone know what time their practices begin and end in the evenings?

The BGM High School is south on Rt. 398 to get to Mollie's mom's house. It's the only road to get to Mollie's mom's house from the inner area of Brooklyn where Mollie ran. There aren't a lot of businesses on Rt. 398 towards the high school and Mollie's mom's house, but it's not a desolate road.

BGM High School has many security cameras. If Mollie ran past the high school on the way to her mom's house to eat brats (and then disappeared), one of their cameras should have recorded her.

Mollie's mom lives on Bear Dr. which is north of the high school on Rt. 398.
BGM board moves forward with auditorium
Very very interesting idea. Local football players driving home or driving to practice or weight lifting perhaps/most likely would have noticed MT jogging. Don't think other ideas could be floated now based on TOS, but I'm not sure? This might also be connected to the two MT brothers wearing tee's from the HS football team at the first PC even though I only believe 1 brother is in HS. Coincidence or not? Very curious indeed.

That moment when you have a theory but can't find anything on MSM to back it up, arrghhhh!

When the FBI said they were "getting to know Mollie" I think that was more important than I initially gave it credit. Knowing Mollie better would help answer the following question:

Q. Mollie is out running. A car pulls up beside her & the occupant(s) offers her a lift. Would she get in the car if:
(a) She knew the person well
(b) Barely knew the person, but recognised them
(c) Had no idea who the occupant was
(d) The occupant was an official of some description (which often instills a feeling of safety)

I'd love to know the answer to the above so I can squash a theory I am trying to ignore.

Last edited:
Athletic associations have rules about coaches practicing too early before a season starts. http://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Coach-Athlete-Contact-FAQ’s.pdf

It looks like, to me, the first legal start date for high school football might be August 6th.
Calendar - IAHSAA | Iowa High School Athletic Association

So...if this is correct, they were probably not practicing.

Yes, but what alot of schools do to work around the rules is to have fitness training or fitness clinics in advance of official start date set by state. Lots of wiggle room depending on how the rule is written and even whether its enforced. So, depending on the sport, its not unusal that something (non official or official) is happening in advance of official start date even though alot of states have cracked down and tightened up rules.

Saturday 8AM–5PM
Sunday Closed
Monday 8AM–6PM
Tuesday 8AM–6PM
Wednesday 8AM–6PM
Thursday 8AM–6PM
Friday 8AM–6PM

Thank you! So the store was vandalized sometime between 6pm and midnight. I'm going to guess it was after dark which would make it between 9pm and midnight... I still think there might be a connection, but without knowing the nature of the vandalism it's impossible to know. Also can speculate that damage was to the front of the store which is why the bartender noticed as she left work. I would guess either graffiti or broken glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3