Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if this body body turns out not to be Mollie, this type of result is one that everyone should be prepared for, especially as the days and weeks tick by. Hopefully we get more details soon.
As you say, even if it is not Mollie, if this poor person met with foul play -- if it can be determined -- that wouldn't be good news for Mollie and her family. Just one more black cloud over them and over all the Brooklyn folks.
SMH again and again. Deep breaths, folks.

To be fair...the statement issued about dead body in Lee Co. does not CONFIRM anything. Only speculation to use that specific word. There's been nothing more released except for the statement put out by DPS

I don't think it is odd at all. I would never agree to take a polygraph test, for any reason. There is no way of knowing how that might come out. Even if I'm innocent, the polygraph test could backfire on me and raise more suspicions. I would not even be as cooperative as he was. If it was me I would have told them to feel free to search out in the open, and to get a search warrent for anything else. Once you let the cops start questioning you or searching, it just goes on and on, until you finally put a stop to it.

It only takes an investigator to use a partial phrase from a reply, "You used the word 'X' (whatever X is). What did you mean by that?... Why would you use that word (or phrase)?" And off it goes. Maybe you might not have committed the crime they started out looking at you for, but they've got you for other stuff discovered during the course of the investigation. And, it doesn't have to be earth shattering. Buying some marijuana to smoke? Who'd you buy it from? Now that guy is in hot water. That's an example. Having an affair with a co-worker's wife? Now it's on the public record.... Eventually the investigation becomes public, even if only over time. How many Web Sleuths threads have people who have posted after looking at archives? More than one. People naturally try to protect themselves and others, even when they are not connected to a major crime being investigated.

Oh good catch. Yeah. I hadn't thought of decomp related to identification. So it's highly unlikely to be her?

How long does it take to determine the age of bones?
I have been involved in a similar case, body was very decomposed after 1 week due to the heat. There are 5 stages of decomposition. Higher temps = faster decomposition. After 3 weeks, and taking into consideration the outside elements/animals/bugs/flesh flies.... the positive identity would be impossible just to see the body and positively identify one way or the other. They would then have to get a positive ID from prints/dental/DNA. They have to be 100 % positive/accurate when making an announcement, not likelihood or possibly.

*edit to add.. the time frame to positive ID would be fairly quickly and within hours due to LE already having her dental/medical information from the family weeks ago. This is something they would have already requested as part of protocol in missing persons cases. Also with electronic files and communications it speeds up the process even more.

Last edited:
I watched the WC interview this morning on I think Daily Mail. Everytime reporter asked him a question he put his hands somewhere on his face. People lying tend to do this. When I've ever told a lie I notice my hand going up towards my nose and quickly put my hand down. Oops! I think this guy is being dishonest and he refuses to take a polygrapgh. Why? What's he hiding? Has he secretly being watching, spying on MT perhaps with a good set of binoculars? I personally think this guy is suspicious. Pigs are known as one way to get rid of a body. They can demolish human bones like butter. I'm sure WC owning a pig farm knows this. There was a case last year where a couple had fed there young son to a pig/hog it was horrible. I don't want to think this is what happened to Mollie or the others who have gone missing there but perhaps a serial killer on the loose.
yes--I agree
some people are naturally like that
...but as I've stated before there are other factors that point to him as very suspicious + his odd behavior in the video = highly suspicious
...are there other males somewhat like him in the area?
...what are the chances he, ---with very odd/suspicious aspects-- and is living in the area near where MT vanished?
...has anyone found more details on his previous stalkings?

Yeah. There’s a couple of ways to read that quote. Either they are indicating that they don’t believe it to be her, or they are saying we don’t currently have a reason to believe it is her. It’s been so long that I would expect decomposition to be quite extensive. And the fact that they were able to apparently determine her age within such a small window of years, leads me to believe this body is not badly decomposed, and likely not Mollie.
We really would have no way of knowing re decomposition unless the body has been out there for months, if determinable -- whoever it is, she could have been kept alive after capture and held for however long.

Oh, nothing is solid here, just nothing.

"Some guy grabbed her" sounds to me like another way of saying "a random abduction by a stranger." It's a solid possibility--why would we think it was a strange thing to say?
The reason I think the comment is odd is that he is standing on his front stoop with a mike in his face having questions fired at him by a reporter and he could have said any number of things that were totally unremarkable. Instead, what does he do? He says 'some guy grabbed her'. Of all the things to say in a clearly uncomfortable situation, why say what he said? Did he say it to demonstrate inside knowledge or was he plain stupid? Who knows? He could have simply said 'I don't know', 'no comment' or 'that's your job to figure out' etc. Entire exchange was awkward IMO.

He gave permission for them to search the property which he owns, which is not a pig farm or a hog farm, but near one. He previously owned a pig farm.

To clarify even further, ‘pig farm’ is a bit of a misnomer. Many big agribusinesses purchase just the land the hog confinement buildings are on, which is often 3-5 acres. The footprint of the operation includes a short accessway to a road, often there is an office, and then the hog confinement building (finishing building) with the ‘pit’ underneath. All of this on that 3-5 acres. Instead of thinking of this as a ‘farm’ think of it as a ‘factory’. If a farming family sells land for a CAFO, they often will retain ownership of the crop acreage surrounding it, and will either farm or lease out the land for corn/soybeans.

Not being snarky, and I think we all hope you are right, but, other than the fact that Mollie's body has not been found, what reason does anyone have to believe she is still alive??

It has been reported by those that know and love her, that this type of disappearing act is entirely out of character for her.
She has not contacted a single family member, friend or loved one. That we're aware of.
She took none of her belongings with her, minus her fitbit and phone. That we're aware of.
I'm entirely confident LE has been able to access her SM accounts and financial accounts and have likely seen zero activity there since she disappeared. I have no proof of this of course but the urgency and the amount of LE involved would indicate this is likely the case.

Sadly, all indications are pointing to her no longer being alive. Is it possible she's being held against her will somewhere? Sure. But it's very rare that sort of thing happens.

moo

I've been away for a few days but had time to think about some loose ends, stuff that keeps nagging at me and a handful of factors that make this case unusual:

1. Growing up in the Midwest and being something of a crime-watcher even as a youngster, I used to see families put up rewards in cases that were obviously hopeless. Maybe it's a way of "taking action" when all else seems lost.

On the other hand, LE sometimes uses reward posting as a tool to manipulate the behavior of various POIs. Who seems nervous when a $100k, for example, reward is announced? Who leaves town? Who tries to hire a 3rd party to call in the tip and collect the reward (in hopes of splitting it later on)?

Other times, a reward is just a reward when there are no solid leads and LE hopes an otherwise reluctant citizen will come forward (a non-documented immigrant, or an ex-con who knows his/her past will be publicized, even if he/she had nothing to do with the crime in question.

In Missouri and Kansas back in the 1970s, there were numerous mob-related killings where reward money brought out otherwise fearful (of reprisal) people to report suspicious happenings. Money can be a powerful motivator in situations like the MT case, and large rewards can bring frightened, camera-shy (for whatever reason) people out of "hiding."

<modsnipped>

3. Initially, there was a lot of confusion and word-play on the part of the MSM and others about MT's clothing. It changed from "black running bra" to "running top," to "pink running top," to several other permutations of those words. Odd, that. I own running tops and bras and never confuse their colors or names. In the non-running community, the term "bra" is often misunderstood, which is why I suspect MSM was dabbling in a bit of word manipulation so as to "clean up" an unintended initial impression.

<modsnipped>

6. Has there been any comment/discussion about MT's attitude toward marriage? Was she looking forward to the trip for the trip's sake, or also for the fact that her BF's brother and fiance were getting hitched? Weddings (and funerals) bring out some pretty weird behavior in certain people, especially if they're already in a difficult place in their lives.

7. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe this will not end well, and that someone close by knows all the answers. If you are of the praying kind, please join me in doing a bit of "knee time" for MT's family today. They deserve all the help we can give them, even if it's just a whispered prayer or two to the Almighty, asking to bring them comfort during this painful ordeal.

[[ Edited to remove a stray word ]]
Oh my goodness! I made reference to an online oddity I had noticed regarding your points #2 and #4 yesterday, and the moderator snipped it within minutes. It was the first time I had ever posted anything on any social media forum so I felt horrible and my next post was an apology. I was told not to “sleuth” family or something along those lines. I only used initials and did not reference the post but it was still snipped. So, I decided not to log in and post anything else but instead just continue lurking like I had for years. But I just had to log in and comment are your post. I can’t believe it hasn’t been snipped like mine. All your points are very valid and I have a lot to add but will refrain. Great points though! Good insight!

Pack up your stuff and move on over to the new thread:

IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

i3gww8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads