Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I proposed the same theory in a previous thread. She would likely also put the dogs in the basement before she left. I guess the only issue is that I would think that she might send a text first, to let her mom know she was on her way. I’m confident that law enforcement has this nailed down though, by their statement that they are confident in their timeline.

I'm curious, if this was the case, what would you postulate differently than what you might based on the currently assumed and accepted facts?

I'm not understanding the point of batting back and forth ideas that are relatively trivial given the case as we currently understand it.

Good evening - earlier today I took a trip to Brooklyn, WC's, Deep River and Guernsey ( I live on the IL side of the IA/IL border - about 1.5 hours east of Brooklyn) and thought I'd share it with you all (please note - I tried posting this earlier but got a "database error" and wasn't able to).

Observations as follows: (certainly some of what I'm going to write can be gleaned from a map on the Internet, but to me there's nothing like going there and observing things first hand).

Turning north from interstate 80 - there are NO Mising Mollie signs on the side of the road leading to Brooklyn (approx. 2 miles to the south edge of town) - struck me as odd.

However - virtually all of the businesses in Brooklyn have a small missing poster in their windows, and there are maybe a couple dozen or so yards that have a missing sign - I didn't drive every road in town - but it wouldn't take long to do.

Most of the cars along the road that DJ's house is on have a sign on them!

There is no sign in DJ's yard; but there's one on the corner directly to the west.

MT's mothers house is in what looks to be the newest and most affluent part of town.

Town is split into a north and south section via the railroad track that runs east to west.

The north side appears to be more affluent, roads have curbs, houses (with a few exceptions) are kept up very well.

Drove by the fire station - about ten cars there; no one was visible outside - nothing seemed odd.

Curbs have the name of the street embossed in them - I've been to forty US states and eight other countries and have never noticed that anywhere - unique - to me at least.

Very few people were out on a warm Summer afternoon; a few kids on bikes, about ten people were downtown - seemed to be a family outing or something - varying ages - and all seemed to be headed to or already in the shade to beat the heat.

Seems to me this is a very sleepy town - and very small!

The south side of town seems to be unincorporated - as it's technically not connected to the north side and the streets have no curbs and the houses for the most part - aren't nearly as nice nor kept up like those to the north.

Everywhere I went, if people were out, they waved - as previously noted - that's small town Midwest life.

I drive a red Cadillac suv and to me it seemed to be out of place - but no one gave me the stink eye, etc.

One older gent was driving his golf cart around. - and waved.

My point to all of that verbiage is that this is like a Mayberry type of a town - no graffiti, etc.

CONCLUSION - if a young girl was abducted, etc. - someone saw something!!!

Next I headed to WC's location.

Upon turning down his gravel road (from the hard road) I noticed three small suv's parked in the entrance to the hog farm/confinement that you come across first as you travel east to west.

None of the suv's had any markings on them; they were all nondescript (one of them had a younger woman/girl at the wheel with dark hair - not LE or Media vehicles - unless they were trying to be inconspicuous? - which was impossible given where and how they were parked - kind of haphazardly).

I traveled past WC's and noticed no vehicles outside, no people either - about a dozen cattle were in the barn/small feedlot in front of barn) that was adjacent to or most likely a part of WC's on the east side of the property.

I drove about a mile past and turned around to take another look - passed by many other farms/homesteads along the way.

Driving past WC's the second time - I noticed an older car (1990's) backed into one of two garage stalls - and the other stall was empty.

Place was tidy; seemed like a normal homestead.

No wow factor in any way.

Driving east now back towards the paved road - I got another look at the three suv's - each had plates from different local states - IA, IL and NE - hmmmmmmm???

I then headed to Deep River and it's a tiny place, very old; missing Mollie posters were in the windows of the bank and post office - which also looked like the only viable businesses in town - from a retail perspective that is.

I then headed to Guernsey on my way home - also a tiny place and I couldn't ascertain if there was even one viable businesses there - looked to be a true "bedroom community ".

I mention those two towns as I rembered reading that WC stated in an interview that he never traveled to Brooklyn - well these two places I mentioned have virtually nothing to offer - in terms of buying much of anything- so my guess is he does business in What Cheer.

Also - to me - interstate 80 seemed like a line/border that once I crossed it and was in WC's area - it felt more normal/made sense to me - that if I lived where WC does - I'd probably go to What Cheer - unless I was raised to patronize the businesses in Brooklyn.

Appreciate anyone that's read thus far and I apologize for the length of this post!

IN SUMMARY - Abduction is where my head goes; and it happened during the jog - as the house didn't show signs of a struggle (if I remember that correctly?).

Please Note : I also live alone, am a private person and I can guarantee you I would never, ever allow anyone access to my house and cell phone - and I've never committed a crime beyond a speeding ticket!

Thus - for WC to turn over his cell phone (and overnight to boot), allow his house and property to be searched AND answer questions for two hours - tells me A LOT!!!

Also - one of my Uncles and Grandfathers were both police officers in the small town my mother grew up (in Western Iowa) and I would never, ever take a lie detector test either - to me, it has a HUGE downside and a Miniscule Upside!

Thanks again, take care and I hope Mollie is found safe and sound!
If you make that trip again continue West from Deep River and check out Montezuma. That’s where the Deep River folks would likely go groceries and such.

About her eyesight, she is near sighted. One of her family members said she needed them for driving, and I think it was her aunt who said she can't see anything without them.

If the answer is that she is near sighted (or far sighted) how does that impact your thoughts on this case? Just curious as I'm not sure the significance of this detail.

I don't believe her. If she saw this, I would think she would have mentioned it sooner - like maybe 2 or so weeks ago. And if she just thought about it, how does she know she had the right date? I could be wrong, but you've got to wonder if she wants to insert herself into the investigation for attention, or if she wants the reward (which if it's false, she wouldn't get anyway). JMO

I was surprised reading this that she said she reported to the FBI and they apparently didn't tell her not to disclose it to the media or discuss it with anyone. Maybe they told her she could tell the press now? A "leak" from a neighbor may be a lighter touch than an announcement from LE if they want to drip more information out.

If you make that trip again continue West from Deep River and check out Montezuma. That’s where the Deep River folks would likely go groceries and such.

Thank you - and that's the County Seat as well - I believe?

Here’s an optimistic view here. LE being tight lipped means that they have made a lot of progress and don’t think that sharing anything, is going to aid in Mollie’s recovery. You don’t have this type of effort, with all these resources, unless you are confident of a crime. So I discount what they say, and focus on what they are doing. I do think they know when she went missing, and where she went missing from.
Not true at all.

I had that thought too, but the Miner Sheriff says he may be driving different vehicles. Man tries to abduct young female in Miner, MO, still at large

We may be off the deep end or we may have discovered the reason for the large FBI presence. ?
The black SUV perhaps being part of a MO also made me wonder if that was the reason behind the additional agencies. But then I'd think the agent who is speaking at the press conferences would have addressed the public safety question differently. One step forward, two steps back kind of thing.

I am still pondering LE asking if anyone knew “why” Mollie was missing, more than once. Who could know why, assuming she was abducted? What kind of question is that? Or are they still not positive she was abducted? They did say no crime scene, initially, before they stopped talking.
So why ask why? What kind of answer could come from the public?

The "Bring Mollie Home Fund" (as most rewards) has some explicit terms for the benefit of both the victim and donors. If you're really interested, see the Reward Agreement I've uploaded.

Thanks for the link. Unless I missed a page, all that says is that basically the donor can choose to have the funds refunded or donate them to the family after 8/1/202o. Were there other specifics regarding how the tips are received, tipsters vetted, ect?

I hear ya. Has there been a change in WS rules? In my almost 10 years of commenting here I was always under the impression that if you posted a link to a news report using a full name the "Initials Only" rule did not apply.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I respect Tricia too much to violate her rules...even unknowingly.
Tricia posted this morning that she would like us to use this person's initials only. She also said that not every case is handled the same by Websleuths but this is how she wants this person to be referred to unless he is named a POI at some point.

My rule of thumb is to use initials only for every person except the victim. Although I will admit that even though I do use their names, I often feel like I shouldn't.

The black SUV perhaps being part of a MO also made me wonder if that was the reason behind the additional agencies. But then I'd think the agent who is speaking at the press conferences would have addressed the public safety question differently. One step forward, two steps back kind of thing.

Not sure what he would have said without giving anything away. "Be careful of black SUVs"? I remember the white van panic when the DC shooters were active, I'm certain the FBI does as well.

If everyone called in a black SUV - well, there's a lot of them to call in, and not enough investigators to look at even 1% of them.

Thank you - and that's the County Seat as well - I believe?
Yes. Not really a very big town, but that’s where the Deep River kids go to school. I’ve only been there once, it’s kind of out of my way.

Good evening - earlier today I took a trip to Brooklyn, WC's, Deep River and Guernsey ( I live on the IL side of the IA/IL border - about 1.5 hours east of Brooklyn) and thought I'd share it with you all (please note - I tried posting this earlier but got a "database error" and wasn't able to).

Observations as follows: (certainly some of what I'm going to write can be gleaned from a map on the Internet, but to me there's nothing like going there and observing things first hand).

Turning north from interstate 80 - there are NO Mising Mollie signs on the side of the road leading to Brooklyn (approx. 2 miles to the south edge of town) - struck me as odd.

However - virtually all of the businesses in Brooklyn have a small missing poster in their windows, and there are maybe a couple dozen or so yards that have a missing sign - I didn't drive every road in town - but it wouldn't take long to do.

There is no sign in DJ's yard; but there's one on the corner directly to the west.

MT's mothers house is in what looks to be the newest and most affluent part of town.

Town is split into a north and south section via the railroad track that runs east to west.

The north side appears to be more affluent, roads have curbs, houses (with a few exceptions) are kept up very well.

Drove by the fire station - about ten cars there; no one was visible outside - nothing seemed odd.

Curbs have the name of the street embossed in them - I've been to forty US states and eight other countries and have never noticed that anywhere - unique - to me at least.

Very few people were out on a warm Summer afternoon; a few kids on bikes, about ten people were downtown - seemed to be a family outing or something - varying ages - and all seemed to be headed to or already in the shade to beat the heat.

The south side of town seems to be unincorporated - as it's technically not connected to the north side and the streets have no curbs and the houses for the most part - aren't nearly as nice nor kept up like those to the north.

Everywhere I went, if people were out, they waved - as previously noted - that's small town Midwest life.

I drive a red Cadillac suv and to me it seemed to be out of place - but no one gave me the stink eye, etc.

My point to all of that verbiage is that this is like a Mayberry type of a town - no graffiti, etc.

Upon turning down his gravel road (from the hard road) I noticed three small suv's parked in the entrance to the hog farm/confinement that you come across first as you travel east to west.

None of the suv's had any markings on them; they were all nondescript (one of them had a younger woman/girl at the wheel with dark hair - not LE or Media vehicles - unless they were trying to be inconspicuous? - which was impossible given where and how they were parked - kind of haphazardly).

I traveled past WC's and noticed no vehicles outside, no people either - about a dozen cattle were in the barn/small feedlot in front of barn) that was adjacent to or most likely a part of WC's on the east side of the property.

I drove about a mile past and turned around to take another look - passed by many other farms/homesteads along the way.

Driving past WC's the second time - I noticed an older car (1990's) backed into one of two garage stalls - and the other stall was empty.

Driving east now back towards the paved road - I got another look at the three suv's - each had plates from different local states - IA, IL and NE - hmmmmmmm???

I then headed to Deep River and it's a tiny place, very old; missing Mollie posters were in the windows of the bank and post office - which also looked like the only viable businesses in town - from a retail perspective that is.

I then headed to Guernsey on my way home - also a tiny place and I couldn't ascertain if there was even one viable businesses there - looked to be a true "bedroom community ".

I mention those two towns as I rembered reading that WC stated in an interview that he never traveled to Brooklyn - well these two places I mentioned have virtually nothing to offer - in terms of buying much of anything- so my guess is he does business in What Cheer.

Also - to me - interstate 80 seemed like a line/border that once I crossed it and was in WC's area - it felt more normal/made sense to me - that if I lived where WC does - I'd probably go to What Cheer - unless I was raised to patronize the businesses in Brooklyn.

Appreciate anyone that's read thus far and I apologize for the length of this post!

IN SUMMARY - Abduction is where my head goes; and it happened during the jog - as the house didn't show signs of a struggle (if I remember that correctly?).

Please Note : I also live alone, am a private person and I can guarantee you I would never, ever allow anyone access to my house and cell phone - and I've never committed a crime beyond a speeding ticket!

Thus - for WC to turn over his cell phone (and overnight to boot), allow his house and property to be searched AND answer questions for two hours - tells me A LOT!!!

Also - one of my Uncles and Grandfathers were both police officers in the small town my mother grew up (in Western Iowa) and I would never, ever take a lie detector test either - to me, it has a HUGE downside and a Miniscule Upside!

Thank you for taking the time to drive all those areas and share your thoughts about what you saw. It's very helpful for those of us who are not local. Much appreciated! :)

I hope law enforcement is able to clear up matters soon. As the man who has been talked to by the FBI is being convicted and threatened on social media which makes me appreciate and understand why we have rules here at Websleuths.

I hope we get new information otherwise I’m afraid sadly people will start losing interest in the case.

People need to refrain from rushing to judgment. So far, we have few facts, and previous experience tells me to distrust much of what is reported by the media. We could easily find out, down the road, that someone who has attracted zero media or LE attention thus far is the culprit.

I'm not losing interest in the case at all, but I am losing interest in people speculating about a red shirt that may or may not be Mollie's and that she may or may not have been wearing. And other things.

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! It is always nice to 'see' a place through the eyes of someone who has actually been there. The details that you shared made it so much more personal.

I hope that Mollie is found safe and sound as well.

I have been a member here for a little over 6 years, and lurked for quite a while before that. I have followed quite a lot of cases here, though I periodically slip away until something else brings me back. This case brought me back this time, as well as some updates on a cold case from 1972 in my city. Just wanted to say, in cases like this one, I think of an old friend here, who I never met, but always valued his insight, and know that he would be here if he could be. I am sure many of you know who I am talking about....Foxfire. I believe he is up there in Heaven now, watching, and if, God forbid, the worst has happened to Mollie, I am sure he was right there to welcome her with open arms. Rest easy, my friend. We will carry on for you...

Very well stated SteveP. I do miss Foxfire.

Excellent post and observations, thank you!!! Stand by, we may need to deploy you in the future!!!

I know we've talked about how safe the town seemed, but she has lived other places including Oakland, CA. I can't imagine she has zero street smarts and no sense of self-preservation at all.
People in Oakland lock their doors.

I just wanted to mention that for those asking the valid question of how nobody saw anything, I’ve asked myself the same thing many times after standing in the exact spot where Jessica R was abducted. Broad daylight, people would have been walking their dogs, jogging, driving to work, going to school...all the houses are sooooo close together..how on earth nobody saw anything is beyond me...my point is it can happen and nobody can see a thing. All it takes is a few seconds sometimes. I realize that this is “Mayberry” and definitely understand that something out of the ordinary may stand out more than in a larger town, especially since everyone knows everyone and there is less activity due to population.

(O/T imo many people are less aware of their surroundings due to being on their phones and having ear buds in, which sometimes can account for someone not seeing anything. Not saying that’s the case here. Just in general.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megaera