Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering why they don't take some of the reward money and pay the farmers to let them cut down the corn?
Crop revenue should yield roughly $750 / acre, 1 square mile is 640 acres, and mowing/removing live standing corn would be costly as well. Maybe feasible for a very small area, but we’re not talking about a very small area.

I still think the snapchat photo she sent is important in both the timeline and her location. While many think she disappeared on the run - without knowing the time she sent the SC to her BF - it is possible she returned did homework (as LE told the neighbor) and then sent the photo. So far I have only read he opened it at 10 or 10:30pm. Something about that SC could be important IMO

something can happen in the blink of an eye in places you would never expect. people always need to be aware of their surroundings, even in places that they believe are "safe."

a couple days ago i was shopping alone at Goodwill a few towns over. i was followed throughout the store by a man. he even waited outside the fitting room while i was changing. i immediately felt strange because i've been following Mollie's case and the town i was in has had problems recently with human trafficking. i sent my friends and family my current location and proceeded to check out. the man realized i was about to leave the store so he quickly ran out the door without buying a single item. he was in the store for as long as i was, which was about an hour. i felt especially uneasy because i had to walk out to my car alone. i asked the cashier if she could walk me out to my car and explained the situation to her. she said there have been problems in this area with men following girls.

if this happened to me a year ago, i would have never even realized the man because i ALWAYS used to go to public places with my eyes glued to my phone. i never was aware of my surroundings. sadly, the rise of human trafficking has opened my eyes and i am always looking around and being cautious. and of course because of Mollie's disappearance. if i didn't ask for help i don't know what would have happened. this man could have just been a coincidentally suspicious looking customer who had no bad intentions. it's way better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

i really wish people were more educated about staying alert and speaking up in situations where they feel uneasy. i see SO many people walking alone with their phones and headphones blaring music. i run frequently around my small town, and i no longer use headphones for that reason. never thought something like that would happen to me, and i really wish people were more aware of this problem. :(
Agree- and glad you’re safe!
I wish safety & self-defense classes were required for HS graduation as well as incoming freshmen in college.

From personal experience - no. My father did just that many years ago. I’ll never forget the FBI giving me a two hour interview (and yes, they interview family that they do not consider suspect too). And while we were searching Iowa he gave up and called home from California. Point being, it’s totally easy to just leave without a trace. It’s not so easy to stay disappeared for long - and personally I think Mollie and a person unknown are having that very discussion hundreds of miles away right now.
Wouldn’t there be a second missing person, if that were the case?

I have been approached by men in vehicles probably 5 times in the last 3 years while out walking. Two of these incidents were men in fancy cars with suits. “Do you need a ride?”

Twice was when it was raining, one time there was actually a huge lightning storm and I was tempted only for a quick microsecond when I decided I’ll take my chance on being struck by lightning. Sometimes there might not always be an ill intention, but as are the the days of not locking your doors gone, so are accepting rides from strangers. Just not worth the risk obviously.

(Yes this old hippy has hitchhiked before back in the day...I know you all are so surprised...come to think of it, that’s how I met one of my violent abusive exes...hitchhiking!!!)

ETA: Another time I was approached by 2 grooooossss men in a vehicle who looked like they were living out of their cars. They came right up on me head on and blinded me with their brights. I saw them coming and had mace in one hand and my phone in the the other. Had to make a quick decision which course to take, didn’t think I could mace both of them so instead called 911 with a vehicle description and my location, cops arrived almost immediately and chased them, so t know if they ever caught them.

My friends always say “I have mace”...I tell them a phone or mace is no good if you have to dig for it in your purse. You have to have it in your hand ready to go, or at least very quickly accessible like in your pocket. I had my finger on the 9 button as soon as I saw them approaching...they had previously driven by slowly so I had a feeling they were going to circle back around, which they did.

Last edited:
Pure speculation, with some confirmation bias sprinkled in...

Maybe her electronic data shows her communicating with an individual, back & forth, right up to the moment that she vanished, then all communication stopped. Theyve identified the individual and brought him/her in for questioning. They’re hoping Mollie is still alive, so they tell this person that they think Mollie left voluntarily, to give this person a false sense of security. “Did you pick her up that night? Were you with her at all? Did you see her? Maybe you picked her up and took her somewhere?” So they’re trying to break this person down, to eventually admit that, okay, maybe I did see her that night, but I dropped her off at DJ’s House and I don’t know what happened after that. Breaking down, little by little.

If they come out publicly and say they believe there was foul play, it could jeopardize their ability to get anything out of their POI.

Again, the above is pure speculation on my part.
That’s an interesting take. Certainly it’s one I would like to think is the case because it means they have a reason to believe she’s alive and a POI in their sights. Of course it works even if she isn’t alive to at least get him admitting to being with her before cornering him with the reality that if she’s dead and he was with her then... well he’s in trouble. I really want to believe that they have a POI and are close. I’m just having a tough time convincing myself as time goes on.

In my best Kevin Winker voice...

We will follow-up on all tips and information and make sure the investigative team prioritizes them appropriately. If there is a lead that we believe will lead to Mollie, our investigative team will pursue it aggressively.

That's the answer you'll get - mark my words.

:) ACG2x Loved your post! (what happened to the little smiley that rolls over laughing!)

Too bad they don't bring in professional searchers i.e. Texas EquuSearch, proper canines.

I am definitely NOT the techy-geeky type, so I didn't read your link. But on pinging (and I know this may be a stupid comment since I don't really understand it), my iphone reads my location as 30 miles away from here. I have to think if I ever went missing, my phone would be of no help in locating me. Like I said - I really don't "get" tech stuff.
If you go to settings, privacy and then location services, then check that you've got location services switched on. Then scroll down to maps and check it says "while using the app", then if you open up apple maps, press on the blue arrow near the top right and it should show your current location.

As it uses GPS, cellular towers and known wifi networks, it should be a little closer than 30 miles :)

If your indoors though GPS can struggle.

Of course this means that apple can track you when you're using the maps app, but you can choose between privacy and being located if you need help :)

Much as I believe LE thinks there is foul play re Mollie missing, they might not have evidence to substantiate that claim. Obviously they suspect it or they wouldn't have so much invested in finding her. Again, we don't know if someone accidentally hit her with their car and hid her for fear of going to jail themselves. LE and others seem pretty certain she wouldn't have run off on her own nor was she abducted by aliens. But where is the evidence someone kidnapped her? fwiw I think she was more than likely abducted but how and why?

FOR WHAT EVER motivation le has to not share info, it’s the cards they are playing.

I also understand, with as many personnel on the case there is a collective scrutiny and as a result very good reasons for doing so.

It very well may have related victims in other disappearances. The FBI maintains a site for unsolved disappearances posted here in previous threads. I’ll find it again. There’s a map.

Highway Serial Killings Initiative

Attachments

• 834772F6-4259-4AA0-9C42-EDD50977FF7A.jpeg
    834772F6-4259-4AA0-9C42-EDD50977FF7A.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The black SUV could be many things. Insurance investigator. Process server.
The older I get, the more I realize that I know almost nothing....

At 11:30 at night I would be surprised if it was an insurance investigator or process server. They generally work in the daytime, but I agree that it could be many other things. Mostly though it's just pointless. What are they going to do, put out APBs on all black SUVs in the area? It just shows how few leads they have.

I find this to be too much "coincidence".
Security cameras next door: Out of service. Dogs: Locked in basement. Roommates: Out of town.

Is it known whether the electric company was surprised to find the security camera not working? Or how long it had been out of commission? I apologize if this has already been discussed — I’ve being trying to keep up, but the threads are going fast!

What about the cart return areas?

JudgeJoe - I am sorry I took so long. I thought I had replied?? This thread moves so quickly. I am very worried I am not replying to folks fast enough.

She parked so that her driver's door was next to the cart return. And he used it to overpower her.

I think it should be part of driver's education. Let the big boys take those spots! I was taught in Driver's Ed to always park so my driver's door was facing the building. I drive my hubby nuts sometimes but it is just drilled in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid