Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. LLTNS! I cant believe the last time I posted was in April. I am finally being able to throughly enjoy being with my hubby who finally retired this year.

I have been following Mollie's case in the news. I have felt from the beginning the suspect is from the area who knew Mollie would be alone, and knew the other three would be gone. In such small towns that could have been overheard at a convenience store. I do believe LE knows much more than they are saying.

I tend to believe the red shirt found has relevancy to the case because LE began to really search that area extensively. If they thought it had no link, such as, wrong size, aged, and ragged I do not believe they would have been this interested with that area. I also think the tech data is pointing them to this general area.

It wouldn't surprise me if the suspect is known to Mollie even if it is not closely. I tend to believe she made it back from her jog and was taken later. That is just speculation on my part since LE seems to want to keep the timeline a secret. I do believe they do know the approximate time the abduction took place and where. Whoever this is could have waited until she finished her jog and then waited until much later.....even in the early hours of the next morning to enter the home.

Imo, I think one of the reasons LE doesn't want to announce a specific time she was taken is because they want the suspect to think they think she was taken during her jog. If that is not the case then if he created a false alibi it would not be for the time they know she was taken. LE wants to keep him guessing on what they actually have discovered and know. I do think they do have particular POIs and are narrowing it down to one.

I think they are looking for one suspect. I do not believe more than one was involved. One person unfortunately could easily abduct a petite young woman and it has happened so many times before by one lone perp.

I wish I believed she is being held against her will somewhere, but rarely is that the outcome, and much more often the victim met their demise within less than 24 hours of being taken.

I don't know who the suspect will turnout to be in the end, but it very well could be someone Mollie thought could be trusted in her community. Maybe someone she wasn't even close to but a friendly familiar face. I think Mollie would have opened the door if she heard a knock even if it was late or early morning. She, like all there, felt safe in this small close knit community until this happened.

It also would not surprise me if the suspect is hiding in plain sight, and may have even attended searches.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I have missed all of you, and maybe I will have more time in the future to post more often. :)

Ocean
Best post ever. Everything here makes sense. I also thought this. It has to be a neighbor, someone no one would expect imo.

For us old people please explain Canvas.

Online courses use a third party interface/LMS such as D2L, Blackboard, Canvas. The earliest LMS was WebCT. To access an online course, students typically login to the institution and then click on a link that takes them to the LMS.

Students login to the LMS where the entire course is laid out including weekly readings, online meetings, assignments, quizzes, and discussions. Quizzes and assignments are submitted online, feedback and grades are provided through the LMS. My experience with Canvas was that it was not integrated with the University system, instead the instructor set up the course and enrolled students in the online course (using email address) independent of the university. Canvas remembered my password, and there was no timeout.

The University of Iowa is transitioning from D2L to Canvas after completing a pilot project using Canvas open source free software.

Does that make sense?

I read one article that stated the dogs were still locked in the basement when the house was accessed (by the boyfriend I think). He said she always let the dogs out of the basement when she came home.
Ok. Thank you. That information can narrow some possibilities down if true.

I don't get it. If she "typically" collected the car in the evenings....why the heck was no one concerned she didn't show up to get it?? Or that she never responded about the hot dog dinner? I really don't think the family is involved but as a mom, I cannot understand why these non-typical actions didn't raise a red flag sooner...

I've avoided making much of this as we do/did not know the nature of their relationship and whether or not this was typical (ask about dinner, decide not to show up). Now that it has been reported that it was typical at least that she generally picked up the vehicle at night, I wonder a bit more. Could it be that she often comes late at night and maybe neither brother or mom even realized she didn't come until 7:30 Thursday am when he texted her? Or, maybe it was typical that maybe 50% of the time she used that vehicle and other times she got rides or used her boyfriend's truck when home.

Early on I wondered if she did make it home but no one was home to see her before she was abducted/harmed. Given that LE is very confident in their timeline, I suspect they know where she disappeared from and when so this is all moot. MOO.

What LMS did you use for your course?
Was the time out related to the institution, or the LMS?

I used LoudCloud.. never used Canvas but I did some googling and found info regarding the auto logout on Canvas. I think a lot of sites use this because of privacy concerns.
Here’s a discussion about it:

Session Log-Out Warning | Canvas LMS Community

It sounds like it is up to the institution to determine the length of inactivity before the student is logged out.

We are not to sleuth family or the family's social media.
Yes, I understand. And I certainly appreciation and commend your effort to avoid the unnecessary slander of the individuals who are no doubt living out a family’s worst nightmare. However, I’m a little confused when a poster is speaking in generalities about relationship dynamics and the perimeters of one’s inner circle solely based on what the public has been told about this particular situation. If no names are used and no links attached, where lies the permanency of online association? Certainly, many people have a brother or a bf or a bf’s brother or a brother’s fiancé.... But far fewer have a pig farmer with the initials WC whose property near Brooklyn Iowa has been google mapped all over this site. Please don’t take these questions and comments negatively; in fact, I am truly wanting to define and clearly understand the boundaries set for posting. This is the only online social forum I have ever felt compelled to comment upon. So, obviously, I wholly respect the value of this type of community forum. That is, a community of strangers who care enough about another “stranger” that we are willing to take the time to brainstorm together all for the unlikely and remote chance that we might somehow be able to unite a young lady with her family. I just simply want to better understand what can and can not be stated. I really am grateful for your work as a moderator of this site. The work you do most definitely insures that this site maintains both respectability and sensitivity to those intimately involved. And, of course, those individuals are the ones who truly matter in such a heart wrenching scenario as a missing loved one. Thank you!

I second this, I’ve used Canvas extensively on both the student and instructor side. The U of I uses ICON for web courses, which is Canvas, branded for the University.
Then would that mean anyone that has MT password could sign into the system and system wouldn't be aware. Also if she left the screen open and left the house for whatever reason, then anyone could be on the system in her absence and there would be no way to verify that it is her online working?

I've avoided making much of this as we do/did not know the nature of their relationship and whether or not this was typical (ask about dinner, decide not to show up). Now that it has been reported that it was typical at least that she generally picked up the vehicle at night, I wonder a bit more. Could it be that she often comes late at night and maybe neither brother or mom even realized she didn't come until 7:30 Thursday am when he texted her? Or, maybe it was typical that maybe 50% of the time she used that vehicle and other times she got rides or used her boyfriend's truck when home.

Early on I wondered if she did make it home but no one was home to see her before she was abducted/harmed. Given that LE is very confident in their timeline, I suspect they know where she disappeared from and when so this is all moot. MOO.
Exactly. They would have known she didn't go to work if the car was never picked up. So maybe this wasn't a usual habit all of the time.

I think they are marking their spot in a thread so they can easily find where they left off reading that thread (via an option in their own user name profile).

Maybe?
Thank you. I thought that, too, but there's a "watch thread" button for that. Just confusing to me.... :mad:

I think they are marking their spot in a thread so they can easily find where they left off reading that thread (via an option in their own user name profile).

Maybe?
I don’t know about here but if you do that on FB post, you get alerted to posts after you.

In a July of 2013, a 30-yr old suburban Kansas City man, Chad Rogers, never returned home to his wife and young child after going out running. For 4 days, the residents of the suburb, (Liberty, MO) searched endlessly for him. It was like he’d vanished without a trace. Foul play and conspiracy theories were rampant until his body was recovered 4 days later, found locked inside a portable toilet at a construction site two miles from home. He’d stopped to relieve himself and died of a non-symptomatic congenital heart problem in the portable toilet. He was not found by LE, but by a construction worker.

I can’t shake the feeling MT may have had a medical event while out on her run. Her twitter account contains a tweet explaining that early in high school she’d had what she described as “breathing problems”, but she didn’t elaborate on what those were.

I used LoudCloud.. never used Canvas but I did some googling and found info regarding the auto logout on Canvas. I think a lot of sites use this because of privacy concerns.
Here’s a discussion about it:

Session Log-Out Warning | Canvas LMS Community

It sounds like it is up to the institution to determine the length of inactivity before the student is logged out.

What that means is that Canvas is not timing out, but that the university login system, called CAS, is logging students out. That was an issue from 2016 and we can be sure that there is now a workaround such that the university CAS system no longer times-out Canvas.

It did, as far as I know. It happened, I’m not disputing that. But other than the report, there has been nothing.
I read it in the article that talked about the barkeep saying she didn't see anything unusual that night and that she didn't remember any out of towners in the bar. The comment about the hardware store was made at the end of the article and she just said it was vandalism and that she reported it.

..I'm ''constantly'' thinking about communication/lack of/the communication from my daughters and wife
...however--I come from a ''bad hood''
..security awareness is second nature to me
..I might question the smallest, least suspicious detail--not because I'm insane/obsessed-but because it is second nature
..some people are not like that
..the Japanese were bombing Pearl Harbor and some thought it was the US training--an attack was the farthest thing from their minds
..some Olympic athletes helped the terrorists climb the fences for the 1972 attack on the Israelis
..for some, security awareness is far from their minds
..some of these people in Brooklyn said they never locked their doors--this after many previous high profile murders/crime in the US
..I double check my doors at night and make sure they are locked during the day

I completely agree. I think mom and brothers just assumed she decided not to come for dinner. A lot of reasons for this, maybe they knew she was working on a paper, thought she was talking to boyfriend and lost track of time, fell asleep and took a nap after a busy day. Being a parent of a 20 year old woman is not an easy thing ( ask me how I know) especially the first summer back from college. It is a balance between letting them have their independence while still taking an interest in their safety. Assuming Mollie was taken jogging perhaps it's a good idea to make sure women have the ability to call 911 and quickly when they are out alone. I know that Apple watches have the ability to call 911 fast without entering a pin. Is this something that newer models of a fitbit can also do? If Mollie had had this capability it might have saved her life.

Exactly. Plus dog hair can transfer. So if they found a suspects car or clothes with possible dog hair transfer. Then they can compare it if needed.

Exactly. The Atlanta Monster Podcast (which covered a serial killer in ATL a long time ago) had carpet fibers that matched the guy who is convicted of the crimes and the were very very small in size. I imagine dog hair is much easier to transport and catch if they have any evidence to compare to.

Also, I am now wondering is there is a SK in Iowa with all of these missing people and bodies being found. I had no idea, until this case that there are so many 20 ish yr old girls missing from the area. Could be a SK or high trafficking area although I know most traffic victims leave on their own at first but not ALL of them do.

IMHO

Last edited:
In a July of 2013, a 30-yr old suburban Kansas City man, Chad Rogers, never returned home to his wife and young child after going out running. For 4 days, the residents of the suburb, (Liberty, MO) searched endlessly for him. It was like he’d vanished without a trace. Foul play and conspiracy theories were rampant until his body was recovered 4 days later, found locked inside a portable toilet at a construction site two miles from home. He’d stopped to relieve himself and died of a non-symptomatic congenital heart problem in the portable toilet. He was not found by LE, but by a construction worker.

I can’t shake the feeling MT may have had a medical event while out on her run. Her twitter account contains a tweet explaining that early in high school she’d had what she described as “breathing problems”, but she didn’t elaborate on what those were.
Both LE and the public, have searched throughly along her running route, and all over that immediate area. If this happened, I can’t imagine that she hasn’t been located yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper