Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
mollie looks unhappy, something is way off...mollie is more than just a sweet little cheerleader.

it doesn't mean she wasn't abducted. this is a good lesson of how someone's looks can be deceiving. I see someone else here, and it's concerning.

looks to me like she was having misgivings about many things..

I am worried because these things can be a catalyst .

but unhappy people, who maybe aren't ready

for primetime
for the country
for marriage
for adulthood
for pressure

can definitely be in danger in so many ways.

based on her photos and postings I would not rule out clinical or situational depression and suicide, even though she was going through the motions.

MOO

You are most welcome and I appreciate your knowledge as to VSCO. Do you know of any other platforms a person her age might use?
Hmm... most of us have seen her Instagram, Twitter, we know she has a Snapchat but everything there disappears after 24 hours unless saved in her private collection of 'Memories' which I'm sure police have looked through. Facebook, but probably rarely used, Tumblr (not many people use this anymore), Pinterest possibly, if there was any way to get into her History on Youtube that could give some insights but I feel like they probably have already looked into that. Venmo if she was sending money to her friends (but that might not give much... most college kids just pay back their friends after buying them something at the store or a drink). I can't think of any others but I'll keep thinking on this..

I’m kind of guessing maybe she was sort of flighty about that sort of thing. It seems like the family wasn’t super alarmed to not hear back from her, or not see her for dinner, etc. That just tells me that maybe she often made her own plans last minute or changed things up or ended up being late for things, etc. Which would be typical, I think, for a college student. They aren’t often notoriously punctual, I don’t think.... I just figure since they weren’t alarmed, it must have happened before. It’s possible they just had a “walk in” thing going for dinner. If she showed up, she showed up. If she didn’t, she didn’t. And brats really isn’t a whole huge sit-down dinner, anyway. At least not at my house. *shrugs*
Exactly. All that matters is that the mother wasn't concerned, not the reason why. Knowing why isn't going to help us figure anything out here. Mollie didn't show up, mom wasn't concerned, so what?

Hmm... most of us have seen her Instagram, Twitter, we know she has a Snapchat but everything there disappears after 24 hours unless saved in her private collection of 'Memories' which I'm sure police have looked through. Facebook, but probably rarely used, Tumblr (not many people use this anymore), Pinterest possibly, if there was any way to get into her History on Youtube that could give some insights but I feel like they probably have already looked into that. Venmo if she was sending money to her friends (but that might not give much... most college kids just pay back their friends after buying them something at the store or a drink). I can't think of any others but I'll keep thinking on this..
paypal might tell a lot or not so much

Dear PommyMommy,

Thank you so much for the generosity of your time, doing this for us.

You are remarkably kind and greatly appreciated!

I bolded and purpled the statement from Mollie's Mom. To me, this is very important pertaining to the timeline.

Namaste,

You're welcome. I know there are a few who can't watch these videos, so just trying to help. Way behind now though, lol.

Here are the highlights from the rest of the video:

• DAD: (Speaking of law enforcement) One of the most impressive groups of people he has met. Not only are they skilled, but they are motivated. Many are telling him that they have children Mollie's age and this is very personal for them. They're very angry people.
  • DALTON: (He is asked if he could talk to this person, what would he say?) He responds, "Uh, words that you can't say on TV."
  • DAD: (Same question) If you're with Mollie now, you obviously don't mean to hurt her, and this has gone far enough. You need to stop now and you need to face the consequences of what you've done so far, but if it goes any further it's going to get worse for you and, it's going to get worse for everyone, so just stop now. End this and let Mollie come home and face the consequences for just this.
  • MOM: I don't care about who the person was if we have her safe and sound.
  • DAD: We just miss Mollie. It's the "not knowing."
  • MOM: Doesn't know if she disappeared on her run or made it back to the house.
  • DALTON: They have known each other since 4th grade but started dating three years ago, coming up on three years. She was a grade lower. His HS class was 60 people.
  • MOM: Day is filled with phone calls and well wishes and managing her life with Mollie's two brothers. Hasn't had time to think about what comes next.
  • DAD: At some point, he needs to go back to California. His life there and been on hold, and he doesn't know when "that is" (when he'll go back). It was going to be in a week because they would find Mollie, then it was going to be in another week and they're all just in this state of limbo. He says as long as we can keep looking and be effective and be helpful to the authorities, we'll all keep putting in the effort.
Link to video: 13Raw: Tibbetts Family Keeping Hope Alive That Mollie Will Come Home Safe

JMO but I take the stats and comments about suicide to be ‘awareness raising’ on Mollie’s part and not signs of major depression nor suicidal intent. And the pics seem pretty typical of what I see other teens posting. Regardless though, young women should not be afraid of abduction because they posted pictures of themselves on social media.

I have a question about the polygraph WC said he wasn’t going to consent to: is it common for a person who has not been named as a person of interest to be asked to take a polygraph? I thought the request for a polygraph on the part of LE was pretty serious?

Just throwing a thought out there about suicide. How many avid runners are suicidal? To me it seems running is very cathartic and I’ve heard runners say that. If she wasn’t running for training and she was depressed it makes no sense. Depressed people generally have ambition to do much of anything.

IMO, "appropriate" varies. I would agree that personally I see the risks in posting such photos. I am a huge advocate for internet safety and actually incorporate it into workshops I facilitate for caregivers. But, from a realistic perspective, this IS what the average young adult posts. A 20 year old's brain is still not fully developed and the prefrontal cortex is the last part to develop in mid 20s. It is responsible for rational decision making and the ability to effectively control impulses and reduce risk taking in addition to other high level functions. Taking "inappropriate" photos and posting publicly would fall within typical late adolescent early adult decision making. Moo.

I don’t think I had heard of VSCO before today. I just looked my son up. No account. But I found an account for his 18 year old girlfriend, and she has some very similar pictures to Mollie’s posted. Also, I bet my son’s girlfriend’s mom does not know about this account. My guess is that Mollie’s parents didn’t know either. Is LE keeping accounts like this active to track possible suspects who might “follow” her? Because if my daughter was missing and I knew how many were googling her name and SM accounts, I would want these posts removed. :(

I wouldn't put too much store by the tweets about mental health, weight, suicide etc. I saw someone in her circle had the same - in fact, so similar were the remarks and the RTs of different things that it did cross my mind if there was some jealousy on the part of the other person towards Mollie. That they were trying to be/wanting to be like the 'popular girl' that everyone liked and wanted to be friends with in real life as much as on social media, that made them feel inadequate. Just my thoughts.
I have to agree. I know it's often a surprise when someone does commit suicide and anyone can have their moments, but I just don't see her doing it and not leaving some kind of closure for her family and friends. If she did it, she would have left some kind of notice behind.

JMO but I take the stats and comments about suicide to be ‘awareness raising’ on Mollie’s part and not signs of major depression nor suicidal intent. And the pics seem pretty typical of what I see other teens posting. Regardless though, young women should not be afraid of abduction because they posted pictures of themselves on social media.

I have a question about the polygraph WC said he wasn’t going to consent to: is it common for a person who has not been named as a person of interest to be asked to take a polygraph? I thought the request for a polygraph on the part of LE was pretty serious?
In the course of an investigation, asking people to take a polygraph is not at all unusual. In an investigation of this scope, even less so. And I completely agree, her social media is typical for someone her age.

The Fitbit data tied to a hog farm. WC sold the farm some time ago, right? So it can't be tied to his property.

'I have nothing to hide,' farmer interviewed about Mollie Tibbetts says after refusing FBI's polygraph request
Snipped and BBM from above article:

"I have nothing to hide," Wayne Cheney said Monday evening, explaining that he'd previously spoken to agents for well over an hour and allowed them to search his residence and 70-acre farm.

Cheney's property was searched July 25;

He said investigators had searched his property and cellphone.

I'm wondering if it was results of cell phone analysis that have brought LE back for several subsequent interviews with WC.

Exactly. All that matters is that the mother wasn't concerned, not the reason why. Knowing why isn't going to help us figure anything out here. Mollie didn't show up, mom wasn't concerned, so what?
jumping off this, ive also never been convinced her mom wasnt concerned about the no show for dinner. just bc she/they waited until thursday morning (including the bf/brothers input about her not responding/getting the car) doesnt mean at dinner she was like "lol wheres mollie but yay, more brats for us"

since le has released so little, i think its possible she actually was concerned why mollie didnt show but at first, was worried it was more emotional (re fight w the bf, wedding drama, class assignment) and at first was prying her brother(s) for info about mollie's mood that day, tried contact her multiple times herself, maybe texted her dad and as the night went on, stated to get more concerned. mollie was an adult partially living w her bf, i can see why a missing report wasnt attempted to be filed within the first 6 - 8 hours, some of which were late evening time. her family may be kicking themselves now but i think its entirely understandable the first official action (we know of) was thursday, imo.

Jmo but just from experience I know breaking up with the BF from home once you are at college is not easy...more so, if he wants to get married and you aren’t thinking that way yet. Who knows what she was thinking...we don’t. But I have not seen anything indicating she did want to break up.

Video shows Mollie Tibbetts sharing personal story about prayer in 2016
Video shows Mollie Tibbetts sharing personal story about prayer in 2016
I tried to search this thread to see if this had been posted previously but I kept getting an error message. In the video, MT mentions having trouble breathing. Wonder if it was a medical condition? [edited to remove reference to asthma].

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member