Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The runner who was abducted in Ca Shari Pappini(sp?) was a beautiful young mother who was abducted and branded for a sex ring. Thankfully she survived and escaped.
Does anyone think this might be the case for MT?
The SP case has always been questionable as to whether or not it was a scam. With that being said there have been some people taken for the sex trade. Often tho they are runaways, drug addicts, etc.......the obviously vulnerable on the streets.
I personally don't think a healthy gal in a very rural area out jogging would be a target for a sex trading ring. I do however think if she was abducted it was more than likely for sexual purposes, but more of a personal nature, not for profit. moo

I absolutely believe that. Nobody has put a timeframe on the tips, so it doesn't have to be from 3 weeks ago. It could have been this morning if you go out to get your mail and find a pair of white earbuds. It could be at the grocery store if you see someone open their trunk and there is a pink sports bra in it. It could be this evening when you turn off your TV and hear muffled moans or cries.

If you listen to what LE is saying, they are telling you this. Here is part of what Winker said at the first press conference: You've heard the expression for years now, if you see something, say something. If you observe suspicious activity, don't be afraid to report it. Local law enforcement is our first line of defense and they're all standing right over there for a greater part of Poweshiek County. They are not opposed to go out to suspicious activity calls whether somebody's just alone at night and they hear a noise around their house, they will respond. That's what they get paid to do...
Agree 100%, but I don’t think giving more information then they have to(and possibly compromising their likelihood of catching and prosecuting the perpetrator, would help get better quality tips or necessarily find Mollie any more quickly. What I’m saying is that having the PCs, does keep this in the public eye and then asking for information rather than giving up information is a completely valid way of appealing to the public. I just don’t think that assuming that LE is doing things incorrectly is very helpful overall.

I have zero problem with her dad's choice of words. He had just thanked everyone for helping to find his daughter. How natural to next say - "Let's go get her!"

I heard a cheer and a battle cry all in one. Brilliant. Too bad it didn't come from LE - while a wall of big beefy maybe even scary looking LE growled in agreement or stood looking directly in the camera with steely determination in their eyes!

If your going to have a PC - make it count is my opinion.
Official statements with phrases like “we can’t tell you why she is missing” and characterizations of this as simply “not consistent with her past” kind of stand out too. Oh, and “we think she’s still alive” (DCI spokesman) is a bit less subtle.

So a question for those who are in the camp that a PC that answers no questions is fine (I’m not sure how I feel at this point so I don’t consider it bad. I just don’t know if I consider it good/useful.).

What about the case could be compromised about confirming they suspect foul play? That’s the one thing that keeps me from being 100% in the camp that LE is doing this to protect the investigation. They won’t even say that. To me ‘this is out of character’ is not the same thing. Sure the volume of resources pretty much answers the question but then why the heck not just answer the question? What am I missing about the ramifications of answering at least that question.

So how much longer before this case starts to fade from the national media spotlight? We know the shelf life of attention for most of the viewing public in America is extremely short. Unless some new details are released or surface, maybe a week or two? I really hope that's not the case but we've seen it all before I'm sure.

Have to agree. Nothing says the public has a right to know. And for whatever reason LE is much more comfortable witholding information.

They are simply doing a very difficult job and adhering to criteria best for resolution.

Like it or not that’s the way it is and will remain.

Here is where I respectfully disagree too. While I don't believe the public has a right to know their work building a case I do believe the public has a right to know progress made finding the missing person, exactly how that part of the work was organized, who was in charge, progress reports, and notification of anything LE needs from any of us to help them be successful.

I can't look at any MISSING PERSON case and look past the MISSING PERSON, just can't do it

The SP case has always been questionable as to whether or not it was a scam. With that being said there have been some people taken for the sex trade. Often tho they are runaways, drug addicts, etc.......the obviously vulnerable on the streets.
I personally don't think a healthy gal in a very rural area out jogging would be a target for a sex trading ring. I do however think if she was abducted it was more than likely for sexual purposes, but more of a personal nature, not for profit. moo
Completely agree, if this abduction was for sex industry purposes, the perpetrator would have an incredibly shabby business plan. Vulnerable parties are targeted because there is less heat on them. If every person you took garnered international interest, you probably would not have much longevity in that industry.

I (male) wrote the post yesterday about visiting Brooklyn; please note that I was driving reasonably - with nothing to hide and no evil intentions in mind - and I would assume I only attracted 'normal' attention.

However - if I were to try and abduct someone - I'm guessing there'd be a bit of commotion, my vehicle might be parked in a weird angle, location, etc. - and of those issues would tend to draw more attention than one just merely driving respectfully through the town???
I also took the friendly wave to say, “Welcome to Brooklyn. We’re friendly here, but we see you, so don’t do anything stupid.” Also, you may have raised more suspicion had you not waved back.

btw, thanks for doing the drive-thru

Official statements with phrases like “we can’t tell you why she is missing” and characterizations of this as simply “not consistent with her past” kind of stand out too. Oh, and “we think she’s still alive” (DCI spokesman) is a bit less subtle.

YUCK is the only word which came to mind then and now as I read along.

Here is where I respectfully disagree too. While I don't believe the public has a right to know their work building a case I do believe the public has a right to know progress made finding the missing person, exactly how that part of the work was organized, who was in charge, progress reports, and notification of anything LE needs from any of us to help them be successful.

I can't look at any MISSING PERSON case and look past the MISSING PERSON, just can't do it
I think it is a bold assumption to think that anyone is actually looking past Mollie. If I was LE posted to this case, I would find that assumption very offensive.

Completely agree, if this abduction was for sex industry purposes, the perpetrator would have an incredibly shabby business plan. Vulnerable parties are targeted because there is less heat on them. If every person you took garnered international interest, you probably would not have much longevity in that industry.

Agreed. MT doesn't fit much of your typical sex trafficking profile. She's not a runaway, not a teenager and even a short bit of surveillance of her would yield she's got a solid family structure in place and lives in an extremely small town where someone going missing would definitely be noticed.

Sex traffickers specifically target those who will be missed or noticed the least. They also prefer much younger girls because there's less of a chance of resistance. MT does look younger than 20 but I don't think she could ever pass for 13-15.

There have been many cases where LE bends over backwards to keep the public and media in the loop. They hold pressers and say “we will let you know any new information as we get it”. Other cases, like this one, Delphi murders, missy bevers, LE has the attitude of “we can do it ourselves”. Those cases remain unsolved.

That may be the case but technology is catching up and I believe the recent DNA progress relating to familial research is going to solve the ZODIAC and Jonbenet Ramsey case. Many others as well. My deep admiration to LE and to the self trained Geneologist Moore. A group of people who began a new era if crime resolution and are bringing peace to families who have struggled for years.

So a question for those who are in the camp that a PC that answers no questions is fine (I’m not sure how I feel at this point so I don’t consider it bad. I just don’t know if I consider it good/useful.).

What about the case could be compromised about confirming they suspect foul play? That’s the one thing that keeps me from being 100% in the camp that LE is doing this to protect the investigation. They won’t even say that. To me ‘this is out of character’ is not the same thing. Sure the volume of resources pretty much answers the question but then why the heck not just answer the question? What am I missing about the ramifications of answering at least that question.
Much as I believe LE thinks there is foul play re Mollie missing, they might not have evidence to substantiate that claim. Obviously they suspect it or they wouldn't have so much invested in finding her. Again, we don't know if someone accidentally hit her with their car and hid her for fear of going to jail themselves. LE and others seem pretty certain she wouldn't have run off on her own nor was she abducted by aliens. But where is the evidence someone kidnapped her? fwiw I think she was more than likely abducted but how and why?

For those that think that naming people in cases when they haven't been identified by law enforcement as a POI or suspect is no big deal, I encourage you to take a look at this article about an MD who may never practice due to false statements attributed to him:
Ricardo Quarrie, surgeon falsely accused of wrongdoing, tries to recover his name - CNN
Specifically, this:
Multiple news outlets, including CNN, covered Faxon's original remarks accusing Quarrie of lying to the patient. Even though it's been two years, those stories show up prominently on the first page of a Google search of Quarrie's name.
"Employers told me I was very qualified for positions, but patients Google their doctors, and they didn't feel like they could refer patients to me," said the cardiothoracic surgeon, who trained at Yale, the Cleveland Clinic and Ohio State.
"It's been a nightmare," added Quarrie, the father of two young children. "The spread of that information -- or misinformation -- is so rapid, and people really do believe what they read."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro